Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Preserving XBLA games

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By planetfunksquad

So todays Mailbag got me to thinking. I have a lot of physical discs/cartridges/floppies of old games that I never play but I won't get rid of for nostalgic reasons. I've also become quite attached to my XBLA games in a similar way and with the new console cycle approaching I'm thinking about ways to back them up.

If my 360 breaks after Microsoft drops support for it then those games become immediately inaccessible. In that event I cant play them on any other console because I couldn't do a licence transfer. In the case of some of these games (Super Meat Boy, Braid etc) this isn't such a big deal. They exist on PC and I already own them on that platform. I could play them there. But what of games like Fez and Dust? Is there an emulator for XBLA games? I looked and couldnt find one, but admittedly I didn't look that hard.

Do you think if the scenario arises that we couldn't access those games, the creators would port them over to PC? Do you think Microsoft will allow us to play them on whatever their next console will be? Or will I be relying on the hope that someone writes a bomb ass emulator? I'm sure it'll happen seeing how easy it is to play old games these days even without the original console but still, I'd like to know for sure that they wont just be blinked out of existence y'know?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I think I heard somewhere that Fez is coming to other platforms.

Beyond that, I do not know the answer to this question for sure.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OGred

Won't you be able to download Fez & Dust onto the next xbox?

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I'm really hoping that XBLA games will transfer over. It would be an easy way for Microsoft to say "And we have the biggest online store on launch day".

But then again, I wouldn't be too surprised if they say "Nope".

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Branthog

Physical media has a limited life span. People would be surprised at how many of their Atari and NES cartridges and PS2 and PS1 discs won't work anymore.

XBLA and other digital media will last as long as the copyright owner wants you to have access to them without paying more money.

Welcome to the modern world of copyright, DRM, and financial justifications to do absolutely anything with older properties to keep them playable.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Aetheldod

Fez will come out on PC ... Dust , who knows, probably? The other dlc only good games not available on PC are That game company´s games but they are already sold on disk (well if you have a PS3 anyway).

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By matt_f606

@Branthog said:

Physical media has a limited life span. People would be surprised at how many of their Atari and NES cartridges and PS2 and PS1 discs won't work anymore.

XBLA and other digital media will last as long as the copyright owner wants you to have access to them without paying more money.

Welcome to the modern world of copyright, DRM, and financial justifications to do absolutely anything with older properties to keep them playable.

I agree that the cartridge based games will stop working after 10 or so years but if looked after well enough optical media can work for 50+ years.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Give it ten years and there will be emulators for xbla titles. I don't see this as a bad thing either as you are allowed to own a rom if you own the original copy and that original copy is unplayable for whatever reason.

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nikoran

Microsoft will probably allow you to download the 360 XBLA games on the next console.

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By planetfunksquad

@Branthog said:

Physical media has a limited life span. People would be surprised at how many of their Atari and NES cartridges and PS2 and PS1 discs won't work anymore..

@mattf87 said:

I agree that the cartridge based games will stop working after 10 or so years but if looked after well enough optical media can work for 50+ years.

Weird, I bought a Megadrive and a bunch of cartridges in December and all 30+ of the games work fine. Is cartridge failure really that common? I have a few SNES games and N64 games that I'm gonna have to check up on but last time I played 'em (early last year) they were all fine.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By big_jon

I'm going to bet that they'll be avalible on the next Xbox.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DelroyLindo

@planetfunksquad said:

@Branthog said:

Physical media has a limited life span. People would be surprised at how many of their Atari and NES cartridges and PS2 and PS1 discs won't work anymore..

@mattf87 said:

Weird, I bought a Megadrive and a bunch of cartridges in December and all 30+ of the games work fine. Is cartridge failure really that common? I have a few SNES games and N64 games that I'm gonna have to check up on but last time I played 'em (early last year) they were all fine.

All my n64 games work fine, and i treat them like shit

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

Preserving videogames in general is a topic that I've been thinking about for years. And I can tell from his comments on the subject that Jeff thinks about that stuff as well. There's quite a few challenges involved and loads of old games are gonna be lost forever, sadly.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By rentfn

I hope the games will be playing on the next x-box.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

Just because there aren't XBLA emulators now doesn't mean they're never coming. We just have to wait for powerful enough computers to come along so that technical limitations aren't as much of an issue.

squidraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By squidraid

It doesn't make business sense for XBLA games not to carry over. They'd lose more money from people who'd stop buying them than they'd gain from the minority who might actually buy them again.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By StarFoxA

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, since a new console cycle will likely see previous stores dying out. My thought was that piracy will be the thing to preserve these games. I have no doubt in my mind that you could find any number of XBLA games on Pirate Bay, even if there's no "emulator" to run them (just modded Xbox 360s).

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StarFoxA

@planetfunksquad: Cartridges will fail if the internal battery dies. I know this is true of NES, SNES, Game Boy/Color/Advance games, but I'm not sure about N64 or DS cartridges.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#19  Edited By bobafettjm

@StarFoxA: The old cartridges should still work if they use a battery, but they can no longer save. It is also pretty easy and cheap to replace those batteries, I have had to do it for a few games.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StarFoxA

@bobafettjm said:

@StarFoxA: The old cartridges should still work if they use a battery, but they can no longer save. It is also pretty easy and cheap to replace those batteries, I have had to do it for a few games.

Yeah, forgot to clarify that point!

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By planetfunksquad

@bobafettjm: @StarFoxA:

I knew that part but how common is it for a cartridge to just straight up die? As in be no longer playable. I've never had this happen to me with old games so I'd assume the answer is not very common, but I guess I could have just been lucky.

Also, @StarFoxA: Yeah I can see the pirate downloads and modded Xboxes thing happening. If Microsoft doesn't let the licences carry over to the new machines that would be the only viable way with no emulators available. I'm assuming that a PC wouldn't have to be very powerful to run an XBLA emulator though right? I mean I can run Meat Boy and Braid on my '08 Macbook and a lot of XBLA games arent exactly rinsing the Xbox's capabilities are they?

Oh, and thanks for the input everyone. :)

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#22  Edited By bobafettjm

@planetfunksquad: It is not very common to have a cartridge based game completely die. CD based games however will eventually be prone to disk rot, which can make them no longer work.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Hunter5024

I think if Sony and Microsoft don't make their digital stores backwards compatible that they have royally fucked up, that needs to be a very high priority.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StarFoxA

@planetfunksquad: I'm not sure one the state of XBLA emulation. Most people involved in the emulation scene aren't too interested in figuring out how to emulate modern consoles (Xbox 360, PS3) due to the difficulty, the processing power required, and the fact that litigation is more likely. Plus, in the case of the Xbox, emulation is incredibly hard for a lot of reasons, from what I've read. I'm sure that someone will crack it eventually, but not for a while (there aren't even any stable emulators for the original Xbox yet, while the PlayStation 2 has an emulator that can run almost all commercial games).

As a side note, WiiWare games can be emulated through Dolphin (a GameCube and Wii emulator) already, I've tested this myself.

Here's a list of current emulators.

teo22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any news on XBLA emulation? I googled around but wasn't able to find the one game I'm most interested in: Perfect Dark being in a playable state.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teo22 said:

Any news on XBLA emulation? I googled around but wasn't able to find the one game I'm most interested in: Perfect Dark being in a playable state.

I mean it's emulated very well on the Xbox One...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surely that's how they'll do this eventually? Backwards engineering from a Xbox One and trying to port the emulation software to PC. Might be easier, given the architecture's similar.

teo22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teo22 said:

Is the whole 360 xbla library available on xbone? I have no interest in buying one, just interested if it'd help emulation.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teo22 said:
    @bigsocrates said:
    @teo22 said:

Is the whole 360 xbla library available on xbone? I have no interest in buying one, just interested if it'd help emulation.

No, but that's for licensing reasons. The emulator they use seems pretty solid. It's not 100% perfect and it seems to require some modification for some games, but I honestly can't tell the difference between the emulated versions and the originals 99% of the time, and in some cases the emulated versions run with better frame rates or other benefits. Honestly it's incredibly impressive what they did considering the Xbone's hardware is not THAT powerful.

But regardless, Perfect Dark is one of the games that is available in emulated form and it runs perfectly fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.