Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Updates automatically deleting themselves?

Justaddwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Justaddwater

Hey so ive been experiencing this for quite a while now and was wondering why this is. Sometimes when I connect to xbox live and play a game it urges me to download an update, even  though ive downloaded that same update many times before.  Its most notable on games like rock band, if i dont connect to the internet to download the update I dont get the new gold star thresholds.

Any ideas?

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lebkin

Those updates are stored in the Xbox's internal memory, not on your hard drive.  As such, there is only so much room.  Because of that, as you play more games, that eventually fills up.  The Xbox will delete the oldest updates to make room for new ones.  This will cause you to have to redownload updates you already got. 

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo
    lebkin said:
    "Those updates are stored in the Xbox's internal memory, not on your hard drive.  As such, there is only so much room.  Because of that, as you play more games, that eventually fills up.  The Xbox will delete the oldest updates to make room for new ones.  This will cause you to have to redownload updates you already got. "
    Some games, even freshly played, still seem to ask for a patch update. For instance, if I hop between GoW and RB then I will be asked to update the one of which I just wasn't playing. It's peculiar and only happens on some games. I just think it is some sort of bug that will be fixed with the Fall Update. I have heard what you just said, though, and was surprised when I learned of how it works.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, this is happening to me, also.  Every time I switch games, I have to download an update. 

I hope it is just a small bug.

Avatar image for aneternalenigma
    AnEternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By AnEternalEnigma

It's not a bug. It's now the system was designed.

As stated earlier, the updates are stored in the Xbox 360's internal memory cache, not the HDD. They had to do it this way because Microsoft stupidly insisted on not requiring a HDD for every console. Depending on the size of the update needed to download, it knocks out other updates in the cache. The cache can only hold a certain amount of updates before it starts booting other ones out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.