Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

How to hook up a Xbox 360 to a PC monitor?

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Choi

Ok, guys and gals, again, I need your help.  

So, how do I do it? 
    I was thinking to connect the 360 RGB cable to a RGB to S vid adapter to my graphic card and use some software to show it on the monitor. Is that even possible and if so, what software do I need? 

If there's a easier way, please let me know. 

Thank you =)

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By xMP44x

You will need an Xbox 360 VGA Cable. They're roughly $20, I would say. Look in local retailers or buy one online. It's basically a VGA Cable, with a different connection at one end which goes into the 360. Plug the other end into the monitor and screw it in, and everything should work fine from right now. Note that the display might look a little terrible till you get into the System Settings menu on your Xbox 360 and fix it, by upping the resolution to the highest your monitor will allow and the like. That should be everything done. I made the switch from SD to a monitor a well, and if it's one you're in a position to make I highly recommend it.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45

What Mp44 said. Once you go monitor you don't go back. 

Although I did go back.. when I got an HDTV for the end of my bed. But that's besides the point.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Choi

I live in Croatia, retailers don't have much, and the stuff they have is expensive as hell. I just saw this cable you speak off at a retailers web shop for 55 $. And here, thats a lot! I can get a 360 wireless controller for the price of that cable. 
    Is there an adapter to convert the original 360 RGB cable to VGA?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor
    @Choi said:
    " I live in Croatia, retailers don't have much, and the stuff they have is expensive as hell. I just saw this cable you speak off at a retailers web shop for 55 $. And here, thats a lot! I can get a 360 wireless controller for the price of that cable. Is there an adapter to convert the original 360 RGB cable to VGA? "
    Can't you order online? Even with shipping, surely it would come to less than that? Pretty sure it's only official MS ones that are widely available and MS do like to gouge consumers for official accessories
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You have a hdmi xbox360? If you do, then you can get a hdmi to dvi cable.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Chris2KLee

HDMI is the simplest option if both your system and monitor have those ports, although audio might have to split off if you don't have speakers built in. Otherwise Vitor has the best advice, try some HK sites that do electronics, they are usually cheap, but the quality might not be the best.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pinworm45

Is there even a such thing as an RGB input to a VGA Output adapter? I can't even find it googlin'

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xMP44x
    @Choi said:

I live in Croatia, retailers don't have much, and the stuff they have is expensive as hell. I just saw this cable you speak off at a retailers web shop for 55 $. And here, thats a lot! I can get a 360 wireless controller for the price of that cable. Is there an adapter to convert the original 360 RGB cable to VGA?  

Damn man, that is insane o_O

Try finding a web retailer like eBay and ship it over. There are some unofficial VGA cables which do a perfectly good job, so don't be lured into thinking it must be a Microsoft branded cable. It doesn't, and mine is not. If you can find any VGA Cables that have an end for the Xbox 360 they'll work flawlessly, so that might save you a little money. There are also things like the 'Grand Hand View III', which theoretically might work, though I only know for certain they work with capture cards and VGA monitors. It's not impossible you could use a Grand Hand View to connect and convert the signal, but it'd be highly experimental, and if you live in Croatia it might not be worthwhile to even try considering the pricing of everything.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By jonnyboy

Unofficial Xbox to VGA adapter cost me a few quid on eBay. Comes with stereo phono outs connected. Works like a charm.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By takua108

Hey there! I had this exact same question a few weeks back myself. Moving into a dorm room at college and not having a TV but buying a 360 and assuming it would work on a DVI monitor automagically didn't work out so well at first, but, with a bit of fiddling, you can make it work! 

First of all, this is assuming you have a HDMI-out on your 360, and a DVI-in on your monitor. If you do, the snag yourself one of these for a mere $8.37 + shipping. Now you've got the video covered, but what about the sound? 

The method I'm going with, but cannot confirm 100% that it will work, is buying this Xbox 360 Hi-Def Audio Adapter thing. Because I don't know if you know this, but HDMI shoots out both video and audio, and by converting HDMI to DVI, you're losing the audio in the process. This thing will plug into your normal Xbox 360 A/V-out jack, but instead of giving you the all of the colored cables, you get just good ol' red & white RCA and an optical audio, which is something I know literally nothing about. From the RCA audio-out you can put it into your speakers or whatever, but you might need some converters depending on what kind of speakers you have. 

While this all is shipping I ended up going even further than this. I already own a nice LCD monitor and a decent set of 5.1 computer speakers, so I devised a series of switches and cables that will give me the ultimate dorm setup on the cheap: with one monitor and one set of speakers, I'm going to be able to plug my PC, laptop, and Xbox 360 in all at once, and switch the audio and video going to the monitor and speakers between any of these three at will. I might write up my exact purchase list and such if anyone's interested, and when it comes in the mail in a few days, I'll probably do a blog post too :) 

EDIT: Also, if you want, you can just get a USB A/V capture device, but I strongly suggest you don't. This is what I've been using while my stuff is shipping, and it sucks massively. There's a noticeable input lag, and the video quality is absolute shit... admittedly, this was a cheap Radio Shack thing, but if you're going to invest money in a setup, I'd advise to do it my way.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Choi

I don't have a credit card to buy online. I just found a used one for 22 $, called the guy, I'm gonna pick it up in the couple of hours. Thanks all. 

But, now I'm wondering, is it possible to connect it like I said? Trough S-vid?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

360 VGA cable, HDMI? then HDMI to DVI or an VGA or DVI selector box that accepts component inputs.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47

For sound, there is an av (red white av cable) to stero adapter (3.5mm) for pc speakers.

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Phr4nk0
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

For sound, there is an av (red white av cable) to stero adapter (3.5mm) for pc speakers.

"

Yeah I used the microsoft vga cable to connect it to a second vga port on my monitor, with the av to stereo adapter for speakers. Plugged into a stereo splitter so i don't have to switch speakers to/from xbox/computer. Was a bit of a hassle to figure it all out but the spliters/adapters cost me like 3 bucks from dick smith. VGA cable was the killer, $50 bucks. Controllers are around 70 and games 80-110 depending on where you buy here.
    ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Use a VGA or HDMI to DVI cable.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Choi

Hey guys, I bought and hooked up my 360 with the official VGA xbox 360 cable. It's GREAT but if you look reaaaaally closely, it looks like there's a silhouette of the real picture slightly off the real feed. Is that normal and what can I do to get rid of it because it's getting on my nerves.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Choi said:
    " Hey guys, I bought and hooked up my 360 with the official VGA xbox 360 cable. It's GREAT but if you look reaaaaally closely, it looks like there's a silhouette of the real picture slightly off the real feed. Is that normal and what can I do to get rid of it because it's getting on my nerves. "
    Ghosting. It is your monitor, you won't be able to get rid of it.
    Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Choi
    @SpikeSpiegel: hmmm.. I don't have the sharpest eyesight but there's no ghosting when the monitor is hooked up to the PC.  

The monitor has an DVI and VGA output so it turned out even better, I don't need to unhook anything to switch between PC and Xbox. 
    I use dual monitors for the PC and the bigger one, now, acts as a 360 monitor as well. I just need to check/ uncheck one box in the graphics control panel. =)  

But, why the ghosting?
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Choi: I could be wrong, I'm not an expert. :) Are you getting that silhouette when there isn't any movement on screen?
    Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Choi
    @SpikeSpiegel: Yeah, it's most noticeable on the dashboard while looking at the letters.
    Torinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Torinel

Did you set your Xbox 360 Resolution and Refresh rate to match those recommended for your monitor ? Also, since your monitor has two entries, I guess you still have your PC entry connected on the other port, you may want to try to unhook the PC feed to see if it doesn't create interferences.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By takua108

As a quick update, I got my audio adapter in the mail today, and it works awesomely. If you have an HDMI-capable Xbox 360 and are willing to possibly swing by RadioShack or what have you to pick up a RCA red/white audio male to 1/8" male (or female, depending) cable, depending on what kind of speaker setup you have, my above method works great for getting you basic audio to your computer speakers and video to your computer monitor from your Xbox 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My SD television was incompatible with my 360 so I got the VGA cable and it was the most awesome thing ever. Nowadays I play on a big Plasma TV, but I think I actually prefer the smaller size of the LCD computer monitor, plus it's harder to notice graphical inconsistencies / jaggies because the pixels are closer together. 

If you keep unplugging the console from the monitor to swap with a PC; eventually the pins in the end of the cable will break (I can't remember if the pins were on the cable or the cable-sex-change adapter).

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Choi
    @Torinel:   I can't set the refresh rate of the 360, and the resolution is the monitors optimal. I don't get it!  And I tried unplugging the DVI (computer) cable, didn't do nothing for the picture.
    @afrofools:  I don't unplug the monitor, I can hook up both at the same time. 

@takua108:  I plugged and extension part to the end of the L and R audio at the end of the 360 cable, used a normal 2 channel cable and hooked them up to my old stereo that I also have my PC hooked up.  

Basically, I only need to cancel the dual monitor setup in my nvidia control panel (3 clicks max) and press 1 button on the stereo to change the audio channel from PC to Xbox... 
    Setup IS GREAT!!! 

But I can't get rid of the ghosting!  =(
    Torinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Torinel
    @Choi:  Last question : what is your monitor response time ? If it's too high, then the afterglow is pretty much normal and there's pretty much nothing you can do...
    Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Choi
    @Torinel: 5 ms. I did a bit of googling, looks like it's because of the quality of the Xbox 360 AVI cable.  It is the official, original Microsoft 360 cable, but I bought it from a guy, not in a store. It was still in the package thou. I seems like it wasn't opened. What if I bought the AVI- DVI converter and stick it in the monitors' DVI slot? 
    Torinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Torinel
    @Choi: I used to have my 360 plugged (with the official VGA cable) in a crappier monitor than yours, and did not remember having any problems, that's strange... Does your 360 have an HDMI port ? An HDMi-> DVI adapter seems a good and cheap solution.
    Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Choi
    @Torinel: Yes it does... I'll try to find and buy that cable and try that, but first I'll get the AVI- DVI little converter and stick it on the end of the 360 avi cable and plug it that way, maybe that fixes the problem. Thank you (and everyone else) anyway. 
    I'll post here how I fixed it if you like, IF I fix it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.