Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

XBL Silver account huh? Ouch.

• 89 results
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeadWeezel

Basically my Gold account expired.   I've found PSN is adequate for online gaming although of course not on par with Live so far.  However, now that I am one of the filthy unpaying horde it means I now have to wait a week for demo downloads.

I must have missunderstood something.

I have to wait a week to be advertised to?  I actually am expected to pay, to download adverts?  This seems wrong at best.
    A demo for a game has one purpous in life, to help you decide you like the game and that you want to pay money for the retail product.  It takes a developer a fair bit of effort to even make a demo.  And they do it for that reason alone.

Microsoft have every reason to want you to buy games on their platform, they get a slice of money for every copy sold.  Yet I am finding that games like the upcoming Force Unleashed will have a demo on PSN and XBL within a day or so of eachother, and since I can get the Playstation demo immediatley that pretty much solidifies where I will decide to buy the game, shoud I like it.

Now thats one thing, but I have found it does something else more destructive to Xbox.  Since I have all current consoles and enjoy each my money is not so capable of covering every game I want on every system, so when platform exlusives like Ninja Gaiden 2 and Too Human are on the way, I rush on over to the Marketplace and see that big red logo that tells me "We do not need you to buy this game" and that is exactly the message I take away, because quite often by the time that week is over the demo news and chat has died down, and I forget about it or just stop caring.

I would have no problem paying for Live again some time, it is a superb service.  But Microsoft fucked up on scale elephantine when they first tried to differentiate Gold and Silver accounts, and now years into the console they still are trying to make it feel like you get something worth paying money for over the free account.  There are a few reason I know, but video chat on my camera on my bandwidth and week late demo downloads is certainly not one.

I just felt like letting that out.  It seems unusually stupid for Microsoft.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

so...you came to tell us the dream that is psn and the scum that is xbox live then? sorry but its a week a freaking week, if you cannot wait that long then i hardly believe you in your honesty of not wanting just ending up the unpaying horde.

its a week thats it, nothing but a week. and let alone the fact that xbox live still gets more demos then psn most of the time. i dont really see the problem, and really a demo doesn't cost much to make in terms of time or money for a company, its a week to a months time of work to get a demo up and going.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Bennyishere

I agree with delaying demos being unfair. I don't think punishing Silver members is the best way to get new Gold members...

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By xplodedd

and most demos are inaccurate and show wrong pictures within games.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By Soap

Shocking how close the PSN is coming to Xbox Live Gold, especially seeing as you don't even have to pay for that... I wonder if microsoft will have to do something about that

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By xplodedd
    Soap said:
    "Shocking how close the PSN is coming to Xbox Live Gold, especially seeing as you don't even have to pay for that... I wonder if microsoft will have to do something about that"
    do you own any of these service, it doesn't look like it. XBL is far better, in less lag, and more content.
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeadWeezel
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "so...you came to tell us the dream that is psn and the scum that is xbox live then? sorry but its a week a freaking week, if you cannot wait that long then i hardly believe you in your honesty of not wanting just ending up the unpaying horde.

its a week thats it, nothing but a week. and let alone the fact that xbox live still gets more demos then psn most of the time. i dont really see the problem, and really a demo doesn't cost much to make in terms of time or money for a company, its a week to a months time of work to get a demo up and going.
    "
    No, no.  I really do like all the systems and their networks for the different things they offer.  But I gotta vent somewhere, right?

It was very frustrating to not be able to talk about (this time) Too Human's demo with some friends, because we all know there was a lot of build up to get hands on with, right?
    Well I finally did the other day.  I like this industry and like to be up to date, but would anyone seriously pay the price of a full retail game once a year to get a demo on time?  I played untold hours on Live but I really do not care enough about the better voice chat etc any more to keep on paying when games like CoD4 and Burnout Paradise play exactly the same on another system I happen to also own, for free.

Lets put it this way, if Gold was providing dedicated servers for lag free games that would go a decent way to justifying the cost, but instead of that the solutions so far have been to delay access to demos and charge for (just my favourite example) video chat which does not even pass over a microsoft server once it is initiated.

Between work and the other consoles, friends and what have you a week is a long time to forget about some things.
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeadWeezel
    Soap said:
    "Shocking how close the PSN is coming to Xbox Live Gold, especially seeing as you don't even have to pay for that... I wonder if microsoft will have to do something about that
    "
    Some time perhaps, but from ample time on both I can tell you for sure that where both have benefits over the other, Live is a tight and reliable service where PSN is more like anarchy.

On the upside for PSN you got open access, developers can treat games like they are on the PC with mods and live content etc, but XBL has a great set of standards, good voice chat and cross game invites with a unified interface.

One is more open, one is higher standard quality.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Yeah, you'd really think being able to actually play online with friends would be enough to differentiate from Gold accounts and Silver accounts. I also hate the fact that my account is stuck a child account forever, and therefore cannot download M rated content at all, it's sad, I hope the new Dashboard gives me the option of changing that.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DeadWeezel
    Gorillawhat said:
    "Yeah, you'd really think being able to actually play online with friends would be enough to differentiate from Gold accounts and Silver accounts. I also hate the fact that my account is stuck a child account forever, and therefore cannot download M rated content at all, it's sad, I hope the new Dashboard gives me the option of changing that.
    "
    I thought they had long ago fixed that child account thing?  I'm sure MN and E spoke about it on majornelson.com months ago.

As for playing online being enough?  Not for people who grew up on a PC playing for free, or PS3 owners who get the same!
    I know they need to make money, but this method probably will not last much longer.  Live Gold on PC is now free I believe because PC users tend to laugh at the idea of paying for that.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny how people will attack this guy for stating his opinions. It's not like he is being a fanboy at all. Do we all have to sugar coat the Xbox experience and not talk about its flaws? Come on...

I agree to an extent, PSN is better IMO, and is really really close to XBL when keeping in mind its free. PSN will be getting revamped later this year as well as in 09. The in-game XMB, trophies, movi store, etc, was just the first step according to them. So just like they revamped the PS Store (which now looks and functions better then the XBLM IMO), they will be doing the same with PSN, adding more features and whatnot. Like they did with the max 100 friends recently and so on.

But MS really needs to do something, not only are you paying 50 bucks but you even get ads in your face after giving them money? Most places tell you to register for an account (money) to remove the  ads, but MS does the opposite. Shows how much money they are trying to make.

So by this time next year PSN will be really close, and MS will HAVE to react. Either by lowering the price of XBL or removing it compeltely... like thats going to happen.

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By MsCortana

Do we really need to turn this thread into a system wars debate?  The fact is that those that pay, have access to content first and in my eyes that is how it should be.  Now regarding the statement by Sentry, that PSN is "better" than XBL, my response to that is...are you serious?  Seriously that is just laughable....

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By brukaoru

I sorta have to agree with your point about demos. Demos help let people make a decision whether they want to purchase a game or not, so why make Silver accounts wait? Seems like they could lose potential sales of the game in question.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wolverine

They make silver account members wait a week for demos so that they download faster for the gold members.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MsCortana said:
    "Do we really need to turn this thread into a system wars debate?  The fact is that those that pay, have access to content first and in my eyes that is how it should be.  Now regarding the statement by Sentry, that PSN is "better" than XBL, my response to that is...are you serious?  Seriously that is just laughable....
    "

Where in the hell did I say that PSN is better then XBL? It's just not. It's better as a FREE service, obviously, but as a service minus whatever its costs, XBL is better. But thats the thing, im not going to act like the price doesn't exist, becase it does. PSN is getting really close and its free, and MS needs to do something about it. How is this a system wars thread when we are talking about the price of XBL and why it should go down.. How is that system wars debate? So no one here can talk about flaws in either system? Jesus..
    MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MsCortana
    Sentry said:

Where in the hell did I say that PSN is better then XBL?
    "
    In your statement here:
    Sentry said:

I agree to an extent, PSN is better IMO,
    "
    When you get into the whole, system A is better than system B than that my friend is something better to be debated in a console war type forum.  Geez....didn't mean to ruffle your proverbial feathers....it's just my opinion as is your opinion yours.  No need for all the hostility....it's just a forum. :P

I hate to bust your bubble, but PSN is no where near close to having a service as XBL....not even close.  Nor is the community as expansive and that is what makes the Xbox live experience what it is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MsCortana said:
    "Sentry said:

Where in the hell did I say that PSN is better then XBL?
    "
    In your statement here:
    Sentry said:

I agree to an extent, PSN is better IMO,
    "
    When you get into the whole, system A is better than system B than that my friend is something better to be debated in a console war type forum.  Geez....didn't mean to ruffle your proverbial feathers....it's just my opinion as is your opinion yours.  No need for all the hostility....it's just a forum. :P
    "

Notice how I say to an extent. When talking about values PSN is better, because its free, when talking about raw functionality without the price XBL is better; my point...

I'm just saying that im tired of everyone being so defensive about a system, like they can't talk about its flaws whatsoever without being called a fanboy.
    Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hulk
    MsCortana said:
    "Do we really need to turn this thread into a system wars debate?  The fact is that those that pay, have access to content first and in my eyes that is how it should be.  Now regarding the statement by Sentry, that PSN is "better" than XBL, my response to that is...are you serious?  Seriously that is just laughable....
    "
    Hulk agree.
    MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MsCortana
    Sentry said:

I'm just saying that im tired of everyone being so defensive about a system, like they can't talk about its flaws whatsoever without being called a fanboy.
    "
    I definitely understand, to an extent and your aforementioned point is duly noted.  The flaws of any console can be discussed in a manner that doesn't come off as fan-boyish, however, there will always  be those that will misconstrue your statements.  It's a catch 22....You can't please everybody....:D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, true.

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cynical_M

I don't mind paying for gold....I think it's worth it...

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Player1

They used to sell demo disk, and it takes up Microsoft's bandwidth for you to download it, so I guess I understand their thinking in making people pay for early access. But still like you said demos are more advertisements then anything.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By LightYagami245
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "so...you came to tell us the dream that is psn and the scum that is xbox live then? sorry but its a week a freaking week, if you cannot wait that long then i hardly believe you in your honesty of not wanting just ending up the unpaying horde.

"
    He just want s to rant and start up a big fuss in the forum.

I don't mind paying for a Gold membership. It's $50, the 360 controllers(and the PS3 controllers too I think) are that price also, so it's not so bad. IMO, I think it's worth the price. if you like the PSN, use the PSN. Just don't try to come to a 360 forum and try to make everyone do the same.
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DeadWeezel

Anyone who thinks a comparison of what is readily available in the same market space is flame bait is looking too hard.

The plain point is that I am unhappy with Xbox Live's current model, and I have every right to be because I have been there since the start.  Paying.  When there is a case for case example of a service working differently, what is wrong with making it an example?  Some of us do not feel a need to fight over the validity of consumer electronics.  We just like them.

I'd prefer it if people came to argue with me that the fee is valid and tell me why they think so, not kick off on some bender because they can not accept I have no fucking scret agenda.  I really hoped we might avoid that given it being a new forum.

Examples are sometimes useful.  So I'll just thank those who understood that, and replied in kind.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#25  Edited By Vinchenzo

$50, complain more.

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MsCortana

nailerr said:
    "

The plain point is that I am unhappy with Xbox Live's current model, and I have every right to be because I have been there since the start.  Paying.  
    Yeah, but you're no longer paying.....

It's like saying, I have used my phone service for years and been a loyal paying customer.  Then one day you stop paying, your service is disconnected and you start complaining that a specific service from the phone company isn't readily available to non-paying customers.  Just because you used their service for years, doesn't mean they owe you anything.  It's not a logical nor valid argument.  If you want the content then pay the fee, if not, then quit complaining and wait the extra week.  It's as simple as that. 

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Psynapse
    Hulk said:
    "MsCortana said:
    "
    Hulk agree.
    "

Omg what is it with people and talking in third person! Its not funny nor cool...
    Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Homer

Vinchenzo said:

"$50, complain more.
    "

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DeadWeezel
    MsCortana said:
    "

nailerr said:
    "

The plain point is that I am unhappy with Xbox Live's current model, and I have every right to be because I have been there since the start.  Paying.  
    Yeah, but you're no longer paying.....

It's like saying, I have used my phone service for years and been a loyal paying customer.  Then one day you stop paying, your service is disconnected and you start complaining that a specific service from the phone company isn't readily available to non-paying customers.  Just because you used their service for years, doesn't mean they owe you anything.  It's not a logical nor valid argument.  If you want the content then pay the fee, if not, then quit complaining and wait the extra week.  It's as simple as that. 

"
    Actually, you are quite right.  I'm afraid I was up early for work there and was a bit frustrated with the - I suppose inevitable - name calling.  I say stupid things in the early morning.  Anyway...

I'm not complaining about the lack of on-line gaming for example, and admittedly it's fully opt-in anyway so there is no valid cause for complaint.  Perhaps I should of said it like this first:

I am confused as to why Xbox Live see it fit to not only sling adverts at you as a paying customer but also limit the access to the demo's that encourage people to throw money their way for the non paying members.  Surely if you have customers who are not paying monthly/yearly for a service the thing you want most at that point is for them to at least be spending their gaming budget on your platform?

I grew up on old consoles, then PC gaming when the Internet really started to kick off.  Like anyone else who did that there are just some conventions that make little sense to us in the current console generation, such as Live on PC has shown.  Better to charge for content than service in some situations, perhaps.

This said however I really do like the way Live works now with 360 in that when Fable 2, Gears 2 and 2 Human (sorry, seriously...) hit I can just got pick up 3 months of live time and get in some Castle Crashers with my friends.  That is at least the best of an undesirable situation.
    WhySoGodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WhySoGodly

Ew @ people who say PSN is close to matching Live. It's nowhere near it, you must either be a fanboy or all you want is the basic online play. The only other option is that you are out of your mind.

I love how PSN supporters are always quick to point out how it has a web browser yet they disregard everything Xbox Live does. Apparently, Xbox Live only has cross game invites, custom soundtracks, in game private chat/messaging..

The few things PSN does, Xbox Live does better with more features. Just because PSN is free does not mean it's better.

By that logic, living in a shack is better than living in a mansion.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DeadWeezel

Clearly I should have used PC demo's as an example.  Can we now drop the console arguments?

Any old PC gamers have an opinion on Live?  Feel you get what you pay for compared to the familiar old days of Gamespy and publisher hosted servers?

Shinedown220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shinedown220
    nailerr said:
    "Basically my Gold account expired.   I've found PSN is adequate for online gaming although of course not on par with Live so far.  However, now that I am one of the filthy unpaying horde it means I now have to wait a week for demo downloads.

I have to wait a week to be advertised to?  I actually am expected to pay, to download adverts?  This seems wrong at best.
    A demo for a game has one purpous in life, to help you decide you like the game and that you want to pay money for the retail product.  It takes a developer a fair bit of effort to even make a demo.  And they do it for that reason alone.

Microsoft have every reason to want you to buy games on their platform, they get a slice of money for every copy sold.  Yet I am finding that games like the upcoming Force Unleashed will have a demo on PSN and XBL within a day or so of eachother, and since I can get the Playstation demo immediatley that pretty much solidifies where I will decide to buy the game, shoud I like it.

Now thats one thing, but I have found it does something else more destructive to Xbox.  Since I have all current consoles and enjoy each my money is not so capable of covering every game I want on every system, so when platform exlusives like Ninja Gaiden 2 and Too Human are on the way, I rush on over to the Marketplace and see that big red logo that tells me "We do not need you to buy this game" and that is exactly the message I take away, because quite often by the time that week is over the demo news and chat has died down, and I forget about it or just stop caring.

I would have no problem paying for Live again some time, it is a superb service.  But Microsoft fucked up on scale elephantine when they first tried to differentiate Gold and Silver accounts, and now years into the console they still are trying to make it feel like you get something worth paying money for over the free account.  There are a few reason I know, but video chat on my camera on my bandwidth and week late demo downloads is certainly not one.

"
    Doing something stupid is not unusual for Microsoft!
    Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Riddler

If you cant pay 4 bucks a month, you better learn to wait your extra one week.

......and if you cant, heres an advice, ONE DAY a month, for ONE day, dont GO TO McDONALDS and supersize your fries, and youll be able to afford xboxlive and not bitch about it anymore.

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Riddler
    Soap said:
    "Shocking how close the PSN is coming to Xbox Live Gold, especially seeing as you don't even have to pay for that... I wonder if microsoft will have to do something about that
    "
    Play on live first before you post comments comparing that PATHETIC excuse of an online service called PSN to xboxlive
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

You don't have $8.00?

>__>

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DeadWeezel

No.  I do not.  I am not using that currency.  (just being sarcastic for the sake of it)

None the less, it is not about the money so much as the value for it.  I think Live can justify payment, but not how it is currently done.  The users host the games, not Microsoft.  they are the joining factor that link players together.  And as good as that is, the current "what you get" for the money does not come across as proportionate.

What actually is your money going towards?  It's not servers for lag free games with more players and it is not for bandwidth of voice chat or video, because that also is peer to peer networking.  The advertising alone has to go  a fair way to covering the costs of running Live.

I've no problem with people paying for something, weather they know or care what it actually provides is of no concern to me.  But I want to know.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

If it makes you feel any better, Sony users are going to have to start paying for some demos only available through their "qore" gaming service.  So yea, everybody sucks, and we're all paying to be advertised to. : (

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nailerr said:
    "No.  I do not.  I am not using that currency.  (just being sarcastic for the sake of it)

None the less, it is not about the money so much as the value for it.  I think Live can justify payment, but not how it is currently done.  The users host the games, not Microsoft.  they are the joining factor that link players together.  And as good as that is, the current "what you get" for the money does not come across as proportionate.

What actually is your money going towards?  It's not servers for lag free games with more players and it is not for bandwidth of voice chat or video, because that also is peer to peer networking.  The advertising alone has to go  a fair way to covering the costs of running Live.

I've no problem with people paying for something, weather they know or care what it actually provides is of no concern to me.  But I want to know.
    "

Exactly, instead of Microsoft wasting millions if not billions on getting exclusives and shit to their platform, they need to put that into funding XBL even more... but even without that, ads could pay for a lot of it, but they refuse.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

When 360 makes up over half the current gen gaming market, you'd have to be out of your mind as a 3rd party developer to not develop your game for PS3 and 360.  I really doubt MS is having to pay billions to secure exclusives.  The exceptions to this are actual 3rd party exclusives--such as Rockstar's forthcoming GTA downloadable content--and likely Final Fantasy XIII.  I'm guessing Square told MS they would port the game after finishing the US PS3 version, and MS paid them to hold the US PS3 version back for a day and date simultaneous release with the 360 version.

Either way, Sony did the exact same thing--spent billions securing exclusivity--only with Blu Ray movies instead of games.  Nothing to blame either company for, as both were smart moves for Sony and MS to make.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KindGalaxy

@OP

You have a problem waiting 7 days for something you call ADVERTISEMENT. I call it a demo, I've already decided if I'm going to buy Too Human (I'm not), or another retail product. Live membership costs me... I forget, because it's so damn cheap I don't care. I enjoy my PSN but right now I'm having huge difficulties getting it to download 2.42 and I want to buy PixelJunk Eden tomorrow and I doubt I'll be able to because of these issues, yet X360's Live and even my Wii's Internet capability is still working but am having serious issues getting 2.42 that I am enjoy Geometry Wars 2 much more than awaiting my next shitty PSN patch. Pay the Gold service, enjoy everyone having a freaking mic in multiplayer and keep the lips zipped.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpaceInsomniac said:
    "When 360 makes up over half the current gen gaming market, you'd have to be out of your mind as a 3rd party developer to not develop your game for PS3 and 360.  I really doubt MS is having to pay billions to secure exclusives.  The exceptions to this are actual 3rd party exclusives--such as Rockstar's forthcoming GTA downloadable content--and likely Final Fantasy XIII.  I'm guessing Square told MS they would port the game after finishing the US PS3 version, and MS paid them to hold the US PS3 version back for a day and date simultaneous release with the 360 version.

Either way, Sony did the exact same thing--spent billions securing exclusivity--only with Blu Ray movies instead of games.  Nothing to blame either company for, as both were smart moves for Sony and MS to make.
    "

Lol, really? GTA IV, for one, how many million? FF13 was obviously a cash in, since they don't even know how they are going to do it yet, its all very sudden/recent, last minute basically. So it's obvious MS is paying, not only to secure titles on their platform as well, but for 'exclusive DLC'. And how is Sony spending that much securing BD exclusives? That makes no sense whatever, if HD DVD is not even existent anymore how would they be PAYING for exclusives? And even when HD DVD WAS alive, Sony wasn't paying for exclusives.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pause422
    xplodedd said:
    "Soap said:
    "Shocking how close the PSN is coming to Xbox Live Gold, especially seeing as you don't even have to pay for that... I wonder if microsoft will have to do something about that"
    do you own any of these service, it doesn't look like it. XBL is far better, in less lag, and more content.
    "
    Both services are fine,and sure XBL has had more features to begin with,they first established it in 04' in its infant stage,but yes for the most part the quality of the two are very on par, But the comment above I just can't get over. Almost every game that is multiplatform will play the same sure,or Battlefield Bad Company because it uses dedicated servers. But other than that,the fact that live is based on of taking a player as a host and using their bandwidth, that is definitely insuperior to all the PS3 games that have dedicated lag free servers.

And no this isn't a flame against microsoft,I have both consoles and I like both services for different reasons(mainly their DLC of games is really different from one another.) Now if microsoft ever becomes an open service(which will never happen) or starts running dedicated servers for all of their games as well,then yes at this very time you can outright say XBL is better by a long shot, but its not going to happen,so its definitely not this service that is MILES ahead of the competiton.,its a few,very few features left. (not including the ton of "bigger" library of arcade games and movies/tv shows where quantity to say"we have more" is better than quality.)

Biggest thing is any online game is 'playable' fine on both services,and we should just be happy that if we have either console and not the other,we can still play those games we like online and have fun.
    LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By LightYagami245
    nailerr said:
    "Anyone who thinks a comparison of what is readily available in the same market space is flame bait is looking too hard.

The plain point is that I am unhappy with Xbox Live's current model, and I have every right to be because I have been there since the start.  Paying.  When there is a case for case example of a service working differently, what is wrong with making it an example?  Some of us do not feel a need to fight over the validity of consumer electronics.  We just like them.

I'd prefer it if people came to argue with me that the fee is valid and tell me why they think so, not kick off on some bender because they can not accept I have no fucking scret agenda.  I really hoped we might avoid that given it being a new forum.

Examples are sometimes useful.  So I'll just thank those who understood that, and replied in kind.
    "
    I see what you meant now. My mistake. I thought you were just saying that it's not good and saying that others should get a PS3 to use PSN.
    MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MsCortana
    nailerr said:

I am confused as to why Xbox Live see it fit to not only sling adverts at you as a paying customer but also limit the access to the demo's that encourage people to throw money their way for the non paying members.  Surely if you have customers who are not paying monthly/yearly for a service the thing you want most at that point is for them to at least be spending their gaming budget on your platform?

I would assume their rebuttal to that would be  trial codes, and plenty of them.  I remember when GTA IV came out, every copy had a free trial code.  Honestly, as a paying customer, I believe I should have content and/or service that a non-paying customer doesn't.  It's not like you don't have access to demos, you just have to wait longer.  So if we look at this as the glass is half full, then at least as a silver account holder you have access to almost everything a paying customer does, minus live and a few other minute things.  So really who's getting jipped here?  The paying customer or the non-paying customer?

I definitely understand your point and your disdain for not having demos available, in what you believe, is a timely manner.  Even if you are silver customer, you are a paying consumer otherwise..i.e..games, accessories..I just do not understand, why a silver account holder should have access to content that a gold account holder does, logically, it doesn't make sense.  Not to sound arrogant, but as a paying customer, I want my content first, I want to be first in line, after all, as a loyal live user, I am the one paying my way and utilizing the service to it's fullest extent.
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DeadWeezel
    LightYagami245 said:
    "nailerr said:
    "Anyone who thinks a comparison of what is readily available in the same market space is flame bait is looking too hard.

"
    I see what you meant now. My mistake. I thought you were just saying that it's not good and saying that others should get a PS3 to use PSN.
    "
    No problem then.  Although I think my rant/question really has triggered the usual rukkus over things.  For that I appologise, just wish it was easier to have a forum thread stay on topic.  Perhaps my next one will be about Pie ;)
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DeadWeezel
    MsCortana said:
    I would assume their rebuttal to that would be  trial codes, and plenty of them.  I remember when GTA IV came out, every copy had a free trial code.  Honestly, as a paying customer, I believe I should have content and/or service that a non-paying customer doesn't.  It's not like you don't have access to demos, you just have to wait longer.  So if we look at this as the glass is half full, then at least as a silver account holder you have access to almost everything a paying customer does, minus live and a few other minute things.  So really who's getting jipped here?  The paying customer or the non-paying customer?

I definitely understand your point and your disdain for not having demos available, in what you believe, is a timely manner.  Even if you are silver customer, you are a paying consumer otherwise..i.e..games, accessories..I just do not understand, why a silver account holder should have access to content that a gold account holder does, logically, it doesn't make sense.  Not to sound arrogant, but as a paying customer, I want my content first, I want to be first in line, after all, as a loyal live user, I am the one paying my way and utilizing the service to it's fullest extent.
    "
    Actually that is sort of what I mean, except I think you might of said it with added clarity.  Yes!  A paying subscriber wants to be first in line, and rightly so (actually, that's a different issue but lets say yes for this one) so the way I see it is more that Silver accounts had been given too much from the start and paying members saw nearly no benefit for their money.  So as time went on Xbox Live tried to widen the gap between the two, but instead of offering Gold accounts things of more value such as no adverts on the dash (if you choose so) or better yet, Microsoft hosted servers for better gaming!  This is the bit that really bit me when I chose not to renew.

Instead of imporving Gold they just sort of pressed down on Silver.  See what I mean?
    MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MsCortana
    pause422 said:
    so its definitely not this service that is MILES ahead of the competiton.,its a few,very few features left. (not including the ton of "bigger" library of arcade games and movies/tv shows where quantity to say"we have more" is better than quality.)

I disagree.  Not only is the quantity there so is the quality, from the service, to lag free gameplay to the extensive community.  You know, all this boils down to, is users debating the two services, once again.  I have no complaints with XBL, none.  Others do.  Who cares?  It's all frivolous in my eyes.  If you enjoy the service, pay to play, if you don't, then quit whining about it's faults and go play on someone else's console. 
    PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PaperPlain
    nailerr said:
    "Basically my Gold account expired.   I've found PSN is adequate for online gaming although of course not on par with Live so far.  However, now that I am one of the filthy unpaying horde it means I now have to wait a week for demo downloads.

"
    I agree. I tried to download the Too Human demo after I got my new Silver account(meaning my Gold expired) and I was really surprised. Silver is basically worthless.
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DeadWeezel

Oh, I forgot to mention my Xbox RROD'd ten hours after the account expired.  Don't read too much into that now, people ;)

This happened exactly 10 hours after my Gold account expired.  SINISTAR!
    This happened exactly 10 hours after my Gold account expired. SINISTAR!

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50  Edited By OGCartman

XBL pwns PSN

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.