Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Game Pass

Concept »

A subscription service from Microsoft on Xbox platforms and Windows 10. Described as "Netflix for video games", users pay a monthly fee to gain access to a range of titles or buy to own them at a discount price.

Xbox Game Pass Announced for PC

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BradBrains

Microsoft Link

No Caption Provided

Not surprising Microsoft has announced game pass for PC including several partners with more coming at E3.

Xbox Game Pass for PC will give players unlimited access to a curated library of over 100 high-quality PC games on Windows 10, from well-known PC game developers and publishers such as Bethesda, Deep Silver, Devolver Digital, Paradox Interactive, SEGA, and more. And just as we committed on the console, it is our intent to include new games from Xbox Game Studios in Xbox Game Pass for PC the same day as their global release, including titles from newly acquired studios like Obsidian and inXile. We’re working with over 75 developers and publishers to bring PC content to the service and we’ll ensure the library remains curated and full of great PC titles across a variety of genres, with new games added every month.

Xbox Game Pass for PC members will also receive discounts in the Microsoft Store on Windows of up to 20% on games currently in the library and up to 10% off related game DLC and add-ons.

Though like humble have things like this and others have tired before, I think this feels like of the first ones that has a chance of getting my attention. I don't think id re-buy Halo again for PC but I could see myself paying 10 bucks or so every once and a while to play a few games.

Is this going to change things or do you think in the world of GOG and steam sales this matters

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jesus_Phish

The more interesting part is further down in the press release they mention that they're going to start releasing more games on Steam. They already announced Halo, but they've confirmed that Gears 5 will go to Steam as well.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think that I would probably sign up to a PC game pass, as a person without an Xbox One or PS4, access to a few more publisher specific exclusives from this generation to fill in the gaps would be nice.

I already have a Humble Bundle monthly thing ongoing but unless there was a massive overlap on titles I see them being quite different services. If anything, the Humble subscription just helps with not spending the same amount if not more per year in one fell swoop in the Steam sales.

Getting a bit of Halo back in my life for a bit might be worthwhile as would be more access to some of the back catalogue. We finally unplugged the 360 from the TV last year and if game pass gave me access to a few of those exclusives on PC it would be a no brainer for me to pick up a subscription.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if they really go full force with game pass PC it makes getting a PS5 the much easier choice.Microsoft has said lately they mostly don't care as long as you play their games and I hope that's true.

I just build a PC so It would be nice to have a service with new games I could play it on without having to spend 80 a title.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• I don't think i could play enough games fast enough to make paying a subscription worth while.
    • I'd be missing out on all the features i use on Steam.
    • Currently non of the games i'm playing are even available on the MS Store, though i assume more are going to be announced along with this.
    • Despite only having to use the MS Store for Gears and Forza, my experience with it has been a f***ing nightmare.

I'm sure it makes more sense for someone other than me, i'm just not sure who that person is.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Any word if it’s gonna be the same subscription as the console or you’re going to have to pay both subscriptions if you want both?

I play most of my games on consoles but there’s a few I’d rather use my PC for. It’s nice having some bonuses like Forza being on PC from subscribing to gamepass, but I won’t do two gaming subscriptions for sure.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm in this almost certainly for Forza at the very least. If the PC versions of Halo are great too, awesome.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

I can only hope this will be part of the existing Gamepass. It would be kind of a bummer if you had to buy a separate subscription for console and PC because otherwise this is an amazing deal for Gamepass owners. Plenty of times I'm sitting here thinking "do I want to play this on console or PC? Is this a title where I value framerate over the comfort of playing on my big tv?" It would be great to now have an option to fire up Sekiro on PC if I don't like the performance on console.

It took them a while, but Microsoft is really stepping up their game at the end of the generation while Sony seems to be in a rut. Ultimately it's about the game, and Sony most certainly has way more and better exclusives.. but the services side is really lacking.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fear_the_booboo@humanity: I assume it will be. Currently all the exclusive titles in game pass(sea of thieves, gears, etc) are playable on both PC and Xbox via the current subscription.

This actually makes me wonder what the difference will be, I assume it is just getting the deals in place to allow the PC versions of the games in current game pass to be put into the microsoft store.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@fear_the_booboo@humanity: I assume it will be. Currently all the exclusive titles in game pass(sea of thieves, gears, etc) are playable on both PC and Xbox via the current subscription.

This actually makes me wonder what the difference will be, I assume it is just getting the deals in place to allow the PC versions of the games in current game pass to be put into the microsoft store.

I think they're also adding PC games into the mix, EG all the Age of Empires games based on the article I read.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: Oh really, hm, that would be cool/interesting. Kudos to them for doing the leg work to get all these deals going. Though I'm sure it's easier than before, but convincing publishers to "give away" their games vs selling them the conventional way can't be the easiest thing in the world.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I've been looking forward to this for a while now. I'll try it out, at least, especially if the first few months are offered at a discount.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think I'm already subscribed to this? Opening the service up to 3rd parties is great though as a PC player without a console I'm mostly in it for the "exclusives" that I'd otherwise miss.

DocH1X1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad Sams confirmed this would be included in Game Pass Ultimate for 15/month.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this is the third time I've heard about this being "introduced".

Meanwhile I've already had it long enough to play my fill of FH4 and uninstall it. It was like 3 months for $1.

Or is this something different from the existing program just with a similar name (technically, the thing I've paid for does not have "for PC" on it, but I'm using it on my PC...)?

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Um... I thought I've had GamePass for PC since Sea of Thieves was launched. If it wasn't, it might as well have been.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Bollard

I'm in this almost certainly for Forza at the very least. If the PC versions of Halo are great too, awesome.

Not to be a bummer but I believe it's been confirmed that the MCC on PC won't be in Game Pass. Halo Infinite could very well be though!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: Doesn't make sense as I was signed up for Gamepass last year and played a goodly chunk of Forza on PC.

I'm sure the internet will chime in to tell me I'm wrong/delusional.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:
    • I don't think i could play enough games fast enough to make paying a subscription worth while.

This is the problem for me. I've been subscribed to Game Pass a couple of months on and off, and it just doesn't work with how I want to play. Knowing I'm paying that monthly fee I flip around between a bunch of games without really committing to anything. If I pay full price for a single game, I tend to actually finish it.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By handlas

@frytup said:
    @cikame said:

This is the problem for me. I've been subscribed to Game Pass a couple of months on and off, and it just doesn't work with how I want to play. Knowing I'm paying that monthly fee I flip around between a bunch of games without really committing to anything. If I pay full price for a single game, I tend to actually finish it.

This is me as well. I jump around games on Game Pass too much and never get far; makes me not get invested. Also the fact that they remove games. I've subscribed a couple of times. I did it this month to play Void Bastards and try a few other games. But it seems off-putting to know... what if I'm in the middle of a game and they remove it from Game Pass? Then you just gotta buy it i guess if you wanna finish it.

Kinda just use it as like a rental thing. I mean, I'm sure I spent more money than 15 bucks a month renting games as a kid.

besighyawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is combined with the existing console game pass and if the library is great and lots of publishers get on board, it'd be hard for me to pass up. Another dream feature for me would be if their upcoming cloud streaming service was just combined so I could either download or stream when I want (download if I'm at home, stream if I'm at a friend's house and don't want to use up his all his bandwidth)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.