Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Sign in as 'Appear Offline'

Miniman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Miniman

I doubt I am the only one with people on their friends list who feel the need to invite you to their games or parties every time that you come online; my god it's annoying. Being the kind hearted person I am I dislike telling them to piss off and leave me alone. Does anyone else think that having a feature that allows us to choose whether we appear online or offline when we first sign in to Xbox Live would be a great idea?

rivalbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rivalbro

im always appearing offline

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

Get better friends.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Just ignore them if you don't want to chat.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Origina1Penguin

You could go to your privacy settings and block your online status to everyone.  If you do this, I don't think they can ever see you as online so it might not even give them the option to invite you to a game ever.

Or you could turn notifications off so you never see invites, then tell your "friends" that you're too lazy to turn them back on if they complain.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HazBazz

I guess there is a long winded route: unplug your ethernet cable, sign in, go to preferences and choose Appear Offline, plug cable back in.
    Or, do what I do and ignore people, then if they ask you why, say you were making a sammich when they sent the message

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24
    HazBazz said:
    "I guess there is a long winded route: unplug your ethernet cable, sign in, go to preferences and choose Appear Offline, plug cable back in.
    Or, do what I do and ignore people, then if they ask you why, say you were making a sammich when they sent the message"
    I get messages all the time and then I say I was out of the room and the only reason my Xbox was on was to download the latest Burnout Paradise update. Considering it has been about 4 times now, it has worked everytime. And with Criterion continuing its efforts, I don't see any reason to stop ;)
    RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By RandomHero666

I go with the old "i was away and missed the invite"

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

If you plain don't like those people, just remove them and ignore them.  It's the internet, you can do that sort of thing.

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TEAMHOLT

There is no default option to appear offline, outside of disabling anyone to see your status entirely.

I either just set it to Appear Offline as soon as I get on, or as soon as I get a message/invite from somebody. I don't make excuses about it, I just ignore them, and if they ask I just tell them I didn't feel like playing Call of Duty or whatever. Most people don't seem to care.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Systech

Grow some balls and ask them to stop or delete them off your list entirely. I also had that problem and it concluded in losing "friends".

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

Yeah, ignoring invites and stuff isn't really a big deal but I would like the appear offlien feature to be available from sign in.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By gla55jAw

I usually just go to appear offline or away if i dont feel like chatting. Sometimes I just want to play by myself and not talk. Expecially when your playing a game where the story is important. I have a lot of friends that are always in party chat so I know how you feel.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Just to go preferences and choose the "Appear Offline" option before you sign into your account. Then when you sign in you won't be seen as "online."

Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Oy

Yes, as the post above states. Set your account to NOT sign in automatically at start up.  Then go to preferences via the Guide Button before you sign in to any profile (you must do this everytime before you login). Then when you sign in, you will appear offline from the get go.

Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Video_Tycoon

Ignore them.

/thread

RyanD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RyanD

I used to just ignore people, but after a while I felt like I was being a bad friend so I started accepting every request, and now I seem to be having more fun on my xbox so i guess it all worked out

Avatar image for toxicenchiliada
    toxicEnchiliada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By toxicEnchiliada

No heresthe fool proof way instead of having automatic sign in everytime you boot up your xbox make it so you have to manually have to sign in doing this you can go appear offline before you sign on. I personally use this method. 

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Wolverine
    toxicEnchiliada said:
    "

No heresthe fool proof way instead of having automatic sign in everytime you boot up your xbox make it so you have to manually have to sign in doing this you can go appear offline before you sign on. I personally use this method. 

"
    I do the same thing.
    RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By RedSox8933
    Miniman said:
    "I doubt I am the only one with people on their friends list who feel the need to invite you to their games or parties every time that you come online; my god it's annoying. Being the kind hearted person I am I dislike telling them to piss off and leave me alone. Does anyone else think that having a feature that allows us to choose whether we appear online or offline when we first sign in to Xbox Live would be a great idea?"
    that would be a great idea. all my friends get pissed when they want to play gears 2, which i will have none of. i'm relaxing, enjoing some poker smash or skate 2 and then i get like 4 requests. its fucking annoying.
    Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hulk
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    "Just to go preferences and choose the "Appear Offline" option before you sign into your account. Then when you sign in you won't be seen as "online.""
    This.  But it would be nice if you could set it up like various messengers and sign in as "invisible" by default and then choose whether or not to appear online.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.