Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Game Pass

Concept »

A subscription service from Microsoft on Xbox platforms and Windows 10. Described as "Netflix for video games", users pay a monthly fee to gain access to a range of titles or buy to own them at a discount price.

Game Pass Games Availability Length

cubbielover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am thinking of getting a XB in the future, but there is one thing I can seem to find out about Game Pass; and that is how long the games are available on the service (non-microsoft owned IP that is). On PS Now, Red Dead Redemption II is a July game, and it says it is available until November 1st. Is that the length for some of the Game Pass games (3 months?), or does it vary?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

It varies and they don't give any indication until a month before it is going to be removed. I don't know about on consoles, but on PC it gives you a list of games that are set to be removed in the game pass app (and the date).

Example:

No Caption Provided

Jam13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For PC I think it's usually a year, (all three titles leaving soon came onto the service a year ago by a quick Google) but as already said it varies. The biggest titles don't hang around as long, presumably because they are more expensive to get onto the service for long stretches. RDR2 was only on Xbox Gamepass for 4 months (so the same as the current PS Now offering) and hasn't made it to PC Gamepass at all.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

It varies and they don't give any indication until a month before it is going to be removed. I don't know about on consoles, but on PC it gives you a list of games that are set to be removed in the game pass app (and the date).

I'm pretty sure there's an equivalent spot on the console, but you can also check the Game Pass mobile app, which I personally prefer to do.

Personally, it feels to me like most Game Pass games I want to play are on the service for more than enough time to get what I want out of it. Some short-lived blockbusters that leave sooner, like Read Dead Redemption 2, can be exceptions.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just going to repeat what others have said. it varies. Seems like most indie games get somewhere around a year. Bigger games are usually more like 6 months. And they really don't give you much heads up, at least in the console app that I use, when something's leaving. I just recent found out that Cross Code was leaving, only left with a what seemed like maybe a week and a half to finish, which was not enough time for me to do that. I guess that's sort of on me though, since that game was on there for quite a while, I just never got around to it.

Reptil3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

No Caption Provided

There's great stats about Gamepass on Xboxera

Stats above are from April'21. Majority of 2+yo are probably 1st party games (and now EA Play)

donutello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It is typically one year. Even for big games. Red Dead Redemption 2 is exception because you know... Rockstar. But lately I'm noticing some 3rd party games staying even longer, for example Outer Wilds was on game pass 2 years i'm 100% sure. Cities Skylines came back very quickly. And then you have scenarios like Mudrunner leaved game pass and after a few months Snowrunner came in.

You can check gamepasscounter website, it's basically database with all the info. Something like steamdb but for gamepass if that makes sense.

donutello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@reptil3: That whole article is amazing, damn. Thank you for sharing

master_prophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 11

Generally speaking it’s a year, with 6 months being a close second. It’s extremely rare to see a game on the service just the 1 to 3 month mark.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.