Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

New Xbox requires an always-on connection to block used games

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

TheVerge I already buy games new anyway. I haven't been to a GameStop for four years, now. Even BlackFriday games are new. ~ So, why should I care?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

I'm in hardcore "Just fucking wait and see" mode for now. It's not worth getting outraged quite yet.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Oldirtybearon

oh man, Arthur Gies's twitter is about to blow the fuck up it seems.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By FourWude

If the new consoles get anti-used game protection on them. Then I'm growing a neckbeard and building myself a gaming PC.

This is the lengths that MS and Sony will have pushed me too.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By toowalrus

Though I will say that once games are out of print, they become difficult to find new, sealed. So once the game is out of print and if used games aren't an option, the only way to get those games will be digital distribution. If the rumor that it's going to be using 50GB blu-ray discs is true, downloading games could potentially be a nightmare for those unfortunate enough to live in areas with bandwidth caps.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I have a feeling it won't be true. It's been a rumor going around for a while, and I don't think they'll probably get that to go through. Think of how many people would be bothered by that!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

not going to happen

that would just give the generation to Sony

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Kerned

I don't trust Polygon nearly enough to believe a "take this rumor as fact" type story. I'll wait to see what MS has to say about it. I will say this though: an always-on requirement for a console would be a deal breaker. That would be a "day never" purchase for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Sony wins! Flawless victory!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Kerned said:

I don't trust Polygon nearly enough to believe a "take this rumor as fact" type story. I'll wait to see what MS has to say about it. I will say this though: an always-on requirement for a console would be a deal breaker. That would be a "day never" purchase for me.

Agreed. The day Microsoft or Sony blocks used games is the day I swallow hard and build a gaming PC. At that point if you're going to fuck me over on ownership of games, they might as well look as pretty as they can be.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptBedlam

Well, PC and WiiU it is for me then.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Kerned said:

Agreed. The day Microsoft or Sony blocks used games is the day I swallow hard and build a gaming PC. At that point if you're going to fuck me over on ownership of games, they might as well look as pretty as they can be.

there's a difference, though, by not letting used games be played via offline means (some sort of RFID chip I guess) vs. this always on connection shit.

I find both gross but one is way less gross than the other

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @Animasta

not going to happen

This is assuming Sony doesn't do something fucking stupid.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Branthog

I've been looking forward to new consoles like crazy, but if they do stuff like this, I'll just return to my life-long hardcore PC gaming. It won't be a huge loss to me and the couple thousand I'd spend on consoles and peripherals will go a long way in PC gaming. I'll be bummed out, but I won't be part of that crap.

. . . if any of that ends up being even remotely true, mind you.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kerned

@Animasta: You are right, both are bad. But requiring me to have an active internet connection to play games that I own is completely unacceptable. Even the best internet connections fail sometimes, and I am not tying my ability to play offline, single player games to my ISP's ability to maintain a constant, 100% reliable connection (which is a mythological creature anyway).

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Kerned said:

there's a difference, though, by not letting used games be played via offline means (some sort of RFID chip I guess) vs. this always on connection shit.

I find both gross but one is way less gross than the other

I'm not interested in the lesser of two evils considering they're both fucking evil. If you want to argue which platform holder is slightly less scummy than the other be my guest. My point was more if the platform holders get rid of used games (even if I don't really buy any), that's one less reason for me to give a shit and just go with Steam.

If they want to lock their consoles down tighter than a New Vegas virgin, I suppose that's fine. Nothing I can do about that. Doesn't mean I have to buy a console from either of them, however.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta

not going to happen

This is assuming Sony doesn't do something fucking stupid.

microsoft and sony are both playing some high tech version of chicken you see

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RazielCuts

@Oldirtybearon said:

oh man, Arthur Gies is about to blow the fuck up it seems.

If only this sentence were true instead.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By ssj4raditz

How will it be able to tell the difference?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Rafaelfc

this is really pathetic... the internet will be the death of gaming as we knew it.

k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By k9

I find this sentiment of "if this rumor is true I will go to pc gaming" puzzling since the used games market is nonexistent on PC front first and foremost.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bell_End

@FourWude said:

If the new consoles get anti-used game protection on them. Then I'm growing a neckbeard and building myself a gaming PC.

PC has had anti used games protection for decades. hence no used PC games market.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sooty

It's funny people can be up in arms about this but lament pirates, who like buyers of used games, do not give any money to the developer or publisher of the games they 'obtain'

Don't jump down my throat. Just saying that used games is no better than piracy in the eyes of the publishers and developers, and that's why systems like this may come into place.

edit: and I don't like how console people can be annoyed over this yet think it's fine on PC, or maybe you don't think it's fine but nobody seems to care until it affects them.

@K9 said:

I find this sentiment of "if this rumor is true I will go to pc gaming" puzzling since the used games market is nonexistent on PC front first and foremost.

Exactly, it's hilarious

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Animasta

@Oldirtybearon: hey fair enough, if jrpg dudes started making PC versions I would be right there with you.

I'm just saying that there is a difference and that difference can be severe to some people (especially if they have shit internet) (or if they don't have their console connected to the internet, such as I)

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

#XboxHorizon

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Branthog

@K9 said:

Uh. What?

Only insofar as if you purchase the game via, say, Steam. Or if you're talking (most) multiplayer.

Sorry, but I'm already tired enough of the "buy this game, then pay $10 so the other person in your household can use it! Now pay another $10 so the third person in your household can! Now pay another $10 so the fourth person in your household can!". It's just one more straw on the camel's back. The PC, due to digital distribution, has fewer commercial outlets for games that can be resold or have less restrictive DRM, but that isn't inherent to the PC platform - only the source. And it's the only real negative. On the console, it's merely an additional negative. A negative that is, perhaps, one too many for a lot of gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like to go into rumours about new consoles, but if this happens Microsoft have lost a customer

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By musubi

Yeah That would piss off some places like gamestop. Then again if Microsoft doesn't think they need Gamestop....

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sooty

@Branthog said:

@K9 said:

Uh. What?

Only insofar as if you purchase the game via, say, Steam. Or if you're talking (most) multiplayer.

Nearly all games (including boxed) either have Steamworks now or another form of limited validation, so it's pretty much true.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This 'gon be good.

/I use PC, PS2, and SNES. I kinda avoid new consoles for things like this. Also, too much games.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Sooty said:

It's funny people can be up in arms about this but lament pirates, who like buyers of used games, do not give any money to the developer or publisher of the games they 'obtain'

Don't jump down my throat. Just saying that used games is no better than piracy in the eyes of the publishers and developers, and that's why systems like this may come into place.

edit: and I don't like how console people can be annoyed over this yet think it's fine on PC, or maybe you don't think it's fine but nobody seems to care until it affects them.

@K9 said:

Exactly, it's hilarious

What about when games go out of print? I had to get Darksiders used because no new prints where made. 
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Branthog

@Bell_End said:

@FourWude said:

PC has had anti used games protection for decades. hence no used PC games market.

Really? For decades? That's why, until fairly recently, there were stores full of used PC games that you could buy? Entire stores whose business was to rent out video games for the PC as if they were movies? (I don't know what they were called everywhere, but in the northwest, it was Software Pipeline). Until the last decade, the primary method of piracy restriction was a serial key, which was simple enough to give to the person that you sold or gave your game to.

Anyway, for people who purchase their software brand new, this won't have a huge impact. That doesn't mean they (I) won't avoid it merely on principal. It'll just depend on what the real story turns out to be. A story that, I'm sure, is far removed from today's grand rumors.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FourWude

@Bell_End said:

@FourWude said:

But it also has anti-anti-used games warriors who fight the good fight...

But PC gaming makes up for lack of used games by being cheaper. At least a 1/3 cheaper on new games. Prices drop quicker, and they have far better deals and offers.

Of course this is somewhat balanced out by having to be part of the neckbeard community...

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34  Edited By GS_Dan

Brutal honesty - I don't care, I have an internet connection.

EDIT: Also, used PC games? What are you guys smoking?

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WasabiCurry

Really hoping that this is just a rumor. Other than that Error 37! :D

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Benny

What if they do eliminate used games, but follow the steam model for digital downloads and make it a similar level of accessibility and value that completely negates the need for used games altogether? I could totally live with that considering I already do with my PC.

I don't think a lack of used games is such a problem, it's more that 'always online' rubs people the wrong way. Pairing up a game with a console that can still be played offline might be some sort of solution though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I buy all new games as new copies. And since I got my PC, I usually buy them digitally.

For games that are a few years old and difficult to find... I will buy them used. I bought Condemned used because fuck me if i can find a new copy. But 'difficult to find' does not exist in digital marketplaces. And I mean look at the model of all digital marketplaces; you can get Baldur's Gate for 6 dollars. You can buy Chrono Trigger for 6-8 dollars. A physical used copy will run you 85 dollars.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@K9 said:

It has nothing to do with the availability of used games and more to do with the fact that if the platform holders want to lock their consoles down and prevent ANY second hand gaming at all, why would I put up with their walled garden BS when I can just build a gaming rig and be done with it?

Used games isn't the main focus here, it's removing options from the consumer due to blatant greed.

amethon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By amethon

Do the people creating this sort of DRM nonsense only have one member in their household? I am tired of buying things twice for my family.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By koolaid

I'll believe when I see it. Having an always on internet connection and blocking used games is just too anti consumer, I just find it really hard to believe they would do that. It just seems more likely someone would make up a rumor about something like that.

Time will tell.

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FLYmeatwad

@Oldirtybearon said:

@K9 said:

It has nothing to do with the availability of used games and more to do with the fact that if the platform holders want to lock their consoles down and prevent ANY second hand gaming at all, why would I put up with their walled garden BS when I can just build a gaming rig and be done with it?

Used games isn't the main focus here, it's removing options from the consumer due to blatant greed.

My guess would be that the standardization of consoles makes it generally cheaper to invest $400 or so for a top end machine once every five or six years instead of spending about $600 and time assembling then constantly upgrading over the years. If XBLA and PSN worked like Steam in terms of constant sales and pricing, I wouldn't care if I couldn't buy used games and saved on total machine cost.

I am definitely in favor of a PC as a primary game machine, though at present I don't have the money to build a gaming rig especially not knowing what next gen PC equivalents will be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Oldirtybearon

@K9 said:

Agreed. But people aren't arguing value here, they're arguing ethics. Steam is clearly a better value than Microsoft or Sony's stores, but the argument that they're ethically superior falls flat.
    Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
    @TooWalrus

I'm in hardcore "Just fucking wait and see" mode for now. It's not worth getting outraged quite yet.

This. I will say that it seems a little aggressive at this stage to be real but not to the point where I'm totally confident it's not.
    Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Crixaliz

@Amethon said:

Do the people creating this sort of DRM nonsense only have one member in their household? I am tired of buying things twice for my family.

Why do you have to buy things twice? I thought online-passes work across accounts on the same console

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mrsignerman44

So you're telling me that I can't use gamefly anymore if I buy a new xbox? Yeah, go fuck yourself microsoft.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lukeweizer

I'm really not paying attention to any rumours. Just show me the shit. I also don't know if I care about consoles anymore. Built a PC a year ago and have been loving it. The Xbox particularly and been veering into a direction that I'm not fond of. It's hardly about games now. I'd rather just give my money to Valve. I don't buy many used games anyway, so this won't effect me too much, but it'll suck when a game gets discontinued or something and a used copy is the only route. Yes, used games suck for publishers who want their share, but sometimes they're the only option.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Can we just have a box that plays whatever games we put in it with none of this constant bullshit? Would that be too much to ask?

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By hollitz

Though I personally wouldn't have a problem with this, I'm not sure it's a wise move. Xbox isn't Steam.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@FLYmeatwad: Since we haven't had new consoles in 6 years, there's been no need to constantly upgrade your PC. Even middling rigs built years ago can still run current games on max settings and if the rumoured specs of these new systems is true, not much is going to change.

The price you can pick up games on the PC thanks to Steam sales and what naught, completely blows away any discounts or used console game prices. Assuming you're willing to wait a few months, the amount you'll save on buying games will quickly offset having to splash out slightly more on buying computer parts over a console.

Still, I don't think for a second that either Microsoft or Sony will go this used games route.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jams

It's the coming of next downfall of video games. CAN'T YOU SEE IT MANN????!?!! These consoles are going to come out with their always on activation and kill used game sales. Which in turn will cut out a lot of gamers. Before you know it, all the dude bro's and 12 year olds have moved on. Consoles no longer exist and on PC gaming survives! No more babies and bros. and as years pass, less and less kids grow up with games. Though some kids parents will buy them their PC. They grow up playing only PC games and the cycle starts anew.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.