So when did these zero point achievements start becoming popular?

Avatar image for lind_l_taylor
#1 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (4125 posts) -

I've noticed that the new Deus Ex and El Shaddai have put all of their
toughest achievements in the "None" category as far as points go.  Is
the point system going away?
 
It'll certainly make it tough to S-rank since they can slap on a shit ton
more achievements to get, that have no value or may be almost impossible
to get (such as trying to finish Limbo without dying fewer than 5 tries).

Avatar image for solidejake
#2 Posted by solidejake (505 posts) -

I always hated getting an achievement worth nothing! I am not sure why, it just bugged me. Or those achievements that are worth a random amount, like 7 Gamerscore? Bugged the crap out of me.

Avatar image for vexxan
#3 Posted by Vexxan (4636 posts) -

@solidejake said:

I always hated getting an achievement worth nothing! I am not sure why, it just bugged me. Or those achievements that are worth a random amount, like 7 Gamerscore? Bugged the crap out of me.

Yep, uneven achievements are the worst. So annoyed to see my gamerscore end with a 9 :/

Avatar image for vonocourt
#4 Edited by Vonocourt (2196 posts) -

@Vegsen said:

@solidejake said:

I always hated getting an achievement worth nothing! I am not sure why, it just bugged me. Or those achievements that are worth a random amount, like 7 Gamerscore? Bugged the crap out of me.

Yep, uneven achievements are the worst. So annoyed to see my gamerscore end with a 9 :/

I'd trade my 2/7 for your 4/9.

EDIT: first go around made no sense.

Avatar image for branthog
#5 Posted by Branthog (5777 posts) -

I thought zero point achievements were against the Microsoft Achievement point policy? They require that developer stick to a certain set of rules for achievements.

Avatar image for kyle
#6 Posted by Kyle (2383 posts) -

@Branthog said:

I thought zero point achievements were against the Microsoft Achievement point policy? They require that developer stick to a certain set of rules for achievements.

No, there's always been zero-point achievements, just not many games have had them because it's so dumb.

Avatar image for dany
#7 Posted by Dany (8019 posts) -

I haven't seen one or achieved one in a long long time. They are dumb especially if the goal is something hard.

Avatar image for herocide
#8 Posted by Herocide (451 posts) -
@Branthog said:

I thought zero point achievements were against the Microsoft Achievement point policy? They require that developer stick to a certain set of rules for achievements.

Halo 3's Vidmaster Achievements were worth zero, so I don't think so.
Avatar image for jay_ray
#9 Posted by jay_ray (1569 posts) -

To all the people who think zero point achievements are dumb why are they dumb? Is it because they do not add an arbitrary amount of points your your arbitrary total? The achievement should be the goal, not the points.

Avatar image for immortalsaiyan
#10 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4766 posts) -

My favorite 0 point achievements were in Dead or Alive 4. "Whats that? You lost 10 fights in a row? Maybe this will make you feel better. Have a achievement... for 0 gamerscore". Jerks.

Avatar image for peasantabuse
#11 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5098 posts) -
@Vonocourt said:

@Vegsen said:

@solidejake said:

I always hated getting an achievement worth nothing! I am not sure why, it just bugged me. Or those achievements that are worth a random amount, like 7 Gamerscore? Bugged the crap out of me.

Yep, uneven achievements are the worst. So annoyed to see my gamerscore end with a 9 :/

I tried my 2/7 for your 4/9.

I evened out my score after it got messed up, and now I refuse to earn uneven achievements.  
Avatar image for garfield518
#12 Posted by Garfield518 (426 posts) -

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

I've noticed that the new Deus Ex and El Shaddai have put all of their toughest achievements in the "None" category as far as points go

Deus Ex doesn't have any zero point achievements.

Avatar image for dany
#13 Posted by Dany (8019 posts) -

@Jay_Ray said:

To all the people who think zero point achievements are dumb why are they dumb? Is it because they do not add an arbitrary amount of points your your arbitrary total? The achievement should be the goal, not the points.

achievements have always been for the goal and points, they are the two halves that allow this system to work.

Avatar image for adarkmatter
#14 Posted by ADarkMatter (146 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan said:
My favorite 0 point achievements were in Dead or Alive 4. "Whats that? You lost 10 fights in a row? Maybe this will make you feel better. Have a achievement... for 0 gamerscore". Jerks.
hahahah, so true.
Avatar image for jazgalaxy
#15 Posted by JazGalaxy (1638 posts) -

achievements are a cool idea that became stupid almost immediately. 
 
People started caring more about the arbitary score than they did the acutal act of achieving something. 
 
I can't stand acheiments like "watched opening cutscene" or whatever. what's the point?  
 
I real achievement should be something that is obvious to establish but difficult to achieve.  
 
"make it to the top of x tower". "Kill 20 x's" "make it through the game without x"

Avatar image for vinny_says
#16 Posted by Vinny_Says (5914 posts) -

Uhh....BIA Hell's Highway had a bunch of those, SSF4 had one, they're nothing new.

Avatar image for branthog
#17 Posted by Branthog (5777 posts) -

I'm waiting until the day I can cash in all my points for a bigger dick. Zero point achievements are a mockery of my future enormo-dong and I will not stand for it.

Avatar image for joey_ravn
#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (5287 posts) -

Many games have zero-point Achievements as their own Platinum Trophy counterpart. I guess it's OK. It gives both platforms parity in that matter.

Avatar image for lind_l_taylor
#19 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (4125 posts) -
@Garfield518 said:

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

I've noticed that the new Deus Ex and El Shaddai have put all of their toughest achievements in the "None" category as far as points go

Deus Ex doesn't have any zero point achievements.

Hmmm.  Maybe GB didn't have it updated for the point score yet but
it's showing all the numbers.  El Shaddai is probably the same. It just
doesn't have the values on GB, so no 0 point achievements there I
bet.   Guess I was wrong about the "Nones".
 
@PeasantAbuse said:
@Vonocourt said:

@Vegsen said:

@solidejake said:

I always hated getting an achievement worth nothing! I am not sure why, it just bugged me. Or those achievements that are worth a random amount, like 7 Gamerscore? Bugged the crap out of me.

Yep, uneven achievements are the worst. So annoyed to see my gamerscore end with a 9 :/

I tried my 2/7 for your 4/9.

I evened out my score after it got messed up, and now I refuse to earn uneven achievements.  

I hate that as well. I had to force myself to play Watchmen Part 1 again
just to get it back to 0/5 by finding those goddamn collectables & playing
as Nite Owl.  If I play Part 2, it'll be as my local login account, no my XBL.
As I don't want to see that bizarro score again.
Avatar image for oldguy
#20 Posted by OldGuy (1687 posts) -
@Vegsen said:

@solidejake said:

I always hated getting an achievement worth nothing! I am not sure why, it just bugged me. Or those achievements that are worth a random amount, like 7 Gamerscore? Bugged the crap out of me.

Yep, uneven achievements are the worst. So annoyed to see my gamerscore end with a 9 :/

/pedant mode: ON
Five is an uneven number.
/pedant mode: OFF
Avatar image for bulby33
#21 Posted by bulby33 (683 posts) -

El Shaddai has a 0 point achievements for getting all of the other achievements, basically meaning that it's the platinum trophy. They must've been like, "so... zero points, I guess?"

Avatar image for justin258
#22 Posted by Justin258 (15548 posts) -

It is kind of annoying to see an achievement for nothing (FFFFUUUUUUU!!!!!!) 
 
However, it's far more infuriating to have a gamerscore not divisible by 5. It just feels so... so... off, it annoyed the hell out of me when I had that problem. No thanks to Marathon Durandal. 
 
Meanwhile, where does Deus Ex have a 0 score achievement? Other than Halo 3's Vidmaster achievements, I don't remember seeing any other achievement with only 0 score.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.