Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Microsoft Confirming Blu-Ray Add-on for Xbox 360

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#1  Edited By citizenkane
    http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-ceo-confirms-blu-ray-add-on-for-xbox-360-152708.phtml    

Gizmodo has an exclusive interview with Microsoft CEO's Steve Ballmer going up in full this Friday. Until then, they're releasing little clips from the interview and the one they have up right now sees the CEO talking about Natal, and more importantly, a Blu-ray add-on accessory for the Xbox 360.

Gizmodo asked Steve Ballmer on whether we'll see any Xbox 360s with a Blu-ray drive to which Ballmer replied by stating that "you'll be able to get Blu-ray drives as accessories." No time frame is given for when we'll see this Blu-ray accessory and Xbox spokespeople avoided answering the question when Gizmodo pressed for further information. 

So after all this time, a Blu-ray accessory is coming to the Xbox 360. Neato? I don't know about you, but I'm just going to sit back and watch as the entire Internet collapses from the fanboy war that's about to unfold.

I already have a PS3 for my Blu-Ray needs, but it is cool to see that Microsoft is finally getting on board with Blu-Ray, even if it is only an external add-on right now.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bubahula

huh well that was unexpected. cool

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By gike987
    @CitizenKane said:
    " http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-ceo-confirms-blu-ray-add-on-for-xbox-360-152708.phtml   

Gizmodo has an exclusive interview with Microsoft CEO's Steve Ballmer going up in full this Friday. Until then, they're releasing little clips from the interview and the one they have up right now sees the CEO talking about Natal, and more importantly, a Blu-ray add-on accessory for the Xbox 360.

Gizmodo asked Steve Ballmer on whether we'll see any Xbox 360s with a Blu-ray drive to which Ballmer replied by stating that "you'll be able to get Blu-ray drives as accessories." No time frame is given for when we'll see this Blu-ray accessory and Xbox spokespeople avoided answering the question when Gizmodo pressed for further information. 

So after all this time, a Blu-ray accessory is coming to the Xbox 360. Neato? I don't know about you, but I'm just going to sit back and watch as the entire Internet collapses from the fanboy war that's about to unfold.

I already have a PS3 for my Blu-Ray needs, but it is cool to see that Microsoft is finally getting on board with Blu-Ray, even if it is only an external add-on right now.

"
    The cool thing is that they basically paying sony for an xbox add-on. That's kinda ironic.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Evilsbane

Hmm wonder what they will charge

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By emkeighcameron

I don't see this becoming a wildly successful product......in fact it seems like kind of a desperation move on MS's part, to suck up some of the "value" that the Blu-Ray has added to Sony's product. 

I have 5 friends who own PS3's, and I don't know if it's just the social circles I hang out in or a general trend, but none of them ever use the Blu-Ray functionality. They all just play DVDs in the damn thing, because none of them want to pay more (either renting or buying) for a Blu-Ray disk. I bet the same trend will apply for the X360's Blu-Ray player.

Is my experience entirely wrong? Do a lot of people actually buy and play Blu-Rays? 

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Insectecutor

I'm instantly suspicious as to whether this isn't just Ballmer running his mouth as usual. I don't think the 360 would benefit from blu-ray at all.

@emkeighcameron said:

"  I don't see this becoming a wildly successful product......in fact it seems like kind of a desperation move on MS's part, to suck up some of the "value" that the Blu-Ray has added to Sony's product.   I have 5 friends who own PS3's, and I don't know if it's just the social circles I hang out in or a general trend, but none of them ever use the Blu-Ray functionality. They all just play DVDs in the damn thing, because none of them want to pay more (either renting or buying) for a Blu-Ray disk. I bet the same trend will apply for the X360's Blu-Ray player. Is my experience entirely wrong? Do a lot of people actually buy and play Blu-Rays?  "

How can this be a "desperation move" if nobody cares about the feature? Sounds more like a "why the hell not" move to me.
    Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pantalooney

If the price is right, i might sell my ps3 and get me that add-on instead. I currently only use my ps3 for blu-ray and my 360 for gaming.

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pinkshley1

Coolio

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By randiolo
    @Pantalooney: that just seems very short sited.. but do wat u will i suppose.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gike987
    @emkeighcameron said:
    "  I don't see this becoming a wildly successful product......in fact it seems like kind of a desperation move on MS's part, to suck up some of the "value" that the Blu-Ray has added to Sony's product.   I have 5 friends who own PS3's, and I don't know if it's just the social circles I hang out in or a general trend, but none of them ever use the Blu-Ray functionality. They all just play DVDs in the damn thing, because none of them want to pay more (either renting or buying) for a Blu-Ray disk. I bet the same trend will apply for the X360's Blu-Ray player. Is my experience entirely wrong? Do a lot of people actually buy and play Blu-Rays?  "
    I use blu-ray the quality of the picture is much better. But I don't use the PS3 player that much, because I don't watch so many movies then I'm not traveling and if I travel I use my laptop.
    blackhrt86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blackhrt86

I don't see the short term benefit to this, but by the time the long term benefits kick in (Blu-ray replacing standard DVD as the preferred video media disc), the accessory will probably be useless since the console cycle will likely have ended and the next Microsoft console would probably have a Blu-ray drive built in..... and the Wii2 will readily allow DVD usage after the death of DVD.

They'll probably charge about the same as cheap Blu-ray player for the accessory because they're Microsoft.

But honestly, with netflix streaming, and this instant 1080 streaming they're boasting, I don't see the point.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MeierTheRed

Didn't Microsoft at one point say they where never going to make a Blu-Ray addon, and that they didn't need one.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Insectecutor said:

" I'm instantly suspicious as to whether this isn't just Ballmer running his mouth as usual. I don't think the 360 would benefit from blu-ray at all.

@emkeighcameron said:

How can this be a "desperation move" if nobody cares about the feature? Sounds more like a "why the hell not" move to me. "
     Yeah, you're right. It just seems really extraneous to me, like a really obvious attempt to copy Sony's efforts. Something about an external drive screams "damage control" to me. And I know people will counter with "they're just adding more value to the product", but that's just not the way I see it.

But again, I'm not really a console gamer OR Blu-Ray viewer. 
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By Atlas

I think at this point, if Microsoft wanted me to pay like £100 or more for a Blu-Ray add-on, there are enough quality exclusive PS3 games that I would just said fuck that and fuck the Sony hate and buy a PS3. So, neat, but no thanks.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks

If it sounds as bad as their HD-DVD drive, Microsoft can go shove it up Billy boys arse for all I care. I wont be buying crap again.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaneDev

This is Steve Ballmer talking... so its probably bullshit.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nanikore

Blu rings of death?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By penguindust
    @Evilsbane said:
    " Hmm wonder what they will charge "
    $299!  Get it?  See what I did there? ;-D
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nanikore
    @PenguinDust: I see what you did there!
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Not really surprising. They were obviously going for the HD entertainment system market with the HD-DVD drive, so it makes sense that now HD-DVD is dead they'll do a blu-ray add-on

@gike987 said:

"The cool thing is that they basically paying sony for an xbox add-on. That's kinda ironic. "

Not really. Sony have to pay money to Microsoft for using blu-ray in the PS3 too. Both Sony & Microsoft are major members of the Blu-Ray Disk Association. They both own relatively large proportions of the blu-ray technology.
    Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good that Blu-Ray is expanding it's user base, but if MS starts charging high prices like they do for their Hard Drives for the 360 then it's going to be a tough sell.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

The only way to make this a good value would be to make it free, should they release it. The fact that you can get a PS3 Slim that has built in WiFi and Blu-ray for 300 bucks beats the 360 hands down in value.

cjmhockey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cjmhockey

Depending on the price I'd consider getting it.

sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sammpoo

Meh blue rays are too expensive anyway

I'll stick to free things on the internet in DVD quality

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Evilsbane
    @PenguinDust said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    $299!  Get it?  See what I did there? ;-D "
    Oh you clever little penguin
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @cjmhockey said:
    " Depending on the price I'd consider getting it. "
    Think of the price tag thats on their wireless adapter. Now imagine a Blu-Ray being priced by Microsoft.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

as an accessory? so seperate device you have to plug into the xbxox, right? omg who the fuck is gonna buy that lol.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Evilsbane

I have to say Last night went out got a PS3 hooked it up in the "movie" room with 7.1 and a 50 inch LCD and threw in Terminator 2 and I have been made a believer in Blu ray its pretty impressive, not to mention T2 looking amazing and its 20 years old!

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By nrain

This seems to be a really silly thing for MS to do, since they predominently focus on online media with the xbox and the new 1080p instant streaming. If they want to really cause the paradigm shift to an all online medium this contradicts their strategy.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gike987
    @MattyFTM said:

@gike987

said:

"The cool thing is that they basically paying sony for an xbox add-on. That's kinda ironic. "

Not really. Sony have to pay money to Microsoft for using blu-ray in the PS3 too. Both Sony & Microsoft are major members of the Blu-Ray Disk Association. They both own relatively large proportions of the blu-ray technology. "
    I guess your right. Still Sony was one of the companies that made Blu-Ray, and for xbox using anything even remotely connected to Sony is ironic. Because Sony and Microsoft compete so much that you can't think of them using something conected to the other.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By skrutop

Choice is always a good thing, but for me the add-on will have to be dirt cheap, around $100, for it to be worth purchasing.  I would bet that it would cost much more than that.  Since PS3's are $300, I'd rather get one of those and then have access to the console's exclusive games.  I'm more of a Netflix instant-streaming kinda guy, and I won't bother replacing my DVDs.  That being said, if I had a Blu-Ray player, I'd definitely start buying/renting my movies on Blu-Ray.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By nick_verissimo

For a minute there I got really excited about there being a blu-ray add on for the 360, but I remembered how ridiculously overpriced this is going to be.  The only price point that would work for me is 100 bucks, because if they bring it in around $200 dollars then I might as well drop the extra $100 and get a PS3.  But knowing microsoft it'll probably be around $150 just to make this decision a really bitch.  If only Canada had netflix, then I'd just use the 1080p streaming and not have to worry about this nonsense.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @gike987 said:
    " @MattyFTM said:

@gike987

said:

Not really. Sony have to pay money to Microsoft for using blu-ray in the PS3 too. Both Sony & Microsoft are major members of the Blu-Ray Disk Association. They both own relatively large proportions of the blu-ray technology. "
    I guess your right. Still Sony was one of the companies that made Blu-Ray, and for xbox using anything even remotely connected to Sony is ironic. Because Sony and Microsoft compete so much that you can't think of them using something conected to the other. "
    But Microsoft was also one of the companies that made Blu-Ray. Blu-ray is a huge joint venture from tonnes & tonnes of companies. MS & Sony were both majorly involved in it's development. Both were founding members of the Blu-ray Disk Association & put a lot of resources into its development.  It's no more ironic for MS to use blu-ray than it is for Sony to use Blu-ray.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Evilsbane
    @gike987: Yea your right it is kinda odd but Microsoft doesn't have a choice Bluray will eventually become the Major format and they aren't gonna be caught with their pants down when it gets really big.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#35  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @emkeighcameron said:
    I own a ton of Blu-Rays.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By tebbit
    @PenguinDust said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    $299!  Get it?  See what I did there? ;-D "
    HEY-O!
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Kombat said:
    " @emkeighcameron said:
    I own a ton of Blu-Rays. "
    But are you a lot of people?
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By TheHBK

I don't really see this as confirmation, the same shit has come out of Bill Gates' mouth and then it was retracted or meant something else.  Until I actually see a picture of the thing and someone talking about it in full, then I will believe.

Now, as for price, these assholes will probably charge $200 bucks for it, just like they did the HDDVD, however, that was priced to be cheaper than standalone players, and considering that the xbox would do the heavylifting, it should not cost more than $100, it is just a drive.  But since they are paying sony, who knows.  The cheapest blu ray players are $150 right now, and will be lower once CES comes and goes.  Which is where they might show it.  But I am not sure if I would get it, since I have a PS3, but this would be a neat add on, and it doesnt hurt to have a spare blu ray player around to complete the set.

Now as for you guys talking about how MS will have to pay sony, while true, it doesnt mean that Sony is not paying MS or Nintendo for that matter, some kind of royalty on the patents they use in the PS3 considering that Nintendo did invent a lot of gaming principles used today and MS is a tech juggernaut.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @pornstorestiffi said:
    " Didn't Microsoft at one point say they where never going to make a Blu-Ray addon, and that they didn't need one. "
    Yeah they did. Back when HD-DVD was alive.

This is good news though!
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Jeffsekai

it depends how much they charge, if its 100$ or more no thanks I'll just buy an actual Blu-Ray player or a PS3 we will have to see tho.

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Insectecutor said:
    How can this be a "desperation move" if nobody cares about the feature? Sounds more like a "why the hell not" move to me. "
    Agreed
    wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#42  Edited By wrecks

About time really. No reason it shouldn't have it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By eroticfishcake

Thought you were sammpoo for a second there. Anyway, I don't like this idea really. I just think add-ons aren't fantastic, it's like adding the rest of the pieces to an unfinished product.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By angelkanarias
    @emkeighcameron said:
    I do buy and play bluays, I mean, if you have  a bluray player, why do you want to keep seeing shity DVDs?
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gike987
    @MattyFTM said:

" @gike987 said:
    But Microsoft was also one of the companies that made Blu-Ray. Blu-ray is a huge joint venture from tonnes & tonnes of companies. MS & Sony were both majorly involved in it's development. Both were founding members of the Blu-ray Disk Association & put a lot of resources into its development.  It's no more ironic for MS to use blu-ray than it is for Sony to use Blu-ray. "

"Announced in 1999 by Philips and Sony"
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @creamypies said:
    " @pornstorestiffi said:
    " Didn't Microsoft at one point say they where never going to make a Blu-Ray addon, and that they didn't need one. "
    Yeah they did. Back when HD-DVD was alive.  This is good news though! "  
    I guess it is for some. Bu't i don't see why people would buy a 360 addon (which has high chances of being very expensive) instead of just buying a stand alone blu-Ray player, they have dropped significantly in price, and pretty much all new models have ethernet or another way for upgrading to new feature sets when they become available.

For for all those people who own both a PS3 and a 360, there is really no point.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JoelTGM
    @gike987 said:
    " The cool thing is that they basically paying sony for an xbox add-on. That's kinda ironic. "
    MS will just overprice it to make profit though.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By FCKSNAP

Anyone who thinks blurays are expensive are doin it wrong. Shop on places like Amazon and DeepDiscount where they sell them at the same price point as DVDs.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Branthog

Congratulations on adopting a format that will quickly become a never was, Microsoft!

Everyone is keenly aware that while bluray is temporarily the format to get for high fidelity, it's not going to truly gain traction before it is replaced by streaming and other digital (as in online/downloaded/hard-drive/on-demand/etc) options. There's nothing more beautiful than a great movie on my 60" SXRD with my huge audio system and a great 1080p bluray film. However, it's hard to justify blowing $20-$30 each movie for things that will probably be watched once or twice in their entire life-span and will be replaced by another delivery method in the next few years.

It's a technology that is currently superior, but will be looked back on in history as the winning format that never really was.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TwoOneFive

LOL XD 
    little late to the game. i wonder if they will let people exchange their useless $200 hd-dvd players for a new bd player?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.