Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Microsoft fails another loyal customer (transcript included)

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

Edited By infestedandy

I've been associated with Microsoft and their creation, the Xbox 360 since its release back in November of 2005. Despite all of its problems, red-rings and all, I've had a great time with it. However, I recently ran into an issue that came up back in 2011, where Xbox 360 consoles wouldn't play certain game discs. After consulting Microsoft on several occasions, they've basically told me that they don't care.

So let's address the problem at hand. Microsoft issued a disc format change to what's called the XGD-3, which holds an additional gigabyte of security. You can see a list of the games utilizing this format right here. While seemingly innocuous, this change of format has rendered certain 360 consoles unable to play the latest games and I guess it started with games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Batman: Arkham City.

What's strange is that people affected by this problem were able to play some of these titles for a while before they began to act up. I for one, reviewed Modern Warfare 3 without an issue at all, but as soon as I put Arkham City in my console? Forget it. Two days ago I opened up a new copy of Arkham City and sat down to play it, but immediately as I put the game disc in, things began to go awry.

I've tried everything to make this game work: signing out, starting it, then signing in, playing online/offline, removing the HDD, clearing the cache, every little thing anyone can think of has been done to try and clear this problem, but alas, nothing works. I even tried running every single game in my library and they all work, with the exception of Arkham City. Just for the sake of testing purposes, I even brought the game over to a friend's that had the Xbox 360 slim model and, wouldn't you know, the game works fine over there.

After concluding it wasn't the game disc, that's what prompted me to search for other people having this problem. I remembered something from last year, where people were having this issue and I happened upon a few articles stating my issue exactly. At that time, Microsoft was replacing consoles, but now?

They couldn't care less.

I've had my Xbox Elite for a bit over two years now I'm not asking for a free console, but I am asking for a fix to a problem I didn't cause. Until I get it, I can't play the new games using this disc format which basically metamorphoses my Xbox 360 into a really expensive coaster.

After calling the service center multiple times and chatting with several customer support representatives, every person I spoke to had something different to say, but they all agreed - they couldn't and wouldn't help me. What you'll read below is the transcript of my conversation with one such rep. Butchered English and all:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I've emboldened the important bits to make it an easier read)

Please wait for an agent to respond. You are currently '1' in the queue.

Privacy Statement

You are now chatting with '-----'.

Xbox Support: Hi Andrew , thank you for contacting Xbox Support, my name is -----.

Xbox Support: Please give me a few minutes to check on your inquiry.

you: Sure.

Xbox Support: I understand that the game Batman Arkham will not work on your console.

Xbox Support: But that it works on your friends' console.

Xbox Support: Let me quote this one:

Xbox Support:This is happening to consoles randomly to old and new. What happened is that games the were manufactured during the last quarter of 2011 were manucfactured using a new disc technology and that is the XGD-3. XGD-3 is a counterpart of blue ray. What it does is it enhances the video and audio capabilities of a game. As a result of this new technology some consoles are not able to read game in these disc. As an action here in xbox, our engineers have been working on a update to fix this for the mast month. When the update is out, everyone will be notified via xbox live. We do apologize again for the inconvenience.

you: It's the only game that will not work. I just opened it last night and it has no scratches and hasn't been defaced in any way.

you: So I just need to wait for this update to come out then?

Xbox Support: Yes or if not we can have your console repaired.

you: Is there a time-table on when it's going to release? Otherwise I can't use my Xbox until that happens - to play the newest games anyway.

Xbox Support: To see if there is any problem with the optical drive not reading that partiular disc.

you: No thanks. I've already troubleshot and there's nothing wrong with the lens in this particular console.

you: So is there any kind of time-table then?

Xbox Support:To be honest, right now we do not have any information though.

Xbox Support: What we have is that they are working on it.

Xbox Support: But then again there is always an option of sending the console for repair.

you: So then, I can only use this thing to play older games? That's extremely inconvenient.

you: Again, no thank you. All the symptoms point to what you said and that's not going to fix the problem. If the only way to clear it up is to wait for an update then what choice do I have?

you: Would the repairs be free?

Xbox Support: Sorry again.

Xbox Support: If your console is in warranty it will be but if not then you will have to pay $99.00 plus tax on an online repair order.

you: So I have to wait for an update that has no time-table and then even if I sent it in to get repaired for an issue that isn't my fault at all, I'd have to pay for it.

you: This is rather upsetting.

you: In the articles I'm looking at online right now, it said Microsoft would be able to diagnose the issue over Xbox Live.

you: Is there any way you could do that?

Xbox Support: Sorry to keep you waiting.

Xbox Support: Unfortunately Xbox Live can't do nothing about this matter,

Xbox Support: And I know that this could be frustrating on your end, but right now these are the only options that we have.

Xbox Support: If you don't mind what is the serial number of of your console?

you: It's '12-digit number'.

Xbox Support: Right now it shows on the system that the console is out of warranty.

you: Well, yeah.

you: I bought this thing years ago.

Xbox Support: And I have checked with my Tech Lead and was advise, that either wait for the patch or process a repair for the console.

you: This really is unbelievable. I know it's not your fault, obviously, but for something like this to happen is ridiculous. Not to mention telling one of the consumers of the product that they're "just going to have to wait" to be able to play any newer games. It wouldn't be as bad if there was a time-table but there isn't so I could be waiting for longer than a month.

you: Having already been through four red-ringed consoles since the release of the system, this is it for me. Again, it's not YOUR fault, but this is unbelievable. I've been through enough and I don't have the time or patience anymore for this.

you: Thank you for your information, but Microsoft has lost a customer. It might not mean anything to them at this stage, but it should.

you: Thank you again and have a decent rest of your day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rep did put a Team Manager on the line with me, but after a lengthy discussion, they concluded that 'nothing was wrong' with the console itself and therefore the only thing they could offer was a repair - for over $100. When asked about the console replacement program from a while back they had no idea it even existed.

I'm not asking for a free handout, I just want a solution for this problem and apparently I'm too little, too late. For argumentative purposes, I've gone through four Xbox 360 red-ring incidents and still I persisted with my love for the console. Now all I can do is wait for a patch that has no time-table or send in my console for repair when it doesn't need it? For something that isn't my fault and for a price? Being a member of the video game press, it's my job to remain unbiased toward any particular console, but after everything I've gone through with Microsoft and this latest debacle; I'm through.

No one should have to go through this much of a hassle to play games. They're supposed to be an escape, entertainment for the mind and body. Instead, this is a poison with no antidote. If you work two jobs like I do, you simply don't have the time to go through something like this and it's clear that Microsoft doesn't care enough to fix this 'small' issue.

I hope no one has to experience what I've been through and if you've purchased a newer 360 then I guess all is well, but I'm just not going to follow that path this time. The time for my support is long past and with that I'll end this rant by the following statement: While this generation has given us some of the greatest games of all-time and developed new and exciting ways of playing games, the hardware has certainly had its dark times.

Liked the article? Follow me on Twitter!

My personal blog.

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By infestedandy

I've been associated with Microsoft and their creation, the Xbox 360 since its release back in November of 2005. Despite all of its problems, red-rings and all, I've had a great time with it. However, I recently ran into an issue that came up back in 2011, where Xbox 360 consoles wouldn't play certain game discs. After consulting Microsoft on several occasions, they've basically told me that they don't care.

So let's address the problem at hand. Microsoft issued a disc format change to what's called the XGD-3, which holds an additional gigabyte of security. You can see a list of the games utilizing this format right here. While seemingly innocuous, this change of format has rendered certain 360 consoles unable to play the latest games and I guess it started with games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Batman: Arkham City.

What's strange is that people affected by this problem were able to play some of these titles for a while before they began to act up. I for one, reviewed Modern Warfare 3 without an issue at all, but as soon as I put Arkham City in my console? Forget it. Two days ago I opened up a new copy of Arkham City and sat down to play it, but immediately as I put the game disc in, things began to go awry.

I've tried everything to make this game work: signing out, starting it, then signing in, playing online/offline, removing the HDD, clearing the cache, every little thing anyone can think of has been done to try and clear this problem, but alas, nothing works. I even tried running every single game in my library and they all work, with the exception of Arkham City. Just for the sake of testing purposes, I even brought the game over to a friend's that had the Xbox 360 slim model and, wouldn't you know, the game works fine over there.

After concluding it wasn't the game disc, that's what prompted me to search for other people having this problem. I remembered something from last year, where people were having this issue and I happened upon a few articles stating my issue exactly. At that time, Microsoft was replacing consoles, but now?

They couldn't care less.

I've had my Xbox Elite for a bit over two years now I'm not asking for a free console, but I am asking for a fix to a problem I didn't cause. Until I get it, I can't play the new games using this disc format which basically metamorphoses my Xbox 360 into a really expensive coaster.

After calling the service center multiple times and chatting with several customer support representatives, every person I spoke to had something different to say, but they all agreed - they couldn't and wouldn't help me. What you'll read below is the transcript of my conversation with one such rep. Butchered English and all:

(I've emboldened the important bits to make it an easier read)

Please wait for an agent to respond. You are currently '1' in the queue.

Privacy Statement

You are now chatting with '-----'.

Xbox Support: Hi Andrew , thank you for contacting Xbox Support, my name is -----.

Xbox Support: Please give me a few minutes to check on your inquiry.

you: Sure.

Xbox Support: I understand that the game Batman Arkham will not work on your console.

Xbox Support: But that it works on your friends' console.

Xbox Support: Let me quote this one:

Xbox Support:This is happening to consoles randomly to old and new. What happened is that games the were manufactured during the last quarter of 2011 were manucfactured using a new disc technology and that is the XGD-3. XGD-3 is a counterpart of blue ray. What it does is it enhances the video and audio capabilities of a game. As a result of this new technology some consoles are not able to read game in these disc. As an action here in xbox, our engineers have been working on a update to fix this for the mast month. When the update is out, everyone will be notified via xbox live. We do apologize again for the inconvenience.

you: It's the only game that will not work. I just opened it last night and it has no scratches and hasn't been defaced in any way.

you: So I just need to wait for this update to come out then?

Xbox Support: Yes or if not we can have your console repaired.

you: Is there a time-table on when it's going to release? Otherwise I can't use my Xbox until that happens - to play the newest games anyway.

Xbox Support: To see if there is any problem with the optical drive not reading that partiular disc.

you: No thanks. I've already troubleshot and there's nothing wrong with the lens in this particular console.

you: So is there any kind of time-table then?

Xbox Support:To be honest, right now we do not have any information though.

Xbox Support: What we have is that they are working on it.

Xbox Support: But then again there is always an option of sending the console for repair.

you: So then, I can only use this thing to play older games? That's extremely inconvenient.

you: Again, no thank you. All the symptoms point to what you said and that's not going to fix the problem. If the only way to clear it up is to wait for an update then what choice do I have?

you: Would the repairs be free?

Xbox Support: Sorry again.

Xbox Support: If your console is in warranty it will be but if not then you will have to pay $99.00 plus tax on an online repair order.

you: So I have to wait for an update that has no time-table and then even if I sent it in to get repaired for an issue that isn't my fault at all, I'd have to pay for it.

you: This is rather upsetting.

you: In the articles I'm looking at online right now, it said Microsoft would be able to diagnose the issue over Xbox Live.

you: Is there any way you could do that?

Xbox Support: Sorry to keep you waiting.

Xbox Support: Unfortunately Xbox Live can't do nothing about this matter,

Xbox Support: And I know that this could be frustrating on your end, but right now these are the only options that we have.

Xbox Support: If you don't mind what is the serial number of of your console?

you: It's '12-digit number'.

Xbox Support: Right now it shows on the system that the console is out of warranty.

you: Well, yeah.

you: I bought this thing years ago.

Xbox Support: And I have checked with my Tech Lead and was advise, that either wait for the patch or process a repair for the console.

you: This really is unbelievable. I know it's not your fault, obviously, but for something like this to happen is ridiculous. Not to mention telling one of the consumers of the product that they're "just going to have to wait" to be able to play any newer games. It wouldn't be as bad if there was a time-table but there isn't so I could be waiting for longer than a month.

you: Having already been through four red-ringed consoles since the release of the system, this is it for me. Again, it's not YOUR fault, but this is unbelievable. I've been through enough and I don't have the time or patience anymore for this.

you: Thank you for your information, but Microsoft has lost a customer. It might not mean anything to them at this stage, but it should.

you: Thank you again and have a decent rest of your day.

The rep did put a Team Manager on the line with me, but after a lengthy discussion, they concluded that 'nothing was wrong' with the console itself and therefore the only thing they could offer was a repair - for over $100. When asked about the console replacement program from a while back they had no idea it even existed.

I'm not asking for a free handout, I just want a solution for this problem and apparently I'm too little, too late. For argumentative purposes, I've gone through four Xbox 360 red-ring incidents and still I persisted with my love for the console. Now all I can do is wait for a patch that has no time-table or send in my console for repair when it doesn't need it? For something that isn't my fault and for a price? Being a member of the video game press, it's my job to remain unbiased toward any particular console, but after everything I've gone through with Microsoft and this latest debacle; I'm through.

No one should have to go through this much of a hassle to play games. They're supposed to be an escape, entertainment for the mind and body. Instead, this is a poison with no antidote. If you work two jobs like I do, you simply don't have the time to go through something like this and it's clear that Microsoft doesn't care enough to fix this 'small' issue.

I hope no one has to experience what I've been through and if you've purchased a newer 360 then I guess all is well, but I'm just not going to follow that path this time. The time for my support is long past and with that I'll end this rant by the following statement: While this generation has given us some of the greatest games of all-time and developed new and exciting ways of playing games, the hardware has certainly had its dark times.

Liked the article? Follow me on Twitter!

My personal blog.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Orbitz89

Thank you for taking the time to write all this down, It was a great read!

Don't really know what I can say... Just that I've had some pretty poor experiences myself with Xbox in the past.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Doctorchimp

Fuck consoles man, don't know what to tell ya.

Ain't no man in a suit coming in here telling me what disk I can play! Fuck, my computer doesn't even have an optical drive.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Mijati

I'm not sure what you're complaining about. They gave you an option to fix the problem by sending in your console to get it repaired. Your other option is to wait for them to fix the issue through a software patch. I have no idea what else you want them to say to you. They offered you two solutions to your problem, just because you don't like either doesn't mean they didn't do everything (that's reasonable for them to do) they could to help you. If that's not what you wanted then please tell me exactly what you want them to do to help you, from what I can tell you want a magical fix to your issue that simply doesn't exist.

With so many different hardware combinations for the Xbox 360 there's going to be some bugs that crop up with future software revisions, it's unfortunate that you're impacted by the bug and I understand you just want to play the game but there's nothing more that can be done other than offer you a repair (I imagine to replace the DVD drive with a different model that doesn't have issues) out of warranty or to wait for a free bug fix in a future software patch.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kermoosh

great read

i too am on my 4th xbox, as well as several mics, charge in play wires, and controllers. i only like xbox cus my friends are on it. however for next gen i will probably be going with a ps4, playstation always has the best exclusives, plus i won't have to waste money on xbox live

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MariachiMacabre

As someone who has worked in call centers, I appreciate you not being an asshole to him but jesus christ is it stupid that they are so unwilling to do anything for you. Great read.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By big_jon

I would say, I it is an Elite, and if it is two years old, tell them it has the ring of death, that has a three year warranty on it, I did that.

You would be given a re-furbished console but it could help.

Also wait a little bit, they may contact you back about it.

I myself have gone through 5 or 6 Xbox 360's, no real issues with the slim though.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I thought they came across fairly reasonably to be honest, and gave you a free option (wait, it'll be fixed soon) and a non-free option (send it in for hardware repair, we'll charge you since you're out of warranty).

Regardless though, you never, EVER give up after one of those stupid online chat things. Make a call and insist on elevating it up the ladder until you get to someone that will give you a free repair just to shut you up, or write a letter to them (via email is fine) and when you get a form letter back, email back requesting the contact details for a manager, email them, rince and repeat until you get to someone that will fix it for you.

Call-centre shitkickers don't have the authority to help you in the way you want to be helped, so do something productive about it instead of having a tanty.

Note: I'm no great lover of Microsoft, and have been burned by RROD and lack of warranty and all that BS, but I think you're overreacting a bit here. I doubt Sony or Nintendo would have behaved any differently (well, Nintendo customer service would correspond via carrier pigeon and be curious about what exactly a patch was, but I'm sure you get my point.)

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By korwin

@Mijati said:

They gave you an option to fix the problem by sending in your console to get it repaired.

Yes but at his own expense to the tune of $100 bucks ($99 if you want to be pedantic). This is entirely unacceptable from a consumer standpoint as:

A: There is nothing technically wrong with the product otherwise.

B: This is a fault of their own making.

C: Said patch should have been available day one when disks started shipping in a new format.

Consoles unlike PC's are sold the customer with the understanding that all software supplied and sold for the platform will function on that platform. To push out a change in the platform standards with the knowledge that this result in compatibility issues for a known section of the user base is poor business at best and actually illegal in some countries at worst.

If the new Katy Perry album was released on iTunes and that download would not play on a particular line of iPod (let say the Nano), you can bet all the money that customers would be throwing a fit if they had purchased said album and were unable to listen to it on their device.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mijati
    @Korwin:

A) There is a hardware and software conflict, that's something technically wrong.
    B) Bugs happen, as I said there's a large range of hardware combinations for the Xbox 360 so the chance of such bugs effecting a small number of consoles does happen.
    C) There was a patch released when these games were which added support to it, however the problem is that some specific hardware combinations have some problems with this disc format with the software. They're also always updating the software so it's entirely possible that a recent patch caused the error (which sounds right as they've been working on a fix for a month now).

The fact that it's only one game that does not function with his hardware combination suggests there's something different about that one game that's causing the problem rather than a blanket error that would apply to all new games. It's most likely something regarding the DVD drive in the system along with the firmware on that drive that's causing the errors, with so many different combinations of hardware, console firmware and software, it's unrealistic to expect them to test all those combinations.

They offered free repairs when the new format was released and the problem was first discovered, however, they can't be expected to provide that same offer forever. As the console is out of warranty it's perfectly acceptable of them to charge for the "repair" to fix the problem as well as offer a free software solution that is coming soon.
    infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By infestedandy

@Tim_the_Corsair: I know how call centers work and I've already contacted Microsoft five different times about the same issue. Hell, I even have a reference number to make the process faster.

The problem is even when you talk to a 'manager' they give you the same lines. I spoke to one about this issue and he was confused about the Xbox ever having this problem. After a time, he looked the information up and told me I had the options you read above above.

Now, I can continue to harass these guys and MAYBE something will come of it, but I highly doubt it's going to happen. More than likely I'll try a few more times, but I'm not hopeful.

You think I'm overreacting? Don't you think you'd do the same if the company that manufactured your Xbox did this to you? There's nothing wrong with my Xbox at all, but their new format change now bars me from playing most new games utilizing it. This is fault of the company, not the consumer and it's not even guaranteed that "fixing" the system would do anything whatsoever. The dude said they'd check the lens and after tax, the guy told me it'd cost $120. Now that I know my console is affected by this bug, I'm willing to bet they'd just end up switching it out. Regardless, I shouldn't have to pay anything for their error.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @infestedandy I outlined what I'd do. If the manager you've spoken to isn't helpful, escalate again. Send a letter to someone well above their pay grade; you'd be amazed at how effective that can be, especially if you have notes on prior unhelpful customer service experiences and on the issue at hand.

Failing that, I'd probably trade it in or sell it and make up the difference to get a Slim, or I'd just fork out the money if all other options failed.

Actually, Id probably return the game that didn't work and get it for another system.
    infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By infestedandy

@Mijati said: @Mijati said:

I'm not sure what you're complaining about. They gave you an option to fix the problem by sending in your console to get it repaired. Your other option is to wait for them to fix the issue through a software patch. I have no idea what else you want them to say to you. They offered you two solutions to your problem, just because you don't like either doesn't mean they didn't do everything (that's reasonable for them to do) they could to help you. If that's not what you wanted then please tell me exactly what you want them to do to help you, from what I can tell you want a magical fix to your issue that simply doesn't exist. With so many different hardware combinations for the Xbox 360 there's going to be some bugs that crop up with future software revisions, it's unfortunate that you're impacted by the bug and I understand you just want to play the game but there's nothing more that can be done other than offer you a repair (I imagine to replace the DVD drive with a different model that doesn't have issues) out of warranty or to wait for a free bug fix in a future software patch.

You're kidding right?

First of all, it's not just one game that's causing this issue. While doing your research, did you see the people affected and the games that wouldn't work? This all really started to surface when people were having problems with Modern Warfare 3 and Batman: Arkham City. There's more games using the new format that are also known to not function properly. Type in XGD3 in Wikipedia and you'll get a list of some of the games.

I'm not sure how you'd be okay with this if it was YOU in this situation. My Xbox is a little over two years old and there's been no problems with it whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I made sure it had that fancy chipset in it (whatever it was called - Jasper maybe) to help prevent further issues with the RROD. I'd have absolutely no problem dishing out money for something I did to the Xbox or even if a part failed within; this is NOT the case. Microsoft changed formats and it's a pretty big issue, at least it was when a horde of people became affected by it. I know they were exchanging your old console for a new one, and you're right in the sense that a deal of that nature can't go on forever. Even still, they should know that there are other cases out there that have yet to be discovered and, at the very least, offer a free repair job for the problem THEY caused.

After calling them far too many times, not once did I get offered the real help I needed. As I stated in the article, I'm not looking for some top-tier handout - I just want to know when the problem is going to be fixed and, if it can't be, fix the problem by providing a suitable repair option, of which I was not given. $120 is outrageous and really any money toward any kind of repair that the manufacturing company orchestrated should be taken care of regardless of when it specifically happened. Even worse was when they brought that patch up. Sure, it's great they're working on a potential solution, but since it's only affecting a small number of people, when do you think Microsoft is going to get around to it? That could be months from now and during that time, I'll get to stare at my festering Xbox. Microsoft didn't do everything they could for me and I'm very surprised you can't see that.

To wrap it up here, simply offering solutions to your customers doesn't mean that's all that can be done. That's piss-poor customer service. Of course there's going to be issues with hardware, nothing is perfect but they're the culprits here and they should provide good customer service and take care of my problem.

I'm sure if this happened to you how it did to me, you'd feel perfectly fine shelling out $120 because, you know, Microsoft provides amazing service with an infallible product.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By glyn

If it is out of warranty, why don't you just purchase your own optical drive?

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By clstirens

@infestedandy: I'm on my... sixth? Yeah, sixth xbox. Bought a ps3 and upgraded my computer, then canceled xbl. I'm done with the xbox brand, at least for the foreseeable future.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Legend

The funny thing is that pirates found a way to play XGD3 discs within a few weeks of the update. The only people who were negatively affected by this update were the paying customers. Fucking stupid. XD

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jking47

Ouch, that sucks. I would keep asking to talk to their manager/supervisor until you get someone on the line who will give you free repairs, it just takes some complaining. Not guaranteed, but most of the time when dealing with companies for issues like this I have to go up the chain a few times before I talk to someone who has the ability to do anything.

Also, not trying to be a dick, but having a blog about video games does NOT make you a member of the press. Come on now.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jimbo

lol at people defending Microsoft here. Gaming must have the most simperingingly pathetic customer base of any industry on the planet.

"I'm so sorry you broke the product I paid you for, Microsoft! Of course I'll wait indefinitely for you to fix it! That's so reasonable of you, and thank you so much for giving me the option of giving youmore money to possibly speed up the fixing of a problem you are 100% responsible for."

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Just another reason to head back home to PC gaming in the next console generation. Microsoft seems to be more interested in trying to be a cable company than anything else. One thing is for sure, gamers are dead last on their list.

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By infestedandy

@jking47: I am a member of the gaming press, by the way. Went to E3 this year for coverage for free. The site I volunteer for is http://www.gamersguidetolife.com

Been doing this for two years now.

Here's one of the interviews I shot.

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By infestedandy

@rebgav: You realize this problem is well over seven months old, right?

As I said, I wouldn't have a problem waiting for them to fix it, but there is no time-table on the patch. Since it's a small percentage of people, there's no reason they're working hard to get it out in a reasonable amount of time. I could be here until Christmas of this year, waiting.

Is that acceptable for something they did?

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vexxan

Sucks to hear, duder, I've sent in my 360 twice for repairs/replacement but sounds like you really hit the jackpot of bad luck.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Dagbiker

@rebgav said:

@infestedandy said:

To wrap it up here, simply offering solutions to your customers doesn't mean that's all that can be done. That's piss-poor customer service. Of course there's going to be issues with hardware, nothing is perfect but they're the culprits here and they should provide good customer service and take care of my problem.

I'm sure if this happened to you how it did to me, you'd feel perfectly fine shelling out $120 because, you know, Microsoft provides amazing service with an infallible product.

They're working on a patch to fix the issue, as you said. Sounds like they are working on a way to fix the problem for everyone experiencing it. I'm not sure why it's unreasonable for them to ask you to wait for the patch, rather than them paying shipping both ways and dealing with every console individually, by hand, for free.

Actually you pay shipping one way, and they pay shipping the other.

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By infestedandy

@rebgav: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon also doesn't work and it's on the list of games using XGD-3. So no, it isn't just Batman.

Also, you should really read up on what Microsoft did to those affected. You can check that out here: http://www.techspot.com/news/43853-updated-xbox-360-disc-format-may-not-work-in-olderconsoles.html

They were able to diagnose the problem over Xbox Live to avoid any kind of exploitation. See for yourself.

Of course it's horribly frustrating, but the things I can do are very, very limited and harassing the support department is one of them, but it's not effective whatsoever. Since it's out of warranty I could do what someone suggested and purchase an optical drive, but again, I'm still stuck on the fact that this is a problem Microsoft caused, took care of and now have somehow almost forgotten.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Did you send the same console to be repaired 4 times?

Have you tried installing the game?

I had my console red ring once, worked fine for 5 months and red ringed again out of warranty. I was considering just upgrading my PC instead but I went and brought a 120gb Elite with HDMI. Microsoft has made a great experience with the Xbox its just the shoddy hardware that has let them down, But ever since the install options of games I havent had one problem with my Elite. Also after reading up on the XGDC problem, it seems to affect alot of people with modded Xboxs, is your Xbox legit?

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By infestedandy

@Bourbon_Warrior: No, this isn't the same console. After the last RROD, I repaired the console and sold it, bought the same Elite package you did.

Installing is something I do with almost all of my games. Since the Xbox doesn't properly read Arkham City, when you go into the install option it just locks up and kicks you back out.

camp7203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By camp7203

I totally feel your pain. Had a similar situation happen with my ps3 and getting game data back. No matter how much complaining up the ladder I did it just got me nowhere but more frustrated.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@infestedandy: It sound like you should be covered for a replacement then as the update has affected your console.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By kmg90

@infestedandy said:

@rebgav: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon also doesn't work and it's on the list of games using XGD-3. So no, it isn't just Batman.

Also, you should really read up on what Microsoft did to those affected. You can check that out here: http://www.techspot.com/news/43853-updated-xbox-360-disc-format-may-not-work-in-olderconsoles.html

They were able to diagnose the problem over Xbox Live to avoid any kind of exploitation. See for yourself.

Of course it's horribly frustrating, but the things I can do are very, very limited and harassing the support department is one of them, but it's not effective whatsoever. Since it's out of warranty I could do what someone suggested and purchase an optical drive, but again, I'm still stuck on the fact that this is a problem Microsoft caused, took care of and now have somehow almost forgotten.

It would be absurd for the CS Rep not to have the ability to confirm your situation, they can look up the exact SKU of console you have, then have some sort reference list or database of known incompatible SKUs

Also, did the Support Rep actually say that the new disc format is the counterpart to "blue ray"?

Blue Ray!
    Blue Ray!

Jokes on misspelling aside, the "new" disc format uses all of the DVD-9, aka an extra GB of space instead of the 7GB limit on the previous format. Blueray single layer is 25GB....

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#32  Edited By elyk247

I guess your best bet, is to purchase a refurbished console or a slim.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Omega

I only skimmed through the comments so I dunno if this has been suggested but have you thought of buying the games off games on demand? If it's a disk read problem then the downloadable version would still work. Still that is a pain in the ass way of playing games since you'd have to wait a few months for them to appear on Xbox live then if you have any sort of bandwidth caps that would be another hurdle.

Either way it sucks that you have to deal with this. You'd think that if you buy a console you would be able to keep using it until the next generation arrives. Its one thing to upgrade the hardware but to render the old model obsolete in the process is unacceptable. It'd be like the DS suddenly not being able to play new games after the DS lite was released.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Orbitz89

@rebgav said:

@infestedandy said:

They're working on a patch to fix the issue, as you said. Sounds like they are working on a way to fix the problem for everyone experiencing it. I'm not sure why it's unreasonable for them to ask you to wait for the patch, rather than them paying shipping both ways and dealing with every console individually, by hand, for free.

BECAUSE IT SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE! FUCK! This was a screw up entirely on Microsoft's end and was in no way caused by the topic creator.

Why don't you roll over some more so they can finish kicking you in the stomach. Oh but hey, at least the games are great right? right? I guess that's worth taking it up the fucking ass from a corporation.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By beepmachine

So wait...you've been waiting on a fix for this since November? That's fucking insane. How many consoles does this affect any way? Do you know what factors make an xbox susceptible to the disc format change? As for their response, it's frustrating but par for the course really.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By kindgineer

You are out of warranty but expect to be catered to as if within such parameters? I understand that you are upset, anyone in their right mind would be when a product ceases to work. However, many of us have been in this situation and understand the difficulties that ensue, and do not believe we are to be coddled. Your console ceases to work due to a change in firmware, which would be exceptional to be replaced if you are within warranty. However, Microsoft took the steps to remedy this problem during it's actual inception - and should not be expected to do so this far ahead of it's initial entry.

I feel really bad for you, but as I tell everyone else that whines in this industry - it's entertainment. Your system will be patched in the near future or you can have it repaired now for a fee (being that you are out of their stated warranty). Those are two viable options for companies with actual logical and realistic services, not pirates looking to steal from you as much as they can. As I said before, it being entertainment, I feel you can survive the coming time without the system short of dying from lack of gaming. Also, if you are part of the journalism industry as you so say, than it would be silly to completely back out of an entire library of reviews.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience that has fallen onto your lap, but it's just another day in your life that you have to decide whether or not it's worth it to wait - or pay up front. I mean, you'll get the system soon; And if you have waited this long to "review" or play Arkham City, I do not see that much of a concern for time.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By ReyGitano

I've always had my 360 replaced for free, from RROD to the DVD drive not reading games anymore.

I feel like I've gotten lucky. The problems that plague these consoles have been the worst stories to come out from this generation.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    No Caption Provided

@infestedandy:

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By Justin258

@Mijati said:

I'm not sure what you're complaining about. They gave you an option to fix the problem by sending in your console to get it repaired. Your other option is to wait for them to fix the issue through a software patch. I have no idea what else you want them to say to you. They offered you two solutions to your problem, just because you don't like either doesn't mean they didn't do everything (that's reasonable for them to do) they could to help you. If that's not what you wanted then please tell me exactly what you want them to do to help you, from what I can tell you want a magical fix to your issue that simply doesn't exist. With so many different hardware combinations for the Xbox 360 there's going to be some bugs that crop up with future software revisions, it's unfortunate that you're impacted by the bug and I understand you just want to play the game but there's nothing more that can be done other than offer you a repair (I imagine to replace the DVD drive with a different model that doesn't have issues) out of warranty or to wait for a free bug fix in a future software patch.

I don't think this is a huge deal - an update is apparently coming - but asking for $99 to fix a console because of a change they made is really dickish.

But then, wait a bit and you don't have to pay any at all. So, like I said, not a huge deal.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By randyf

I can't believe anyone is defending Microsoft for this. Sure, they gave him two options, but those two options are:

1. Wait while his perfectly functioning machine is unable to play any current games, even though there were no prior warnings that that could ever happen.

2. Pay over $100 (which is not a small amount of money) to have his perfectly functioning machine fixed, even though there is nothing wrong with it. This happened because of a screw up on their end, not his.

Also, "buy a PC" is not a good answer, either. I'm primarily a PC gamer myself, but believe or not, PC does have it's issues, too. Not to mention it's more expensive to buy a PC than it is an Xbox. Even if you buy all of the parts and build it yourself, there's no way it'll be as cheap or as convenient as going out and buying a machine that you know will work (at least, until this problem came up).

As people have mentioned, call back and be as annoying as possible. The more pissed off and annoying you get to them, the more they will give you to shut the hell up. It could even result in a free repair. Customer loyalty means a lot to these people, and if "sit and wait!" or "pay us more money!" doesn't work right away to shut someone up, they'll go a step further. And then another step if that isn't good enough. They want you to stick around with Xbox, not go anywhere else.

So yeah, if you haven't done anything yet, call them back and rip their heads off. The lower guys will send it up the chain until someone has to do something for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I've never had any problems with Microsoft support, and I've been with them since the first Xbox came out and got a 360 a month after it came out or so...

It sucks that you have a problem, but adding the "another" seemed unnecessary as it changes the entire topic at hand to a very hostile tone against Microsoft, besides this all sounds like standard procedure any company would feed you - Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, or any other.

Also it greatly annoyed me that you both linked you to your blog and your twitter, which is technically advertising and as such this thread is actually against the forum rules...

EDIT: Also you don't really have anything to complain about, since the warranty is over. Sure it sucks, but that is the rule-set we're playing by in this corporate world we live in today.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43  Edited By GS_Dan

@believer258 said:

I don't think this is a huge deal - an update is apparently coming - but asking for $99 to fix a console because of a change they made is really dickish.

But then, wait a bit and you don't have to pay any at all. So, like I said, not a huge deal.

It sounds like people have already been waiting 7 months for this patch, I imagine many have given up on it ever arriving. That's simply not acceptable.

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By infestedandy

@believer258: Wait a bit? This issue has existed since the beginning of the holiday season LAST YEAR. The issue still isn't fixed which gives me enough evidence to support me saying that the patch still isn't coming out anytime soon.

How is this not a huge deal?

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By infestedandy

@Village_Guy: I don't have anything to complain about?

So by your logic, as soon as your warranty comes up on anything, if a company decides to switch the infrastructure of the product to not allow it to utilize newer tech - that's OK. You know, because we're out of the warranty window, they can do anything even if it turns my system into a brick.

As someone said previously, it's like Apple coming out with a new iPod and by doing so, previous versions of the iPod can no longer play new songs coming out. That's not a problem at all. No sir.

By the way, I'm not advertising anything. I'm posting on my Giant Bomb blog which also links to your Twitter account. I'm not making money off of this. There's a lot of people who post on blogs like this that throw links every which way.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By Justin258

@GS_Dan said:

@believer258 said:

It sounds like people have already been waiting 7 months for this patch, I imagine many have given up on it ever arriving. That's simply not acceptable.

@infestedandy said:

@believer258: Wait a bit? This issue has existed since the beginning of the holiday season LAST YEAR. The issue still isn't fixed which gives me enough evidence to support me saying that the patch still isn't coming out anytime soon.

How is this not a huge deal?

I didn't know that it was 7 months, I thought it was just a recent thing. Now that is a problem.

@Village_Guy said:

EDIT: Also you don't really have anything to complain about, since the warranty is over. Sure it sucks, but that is the rule-set we're playing by in this corporate world we live in today.

Yeah, if greedy fucking corporations continually try to screw me and others over despite me giving them money, I have every right to bitch.

teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By teekomeeko

Yeah, that kind of thing happened with my last 360 about February 2011 (not the tech help portion, just the broken system part). It had decided not to play two games I bought brand new in a row, and despite it being in warranty, I sold it lickety-split. I'm not an XBL player, so when that system decided not to work for the very few games I bought for it, I said screw it - I have a PC and that'll do me.

At least on PC if something doesn't work, I can skirt my way around it - my "tech help" is just Google searches. Plus the whole using a wireless 360 controller and having games look and run significantly better helps :)

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By LiquidPrince

I wouldn't rebuy my 360 after the second broke? Good thing I waited and bought a slim which seems to be in good working order.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.