Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

The Xbox 360 Has Been Discontinued - How Many Did You Go Through?

• 135 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Poll The Xbox 360 Has Been Discontinued - How Many Did You Go Through? (716 votes)

0 Died in service 28%
    1 Died in service 33%
    2 Died in service 19%
    3 Died in service 10%
    4 Died in service 4%
    5 Died in service 2%
    6 Died in service 2%
    7 Died in service 1%
    8+ Died in service 1%

The Xbox 360 has now officially been discontinued in a blog post by Phil Spencer (link).

It looks like services such as Games with Gold and other Xbox Live services will be sticking around for now but finally its time for the all important question.

How many Xbox 360s did you go through?

I myself am currently on my 2nd console having picked up my first in Christmas 2007 though it does sound as if my current is ready to die any day now.

• 
    elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

I had 1 fail. My launch day console finally died after 5 years of use (even made a trip to Iraq and back). Bought a black elite which still works then bought a black S, which also still works.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My launch 360 finally failed around the time the Halo 3 edition console came out. Probably know where I'm going with that!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My first Xbox 360, a black elite, red ringed outside of warranty but Microsoft still fixed (or replaced) it for free.

I kinda wish I had bought another one at some point because mine is so old it doesn't even have internal wifi, and I never bought the external modem. That was a big issue with original XB360s people don't talk about. Even the Wii, outdated as it was graphically, launched with internal wifi.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My launch system lasted almost exactly 3 years. I got a 360 Core for Christmas in 2008, and then my girlfriend got a black slim 360 after we moved in together, so I gave my 360 Core to my sister. So technically I went through two, but only one died in service. The 360 slim is still going strong as a Netflix machine.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I got mine in late 2008, which I believe is the first revision that fixed the main RROD issue. Still working just fine, but I've been halfway expecting it to die for a long time now. With this news, I'll probably pick up a new slim model to have as a backup, since I have a lot of games (mostly imports) that only exist on 360.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I had my launch 360 die on me and got it fixed. The system I got back worked for a long time but started to act real slow and weird so I just bought another one. One hour in to owning the new one it red ringed so I had to take it back and swap it out. Since then I have had no problems, and ended up getting the Star Wars system.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Original one died from gaming all day. Bought another one on craigslist that lasted a while but ended up dying also. Towel tricked both of them. Lasted a couple months for each. Ended up getting a a slim 250gb for Christmas. Still a great console even with all the problems.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Three.

First one died, replaced for free.

Second one died, bought a slim one and sold the other one after it was repaired for free.

While the whole Red Ring dilemma is hardly a fond memory, i personally had not much of an issue with it despite having suffered from it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had one launch-era model E74 on me, and the refurb they sent is still chugging along despite the fan sounding like it's going to explode. I'm always paranoid to play it for more than a couple hours at a time. (not like I can't get a more stable 360 model for pretty damn cheap now, but still... I want to see how long I can keep this gruff ol' bastard breathing)

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had one fail within the 3 year RROD warranty so they fixed it for free. Not a bad record.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My launch 360 red-ringed, and now I have my second with a custom penny heatsink.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two 360s, no fails, although I didn't buy one until the 60GB model. It was still working fine when I got a really good deal in GAME to upgrade to a slim - It was working out about £40 more than buying the 250GB hard drive that I'd originally gone into the shop for.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One, baby. And it got replaced with another launch 360 that lasted me until last year, when I replace in with an Xbone. That old thing still works fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
    deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one I got in 2007 or early 2008 lasted the whole time. I did buy an Arcade version for 100 bucks as a back-up when they did the re-design, but never needed it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had 2 red ring on me, kinda sad to see thd 360 go though. Probably wont get an xbone but i had plenty good times with the 360.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had three fail. Once the third one failed I was done. My PS3 had a disk drive failure. Then I said, I think I am done with that as well. My console experience in the last generation was not the greatest. As a result I decided it was a good time to use that money on upgrading my PC rather than replacing two consoles or paying them to repair them.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By ez123

My 1st one was in Jan 2007 and it scratched discs. The 2nd RROD'd and this third one from around 08 is still going.

It was never too much of a headache because of the replacement plan I had. IIRC, after giving me the third one, Best Buy straight up said something like "this item won't be eligible for replacement going forward."

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Two RRODs on my first and still current 360. Worked fine since the second repair. Still, that plus the fact I have to thrash the damn thing for five minutes now for it to open its discdrive makes me almost wanna go out and get a new one just in case.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

1 died, my second still works.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a launch one that lasted for I think a year and a half before failing. That one was replaced for free, but after the second one died a few years later I didn't care to buy another one. My younger brother got an Elite at some point so anything I needed to do on a 360 I did before graduating college and fully moving away.

Interestingly, the first original Xbox I got died after using it for about 15 minutes, though the replacement one I got after returning it still works now.

DukeMcFrenzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won an Elite in a stacker machine at my local Golfland. It E-74'ed after 2 years and Microsoft fixed it for free. Now its a fancy DVD player in my childs room and is very picky about which DVDs it will play.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

Never had one so...

Loading Video...

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just the one. It red-ringed, so I sent it in to get fixed. It red-ringed again a few months later, so then I just sold my games and bought a PS3.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally sent 6 in for repair throughout the time it's existed. Once I got my slim I've not had any issues.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only had 1 die. Had way better luck with the 360 than I did with the PS2. At least the 360 never scratched my discs.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

1 died on me. First generation got the quarter red ring while I was playing Just Cause 2. Got one of those black elites a few weeks later and that still works great today.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By notnert427

Only 1 death. I had a RROD post-warranty and MS had a free replacement back to me within two weeks. Good console overall.

I went through three PS2s, FWIW.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hatking

Had one die. My second was stolen from my home. My third sits proudly in my entertainment center and occasionally serves for the few non-backwards compatible 360 games I still play.

I've thought about buying one of the newer slim models just for the larger HD and prospect of it lasting longer. No idea how big the hard drives get for those, but it'd be cool to just have everything installed.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Had 3 die on me. First time was a issue with the disc drive that would randomly not be able to read discs when I was playing them. This issue just had to occur the week that Mass Effect came out. Luckily my 360 was still under warranty and I was able to get it replaced. The second time was your standard red ring about a year after the disc drive issue, got it replaced. The final time was with a model S I had purchased back in 2011 that again had disc read issues, but warranty took care of it. Honestly, even with all the hassle I still love the 360 and it remains one of my favorite systems ever.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on my ninth, though i sold one to a friend so i could get an Elite in hopes it would last longer, the sync button didn't work but my friend told me 1 week later that his disc drive had broken and then my Elite died a few days after that. The replacement Elite i got ended up with a broken disc drive also, i traded it in when i got the Slim (they didn't check the disc drive) which is what i've been using ever since though some game frame rates are slowly getting worse, it too is on its way out.

For reference i do look after my stuff, the console is kept on a level surface with plenty of open air, i live in the UK so it's never really too hot, the console never gets moved, there are other consoles on the same shelf which have never had a problem, in fact i haven't broken anything except 360's in over a decade.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My launch unit RROD'd almost a year to the day that I bought it. This was the first time a piece of hardware had ever failed on me, so I just thought it was a fluke and bought another one.

Same exact thing happened with my second one. At this point I believe Microsoft had instituted their new blanket RROD return policy so I took advantage of that.

The refurbished one they sent me got an E74 error literally like five or ten minutes after I started playing it. Luckily that error was covered in their new return policy.

The one they sent me got the RROD after a couple of weeks.

The one they sent me after that got an E74 error after a few months.

Thankfully the one they sent this time lasted quite a while. I ended up trading it in for the 360S, and I a few years later I traded that one in for a PS4.

So that's seven in total I went through with five being failures. Six failures if you count the refurbished one.

I realize I had worse luck than most with the 360, but still, what an absolute piece of fucking shit that first 360 model was.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By redwing42

Had one of the old white 20GB versions that almost died (E-74) on me after a couple years. I picked up an Elite at that point and started experimenting with the old one. I X-clamp modded it, re-pasted the heat sink and heat gunned the board. I was able to get it to work enough to trade it in at GameStop along with my Elite to get an S. The wired ethernet plug in that got fried in a power surge a couple years ago, but the wireless still works fine. It has essentially turned into my daughter's Infinity machine at this point (and occasionally Rock Band), but it is still trucking along.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: You know you can just get an external, right? I have a cheap 2 terabyte USB powered drive hooked up to mine and it works fine.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No deaths. Still truckin'!

Mysterious0Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh none? Elite I got in 2008 still works 100%. Completely forgot the red ring was even a thing.

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kingpk

Bought my first in early '08, lasted about nine months until it red ringed, got it replaced and that one lasted until I guess the disc drive motor failed in 2013 (still could play games on the HDD) and I bought the one I still have hooked up now.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Strangestories

Brother got a launch one which died pretty quickly. Replaced for free with whatever the second model was which died in 2012 outside of warranty so got an elite which is still trucking.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 disc drive related problems. I traded the first one in back to GAME and then sold the second to a neighbour who immediately sold it for less. Lucked right out.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One died while playing Dead Space. The screen went funky and then after I tried to power it off and on it RROD. Got a replacement which is still functional.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: You know you can just get an external, right? I have a cheap 2 terabyte USB powered drive hooked up to mine and it works fine.

Yeah, I'm a bit of an organization freak and I honestly think that having an external drive just hanging out next to the system would really bother me. It's not rational, I know.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I honestly didn't count, but my best guess would be 3 of them.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 of the original Xbox 360s died on me, 1 Elite died on me. I don't even want to think about how many Xbox 360s that died on me while I was testing Skate, it was a serious resources problem for EA Canada / Black Box back in 2007.

My fear with Xbox 360 has always been that the reliability of the hardware, even the newer models has been subpar. I was hoping for some drastic late generation mini-360 or something that I would buy in hopes that it would last the test of time but I am seriously concerned about the history of the system being lost to hardware failure in the long run. At least the Xbox One backwards compatibility mostly works but there will be tons of titles that will never support.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

2. The first had a complete video out failure. The second had a disk drive that stopped reading disks.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By ProfessorEss

I had two fail. But the first was fixed and returned in 7 days, the second was returned in 10 days, and both repairs cost me zero dollars so all in all, not bad.

Currently have an 20GB and an Elite running fine.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

my 360 is a white original design with hdmi and no internal wifi

i have no idea what model it is but it has lasted eight years

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had 2 Red Ring, but I went through 4. I traded my 3rd one in for the Slim.

bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bloodlines

On my second 360. A Core from 07, first one died to the E-74 error.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on my fifth now. My launch 360 and two of it's replacements died. Then I bought a black elite and it died and at the point I was at my wit's end with this shitty console. But I caved and bought the Reach bundle because it was a good deal and so far it's hung in there.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had 1 die on me, got it fixed through the extended warranty, and then promptly traded it in for an elite. I had the Elite until I traded it in for my PS4.

Hands down probably one of my favorite systems despite the fatality rate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.