Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Which 360 would you recommend?

alConn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By alConn

The 60GB @ $250, the Elite 120GB @ $300, or the MW2 bundle 250GB @ $400.  I honestly do not think I will need that much HDD space, I already have one wireless controller from an older system I sold a year or so ago, so I don't really need the two that come with the MW2 bundle, and I will be buying MW2 when it releases.  Also, are the refurbished 360s on eBay a good deal or just a RROD waiting to happen?  Thanks!

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By delta_ass

Just get the 60GB one.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

Go with the Elite.  The extra space is nice when you install games onto your HDD (makes the system run A LOT quieter).  Hopefully they will allow you install all DVDs of a multi-disk game and just keep one disk in the DVD tray.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

If you can find an elite that's a Jasper model, get the elite.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#5  Edited By citizenkane

Depends.  Are you planning on installing games onto your HDD?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6  Edited By natetodamax

I have the Elite and even though I don't download many Arcade titles, I only have about 30 gigs left. I would either get the Elite or the 250GB harddrive

alConn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alConn
    @CitizenKane said:
    " Depends.  Are you planning on installing games onto your HDD? "
    Yes, but I figured I could uninstall the older games from my HDD...this doesn't effect saved games, does it?
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

Make sure it's a Jasper. They seem more reliable.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By raddevon

I have burned through half of the space on my Elite after owning it for a couple of years. I'm not storing movies or music on it. That is purely game-related storage. If I had a 60GB, I would already be in trouble. Take that for what you will.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @alConn said:

" The 60GB @ $250, the Elite 120GB @ $300, or the MW2 bundle 250GB @ $400.  I honestly do not think I will need that much HDD space, I already have one wireless controller from an older system I sold a year or so ago, so I don't really need the two that come with the MW2 bundle, and I will be buying MW2 when it releases.  Also, are the refurbished 360s on eBay a good deal or just a RROD waiting to happen?  Thanks! "

I doubt there'd be any warranty left on any Ebay system. I recently bought a Elite, 120gigs after my first 20 gig died. 60gigs does sound like enough, but I'm willing to be that you'll want more if they really start pushing this digital download copy thing on the marketplaces Games on Demand section. Plus, dollar for dollar, the 120g is a better deal for only like 50 bucks more.

Installing games on the HD is the way to go, it cuts down on load times, it also reduces heat from not having the disc spinning, plus from not having to push all that heat out, the fans dont work as hard and will stay quiet for much longer. I wouldn't worry about RROD nowadays, that problem is long gone, regardless of what the extremely biased and unscientific polls show. You could even look up how to find the Jasper console, which is the newest version of xbox that has like  less then a 10% fail rate.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

I had a Pro (which had hardware failure and MS wouldn't repair -- long story) that came with a 20gb model. I bought an Arcade unit to replace it and used the HDD on it. 20GB has been PLENTY for me up until recently. In fact I ordered a refurbished MS 120gb hdd (sans transfer cable -- which I already have from a friend) from HKofferhouse for less than $70 earlier today.

I think 60 GB would have done me FINE for an additional year or two if I had gotten one when I got my 360 -- all depending on how the digital distribution goes. I'm a proponent of DD. Fuck a disc swap, I say.

Do you plan on downloading full games via Games on Demand? How about installing games? Renting HD movies on demand? If not, you'll probably be fine with the 60 gb model (if you can find one).

DEFINITELY DO NOT GO WITH AN ARCADE MODEL UNLESS YOU PLAN ON BUYING AN HDD SEPARATELY.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Andorski
    @alConn said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    " Depends.  Are you planning on installing games onto your HDD? "
    Yes, but I figured I could uninstall the older games from my HDD...this doesn't effect saved games, does it? "
    Nope, Game Installs are separate from Game Saves.  Still, it's nice to have 4-5 of your latest games currently installed, ready for play whenever you want.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Andorski said:
    Nope, Game Installs are separate from Game Saves.  Still, it's nice to have 4-5 of your latest games currently installed, ready for play whenever you want. "
    But it's really no different from using a disc nowadays, since you have to have the disc in the drive and games are usually optimized for disc reading vs HDD reading. Unless you're talking about buying the games off XBLM via Games on Demand. In which case, I couldn't agree more. 

Once COD:MW2 makes the jump to offering the MP component via digital download, EVERYBODY else will follow.
    alConn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By alConn

Alright, thanks for the responses everyone...it looks as if the Fall 2009 Elites being sold on Amazon are Jasper models, so I will take a look at those...the only thing I really plan on loading my HDD with is game installs...unless Netflix streaming somehow uses the HDD.  Thanks again.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By meteora

Wait, the Elite is only $300 now?

I think its worth the price throwing in the extra $50 dollars for the Elite, if it has the Jasper chip. The extra HDD is nice once you start expanding your gaming library. I'm already stretched with my memory when I thought 60 GB would be enough.

Though if you want to go hardcore you can get the MW2 bundle instead. The 250 GB is pretty huge and it comes with the game and a extra controller. Its a good deal, though it just seems steep having to pay $400 for it rather than say spend $300 for a Elite and paying $60 later for a extra controller then $70 for a new game like Modern Warfare 2.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Andorski
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Andorski said:
    Nope, Game Installs are separate from Game Saves.  Still, it's nice to have 4-5 of your latest games currently installed, ready for play whenever you want. "
    But it's really no different from using a disc nowadays, since you have to have the disc in the drive and games are usually optimized for disc reading vs HDD reading. Unless you're talking about buying the games off XBLM via Games on Demand. In which case, I couldn't agree more.   Once COD:MW2 makes the jump to offering the MP component via digital download, EVERYBODY else will follow. "
    I just like installing games because it makes the system not sound like a jet engine.  Its worth it when playing the game at night with the volume down.
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Novyx

Get the Elite, if you want it cheaper. They have that rebate program going now anyways. I have a 60gb from when they were new last year, and I'm always running low on space. If you can afford the extra $100, that MW2 bundle is a pretty sweet deal for the cash. $60 game plus extra $50 controller plus 130 extra gigs for 100 bucks. If I were in the market for a new 360, I'd be buying that. You'll likely never complain about having more controllers if friends come over. It happens for me just with the people in the household.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I guess the Elete cause $50 for an extra 60 gigs is probably going to come in handy. I've got a measly 20gig HD and I am always having to delete and re-download stuff cause I'm always running out of room.

tedbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tedbear

1080p on-demand video steaming = no need for large HDD

LumBizziL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LumBizziL

yes

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jkz

Elite, and if I'm not mistaken, there's a discount going on with a coupon to get it for $250? Am I wrong about that? Either way, even for 50 dollars more its a good investment, I'm on the verge of needing a new Hard Drive, and considering the price, I'm almost leaning towards buying a new Console (Elite), and then have my 2nd console serve as my backup/system-link console.

alConn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By alConn
    @jukezypoo said:
    " Elite, and if I'm not mistaken, there's a discount going on with a coupon to get it for $250? Am I wrong about that? Either way, even for 50 dollars more its a good investment, I'm on the verge of needing a new Hard Drive, and considering the price, I'm almost leaning towards buying a new Console (Elite), and then have my 2nd console serve as my backup/system-link console. "
    Not that I know of...Amazon had a deal of getting the 12+1 Live for free when buying an elite, but that ended a couple weeks back I think.  If I could get a Jasper Elite for $250 that would be the obvious buy.  Are none of the 60GB Pros Jasper machines?
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Andorski

Here is the $50 rebate for the Elite.  It ends October 5th, so hurry!

alConn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By alConn
    @Andorski said:
    " Here is the $50 rebate for the Elite.  It ends October 5th, so hurry! "
    Sweet....apparently Dell had a 15% off sale going on as well, but it exploded or something.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox

This thread makes me regret buying an arcade and 120gb unit instead of elite. Oh well.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

i would say get the $250 60gig one. if u are really desperate and want to buy one on ebay make sure that it works, maybe has x-clamp mod. x-clamp is suppose to stop rrod. if a person does sell it with that then the warranty for the 360 would be void.  maybe look for one that has only been played for a little bit or something.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Get a fresh $299 Elite. There's a $50 mail in rebate going on with the Elites, I believe, effectively making the Elite $250.  In the long run, the Elite is the best deal for your money. I completely regret buying an Arcade and upgrading from there.

Edit: Did a quick google, and I can confirm that the mail in rebate is going on until October 5, for US customers only.

Edit, the sequel: Damn, someone beat me to it.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Philantrophy

Elite. 

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By demontium
    @alConn: my elite broke thrice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.