Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Should I get a hard drive or a new Xbox?

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By CastroCasper

I have had my current Xbox for a few years now, and I have sent it in to Microsoft 4 times for repairs. I can tell that in a short time it will need repairs again, plus I only have 1 Gb of space left in my hard drive now. So I ask of you, what should I do with the money I have been saving to solve this problem:

Should I buy the 250 Gb hard drive  

or 

Should I just pay the money for a new 250Gb Xbox?  

Also is there any other way around buying a transfer cable I will probably only use once?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RE_Player1

Man that is a tough one. On the one hand buying a new system just for the space sounds stupid but on the other hand Microsoft sells their's 360 drives for an insane price separately. If your sick of the noise your current Xbox makes and want it to be more secure I'd say go with the new one, you can probably find a holiday deal somewhere that is bundled with a couple games too. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

If the new system means less repairs, then that's a good thing.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Buy the new console.

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

if your old one is about to go anyway, just buy the new one. its great, i love mine. 

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CastroCasper

Cool, I will probably just get the new Xbox, I forgot that they had that bundle with Forza 3 and Alan Wake. 

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZimboDK

Might as well buy a new console then. 360 HD prices are fucking insane, and since your console is busted anyway it sounds like the best option.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @kurtdyoung said:

Also is there any other way around buying a transfer cable I will probably only use once? "

I say go for the new system as you've been dragging your current one through hell and back, so it might be time to call it quits.

I recently picked up a used 60gb HD since my old 20gb just wasn't cutting anymore thanks to rockband and instead of buying the stupid transfer cable (they used to give that shit out for free) I just bought a 4 gb thumb drive. 

You could just redownload everything if you have that optiom, but in case you don't want to spend all afternoon doing that, just transfer the files you want to keep from the old drive to the new thumb drive (after proper formatting of course) and plug it into your new 360 and transfer said files over to that. 

This is of course assuming your old 360 is still in working order. Otherwise, I guess there really is no way around it except to grab your ankles and take it hard from the man.

When it's all said and done you'll be stuck with a 4gb flash drive that I would highly recommend to keep your 360 profile and game saves on. That way you have a nice portable option for that stuff, and not get stuck with a crappy transfer cable that you'll never use again.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman

New Xbox.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

New 360, easily. Sell your current 360 before it craps out and use that money to help buy your new slim.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ericdrum

New system. You'll be so happy that you did.

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cjmabry

@kurtdyoung:
    My Xbox has broken twice and is now out of warranty, so when it peace's out a third time I'm getting a PS3. I guess it's your choice, but I just don't see how you could drop $400 when the same company's product has failed on you four times. Just doesn't make sense, but I guess it's up to you. 

As for the transfer cable, call Microsoft when you buy your new HDD or Xbox and they'll send you one for free. I got one sent to me to update NFL 2k5 rosters (I didn't tell them that) and I didn't even need a proof of purchase  or anything. It was like "Hey I need one of those cables," and about a week later it was there. The only time Microsoft has come through for me. You might need a serial number off the new HDD or Xbox though, as I've heard they do that.

But seriously, have you already ruled out a PS3? I would recommend at least looking into it, unless your friends have Xbox's. It just doesn't seem right to have to drop $400 on a new console because yours will inevitably break. 

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By agentboolen
    @kurtdyoung:   I was in your situation for a while.  I finally decided the most logical thing was to buy a 16gb Flash Drive at amazon, it was only $20.  This way you don't spend to much money and you can really ride out that machine till your warranty get turned down.  The one I bought passed all the test except the take your profile with you test!!  I have heard that you can get them that pass all the test but you might have to hunt around a little bit.  Its a pain in the ass and if you buy a Flash Drive with out even checking it might not work at all.  Microsoft really has been a big pain it the ass with the memory situation on the Xbox 360.
    ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ptc

Get a new Xbox.  If I were in the market I'd pick up the 250gb Kinect bundle.  I realy like my kinect (kids and wife adore it), but if you have no interest get the 250gb holiday bundle with Forza 3  and Alan Wake.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FritzDude

Xbox 360 Slim with 250Gb of course. Not only do you get wi-fi, more USB ports, more and better flash drives, but you'll get a much more silent xbox with a new cooling system that are ment to prevent RROD. And oh, did i mention that the xbox makes a cute sound when opening and closing the tray and turning the system itself on or off? It's also Kinect "Ready", meaning that the extra power-thingy you'll get with it, you can throw it to the sharks. It's also good looking, smaller and takes less power.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the_hiro_abides

New Xbox, no contest. Your current 360 sounds like it could die at any moment or be back in repair at least a couple of more times.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iam3green

get a new xbox 360. hard drives are stupidly expensive that you would pretty much be buying a xbox 360 without the xbox 360. it sounds like it might break again. 

microsoft stuff are expensive but they should lower the hard drive price to something cheaper because a hard drive for a computer is cheaper.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm running into the same problem, only I think mine is a little worse because I bought a 250GB hard-drive already around 6 months ago. I've sent my Xbox in 3 times already, and my current model could die any day now. About a month ago, I kept having problems with the power brick light turning red and then my 360 wouldn't work. I was ready to send it in, but then the 360 started working again and the problem went away. Pretty often my 360 won't read any discs, which is frustrating. I wanted to try to beat the Black Ops campaign last night, but my 360 wouldn't play it. Then my 360 gets really really loud a lot of the time, so I pretty much have to install every game. The thing is a mess. I want to just get a new one, but I know the old 250 gig hard drive isn't compatible, so it sounds like it'd be a waste of money to me.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

New console. 
    TSchonbeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By TSchonbeck
    @CL60 said:
    " Buy the new console. "
    This, the new ones are lovely.
    Rashermon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rashermon

Here's teh thing, a 250 gig HDD costs roughly 80-100 bucks still.  A new Slim costs 300 bucks.  So there's a 200 dollar difference there.  Now given that your xbox system traded into Gamestop could get around 60-70 dollars credit, for an extra 130 dollars you will not only have the HD space you need, but a system that's smaller and wont red ring.  It's just that easy.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Vonocourt

I'm in roughly the same situation, and I'm going to get a slim.

BaconBits123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BaconBits123
    @RE_Player92:  I had the same problem. I ended up getting a arcade one for $99, got rid of stuff I did not want on old drive and got a few 8 gig memory sticks for about $14 each.
    LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By LongMasterWolf
    @kurtdyoung: 
    Buy a 360 Slim, its awesome, totally worth it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.