Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Game Pass

Concept »

A subscription service from Microsoft on Xbox platforms and Windows 10. Described as "Netflix for video games", users pay a monthly fee to gain access to a range of titles or buy to own them at a discount price.

Would you still subscribe if you had to pay full price? (Game Pass)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Would you still subscribe if you had to pay full price? (Game Pass) (158 votes)

Absolutely 22%
    Probably? 11%
    I doubt it 6%
    No 8%
    I'd go month to month, dip in and out for certain games. 16%
    I'm currently paying full price and happy with it. 23%
    I'm currently paying full price and thinking about dropping it. 1%
    I've not signed up for GP and have no plans to (and I own a gaming PC and/or an Xbox) 8%
    Poll 4%

A bit of a tricky question cuz the quality of these kinds of services can be up and down. Let's assume the quality stays more or less the same where it is now and the price points stay the same as well.

• 
    Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I’m not quite following this, full price for..?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have no idea what you are implying when you say "full price?" Do you mean would I pay for Game Pass after the discounted first month? If so, I already am and so are most of the people on Game Pass.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

@zombiepie: The 1st time you sign up for GP, it converts your XBL Gold sub to GP at a 1 to 1 ratio. Meaning if you had 1 year of XBL Gold and sign up for GP for $1, you'll have a year and a month of GP for a $1. You can do this up to 3 years. So if you sign up for 3 years of XBL Gold, which can be had for $150, before the 1st time you sign up for GP, you'll have 3 years of GPU for $151. This can still be done to this day. There has also been 3 month deals for a $1 and PC GP was just $5 for a period before it became $10 like the console GP. How do you know most ppl are paying the regular rate atm?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean I didn't even know anything about that, but I didn't have Gold. The only discounted price I've ever had for Game Pass was that month or whatever of 1 dollar ultimate.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

How do you know most ppl are paying the regular rate atm?

First, a portion of Game Pass Users are on PC and an Xbox Gold ratio that allows console owners to save some money is irrelevant to them. Additionally, there are 18 million Game Pass users but over 100 million Xbox Gold users. It is safe to assume that a large portion of Xbox Gold users are not even aware of the "discount" you are suggesting. And yes, it is worth mentioning Gold is available in more countries than Game Pass.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also not quite sure what "full price" here means? Like the normal sub price? cause I've been happily paying that since the free or discount trial (whatever it was) ran out. It's still an amazing value and only seems to be getting better.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

@zombiepie: It's not irrelevant tho cuz the $1 deal is for GP Ultimate, it's worth it for PC only users as well. And this trick is not some secret, it's spelled out when you sign up. It's safe to assume a lot of ppl that currently have GP are not paying the regular rate.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By brian_

I never did the whole convert Gold into Game Pass thing, but I've been racking up enough Microsoft reward points to just redeem them for three months worth of Game Pass before my membership ever expires. I don't know if I'd actually pay the subscription fee if I had to. Most of what I play on there are $20 indie games. I feel like I'd just buy those games outright if I didn't have Game Pass, and maybe pick up a month of Game Pass when a new Gears game, or some other theoretically $60-70 Microsoft exclusive that I'd care about, comes out.

EDIT: So after saying I probably wouldn't pay for Game Pass, I just bought a year of PS Now, mostly because it comes with a $15 Playstation store credit. There's absolutely nothing on there I want to play, outside of some PS3 games I already own, but haven't finished. But I guess it's worth it to not have to turn on my PS3 to play them?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_: Yeah, this is another avenue to not pay the regular rate.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I understood you meant the conversion deal they offered early on but I get that it can be confusing. I am currently paying full price because I wasn't sure how good the service was going to be so I didn't like buy out 3 years of Gold and then convert it to Game Pass. That said - yah I still think it's worth it. Although things have been slowing down for me now that I've caught up with most games I wanted to play, I still do find a lot of stuff on Game Pass that I can just jump into, try, and then if it doesn't grab me ditch guilt free. Earlier today I loaded up Doom 3 just to check it out since last time I played it was at release like 100 years ago and my computer wasn't up to spec. I can proudly say, it's a really bad game. For a shooter it feels awful, and for a Doom game double so. But thats the best part - I played for about an hour and then uninstalled and no hard feelings.

So yah, I would pay full price and I am paying full price at the moment.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I think I paid $5 for the first three months on PC, and currently pay $10/month. Well worth it to me.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I'll be dropping it when my cheapo conversion expires at the end of next month.

It's a great service if you have the time and interest in the games they offer, but just doesn't fit into my life very well right now.

quasiconundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By quasiconundrum

Been paying full price ($10/mo) on PC for over a year now (after the $1/$5 introductory rates). Absolutely worth it, and the value just keeps getting better as they continue to add games to the library.

And yeah, it's a little weird to assume that people aren't paying full price for it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By liquiddragon

@quasiconundrum: I am not assuming this. I put options for ppl paying at the regular rate. The poll/thread is targeted towards ppl that are not paying at the regular rate but I didn't exclude or not consider ppl that are.

plinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been paying full price for a while now and I'm happy with it. I think they're gonna raise it eventually though. I don't really understand how they make a profit off of this and I feel like the more games they add, the less profit they make but I don't actually know because I have no clue how it works on the business side. I'm unsure if I would continue paying for it if it did go up too high. That would be a more difficult question for me.

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 16 months left. Gamepass is only going to get better. If I was running out of course I'd extend. But not monthly. I rather pay in bulk and they usually come in small discounts. I got UGP for 12 months for 100 bucks during Amazon sale last Christmas

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@plinko: they'll raise it by a dollar here and there. No big deal. Especially now with bethesda deal. 1 dollar a year or two years. UGP might be 20 bucks by the end of the gen. I'm totally fine with that. Thunk of the library it will have by then.

That's why it's good to stack up now.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18 gtxforza  Online

For me, I personally choose not to subscribe to Game Pass as I prefer to buy games more.

The same goes for what if PlayStation and Nintendo have their game subscription service equivalent to Xbox's Game Pass, I will choose not to subscribe to them as well.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PC offerings are not as good as Xbox. So, I won't pay the exact amount and find myself with a worse service.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im happily paying full price.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Yeah I didn't understand what full price was either.
    That said, I would pay the full price for gamepass for sure.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this could have easily just been phrased "Do you think Game pass is worth 14.99 a month, yes or no?"

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza:

I do both. I cannot afford to buy every game out there. It's why I rarely buy full 60 dollar games anymore and when I do I sell them especially switch games that retain value.

I understand the notion of buying games and I do to. Especially physical but you have that option. There's rumors of a persona 5 royal coming to gamepass now if that's true. I'm buying day 1. Gamepasa or not. Starfield? I'll probably buy day 1. Gamepass or not. Physical of course.

Gamepass isn't to get you to play the absolute must haves. It's to get you to play the games you might not have wanted to pay for and then maybe pay for in the future.

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giant_gamer:

Pc offering will never be as good but still offers a strong worthwhile lineup. Especially if you have UGP.

Ms don't own pcs. They can't put the exact same games on xbox and pc. Especially for 3rd parties. Steam epic store contracts and stores make sure of that.

Also 3rd parties won't just allow their games to be on gamepass Pc right away like they would for xbox. They want that steam money.

But If you look at Pc gamepass standalone. It's still incredible. Especially now with ea pass.

But xbox one will need to be better as ms are trying to shift more consoles and its easier to make deals because ms 100% own the Xbox platform. Ms cannot put steam games on gamepass. They have to have some sort of windows store version of a game.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25 gtxforza  Online

@haz_kaj said:

@gtxforza:

I do both. I cannot afford to buy every game out there. It's why I rarely buy full 60 dollar games anymore and when I do I sell them especially switch games that retain value.

I understand the notion of buying games and I do to. Especially physical but you have that option. There's rumors of a persona 5 royal coming to gamepass now if that's true. I'm buying day 1. Gamepasa or not. Starfield? I'll probably buy day 1. Gamepass or not. Physical of course.

Gamepass isn't to get you to play the absolute must haves. It's to get you to play the games you might not have wanted to pay for and then maybe pay for in the future.

Okay I see, I'm just a casual gamer after all.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game Pass Ultimate has joined Spotify and Netflix as baseline costs in my monthly budget, although I’ll definitely grab the three month card discounts whenever they pop up. My gaming spend year on year has gone down significantly since I first signed up for GP back in 2017. It’s basically a no brainer for me, although admittedly a big part of that is me owning a Series X, One X, and PC, all of which I use regularly.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By apewins

I got the 1 month for 1 EUR deal and then 3 months at a discount when buying the Series S. It's running out later this month and I'm not planning on continuing it. And I have to say I have been very confused about this ongoing "best deal in gaming" discussion. My problem since becoming an adult has never been a lack of games to play, it's the lack of time to play them.

I can see Game Pass being a great deal to someone completely new to gaming who owns no games. But if you're been around a while, you probably got a pretty decent library after all the big sales, giveaways and free-to-plays. And when you buy games, you get the exact games you want, and you won't be limited to the Game Pass library which I found pretty limited after a few heavy-hitters (and a bit artificially inflated, like really, do we need FIFA 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 in there?). I found myself feeling a bit guilty for playing games that I own, while my subscription was being unused.

Let me ask you all a question, how many games are there in Game Pass that are both a) great, and b) new? My count to that is zero, possibly Spiritfarer would qualify. And I know Halo Infinite will be there when it launches, but even then it's just one game and Bethesda doesn't have anything new coming out for a while. So either you play new games that are bad (Battletoads) or old games that are great (The Witcher 3) which you could have picked up from a sale for less than $10.

Game Pass is great for playing short, experimental games, with typically less than 10 hour campaigns (sometimes less than 5 hours) and little replay value. I have played through A Plague Tale, What Remains of Edith Finch, Untitled Goose Game, Carrion for example. But you'll run out of games like these faster than new ones can come out, and at least for me they won't fill my full gaming appetite. There's no Assassin's Creed or Far Cry or any Ubisoft game really, no Call of Duty, no GTA or Red Dead, no NBA, no Hitman, no Devil May Cry... I think if you are solely relying on Game Pass then you are missing out on a whole lot of amazing games.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apewins: the great games and new games thing is a little unfair considering the circumstances. But I have played games I consider to be great that are both new and old and things I would not have purchased, so if that becomes its niche, no complaints here. I would have never played the first 3 Yakuza games (including 0 there), or Pillars of Eternity 2. Of course all of these are old, but I think it seems oddly dismissive to act like that isn't a good thing. There are too many games out there and I don't think anyone serious, here at least, is saying "welp, just get game pass and you never need to buy a game again".

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By navster15

@apewins: NBA 2K21 is on Game Pass, along with the latest Madden, FIFA, and NHL games. DMC, GTA/Red Dead, and Hitman have all been on the service in the past, with discounts as they were leaving to own them for cheap. As for Ubisoft and Call of Duty, I tired out on those franchises a decade ago, but sure, those are missing from the service.

But hey, if it doesn’t work for you that’s fine. But for “new” and “great” titles, the likes of Gears Tactics, Destiny Beyond Light, The Medium, and soon enough Outriders, are all examples of games that keep me subscribed.

Avatar image for senorsucks2suck
    senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By senorsucks2suck

@brian_: people that spend any amount of time earning Microsoft reward points sadden me. It’s like honeybooboo’s mom and her coupon clipping. In her mind she think she’s winning at life. By all other metrics.. no sir. People can’t seem to fathom the question. Will you pay the $9.99 or $14.99 for gamepass if something that happened in the past no longer happens in the future ($1 conversions, step uncle gives you codes, you work 100 hours a week in farming/mining for reward points doesn’t count.). Me, I would not spend the $120-$200 ask for gamepass. My backlog is in the 100s and I haven’t begun to explore games for multiple play throughs. Another Dead Space series play through would be great and I would rather pay $100+ for Mr Mosquito on ps2 than a glut of games. But I’ll enjoy the games til everything expires in October 2021. PlayStations “play at home initiative” with Uncharted and Ratchet and soon Horizon and other games means I don’t even need ps plus. I’ve already got a backlog there too.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In any event now that I understand what the question is a little better I say it's absollutely worth full price. In truth, and keep it a secret, I'd say it's at LEAST another price hike away before I would begin to gainsay it all that much at all.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@senorsucks2suck: I'm going to guess you've spent far more time and energy knowing something about Honeybooboo, in order to clown on someone on the internet, than I do in the couple of minutes it takes to check my rewards app for the day.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been paying "full price" for Ultimate for about a year now (after a year at the £1 conversion).

I tend to buy 3 or 6 month codes when I find them a bit cheaper, so tend to pay around £10 per month.

I also share it with my son's Xbox.

Totally worth it.

Avatar image for senorsucks2suck
    senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

@brian_: @brian_: the onslaught of advertising and targeted marketing that you relinquish by your own hand must mean you never have an issue deciding what to eat, buy, or think. You’re better than 1/10th of a cent for a minute of your time. Aren’t you?? #winning

HeinzHarald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the 24 month interest free Series X + GPU. So I'm paying full price. If the price stays the same I'll probably continue paying. I try a lot of games and finish fairly few anyway, so it makes sense for me. Thanks to GPU I've definitely avoided buying several games that I would've bought otherwise, some of which bored me quickly.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: I'm not disparaging old games in any way, but my point is that you can usually buy older games for very cheap. And if you're buying games whilst also subscribing to Game Pass, it frequently puts you in a position where you pay for the service even when you're not using it.

Game Pass costs $180 a year. If you were to spend that money up front, you can buy quite a lot of games on sale, you can buy exactly the games you want, and they are yours to keep forever (well, as long as the servers are up).

But I guess it all comes down to how much time you spend playing. If you're in college or unemployed and can frequently play 10 hours a day, then it's an amazing deal. As someone who plays maybe 5-10 hours per week (and not all the games that I play are on Game Pass, probably half my game time goes on Apex Legends every month), it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@navster15: Okay, looks like they just added NBA 2K21. But all of these annual sports games you can buy for dirt cheap when the new version is getting close to release. As for the games you listed, I haven't played all of them but looking at the reviews, none of those are what I would consider great games. Outriders obviously isn't out yet but nothing about that game has looked promising to me.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Absolutely. Though when my current "paid up through 2022" period ends, I'll probably trim some other subscription services.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At some point I'd consider it but right now it's a bad deal for me.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apewins: I wonder how many games you'd be able to get with that 180$ versus what's available and being added to the catalog. I kind of doubt you'd really come out that far ahead.

But I'm not committing to an entire year guaranteed anyway so it doesn't matter? If it was an annual pass then I would totally have a lot more troubling things to say about it.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wardcleaver

@apewins said:

@sethmode: I'm not disparaging old games in any way, but my point is that you can usually buy older games for very cheap. And if you're buying games whilst also subscribing to Game Pass, it frequently puts you in a position where you pay for the service even when you're not using it.

Game Pass costs $180 a year. If you were to spend that money up front, you can buy quite a lot of games on sale, you can buy exactly the games you want, and they are yours to keep forever (well, as long as the servers are up).

But I guess it all comes down to how much time you spend playing. If you're in college or unemployed and can frequently play 10 hours a day, then it's an amazing deal. As someone who plays maybe 5-10 hours per week (and not all the games that I play are on Game Pass, probably half my game time goes on Apex Legends every month), it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Even at $180 a year, GP is still mitigating the risk of buying a game and not liking it. If I like something and want to keep it forever, I can still do that. Well worth it.

Also, I am employed full time and it is still an amazing deal.

I agree though; if you are only into a few select genres or mostly free-to-play games , GP isn't for you.

mipeha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I am not sure.

I am subscribed until september of this year. Took advantage of the very good offer of basically free game pass for the duration of your Xbox Live Gold membership that also happened to be on sale when Game Pass was introduced.

But I don't think I will extend my subscription when the time comes. I haven't been playing that many games for that many hours. I know the selection is vast and that is has potentially a lot of hours of entertainment. Considering the few games I have played so far from the GB catalogue, I don't think it will be a very good value proposition at full price.

I will give GB that I wouldn't have played Battlechasers Night War had it not been for GB. For that I am eternally grateful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.