My Xbox 360 is giving me the red ring of death, but not always

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By GHT

Lately, today especially, when I try to turn on my Xbox 360 I'll be greeted with 3 red lights, but I'd say about 1 out of every 10 tries, it actually works. That can't be how the RROD usually works, right?

Also, earlier this week, I got an RROD and I switched the component cables to a different input and it worked the next time I turned it on, but that didn't help today. When I switched it to an HDMI cable, it sort of worked, but it seemed to think it was using a DVI input instead of HDMI and didn't look so hot.

I've been getting video error messages once in a while for a long time, but it's become far more aggressive lately. I have a refurbished Xbox 360 that I bought from Gamestop, so I'm not sure what the warranty situation is on it.

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GHT

damn. well, at least they're cheap now.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

As long as you don't towel trick it they are almost always fixable. They just take a little effort.

bane63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By bane63

Mine has been giving me the E74 error occasionally when I turn it on for the past 3 years.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

call microsoft.  the hdmi xbox's havent even been out for 3 years.  its covered under warranty, send that shit in

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iam3green

i would say call up microsoft get it fixed or get it back to gamestop.  it sounds crazy that sometimes it works while other times it doesn't.

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GHT

my manufacture date is 03-12-07, but xbox.com says someone else has registered my console.

It works well enough that I think I can keep using it for awhile, but I am really dreading when it just gives out altogether.

avengedxsniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By avengedxsniper

You would think MS would try to fix the problem instead of increasing the warranty on the system specifically for the red ring of death.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Wolverine

That has happened to me before. Eventually every time you turn it on you will get the red ring. 

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Hmmm this used to happen to a friend of mine then it got more frequent and eventually would turn on at a 30:1 ratio then soon never did turn on. story short it's gunna die. send it!

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GHT

well, it's now totally dead, and because I'm not the person who registered the console, it'll cost $100 to fix it.

I don't feel good about it.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

Would you rather pay $100 for repairs of another couple hundred for a new system?

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GHT

I don't really make enough to do either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

My xbox used to give me the two RROD. It would shut off randomly, and show them. Most frequently during GTA IV for some reason.
GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GHT

so anyways, I thought you might be interested to know that if you call the xbox service number enough times, they will eventually help you, even if you aren't the person who registered your console.

I finally got someone who  was willing to register it into my name and address and give me the free repair, even though it's a used second hand system. I only had to call them three times to do it, which is way cheaper than $100.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your warranty is out you might as well open it up and try fixing it. I fixed mine and it's still working more or less, just having issues from being a release console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.