Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

No place for Budget Gamers on XBLA.

davebgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By davebgray

I'm getting old. I'm 33 now and I don't have time (or the drive) like I used to to play every new game as soon as it comes out. This is actually good, because I've been picking up great games on the cheap and going through them one at a time over the last year. Since I'm not in any hurry, I can wait for a sale and get most of my games for about $20. I'll pick up the occasional full price release, but it's RARE.

Now, I'm playing Darksiders (PS3 - $20 @ Target) and I have Alan Wake ready to go (XBOX360 - $20 @ Walmart Online). Years ago, I played Orange Box this way, Burnout Paradise, ...the list goes on and on of great, AAA games.

I'd like to go back and play some XBLA games and add-ons, too, but these things just aren't dropping in price, so I can't justify spending this much, when for the same price, I can get full retail games (and good ones, too) that aren't that old...not to mention that I can lend and trade these when I'm done.

Once in a while, the Marketplace will have a sale for the week, but then it goes away, or it's something really specific (like songs for Rock Band) or crappy games. They really need to put a pricing structure in place so that they can get some of my money. I look at Steam and how they have these great discounts and I don't see XBOX following up with this strategy. Why? With digital media, it's all profit. You'd think that they'd rather have me paying for digital copies than going to the store.

I guess my point is, that I'm waiting for XBOX to get some system in place for permanant price drops -- a digital "bargain bin", if you will.

--Dave
    www.WhatWouldJesusView.com

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

This is primarily one of the reasons everyone is saying digital storefronts are the future for gaming, unfortunately. Bargain bin stuff happens because of overstock - stores want to liquidate shelf space so they can put a different product there, so they sell the existing product at super low prices to get people to buy it.

Steam, on the other hand, has crazy sales because they want to remain the leader in what is quickly becoming an extremely competitive marketplace. Many Steam-like services are suddenly popping up, so in order to keep people buying stuff on Steam, they hold insane holiday sales. It is, essentially, a price war. 

Xbox Live Arcade, on the other hand, is the only game in town on that platform. Microsoft doesn't have to lower any prices, because there's no alternative storefront on XBL that they have to compete with. There's no stock they have to liquidate. Any sales they do are out of the kindness of their own hearts - and given that most of the discounts are available exclusively to paid Xbox Live Gold subscribers, you can guess where their priorities lie (the question is: is it really a discount if you have to pay money to get the discount?)

It sucks for us, but Microsoft and XBLA publishers are probably way too comfortable at this point to budge either way.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, dude, they need to do something about this. The sales they have every now and then are awesome, but we need some more consistent price drops.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By NickLott

I like that PSN is not just flexible with it's pricing for new games but also flexible when it comes to letting companies do sales and permanent price drops at any time. 

davebgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By davebgray
    @BlazeHedgehog: You make a good point.   And while this is likely WHY MS does this, I don't think it's a smart strategy.  Yes, they are the only game in town the 360, but this generation is different.  Hardly anyone has only one gaming platform anymore.  $2 buys me Plants vs. Zombies on the iPhone.  The 360 version costs $15.  ...the "theme" costs $2 by itself.  The price difference is nuts.

I don't even care that stuff comes out at a high price.  New software always comes at a premium, but prices drop as goods age and demand drops.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Sambambo

Stop being a cheapskate. The games that are worth getting are worth full price.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

33 is old?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Enigma777

It's no Steam, but XBLA has a hell of a lot more sales than PSN. Trust me.   

I've been waiting for a sale on the Dragon Age DLC on PSN since release and it has already had TWO sales on XBLA!

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By FourWude
    @Axxol said:
    " 33 is old? "
    If we were living in a Logan's Run futuristic world by now, he'd already be dead. He should consider himself lucky. 
    davebgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By davebgray
    @Axxol:  Yeah, when you outlive Jesus, you start to feel old....for a gamer anyway.

@SuperSambo: That's not how it works.   You don't just pay what someone asks, when you can get it across the street for 1/5 of the price.   $20 buys me a relatively new game in the store.  Why would I buy DLC that's as costly as a brand new game?
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ch3burashka
    @FourWude said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " 33 is old? "
    If we were living in a Logan's Run futuristic world by now, he'd already be dead. He should consider himself lucky.  "
    No; he would have already escaped the "utopia", visited our old world and then had freed his society. Good job, OP!
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Tordah

Yeah, the XBLA pricing structure is really messed up because there is no competition or need to lower the prices.  

I find it especially frustrating with all the DLC stuff, since 70% of all games coming out these days seems to have that in some shape or form. Bonus costumes for Marvel: Ultimate Alliance still cost more than what I paid for my copy of the COMPLETE game that I bought two years ago. Say what? Screw that. That kinda stuff should be completely free by now. 

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @SuperSambo said:

" Stop being a cheapskate. The games that are worth getting are worth full price. "

I guess you've never had to game on a budget before, huh? Sometimes, you just can't afford it. You just can't. It's not about being "cheap", it's about not having the money, period. There are people for whom gaming exclusively exists in the "Used games and discount sales" category, because that's the only thing their budget allows.

Are you going to tell them, "Instead of the bare necessities, you should buy a videogame at full price, because it's worth it"?

And "if you're that broke, you shouldn't be playing videogames" is not an excuse.
    dlwarner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dlwarner

There is a little bit of hope with Gamestop starting to sell codes for XBLA games.  Eventually there will be mark downs and sales of these cards at the stores.

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By ptc

Of you're hung up on XBLA prices, head on over to the Indie section. There are many XBLIG bargains to be had.  Lots of great stuff for 80 pts, nothing more than 400 pts.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@Enigma777 said:
    " It's no Steam, but XBLA has a hell of a lot more sales than PSN. Trust me."
    This is a fabrication and you should feel bad for spreading it. 

The sales on XBLA are often for gold members only where as PSN offers up sales for everyone on a regular basis as well as ever present exclusive deals for Plus members. 

Not that it really matters, but still. Those fuckers were selling like Valkyria Chronicles 2 for fuckin' $20 like a month or two after release. Shit is ridiculous.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

5$ 10$ and 15$ are pretty low prices for video games. If you're gaming on a budget, XBLA is perfect. How much cheaper do you want? App prices? That's not really viable. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Enigma777
    @LordXavierBritish: The PS+ sales are crap. And the XBL Gold requirement is a moot point since anyone who doesn't have Gold is missing out on more than just sales. 

My point is that XBL has more sales more often on more content and at greater discounts. There's no denying that fact.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

the games are only like $15. there aren't going to be any price drops. they do it sometimes but you need gold account to take the sale.

davebgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By davebgray
    @XII_Sniper:  I'm fine with the 5, 10, 15 price tag, but as the content ages, the prices should go down.  What was 15 should be 10.  What was 10 should be 5.

I played The Force Unleashed, which I bought on the cheap.  I think I bought the game for like 10-15 bucks.  ...but the additional levels and classic characters, which sounded moderately fun, added up to way more than I paid for the full game...It was $40.  It just doesn't make sense.  I'm not heartbroken that I didn't get to play it.  I'm not saying that I deserve cheaper prices.  But someone lost out on my 5 bucks that I would've paid them to expand my experience.  

I just checked on Amazon.  That game is selling NEW for $12.  Yet, the DLC $40 (not counting avatar stuff).  That's loony.   They should sell all of the DLC for 5-10 bucks and be done.  You can't continue to charge full price forever, because if I have $40 to spend, you're out of your mind if you think I'm spending it on DLC for an old game.  At that price, I can go get something fresh and new...that's kinda my whole point.
    MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MisterChief

What the fuck is with the Jesus url?

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By haggis

Well, there is some pressure to lower prices over time. Most digital downloads follow the same sales curve as retail titles: they sell well the first month or so, with gradually diminishing sales until about six months out when sales are virtually nil. If Microsoft put in an automatic price drop after six or eight months, they'd sell more copies. Even without physical copies, the laws of supply and demand still function the same way. 

Right now, Microsoft has a bunch of games on XBLA that would sell quite a few copies if the price went down. Why they're not doing it more often is beyond me. Maybe it has to do with their agreements with the developers. Who knows. Anyway, if the typical $5, $`0, $15 prices dropped to, say, $2, $5, and $8 respectively, the games would see an immediate boost in sales. God knows I'd go on and pick up some old titles if the prices dropped.

I suspect that Microsoft has run the numbers on this and it hasn't come out in their favor, which is why they haven't done it. At least in terms of dollars. The benefit to gamers would be worth it, though.

davebgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By davebgray

Sure enough, one day after I posted this, there was a big XBLM sale, with half-prices on a lot of really good DLC.

I bought Undead Nightmare for $5, The Lost and Damned for $5, and The Ballad of Gay Tony for $10.   On top of that, there was a lot of Borderlands content on sale, as well as Bioshock 2.  

They got $20 out of me that they wouldn't have otherwise.

odin08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By odin08

I'm more reconfirming the obvious here, but you might want to consider a platform branching out or outright change onto the PC or iPhone/iTouch. Steam alone makes the initial price point of a new machine/hardware upgrade worth it. Not to mention the enormous catalog of older games that is available on the PC as well. While the iPhone/iTouch app store has games that at the most would be in the $5 dollar range.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Skald

Yeah, I hope by the time the next console launches, the marketplace can change itself more easily. Whether it's Microsoft/Sony's fault, or the publishers who own the rights to the games, someone needs to step up and change the prices when necessary. Steam has sales all the time, and the iOS App Store lets developers have sales whenever they want.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By iamjohn
    @davebgray: There's a key difference between DLC for a game (read: add-ons that extend the life of your game that you don't need) and the stuff on XBLA, most of which are made by indie teams and is one of their only sources of income, and to equate the two is to both devalue and completely miss the point of what kind of content is ending up on Arcade.  Not to mention that there's a lot of games on the service that are well worth their asking price and then some if only because for as much as you want to say you can get these old retail games for the same price, many of these XBLA games are better (Super Meat Boy, for example, is one of the best games to come out last year; same with 'Splosion Man and Bionic Commando Rearmed and Scott Pilgrim and Space Invaders Extreme). 

It's your fault if you can't see the value in these games, not the indie studios putting their everything into making them and selling them for as cheaply as they can.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hexx462
    @davebgray said:
    " Sure enough, one day after I posted this, there was a big XBLM sale, with half-prices on a lot of really good DLC.  I bought Undead Nightmare for $5, The Lost and Damned for $5, and The Ballad of Gay Tony for $10.   On top of that, there was a lot of Borderlands content on sale, as well as Bioshock 2.    They got $20 out of me that they wouldn't have otherwise.   "
    Being a successful budget gamer requires two things: patience and paying attention. I can afford to buy new games at time of release for the most part, but I feel it's a rather big waste of money (with a few exceptions).  You just need to wait it out and eventually you'll find great deals even on XBLA. I'd watch for sales on Microsoft points, sometimes Target sells them at a pretty decent discount, if you pay less for your space bucks then you're effectively getting XBLA games/DLC on sale. I had some points banked from a Target Sale then snagged Limbo when it was on sale over the Holidays and Undead Nightmare on this recent sale. If you use sales to your advantage you can double dip with cheap points and the combination of an XBLA sale.

Budget gaming also is a sign of maturity. I'm approaching 30 (which isn't old by any stretch of the imagination) and I can wait to play a game. There's almost no added benefit of playing a single player game day of release (unless it's Mass Effect, then all bets are off), in fact I plan to play a lot of 2010 releases this year because I can probably get 3-4 great games for the price of a new one. I'm looking forward to playing Bayonetta and Darksiders, something tells me they'll be just as fun a year later and at a fraction of the cost.
    chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By chickdigger802

I've always thought it would be easier for ya to buy games at full price when you are older. I guess you have other higher priority things to spend the money on =) 

This is why I'm mostly a pc gamer these days.  Stuff like Indie Humble Bundle and big sales on Steam and D2D and EA stores are enough to satisfy my gaming urge.  

Or I can just resub WoW if nothing is worth picking up a month =)

617_jbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 617_jbug

Since December, Xbox Live Marketplace had a bunch of sales.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.