Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox 360 JRPGs- Your Opinions

• 63 results
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

So as it stands, the actual real games (not remakes or extremely low budget) jrpgs (not srpgs) are as follows:  Enchanted Arms, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, and the Last Remnant.

Simply, what's your opinions on these? Only comment if you've played a good chunk of it (or state how much you've played):

Enchanted Arms:  I rented this and got a good amount in, although I didn't finish it.  I find it to be incredibly boring.  The long gears of war 1 type pathways of random battles absolutely killed it.  (rental-partial completion)

Blue Dragon: Simply awesome.  It's like a better dragonquest.  The battle system is really fun and it's extremely polished.  Great for a fun-going  anime fan who also likes the serious animes.  The story is pretty good.  It's not the best in anything, but it does everything damn well.  Blue Dragon is the new Dragonquest to me (it's not like that's on consoles anyway now).  I own this.  This game really builds on the niche and somewhat generic, but (although I'm not directly comparing the two) it's almost like Gears of War.  It uses average concepts but just does it well.  (own and completed)

Eternal Sonata:  Somewhat good, but I just couldn't get into it because, well, everything seemed geared towards people with disabilities.  For example, when a major plot element occurs happens there's always a cutscene after explaining it.  Thank you captain obvious!  Not my type.  I again, rented this and did not completely finish this.  (rental- mostly completed, i think)

Lost Odyssey:  While this one isn't as polished as Blue Dragon, it's story and build up is easily one of the best.   I can't stress it enough, this story is awesome.  Yes, it uses the cliche "amnesiatic man" thing, but it really has reason for this.  Every character has a story and is well developed (except maybe sarah, but whatever, she develops kaim if anything).   That being said, the battle system is weak.  Kind of weird though considering Blue Dragon also uses a traditional setup and its rocks.  Still decent though, but average on that part.  Overall it's great.  The biggest fault in the game is really an antagonist that is evil pretty much just for power.  Okay, can you get anymore generic? lol. (own and completed)

Last Remnant:  I've just started playing this.  Seems rather good so far.  There are some tech issues, but especialy after installing them they're not anything to worry about and they're mainly while in combat (which is turn based so it doesn't exactly matter).  The gameplay system is rather innovative, not sure if I like it yet.   What struck me is that this game is complicated.  The story so far is the generic, but it seems to be getting deeper and deeper.  The actual plot seems to be, and actually the universe, like FF12.  It  seems to focus on the whole overview of events rather than character development specifically.  (own, just started)

Infinite Undiscovery:   I quite literally just ordered this off amazon for $20.  Haven't played it. 
    What I expect from it:  A Tri-ace rpg.  No, not meaning star ocean, but something someone who likes tri-ace games will like.  I'm not expecting to love it, but it should be decent.  It's short too (30-40 hours rather than the typical jrpg 60-100 ). Hopefully better than Eternal Sonata (their sister company's game).  (bought- coming the 4th)

Anticipating:  Star Ocean 4, Final Fantasy 13, Cry On (suppose to have been out last holiday- judging by the released art contrast it seems like they went from something like Full metal Alchemist to, jees, here's an art comparison:

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

JRPG's are not RPG's. If you like them, fair enough, go ahead. That's your cup of tea and anyone can maintain their own tastes and preferences. Nevertheless, they are not RPG's.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DualReaver

You totally play the role of a guy in a game.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By KamasamaK
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

What?  How are WRPGs anymore of an rpg?  I'd understand that arguement if WRPGs still let you decide your path (more like planetscape or fallout 1/2), but they don't. 
    There's really a fine line between the two, but neither really have the right to coin the term as a rpg is a lose definition tied to the basic idea of a strong story and stats as a central part of combat.   Not really pick your destiny.  If so, there's like none that truly let you do that. 

genres are just loose fitting terms really to identify a game.  people understand the difference when a J or W is added.  Think of it like the term vehicle.  Yes, we could only include cars and things with engines, but even that little red wagon is technically a wagon.
    But anyway, who cares?  People know what I mean by jrpg. 

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By suneku
    BiggerBomb said:
    "JRPG's are not RPG's. If you like them, fair enough, go ahead. That's your cup of tea and anyone can maintain their own tastes and preferences. Nevertheless, they are not RPG's."
    Cool, well I, and plenty of other JRPG fans here (or anywhere for that matter) don't really give a shit whether you think a JRPG is an RPG or not. That isn't the point of the thread. Get over yourself, it's a genre that is accepted by tons of people.

Anyways back on topic, best JRPG so far is Lost Odyssey. But I've enjoyed Tales of Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery the most. Still waiting for Last Remnant from gamefly though.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By weltal

I only have Enchanted Arms and Lost Odyssey. I haven't beaten either. EA is pretty boring, I can't get into the game at all while LO seems like it would be awesome but I can't stand the frequent load times. Every damn thing you do it's got a load time attached to it. Perhaps I'll pull it together an continue playing at some point but not right now.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DualReaver
    suneku said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "JRPG's are not RPG's. If you like them, fair enough, go ahead. That's your cup of tea and anyone can maintain their own tastes and preferences. Nevertheless, they are not RPG's."
    Cool, I, and plenty of other JRPG fans here (or anywhere) don't really give a shit whether you think a JRPGs are RPG or not. That isn't the point of the thread. Get over yourself, it's a genre that is accepted by tons of people.

Anyways back on topic, best JRPG so far is Lost Odyssey. But I've enjoyed Tales of Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery the most. Still waiting for Last Remnant from gamefly though."
    I disagree. This topic is an obvious ploy that was set up to talk about the real issues like: whether or not JRPGs are RPGs in the truest sense of the word.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By suneku
    DualReaver said:
    "suneku said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    Cool, I, and plenty of other JRPG fans here (or anywhere) don't really give a shit whether you think a JRPGs are RPG or not. That isn't the point of the thread. Get over yourself, it's a genre that is accepted by tons of people.

Anyways back on topic, best JRPG so far is Lost Odyssey. But I've enjoyed Tales of Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery the most. Still waiting for Last Remnant from gamefly though."
    I disagree. This topic is an obvious ploy that was set up to talk about the real issues like: whether or not JRPGs are RPGs in the truest sense of the word."
    meh im not going even going to get into this debate then, but I must say, I like it when you use the pikachu icon best
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

don't like them.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    suneku said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    Cool, well I, and plenty of other JRPG fans here (or anywhere for that matter) don't really give a shit whether you think a JRPG is an RPG or not. That isn't the point of the thread. Get over yourself, it's a genre that is accepted by tons of people.

What's the main positives on Infinite Undiscovery (speaking generally)?
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By suneku
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "suneku said:
    "BiggerBomb said:

What's the main positives on Infinite Undiscovery (speaking generally)?"
    I personally liked the story... it's a pretty generic jrpg story so its up to you whether you enjoy generic jrpg stories or not. I didn't think the combat was as buggy as many have said, but it's still really easy  where I can see where it disappoints the fans. But I think it's mainly because of the action element, where I feel that japanese developers still haven't gotten the hang of it. It's short (20 hours for me to beat it)... okay thats not really positive for a jrpg... but I felt I had to mention it. Well i'm too drunk right now and I wanna enjoy watching LOTOR so that's all I can list for you without thinking haha. But 20 bucks is a good deal for it.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    suneku said:
    "SmugDarkLoser said:
    "suneku said:
    "BiggerBomb said:

What's the main positives on Infinite Undiscovery (speaking generally)?"
    I personally liked the story... it's a pretty generic jrpg story so its up to you whether you enjoy generic jrpg stories or not. I didn't think the combat was as buggy as many have said, but it's still really easy  where I can see where it disappoints the fans. But I think it's mainly because of the action element, where I feel that japanese developers still haven't gotten the hang of it. It's short (20 hours for me to beat it)... okay thats not really positive for a jrpg... but I felt I had to mention it. Well i'm too drunk right now and I wanna enjoy watching LOTOR so that's all I can list for you without thinking haha. But 20 bucks is a good deal for it."

So essentially a solid but short rpg?  that's sort of what I thought.

And yes, I enjoy generic stories as long as they're well presented.  I said I liked Blue Dragon's story afterall.
    Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

pause422 said:
    "

don't like them."
    I agree with that outlook, for the most part. I enjoy the occasional JRPG.
    I could go into more detail about specific ones but I guess I could save time by generalizing and stating that they tend to have bad voice acting, cookie cutter stories, and all too familiar battles. Now I'm not the guy who makes a big deal about voice acting but good voices acting can enhance a story and bad voice acting can hurt it a little bit. If your a Japanese developer and you want a western audience to take your games seriously you're going to have to get some voice actors that don't suck. That being said some games don't have to have a serious story to be good, it just helps the overall experience.
    I can't stand main characters that are children, teenagers, or pretty boys with spiked hair. I know it's a personal prejudice that I've had and I know I shouldn't judge games based on cosmetic issues.
    I had my fill of turn based combat in the 90s. Super Mario RPG, Secret of Evermore, and Chrono Trigger all had their own unique combat systems (granted Secret of Evermore was real time). If a game is going to have turn based combat it had better do something unique with it.
    If I want the standard Japanese RPG experience I'll play Final Fantasy VII. When I want to play a JRPG that isn't following Final Fantasy's template I'll play those games, so far JRPGs that are on the Xbox 360 haven't done that, yet.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

JRPGs = 

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By suneku

wow didn't think anyone though JRPGs were a sport.... now even I think that's taking it too far

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    Cowman said:
    "pause422 said:
    "

don't like them."
    I agree with that outlook, for the most part. I enjoy the occasional JRPG.
    I could go into more detail about specific ones but I guess I could save time by generalizing and stating that they tend to have bad voice acting, cookie cutter stories, and all too familiar battles. Now I'm not the guy who makes a big deal about voice acting but good voices acting can enhance a story and bad voice acting can hurt it a little bit. If your a Japanese developer and you want a western audience to take your games seriously you're going to have to get some voice actors that don't suck. That being said some games don't have to have a serious story to be good, it just helps the overall experience.
    I can't stand main characters that are children, teenagers, or pretty boys with spiked hair. I know it's a personal prejudice that I've had and I know I shouldn't judge games based on cosmetic issues.
    I had my fill of turn based combat in the 90s. Super Mario RPG, Secret of Evermore, and Chrono Trigger all had their own unique combat systems (granted Secret of Evermore was real time). If a game is going to have turn based combat it had better do something unique with it.
    If I want the standard Japanese RPG experience I'll play Final Fantasy VII. When I want to play a JRPG that isn't following Final Fantasy's template I'll play those games, so far JRPGs that are on the Xbox 360 haven't done that, yet."
    Tackling the voice acting.

Seriously, no.  Most modern jrpgs have more than fine voice acting.  Why exactly do we hold JRPGs to an even higher standard?  Because seriously, these are the same guys voicing jrpgs as most other genres.  Lost Odyssey was primarily a cast of pixar voice actors. 

What's wrong with this exactly?: (lost odyssey spoiler)

OKay, to be fair, that was said to have damn good voice acting.  A contrast, said to be poor in voice acting:

My friend, it really is a thing of the past with those games having bad voice acting. 
    This is what they meant:

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pweidman

Just finished LO, and it was my first 'jrpg'.  It was amazing imo.  Opened my mind up to the genre, and I was so appreciative of how polished and glitch-free the game was considering the size(huge).  Good story and intriguing gameplay w/plenty  of strategy and challenge, and a great story imo.  Currently enjoying TLR as well btw.  JRPG's have a place in my library now for sure...gratefully so.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Black_Rose

The few hours i played of Eternal Sonata were fantastic. I didn't enjoy Blue Dragon though, not one bit.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
    suneku said:
    "wow didn't think anyone though JRPGs were a sport.... now even I think that's taking it too far"
    ............you're a son of a bitch for turning that around like that.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    pweidman said:
    "Just finished LO, and it was my first 'jrpg'.  It was amazing imo.  Opened my mind up to the genre, and I was so appreciative of how polished and glitch-free the game was considering the size(huge).  Good story and intriguing gameplay w/plenty  of strategy and challenge, and a great story imo.  Currently enjoying TLR as well btw.  JRPG's have a place in my library now for sure...gratefully so."
    Lost Odyssey isn't exactly super polished in the jrpg world.  The animation was kind of wonky at times (running in particular).  JRPGs can be much more polished.  You'll see come Final Fantasy 13. 

Not to be bashing Lost Odyssey though, it is a damn good game and is still pretty polished. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187

JRPGs are the same boring movie over and over again.

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By ColMustard
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By suneku
    jakob187 said:
    "JRPGs are the same boring movie over and over again."
    .........like James Bond movies?/??? sorry I don't know how good a come back that was which is why I put it in a question
    ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ColMustard
    suneku said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "JRPGs are the same boring movie over and over again."
    .........like James Bond movies?/??? sorry I don't know how good a come back that was which is why I put it in a question"

pretty much... I'd say thats right on the head.  Amnesia... spike hair... twins magic casting... AirShip... Bad Guy isn't really the baddest guy... you win... repeat for 20 years...
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By suneku

holy shit wat kind of james bond movie are you watching cuz i'd like to check that out

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Xbox 360 is the best platform for RPG games , simple as that

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Bear

I have really been enjoying Tales of Vesperia. Easily my favorite JRPG on the current-gen systems. Too bad Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World didn't turn out as well as Vesperia did.

coolof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By coolof

I'm not a big fan of JRPGs, I've really tried to like Final Fantasy for instance but it never sucks me in long enough. I think they're a little too slow.

However, I did play through and loved Eternal Sonata. The combat system was  interactive enough, the story childish and cute and the graphics are absolutally amazing. Also, it's not as long as most of the other JRPGs that I've tried. This might be a bad thing for hardcore fans but 24-30h was just the right length for me. I guess it was about the same time (or a little less) that I grew tired of Final Fintasy X.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Meowayne

I am very suprised at how good the Xbox360 fares when it comes to JRPGs. In fact, if you're a fan of JRPGs, it's actually better to own a 360 than a PS3 - Who'd have thought? 
    Lost Odyssey in particular is just absolutely awesome, if you can stand the awkward story and storytelling (Every single one of the Dreams is a more cleverly thought up and executed piece of storytelling than the entire main story of the game) and some, erm, ridiculous design choices for the female cast.

I am a bit upset about Final Fantasy XIII coming to the 360, though. For three reasons:

1. TWEWY aside, Square hasn't produced anything worth mentioning since Enix took over, and Final Fantasy XIII looks just like your next Big Budget title that sacrifices everything just to have a pretty engine
    2. By going multiplat, the game will most probably take longer to come out, and be less polished (for those who are looking forward to it)
    3. Mistwalker will have a hard time now that SquareEnix is serving the X360.

Think of the genre what you will, but after the library desaster that was the first Xbox, I think it's very impressive and commendable what Microsoft did in order to have such genres as JRPGs present (and present in a pleasant way) on the console.

Am off to play Lost Odyssey now. As a person who likes the occasional grind, the 360's ability to replace the game's music by you own, streamed from the Laptop, is pretty awesome. :D

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BiggerBomb
    suneku said:
    "BiggerBomb said:

You're fun.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pweidman
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "pweidman said:
    "Just finished LO, and it was my first 'jrpg'.  It was amazing imo.  Opened my mind up to the genre, and I was so appreciative of how polished and glitch-free the game was considering the size(huge).  Good story and intriguing gameplay w/plenty  of strategy and challenge, and a great story imo.  Currently enjoying TLR as well btw.  JRPG's have a place in my library now for sure...gratefully so."
    Lost Odyssey isn't exactly super polished in the jrpg world.  The animation was kind of wonky at times (running in particular).  JRPGs can be much more polished.  You'll see come Final Fantasy 13. 

Not to be bashing Lost Odyssey though, it is a damn good game and is still pretty polished. "

LO seemed so polished to me because all I've played is wrpgs, like ME, Oblivion, the KOTORs, Fallout 3,etc..., and comparing to those it was pretty flawless in terms of bugs or glitches(I encounterd none).  But yeah I look forward to FF13, and hope it's all that it's hyped to be.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By ZenaxPure

Funny, I am actually playing Enchanted Arms as I type this now... anyhow my own thoughts on those games:

Enchanted Arms: Its fun, some of the voice acting really makes me cringe at times which is quite a shame too since for the most part the characters actually have some depth to them. Atsuma is turning out to be a better main character than I originally figured he would - I feel really bad for the guy. My biggest problem with the game so far is the REALLY bland environments. Also even as someone opposed to random battles I actually think EA has a nice pace, I never feel like I am being forced to do to many fights. Also it has Makoto.

Tales of Vesperia: Only played the demo, but I liked what I played. The game seems like a Tales game to me so I can't wait to pick it up. My only problem is it seems like it is going to be a hard game, the "boss" of the demo completely destroyed me when I played the demo.

Blue Dragon: Well I know some of us went over this one just like a few days again, and once again I will say I can not stand the game. The graphics and art style annoy me, the story is bland. It is the only actual Japanese developed RPG out of all of these that actually fits that terrible stereotype of "JRPGs"

Lost Odyssey: Production values are some of the best I have ever seen. Still have not dug very deep into that game I am really trying to wait until I get a real HD TV (as using a 19 inch non wide-screen LCD monitor is an annoyance on the 360) to play through it.

Eternal Sonata: Another one I have only played the demo of, I am actually hoping the demo does not do the game justice though because I found the battles to be so boring. There was no depth there at all, it just got my turn and I would spam the attack button until the enemy died. Really let me down since that was the number one game I was looking forward to on the 360.

Infinite Undiscovery I have sitting on my shelf right now, I will probably get into that after I finish up a few more games. So I can not say to much about that. Same with Last Remnant, I don't own the game so I don't know what to except, I will probably get it soon enough though.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Meowayne

Aw. Gotta love Lost Odyssey.

*continues training to become a god*

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Shadow

so far, I've played through Enchanted Arms and Tales of Vesperia.  Next up, Star Ocean 4.  I'm really not interested in the other ones.

Bodycount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bodycount

i've played vesperia, eternal sonata, LO, and IU. I'll rate them on a scale of 1-10.

Gonna get the last remnant soon.

You gotta get tales if you don't have it already. It's hands down the best RPG on the 360. Tales of vesperia is easily reccomendable, great game and in my opinion worthy of a 9+ score.

LO - good. Second best JRPG this gen behind ToV. Solid 8.0+ game

Eternal sonata - Enjoyable, great graphics, DREADFUL dialogue and annoying characters. Still worthy of atleast a 7.5-8.0.

IU - Here we are, scraping the bottom of the barrell. This game is quite simply, BAD.  No VA's through cutscenes, bland and ugly looking, button mashing combat consist of the same 2 buttons over and over through the whole course of the game. Just a very bland RPG. 6.0 at the most.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By vidiot

JRPG's are RPG's. They have been since there inception and have similar history as "Western" RPG's, as both sub-genre's came from tabletop experiences. While the way they approach narrative may be different they are still strongly stat-based, use dice-rolls and modifiers, and both have character development through stats. No matter what way you cut it, they're still RPG's. I personally don't value one sub genre over the other, I think they both have their strengths and weaknesses. But to claim that JRPG's are not RPG's is terribly ignorant.

*ahem*

Enchanted Arms: Haven't played this. Was this not the first "current"-gen JRPG?
    Blue Dragon: Haven't played this either. I've heard conflicting impressions regarding this game. Saw it the other day for roughly $10, might pick it up.
    Eternal Sonata: This was a game that impressed me when I began playing it. Not so much after finishing it.
    (Notice this is my opinion, I know a lot of people who like this game. I totally respect that. Do not let the fact that I did not enjoy it as much as you do ,make you feel any bit different...You are not me!)
    It felt like a spectacular miss, a great concept trampled by one of the most convoluted plots I had ever witnessed. I felt no attachment to anyone, partly due to the terrible English VO and the awkward localization that I guess tried it's best with what they had. The final act of just plain weirdness was a death scene that has to be one of the longest, unintentionally hilarious scenes ever. This random character, whom I had previously met for about ten seconds, took at least ten minutes to die... In which she told her life story...and dramatically winced in pain.. My own verbal dialog while watching it consisted of the following: "Is she dead yet?...No?...Wait, she moved across the room? She's still talking? She sent a note via carrier pigeon? Why isn't she calling for help? What the hell? Oh now she's dead...wait...nope...false alarm...wait...yup...She's dead....No...Wait..."
    The ending really tripped me up, I've watched the thing multiple times and I still don't understand it. The saving grace to this game was it's excellent combat system and fantastic musical score. Aside from that, nothing much. They're are longer, better RPG's out there, a rental before purchase.
    Lost Odyssey: One of the best games to be had on the 360. It's essentially a Final Fantasy game, which works for it and against it. Install those disks one at a time on you're 360, while you play and the loading times (the only thing I got really annoyed by.) are supposed to be cut literally in half. Great localization, if Jansen is not in a sequel to this game it will be a crime against humanity.

I'm staying away from Square-Enix's 360 experiments, until some patches are released or fixed ports on the PS3 are made...ugh

I'm playing through Tales of Vesperia right now. I bought it with the idea it would tide me over to Fallout 3.

I'm a couple quests away from beating Fallout 3. Not near the end at all with Vesperia :P Yikes this is one long game :P

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Meowayne
    vidiot said:
    Lost Odyssey: One of the best games to be had on the 360. It's essentially a Final Fantasy game, which works for it and against it. Install those disks one at a time on you're 360, while you play and the loading times (the only thing I got really annoyed by.) are supposed to be cut literally in half.
    This is BS, spread by a person who has a review copy. A review copy installed gets you loading times cut in half - making them just as long as the normal DVD loading times from a retail copy. A retail copy installed to HDD cuts the loading times by about 1-3 seconds each. Not much, but significant if you consider the amount of "Loading..." screens per hour.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By atejas

Lost Odyssey is, sadly, the only one I've played.
    Only other ones that interest me are ToV and FFXIII, and both of those are next year(nice work there, Namco Bandai)
    Lost Odyssey is awesome. Fucking awesome.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shadow
    vidiot said:
    "JRPG's are RPG's. They have been since there inception and have similar history as "Western" RPG's, as both sub-genre's came from tabletop experiences. While the way they approach narrative may be different they are still strongly stat-based, use dice-rolls and modifiers, and both have character development through stats. No matter what way you cut it, they're still RPG's. I personally don't value one sub genre over the other, I think they both have their strengths and weaknesses. But to claim that JRPG's are not RPG's is terribly ignorant.

*ahem*

Enchanted Arms: Haven't played this. Was this not the first "current"-gen JRPG?
    Blue Dragon: Haven't played this either. I've heard conflicting impressions regarding this game. Saw it the other day for roughly $10, might pick it up.
    Eternal Sonata: This was a game that impressed me when I began playing it. Not so much after finishing it.
    (Notice this is my opinion, I know a lot of people who like this game. I totally respect that. Do not let the fact that I did not enjoy it as much as you do ,make you feel any bit different...You are not me!)
    It felt like a spectacular miss, a great concept trampled by one of the most convoluted plots I had ever witnessed. I felt no attachment to anyone, partly due to the terrible English VO and the awkward localization that I guess tried it's best with what they had. The final act of just plain weirdness was a death scene that has to be one of the longest, unintentionally hilarious scenes ever. This random character, whom I had previously met for about ten seconds, took at least ten minutes to die... In which she told her life story...and dramatically winced in pain.. My own verbal dialog while watching it consisted of the following: "Is she dead yet?...No?...Wait, she moved across the room? She's still talking? She sent a note via carrier pigeon? Why isn't she calling for help? What the hell? Oh now she's dead...wait...nope...false alarm...wait...yup...She's dead....No...Wait..."
    The ending really tripped me up, I've watched the thing multiple times and I still don't understand it. The saving grace to this game was it's excellent combat system and fantastic musical score. Aside from that, nothing much. They're are longer, better RPG's out there, a rental before purchase.
    Lost Odyssey: One of the best games to be had on the 360. It's essentially a Final Fantasy game, which works for it and against it. Install those disks one at a time on you're 360, while you play and the loading times (the only thing I got really annoyed by.) are supposed to be cut literally in half. Great localization, if Jansen is not in a sequel to this game it will be a crime against humanity.

I'm staying away from Square-Enix's 360 experiments, until some patches are released or fixed ports on the PS3 are made...ugh

I'm playing through Tales of Vesperia right now. I bought it with the idea it would tide me over to Fallout 3.

I'm a couple quests away from beating Fallout 3. Not near the end at all with Vesperia :P Yikes this is one long game :P"

Enchanted Arms gives you the full 1,000 just for the main quest, it's combat is turn-based, random encounters, but still changes it up enough to be good (character placement is like a chess match), and it has a great story....if you change the dialoge to japanese....I can't stress that enough...worst. english. voice. acting. ever.
    bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bekern

Blue Dragon-I really liked this game :). I only got to the endish of disc two but that's because I was renting it-I'm putting it on my Christmas this year so I can finally finish it! Alright well first of all I really like the way this game looks, I haven't gotten sick of the dragonball artstyle yet and it looks great in a next gen game. Some of the environments were just your standard RPG feilds/caves/forests but there are some interesting places, and one in particular that I can think of that's seriously AWESOME (people who've played this probably know what I'm talking about). The battle system was pretty fun too, nothing too special but I enjoyed it. It's been awhile since I last played but from what I remember the story was kinda cute. I don't think it's meant to be taken that seriously, and I've heard that it's a lot more charming in the original Japenese translation, but it's not that bad to me. Something I remember a lot of people were complaining about was the voice acting though, especially that mouse guy, and I agree that guy was freaking annoying as all hell, but the kids were okay. So yeah I pretty much agree with the OP, it doesn't do anything really new, but what it does it does well.

Eternal Sonata- I played up to chapter four then got sick of it. The beginning was enjoyable but I got kinda of bored with the battle system as it went on and the story seriously got ridiculous. An absolutely GORGEOUS game though-basically what kept me playing was how pretty everything was, it's all very colorful and I love the cartoony characters. Well all of them except for the model of the girl-while she was cute, she just had like these crazy long forearms which just looked so awkward in all her animations lol. Just the way she held her arms annoyed the crap out of me. But yeah the battle system was fun to me at first, but in the end it all basically comes down to mash X then hit Y. The shadow/light thing did make it slightly more interesting though, a lot of the time I'd need to run to shadow or to light spots because my attacks were stronger there. The story though.. ugh man I can't handle that stuff. The voice acting was all so freaking annoying and the dialog was so bad. Seriously watch this scene starting at about 3 minutes in. It just keeps going on and on ughhhh. **warning this video contains extreme spoilers**
    EDIT-LMAO I just read Vidiot's post, this is that scene and exactly how he explains it is how I felt when watching it. She takes so feaking long to die and she keeps just talking and talking. Unfortunatly I just noticed that this video cuts this scene off but you can probably guess how the rest of it plays out.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By DJ_Lae

I haven't played Last Remnant yet - don't know if I want to, really.

Blue Dragon - Fun game, easy, lighthearted, silly. Yeah, the bad guy is about as threatening as a wet piece of toilet paper and Marumaru needs to have something sharp driven through his skull, but it's fun enough, decently paced, and battles go by very fast. Some of the enemies are adorable, too, like the bear dude who falls asleep mid-battle and digs a little furrow in the ground with his head as he collapses.

Eternal Sonata - Holy fuck is this game patronizing. The story is told in the most insulting manner possible - Blue Dragon's story may be sub-Saturday-morning-cartoon quality but at least it doesn't ram plot points home three or four times within the span of two minutes. The battles are alright, but the characters are terrible and the art design (while clean) is pretty bad. I couldn't play more than five or six hours of this game.

Lost Odyssey - Played up to the end of the second disc, where I threw in the towel after realizing the next save point was a ridiculously long way away. I'll go back to it eventually, as it's one of the better 360 JRPGs, both in plot and characters. The battles aren't so hot, though, and the two kids suck.

Tales of Vesperia - easily the best 360 JRPG at the moment, although I'm still not a big fan of the real-time battles. There's a crazy difficulty spike five or six hours into the game, too, which is completely unnecessary and very out of place compared to everything else.

Infinite Undiscovery - I played more of this than Eternal Sonata (about 15 hours) but I have no problem saying that Infinite Undiscovery is shit. The characters are terrible, the story is generic beyond all measure, and the battle system gets really fucking boring. Doesn't help that accessing other character moves takes half a dozen button presses and the menu to do so doesn't pause anything. Plus, Capell is one of the worst leads in any videogame released in the past two years. Don't play this game.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By ZenaxPure
    Shadow said:
    "Enchanted Arms... worst. english. voice. acting. ever."
    Man, yea some of that stuff is bad. Atsuma is a great character but gah his voice actor is terrible. Makoto though, I think he alone is worth listening to in English. I quite like Raigar and Toya, and Karin is decent. Atsuma and Yuki though ughhhhh the voices are painful to listen to.
    Avatar image for capncloudchaser
    CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By CapnCloudchaser

The only one on that list I have played and completed was Lost Odyssey, and I loved every moment of that game.

I like a good mixture of JRPG and western RPG's. Personally, I find a lot more depth, story and characterisation within JRPG's, and with some exceptions, JRPG's last longer. The major exception there I can think of is The Elder Scrolls series which sucked me in for hours, but Mass Effect, as amazing as it was, just did not feel deep or long and left me feeling rather disappointed. Every now and then I love just playing a JRPG through, especially a traditional one like Lost Odyssey with turn based battles and a bit of grinding. Don't think I could handle that all the time though, need to be in the right mood ;)

I played the demo for Eternal Sonata and really liked what I played, but I have yet to actually acquire a copy. Lately I've been obsessed with Fable 2, and will soon be moving on to Fallout 3, but after that I think I'll be in a perfect mood for a JRPG and unless there is anything new out that grabs my attention, I'll catch up with older JRPG's like Eternal Sonata.

Does Phantasy Star Universe count as a JRPG? I played that to death online, totalling over 700 hours. The offline story was pretty rubbish though.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vidiot
    Meowayne said:
    "vidiot said:
    Lost Odyssey: One of the best games to be had on the 360. It's essentially a Final Fantasy game, which works for it and against it. Install those disks one at a time on you're 360, while you play and the loading times (the only thing I got really annoyed by.) are supposed to be cut literally in half.
    This is BS, spread by a person who has a review copy. A review copy installed gets you loading times cut in half - making them just as long as the normal DVD loading times from a retail copy. A retail copy installed to HDD cuts the loading times by about 1-3 seconds each. Not much, but significant if you consider the amount of "Loading..." screens per hour.

"
    That's upsetting. Thats right! The initial review copies for Lost Odyssey loaded considerably longer compared to the actual store product. In fact GameSpots review was initially taken down for a bit because of this. I looked up this video on youtube , which is now host to a torrent of comments arguing against it. Oh well, I'm going to experiment later and install Disk 4 and see how that fares.

While it's still upsetting: You should still get Lost Odyssey.

berken: Yeah. That scene was pretty bad. Happy to know I wasn't the only one who thought that. Crap I forgot she had flashbacks with verbal explanation. You can resurrect her later in the secret dungeon, but none of it is voiced and it seems like an afterthought.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By vidiot
    Shadow said:
    Enchanted Arms gives you the full 1,000 just for the main quest, it's combat is turn-based, random encounters, but still changes it up enough to be good (character placement is like a chess match), and it has a great story....if you change the dialoge to japanese....I can't stress that enough...worst. english. voice. acting. ever."
    A full 1000 for simply getting through the main quest?
    mmmm....achievements...

I might check this out. :P
    Newd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Newd

So far I've only played Tales of Vesperia which was okay. The fighting really annoyed me which was probably the biggest reason why I didn't enjoy it. I feel like I didn't give it enough time though. I'll get around to renting it again some time soon.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By LackLuster

Blue Dragon good? no just no..... Eternal Sonata was better in every single way

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    Well you can at least admit that Blue Dragon was at a very high quality and if you're into the core concept, you'd love it.
    If you still can't, how about it's music is some of the best this generation?   I really do think if the core review sites gave this a high score everyone would be all over this, even if it were the same exact game.  Same with Lost Odyssey.
    I think there's a reason why while some sites gave both games somewhat low scores, there were quite a few rated very high (computer and video games for example)

LackLuster said:

So do you really think Eternal Sonata had more depth?  Better graphics?  Better music?  Better story?
    If you said yes to those, while I'm not going to say "nu-uh" I'm going to say that you have a very abnormal opinion. 
    "Blue Dragon good? no just no..... Eternal Sonata was better in every single way"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.