Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

New Xbox Slim straight from Delhi! (not a CAG prank)

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

From X360achievements

Microsoft is rumoured to be working on a slimmer version of their Xbox 360 console, and that an official announcement will be made in December this year.

According to gameguru.in, Microsoft execs announced at a recent event in Delhi that the new re-design will be available sometime in 2009.

As the validity of these reports were questioned more and more, the author of the Split-screen article made a public statement over on N4G about all of the queries raised by his article:

"... First of all, on the validity of the source: It came straight from Microsoft India's Retail Services Manager. The reason you don't see him named (simply the words "MS execs" are displayed) it's because MS and Genesis (the PR company who promotes the 360 here) were ping-ponging back and forth about whether to let some sites run the story or not. Some things like the package deal could be reported and others like the new IPs announcement you'll see on gameguru.in were not allowed. However, the key word is "ping-ponging": They had no problem with us noting the info, they said they had no prob making it public and for that matter, we haven't received any phone calls (neither Split-screen nor Gameguru) telling us to remove it. Other sites like The Angry Pixel have not been so fortunate and had to hold back a large amount of news as a result.

The point is: It's real and we can expect an announcement in December, which seems in line with Engadget's report on the new redesign coming in 2009 along with Valhalla chips combining the CPU and GPU chips..."

Well I think this rumor sounds pretty viable, and it seems completely likely that Microsoft would do a Slim Xbox 360. What thinks you?

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Shawn

Sometime in 2009? In my opinion that's a bad move by MS.

I don't think there will be enough games in 09 to make people who already have a 360 to go out and get a new slimmer one. In the same sense there isn't enough games to get people who  don't have a 360 to go out and buy this new one. But we'll see how it goes.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Demyx

If it is a reliable and decent console.
    I'd probably get it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
    deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

I hope they actually do call it "Xbox Pure"

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By kush

I would not be surprised to see an eventual "360 Slim" , but It's really no big deal to me.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Psynapse

I have an earlier Gen Xbox Pro at the moment, If this is any good i'll probably get it... But no rush really..

Avatar image for wallacethegreat
    WallacetheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By WallacetheGreat

If it's cooler and quieter (and more reliable) than my current space heater I'll probably pick one of these up.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

*heads over to 360achievements reads that its from n4g.com* that basically instantly makes it unreliable n4g is one of the worst sites on the web its actually controled in every facet by users and well stories is motivated by geting money in contests.

as well the big users group together and vote for each others threads, posts and new article posts.
    But yes regardless of that the guy that wrote the split screen article and then made a big to do about it on n4g basically wrote that article on whats basically a blog.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Psynapse

/sigh

HAMrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By HAMrik

Cool if it is real, doubt it .

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RetroIce4

I though it wasn't even confirmed because they already have pics but they are mock-ups...

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By John

I really doubt it. But hey, what ever. It's not like im gonna go and buy another console just because it's slimmer.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#13  Edited By JackiJinx

Faker than your mother's boob job.

Max_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Max_Chill

Fake

and even if it was real, no way in hell would they announce it so close to the holiday season. it would kill of the sales of the regular units on shelves right now.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive

they're not actually calling it slim right? i mean, thats just wrong.

Max_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Max_Chill
    TwoOneFive said:
    "they're not actually calling it slim right? i mean, thats just wrong."
    ?? 
    you want them to call a smaller / lighter version, FAT??
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187
    Shawn said:
    "Sometime in 2009? In my opinion that's a bad move by MS.

I don't think there will be enough games in 09 to make people who already have a 360 to go out and get a new slimmer one. In the same sense there isn't enough games to get people who  don't have a 360 to go out and buy this new one. But we'll see how it goes."
    Don't need games.  Just need a sticker that says "NO RED RING GUARANTEED!"  Doesn't have to be true, but they'll sell a million in a day.  lol
    Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I can stop blasting the volume on my TV just so my games don't sound like a giant Wind Tunnel then I will gladly buy this console.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19  Edited By Vinchenzo

Don't care. My current 360 fits the placement just fine, and works equally well if not better. Really there is no reason for a slim.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Kazona

Ok so they're going to make an even smaller version of a console that already has overheating problems? Smaller = more heat buildup = more overheating = RROD. I don't think it's very likely MS will go that route so I think this is bogus.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By brukaoru

I remembered this being reported a few months ago, which also said the schedule release date was in 2009. I, however, couldn't really wait for this new slim version because I am highly anticipating Gears 2, so I recently got a 360 to await it's release. 

Vinchenzo said:

"Don't care. My current 360 fits the placement just fine, and works equally well if not better. Really there is no reason for a slim."

I disagree. The reasoning for the slim is to reduce hardware failures for future console owners. Microsoft has spent tons of money with all the repairs of 360s, so a new console is needed so they won't have to waste just as much money repairing new consoles. (This is assuming that this new slim version will have less problems than the current 360s).
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#22  Edited By Vinchenzo
    brukaoru said:
    "I remembered this being reported a few months ago, which also said the schedule release date was in 2009. I, however, couldn't really wait for this new slim version because I am highly anticipating Gears 2, so I recently got a 360 to await it's release. 

Vinchenzo said:
    "Don't care. My current 360 fits the placement just fine, and works equally well if not better. Really there is no reason for a slim."

I disagree. The reasoning for the slim is to reduce hardware failures for future console owners. Microsoft has spent tons of money with all the repairs of 360s, so a new console is needed so they won't have to waste just as much money repairing new consoles. (This is assuming that this new slim version will have less problems than the current 360s)."
    I believe they are already throwing in changes to reduce these failures such as the new chips. Slim consoles, to me, are just a waste. It would also look awkward, because the 360's size fits very nicely into my TV cabinet. If they throw out a new console SKU, good for them, but I'd much rather them be focusing attention on their next system.
    Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Psynapse
    Vinchenzo said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "I remembered this being reported a few months ago, which also said the schedule release date was in 2009. I, however, couldn't really wait for this new slim version because I am highly anticipating Gears 2, so I recently got a 360 to await it's release. 

Vinchenzo said:

I disagree. The reasoning for the slim is to reduce hardware failures for future console owners. Microsoft has spent tons of money with all the repairs of 360s, so a new console is needed so they won't have to waste just as much money repairing new consoles. (This is assuming that this new slim version will have less problems than the current 360s)."
    I believe they are already throwing in changes to reduce these failures such as the new chips. Slim consoles, to me, are just a waste. It would also look awkward, because the 360's size fits very nicely into my TV cabinet. If they throw out a new console SKU, good for them, but I'd much rather them be focusing attention on their next system."

Would you really rather them focus on the next system??? Like... I dont really want to shell out money for a new system when there is still so much to milk out of the existing ones :P

Don't get me wrong, i'd shell the money out in a heart beat.. But the games that are being released are still blowing my mind... Just take a look at Mega Man 9 for instance... Absolute pinacle of maximising hardware use right there!
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Black_Raven

Maybe they should finally fix the current design problem before they go making it half the size....

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By atejas

My 360 is fine as is, although I'll probably force an RRoD once/if MS starts giving Slims as replacements.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By jNerd

Wow... If this is real I might have to pick one up. It'll give me a good excuse to own 2 :P
    & Xbox Pure sounds fuckin ill!!!

EnderX80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EnderX80
    Shawn said:
    "Sometime in 2009? In my opinion that's a bad move by MS.

I don't think there will be enough games in 09 to make people who already have a 360 to go out and get a new slimmer one. In the same sense there isn't enough games to get people who  don't have a 360 to go out and buy this new one. But we'll see how it goes."
    Yeah I see it that way too. What's the point to a hardware revision now? The system has already been around for almost 3 years at this point and anyone who had a launch 360 has most likely already bought a Falcon to replace it. Now they expect people who currently have a functioning 360s, which I'm sure a lot of people have purchased this year due to the recent price drop, to purchase a "slim" version? Well it worked with the DS, PSP and PS2, so we'll see.

Plus like you said, most of the big name games are releasing in 2008 anyways, with the exception of RE5, so most people will be picking up a 360 this holiday season more so then past seasons. They should have released it this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.