Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Microsoft Studios named top rated publisher of 2011

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

Uhh. OK. So apparently from 2011, Microsoft Studios put out the highest ratio of games:positive ratings. I didn't look at the full list of games because I can't really see a way to do it, but head over here to look at the chart.

I am really interested in looking up what games these actually were because to be honest I can only think of the ones that are on the front page of the list. This is such a huge contrast to the beginning of the year when everyone was saying that this will be Microsoft's worst year for actual titles...

But still, I am extremely surprised. Anyone find a way to look up what these games actually are, on the Metacritic site? I didn't think MS Studios even put out 25 games this year.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RE_Player1

I thought Microsoft had a very disappointing 2011 in terms of the amount of quality first party titles released. I'm trying to look up some of the games as well, never really go on Metacritic.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By mazik765

Microsoft dominated the downloadable market as far as I can tell. Tons of quality titles coming out of XBLA.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

XBLA, man. XBLA.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By MetalBaofu

Wikipedia has a good list of them. Not sure if they are all on there or not, though.

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Lagaroth

It's based on Metacritic scores, so I care less than I do about AOL polls.

Edit: Wait. Looking at their "Best Games of the Year", the top two have the same 'Metascore', and SECOND PLACE has a better user score. Second place was also rated by 'Positive' by critics twice as many times... so why isn't it first? What the hell kind of math are they using? It isn't updated past the time they did the awarding, because the user score of Skyrim has gone down .1 compared to the one shown on the chart.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By MetalBaofu

@Lagaroth said:

It's based on Metacritic scores, so I care less than I do about AOL polls.

Edit: Wait. Looking at their "Best Games of the Year", the top two have the same 'Metascore', and SECOND PLACE has a better user score. Second place was also rated by 'Positive' by critics twice as many times... so why isn't it first? What the hell kind of math are they using? It isn't updated past the time they did the awarding, because the user score of Skyrim has gone down .1 compared to the one shown on the chart.

I don't think they are taking the user scores into account at all for that. As far as how they decided which order to put the top two in since they have the same score....I have no idea. The only guess I can make is they use the lowest score a game received from a critic in case of a tie breaker. Lowest critic score they have for Batman is 80 and Skyrim has a 75. I don't really think that makes sense and it is probably completely wrong, but that's the only thing I can see that would put Batman over Skyrim.

Or maybe they aren't really listing them in a specific order when there is a tie. They just list them and assume people will notice that they have the same score.

Edit: Bah....I should've read the whole thing on the metacritic page instead of just looking at the list. They say Batman beat Skyrim by a few decimal points, so they aren't really tied.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

Hooray for something resembling objectivity!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By big_jon

So three good games and one is a remake....

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By xyzygy

@big_jon said:

So three good games and one is a remake....

The rest must be XBLA games. Because I can honestly only think of 3 or so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.