Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

RROD instantly upon update!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By McGhee

I have a Halo 3 edition Xbox 360. I've had it since the Halo 3 launch and I've never had a single problem with it. So I hadn't played on the 360 for a week or two mainly because I've been replaying Final Fantasy 13. I felt like playing some Super Street Fighter 4 and when I turned on the system to connect to XBL I had a message for an update. 

At the very second the update was finished downloading, WHAM!, screen goes dark. I look down and with horror see the red rings. This is my second 360 to red ring and having had no problems for so long I thought I'd found a good one. 

I thought it was ridiculous when people said that the Kinect update was causing the red ring. Well, I have a Kinect and never had any problems with the first update, but could this update have really caused the red ring? Could it actually have something to do with the Kinect? I am so fucking pissed.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

Statisticly, at least sometimes this can be a coincidence.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I got the RROD directly after inserting the Rock Band 2 disc. Rock Band 2 causes the RROD, my experience proves it.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats
    @TooWalrus said:
    " I got the RROD directly after inserting the Rock Band 2 disc. Rock Band 2 causes the RROD, my experience proves it. "
    This man understands the lottery fallacy.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McGhee
    @nintendoeats:  
    I understand this entirely. Correlation does not necessarily mean causation. But I and apparently many others got the red ring instantly upon downloading an update. So it makes me wonder.  

Now I have to decide if I should bend over and buy the new 360 or just go all the way over to the PS3 because I'm not paying Microsoft to shoddily repair my 360. I sent my first 360 to be fixed and it came back and broke again within two weeks.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ch13696

From what I hear, most of the time the RRoD is caused by a GPU problem. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xyzygy

This update was simply just to add the option to start the console from the disc. Why not just get a new Xbox S? You already have games for it, they are much more reliable, they're quieter, have wireless, sexy new design, plus a 250GB HDD you will never have to worry about space again.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SuperWristBands

Since we are talking about the XboxS now, anyone have theirs freeze on the dashboard quite often (sometimes its only a few seconds, sometimes I run out of patience and restart it)? Never has problems in game or in the guide but the dashboard can be a total pain.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Rockdalf
    @xyzygy said:
    " This update was simply just to add the option to start the console from the disc. Why not just get a new Xbox S? You already have games for it, they are much more reliable, they're quieter, have wireless, sexy new design, plus a 250GB HDD you will never have to worry about space again. "
    When my hardware breaks on me I usually shop smart and throw more money at the same company. 

If you can't get it fixed and can give up 360 exclusives I say go for it.
    brodywb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By brodywb

I got my Xbox back from getting repaired 2 days ago. I plugged it in, downloaded a new update, and it red ringed immediately. Luckily, I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it seems to work fine now. I played it for about 2 hours after that and I didn't have any other problems.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Example1013
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " This update was simply just to add the option to start the console from the disc. Why not just get a new Xbox S? You already have games for it, they are much more reliable, they're quieter, have wireless, sexy new design, plus a 250GB HDD you will never have to worry about space again. "
    When my hardware breaks on me I usually shop smart and throw more money at the same company.  If you can't get it fixed and can give up 360 exclusives I say go for it. "
    Yeah. People say the red rings are gone from the new 360s, but that didn't happen until over a year after the mass 360 purchase. It's why Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years--so people didn't jump ship because they'd have to drop $300 on a new system every 2 years.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McGhee
    @Rockdalf: The biggest exclusive I really cared about for 360 was Mass Effect. Now that it is on the PS3, though. . . 

The other thing that I have bought was two TE Fightsticks for Street Fighter 4. Those are $150 a piece. If I want to play more Super Street Fighter 4 and the upcoming MvC 3 then I need to buy another stick. :(
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus
    @brodywb: Ha, that happened to me once too. Apparently there's an identical red ring warning when one of the cables isn't quite plugged in completely or something. Crazy.
    kratier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kratier

the only time it was declared there was no red ring of death, was when the marketting people first revealed there'd be no ring of lights, instead a single light

the issue still exists, and will always exist with the poor quality hardware

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " @Rockdalf: The biggest exclusive I really cared about for 360 was Mass Effect. Now that it is on the PS3, though. . .  The other thing that I have bought was two TE Fightsticks for Street Fighter 4. Those are $150 a piece. If I want to play more Super Street Fighter 4 and the upcoming MvC 3 then I need to buy another stick. :( "
    If that is the case just get another 360. You are probably in too deep already.
    LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By LongMasterWolf

That sucks but hey I think its time for an upgrade to the Slim, I got the Halo Reach special Edition Slim. Its amazing looking and runs like a champ.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Cincaid

I've had an older model (60gb) for two years now that never let me down. I'd upgrade to a slim in a heartbeat if my current one ever decided to die on me.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Tally_Pants
    @xyzygy said:
    but he prob already has all of these features in his PS3...
    and personally, I've been lucky enough to not have my 360 crap out on me, and its an old 20gb (w/ HDMI) model. but i've already decided that if/when it breaks...Microsoft has kiss my ass because its not getting another penny out of me for another console! lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.