Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox 360 Elite Now $299, Pro Fades Away

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By tekmojo

Source 
     - - - - - -
    Starting this Friday, Microsoft announces that the the price tag on the 360 Elite will be lowered to $299. Does this come as a response to the competition with the latest PS3 price drop/slim? Microsft says they have been planning this shift in price for several months, gearing for the holiday season.

Accessory prices are stated to stay the same, and one notable inclusion of the HDMI cable that comes with the 360 Elite will not be included in the newly repackaged $299 edition. This also means that the current 360 Pro units that are out there will be dropped to $249 until supplies run out. 

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm curious to see what people think. Is that enough? It's cool for the console race that they've price matched Sony -- but remember when the PS3 was really expensive? People lauded all the features the PS3 had over the 360. Well they ain't gone away. And the consoles are the same price (or even $50 more if you prefer).

It's awesome for anyone who's looking to get either a PS3 or a 360 right now... But man, I know this is my opinion but, I think it's amazing to see Sony go from "most expensive" to "cheapest" (I'm aware both the Wii and Arcade are technically cheaper, but you get where I'm coming from right?)

And as for Microsoft planning the drop. I'm sure they had an idea they would drop this year. But the timing has everything to do with Sony.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I actually seriously considered getting one or the other for the first time ever.  I guess that drop was what it took.  Then again, is this price drop across the board or only in the U.S.?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @ahoodedfigure said:

" I actually seriously considered getting one or the other for the first time ever.  I guess that drop was what it took.  Then again, is this price drop across the board or only in the U.S.? "

The Pro's are down to £150 (while stocks last) and £200 for the Elites in the UK, which are great prices (Wii is £170 and PS3 Slim is £250).  But I'd have prefered to see a drop in price for the HDD's, those things are just way too expensive. 

They did say the price drop affects the rest of Europe too, but didn't give exact details.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb
    @WinterSnowblind: The Arcade has gone up in the UK though. Elite is £199, Arcade is now £159 I believe.

They've pulled the HDMI cables out (which is fine because they're super cheap anyway) and the Arcade apparently no longer comes with any free XBOX LIve Arcade titles (although I wasn't aware it did in the first place).
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ChickenPants

These price drops are awesome for consumers, I think the PS3 slim represents the best bang for your buck at the moment(never thought I'd hear myself saying that.)

I'm going to buy one and play me some Uncharted 2 and Demon Soul's :)

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tekmojo

I think it will clear up is the 3 different SKU confusion. Which one do I get? What SKU has the best options? Any time you make it easier for consumers, it's a big plus. 

One of things that make the PS3 in a better position at this point in time, is that they have the option to market the new slim more attractively to consumers than the Elite. However, it doesn't mean they will pull through 100%. 

Someone get Michael Pachter on the phone.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#8  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @get2sammyb: I wonder if that's to make the Elite a more attractive choice.  But yeah, it's true.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @get2sammyb said:
    " I'm curious to see what people think. Is that enough? It's cool for the console race that they've price matched Sony -- but remember when the PS3 was really expensive? People lauded all the features the PS3 had over the 360. Well they ain't gone away. And the consoles are the same price (or even $50 more if you prefer).

It's awesome for anyone who's looking to get either a PS3 or a 360 right now... But man, I know this is my opinion but, I think it's amazing to see Sony go from "most expensive" to "cheapest" (I'm aware both the Wii and Arcade are technically cheaper, but you get where I'm coming from right?)

And as for Microsoft planning the drop. I'm sure they had an idea they would drop this year. But the timing has everything to do with Sony. "
    To be fair, quite a few of the "old, expensive" PS3's features have gone away. For example: Backwards compatibility, memory card slots, etc. Also I heard you can't install Linux on the Slim PS3s now for some reason.
    Auxilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Auxilla

Good thing I sold my Pro before the price drop.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By get2sammyb
    @JJWeatherman: Without a doubt, but it still has a boosted feature set over the Elite.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hitchenson
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @JJWeatherman: Without a doubt, but it still has a boosted feature set over the Elite. "
    Just curious, what?
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

Anybody else think Nintendo is kinda screwed? The one thing people loved about the Wii was the low price, but now that's no longer an advantage.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PJ

Yeah the 360 Elite adn PS3 are now the same price and there will be a heated battle for sales this holyday season. 

BUT. The fact is that no mather how much everyone hates on the arcade sku it sells really well. So in all honesty I dont think that the PS3 will overtake the 360 in sales by that large of a margin since while the PS3 will get a huge boost whit the slim the Elite will also get a boost(though obviously smaller) the arcade will still sell to the ppl that dont care about features and just wants to play games, since its cheaper. It doesnt mather if you and I think that the arcade is useless since the hardcore croud isnt the ones that buy the majority of the consoles.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By erinfizz
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " Anybody else think Nintendo is kinda screwed? The one thing people loved about the Wii was the low price, but now that's no longer an advantage. "
    I think this could bring a second or third console into many homes. There are lots of people out there still rockin a PS2, or that have a Wii for the kids that would love to get a 360 or PS3 for shooters and action games.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Hitchenson said:

" @get2sammyb said:

" @JJWeatherman: Without a doubt, but it still has a boosted feature set over the Elite. "
    Just curious, what? "
    Blu-ray, wi-fi, battery charger kits, free (if not arguably inferior) online and statistically confirmed greater hardware reliability (we're not sure about the Slim yet). 360 boasts an included headset (and possibly a component cable - confirm or deny?) as an additional feature on the PS3.

So at an even price of $299, the "aware" consumer must see that the Playstation 3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 360 in terms of "value". I'm not talking about games or those "not in the know". I'm just saying, when you look at them both at $299... Fuck, the 360 seems expensive to me. Or the PS3 seems super cheap. Look at it how you wish.

Of course, Sony's job is to communicate that now. The prices are matched, they need to make people know.
    Anarchist4Eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Anarchist4Eva
    @PJ said:
    " Yeah the 360 Elite adn PS3 are now the same price and there will be a heated battle for sales this holyday season.   BUT. The fact is that no mather how much everyone hates on the arcade sku it sells really well. So in all honesty I dont think that the PS3 will overtake the 360 in sales by that large of a margin since while the PS3 will get a huge boost whit the slim the Elite will also get a boost(though obviously smaller) the arcade will still sell to the ppl that dont care about features and just wants to play games, since its cheaper. It doesnt mather if you and I think that the arcade is useless since the hardcore croud isnt the ones that buy the majority of the consoles. "
    Very true indeed. There is the consumer that will only see price before anything else. The rub here is when they get that fresh new box home & hook it up, they want to play Halo 3 and get the DLC only to find out that they should have got the Elite instead.  

I have to give M$ credit for making the hard drive part of the standard feature set of a high-end console. The benefits are just worth more than the cost of entry. That's always been my problem with the Arcade model.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ninjakiller
    @erinfizz said:
    " @Video_Game_King said:
    " Anybody else think Nintendo is kinda screwed? The one thing people loved about the Wii was the low price, but now that's no longer an advantage. "
    I think this could bring a second or third console into many homes. There are lots of people out there still rockin a PS2, or that have a Wii for the kids that would love to get a 360 or PS3 for shooters and action games. "
    Nah, Nintendo will just drop their price to $150 is sales lag, they can afford to do so.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This makes me angry, why not lower the price of the 60gig to $199 instead of get rid of it and drop the arcade to $150 or get rid of the arcade?  (I already have a 360 by the way)  They are pretty much fucking people with the arcade model.  The average consumer doesn't know they need a hard drive to download DLC and other things and that the arcade doesn't have one.  It just doesn't make sense to get rid of the 60 gig model.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Fosssil
    @get2sammyb said:

" Blu-ray, wi-fi, battery charger kits, free (if not arguably inferior) online and statistically confirmed greater hardware reliability (we're not sure about the Slim yet). 360 boasts an included headset (and possibly a component cable - confirm or deny?) as an additional feature on the PS3. So at an even price of $299, the "aware" consumer must see that the Playstation 3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 360 in terms of "value". I'm not talking about games or those "not in the know". I'm just saying, when you look at them both at $299... Fuck, the 360 seems expensive to me. Or the PS3 seems super cheap. Look at it how you wish.  Of course, Sony's job is to communicate that now. The prices are matched, they need to make people know. "

Confirmed, at least for the Elite and Pro versions. I'm not sure if the Arcade comes with a Component cable, but the other two SKUs have one.

EDIT: Sorry, turns out the Elite isn't coming with a component cable.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green
    @xobballox said:
    " This makes me angry, why not lower the price of the 60gig to $199 instead of get rid of it and drop the arcade to $150 or get rid of the arcade?  (I already have a 360 by the way)  They are pretty much fucking people with the arcade model.  The average consumer doesn't know they need a hard drive to download DLC and other things and that the arcade doesn't have one.  It just doesn't make sense to get rid of the 60 gig model. "
    dude my thoughts. i think they should have got rid of the arcade and just kept the pro and elite. i think the people who want a 360 have a 360. i think it's just the ps3 that people want now.
    PSUDude66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By PSUDude66

figures I buy a pro and they do this

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.