Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Game Studios

Company »

Also known as "Microsoft Games", "Microsoft Game Studios", and "Microsoft Studios", Xbox Game Studios is a primary subsidiary of the Microsoft Gaming division and handles publishing of their studios' games (including the Halo, Forza, and Gears of War series).

Xbox Games 2024 Showcase Trailer Thread (i.e., This Has Everything) - The Showcase Was Good, But Was This Enough?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff  Online

Call of Duty: Black Ops 6

• What is it? - It's the new Call of Duty! This trailer was meant to provide more story context about what this entry in the Call of Duty franchise will entail and was an early lead-in to Microsoft's dedicated hour with Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 which took place after the Xbox Showcase.
    • Day One Game Pass Confirmed: Yes
    • Release Date - October 25th, 2024

Doom: The Dark Ages

• What is it? - The new Doom games but with a medieval and fantasy twist! Did you see the gun that crushes skulls into ammo? That shit is METAL! Otherwise, it looks like the game has a mix of new and old enemies while also playing with the thumping metal music that made the previous two games a blast. Though, relations between id and Mick Gordon still seem sour.
    • Release Date - 2025

State of Decay 3

• What is it? - The third State of Decay game got another cinematic story trailer. I kind of agree with Dan in saying I like the concept of the State of Decay games, but don't actually enjoy playing them. Worth noting, the first trailer for this game was way back in 2020, which makes it slightly worrying that the trailer did not indicate a release date.
    • Day One Game Pass Confirmed: The previous games are on Game Pass, but this was not indicated in the trailer.
    • Release Date - None Indicated

Dragon Age: The Veilguard

• What is it? - So, long story short, Dragon Age: Dreadwolf is now Dragon Age: The Veilguard. The game seems to be more about a merry band of heroes coalescing around a veiled avatar meant to represent your player character, than fighting back a massive looming evil. Reports prior to this trailer seem to suggest that the story has been completely rewritten and Solas might not even be a major factor anymore. Likewise, considering how long it has been in development, it's simply absurd that they did not show any in-game footage of what this game looks like in action.

• Day One Game Pass Confirmed: No
    • Release Date - 2024

Starfield's First Expansion: Shattered Space

• What is it? -Starfield is finally getting a true "expansion pack" that seems to be adding a new horror-themes storyline to the game. A smaller update that is in the trailer and already playable is the addition of bounties and a bounty hunter-like questline.
    • Day One Game Pass Confirmed: Yes, and some of the new content is already playable via Game Pass.
    • Release Date - 2024

Fallout 76 Expansion: Skyline Valley

• What is it? - Fallout 76 is getting a new expansion pack that unofficially is meant to act as a gimmie to those playing the game after watching the TV series. The new Skyline Valley expansion has you taking control of a ghoul character as they explore a new mountainous region of Fallout 76, which the trailer says is the first major map expansion in the game.
    • Day One Game Pass Confirmed: Yes, and the whole game is playable on Game Pass as well and has been for ages.
    • Release Date - June 1th, 2024

Clair Obscur: Expedition 33

• What is it? - A post-apocalyptic game wherein you play as the last remnants of humanity trying to stop "the Paintress" before they can completely destroy all of humanity. The game is a turn-based RPG and is the first game from developer Sandfall Interactive.
    • Day One Game Pass Confirmed: Not confirmed
    • Release Date - 2025

South of Midnight

• What is it? - A third-person action game with a stop-motion-inspired art style similar to the animated Spider-Man movies of recent. It takes place in an incredibly fanciful rendition of Louisiana after a hurricane and comes from developer Compulsion Games, last credited for We Happy Few.
    • Release Date: 2025

World of Warcarft: The War Within

• What is it? - It is the latest expansion pack for the legendary MMORPG, World of Warcraft. To longtime fans of WoW, this expansion pack marks the return of Chris Metzen as the creative lead behind WoW. Metzen has since gone on to clarify that this is the first part of a trilogy of story-focused expansions. To express a point Tamoor indicated during the watchalong, it really seems like someone at Blizzard should figure out how to make a console version of WoW at this point.
    • Release Date: August 26, 2024

Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater

• What is it? - It is a shot-for-shot remake of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. For those of you that recall the trailer for the original game, this trailer was designed to be a shot-for-shot remake as well, which makes this one of the most clever and creative trailers I have seen in a while. Overall, the game looks amazing, but with no release date indicated, it's hard to get too excited.
    • Release Date: None Indicated

Sea of Thieves: Season 13

• What is it? - Goodness, talk about one of the most effective turnarounds in the modern history of video games short of Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn. Sea of Thieves is heading into its 13th season and this trailer showcases some of the quests and themes to be expected out of that.
    • Day One Game Pass Confirmed: Yes; the whole game has been on Game Pass for ages as well.
    • Release Date: July 25th, 2024

Flintlock: Siege of Dawn

• What is it? - A game from the creators of Ashen. It's a soulslike with a great emphasis on flintlock guns, hence the title, as well as explosions. You play as Nor Vanek, who is a member of a coalition of humans attempting to defeat a pantheon of gods that wish to kill all of humanity.
    • Release Date - July 18th, 2024

Age of Mythology: Retold

• What is it? - It's a remake of Age of Mythology from the current Age of Empires team at World's Edge. Similar to World's Edge's work on AOE IV, it blends cartoony 3D graphics with a few modern stylings. There will also be a console port simultaneously to the game's PC release.
    • Release Date - September 4th, 2024

Perfect Dark

• What is it? - Hey, it's the Perfect Dark reboot everyone thought was either dead or in the process of being rebuilt from the ground up. This game comes from The Initiative and Crystal Dynamics and is a first-person stealth shooter. The game looks great and it was nice to see the demo showing that you can explore environments without needing to gun people down. There's some Hitman DNA in this game to say the least. Also, anyone who complains about mark and execute is a weirdo you should not make direct eye contact with.
    • Release Date - No release date indicated.

Diablo IV: Vessel of Hatred

• What is it? - It's an expansion to Diablo IV that continues the story where it left off. As has been the case forever, Blizzard's cinematic story trailers continue to be the best in the industry. The story seems to focus on Neyrelle on a quest to defeat the Prime Evils while still in possession of the Soulstone. There's even a brief tease about Neyrelle, but the point of this trailer is to indicate the expansion will be much more about the story and single-player side of things.
    • Day One Game Pass Confirmed: I was not able to find any confirmation. Probably not?
    • Release Date - October 8th, 2024

Fable

• What is it? - It's Playground Games' Fable title they have been working on for a while. The game apparently managed to recruit one of the producers of Baldur's Gate to join the development, but it has been described as a "learning process" by many insiders trying to explain why there's been so little about this game since its announcement. Nonetheless, the game seems to have the twee whimsy of the original games and to many that is enough.
    • Release Date - 2025

FragPunk

• What is it? - It's a 5 vs. 5 multiplayer shooter but with cards. The trailer shows how the cards can lead to power-up and weapon combinations that lead to your usual assortment of multiplayer roles as well as interesting hybrids.
    • Day One Game Pass Confirmed: Doesn't appear so. Unlike other trailers during this showcase, this was one of the few that didn't even mention Game Pass.
    • Release Date - 2025

Winter Burrow

• What is it? - It's a puzzle adventure survival game with a hand drawn-like art style meant. Using your mouse avatar, you need to survive wintery storms as you explore your surroundings. This appears to be the first title from developer Pine Creek Games.
    • Release Date - Q1 2025

Mixtape

• What is it? - A retro-like adventure game about three friends using mixtapes to relive memories while also creating new ones. It definitely has a fantasy vibe on par with Stranger Things but is far more cozy and nostalgic. Another game with a deliberately limited framerate graphical style. It comes from the same studio that made The Artful Escape.
    • Release Date - 2025

Microsoft Flight Simulator; Content Update

• What is it? This content update seems to focus on performing flight-based jobs such as crop dusting and delivering cargo. It also seems to have more dramatic jobs/tasks like being the primary actor in a search-and-rescue effort. Curious that there's no Boeing DLC for this game yet.
    • Release Date - November 18th, 2024

The Elder Scrolls Online: Gold Road Content Update

• What is it? - It's been a long road getting from here to there with The Elder Scrolls Online, but the game is now celebrating its 10th anniversary. Likewise, the game has also crossed the $2 billion mark in terms of overall revenue generated during its lifetime. As someone that does not play the game, all I can say is that it looks neat.
    • Day One Game Pass Confirmed: Unclear/Not Indicated; The rest of the game is on Game Pass, no idea if this will be available at launch on Game Pass or not.
    • Release Date - June 18th, 2024

Life is Strange: Double Exposure

• What is it? - So, Max Caulfield is back and this time investigating another murder mystery wherein someone important to her has died and she wants to prevent that from happening. Don't get me wrong, I like Max, but it is weird seeing her use her powers to try and re-write history considering the last time we saw her she swore she would never do that again. But hey, the story in this game will probably be compelling to follow.
    • Release Date - October 29th, 2024

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle

• What is it? - By far one of the more significant trailers and gameplay demos of the entire showcase. It shows off the premise of the story and a wide variety of other locations. As indicated in previous announcements, the game is played through the first-person when you are not interacting with parts of a level's environment like climbing a temple wall or trying to vault across a chasm.
    • Release Date - 2024

Mecha Break

• What is it? - It's a fast-paced mech multiplayer game. The mechs you control and create can transform and each transformation has a different proficiency or specialty in dealing with the types of problems or scenarios that crop up in multiplayer games.
    • Release Date - 2025 (Beta in August 2024)

Wuchang: Fallen Feathers

• What is it? - It's a soulslike set in a Wuxia-inspired version of the Ming Dynasty. It has a bunch of demonic enemies to defeat and the usual dodging and parrying-based combat mechanics. I'm sorry but I cannot stop thinking about Tamoor and Dan's pitch for a Wu-Tang Clan soulslike.
    • Release Date - 2025

Avowed

• What is it? - It's the latest action-RPG from Obsidian Entertainment. The game takes place in the same universe as the Pillars of Eternity games, and this trailer has a handful of references and characters that likely only make sense if you have played those games. Nonetheless, this first-person RPG reminds me of Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, but with far more fluid and fast-paced combat.
    • Release Date - 2024

Atomfall

• What is it? - It's a singe player survival game that takes place in a version of Great Britain following a nuclear disaster. Some have mockingly called this game "Fallout London" but this game has an abundantly more diverse color palette and considering it is coming from the makers of the Sniper Elite games, it likely controls different from the modern Fallout games.
    • Release Date - 2025

Assassin's Creed Shadows

• What is it? - It's the latest Assassin's Creed game and this one is set in feudal Japan, to be specific, the end of the Sengoku period. The game will have two playable characters, Naoe, a female shinobi, and Yasuke, an African samurai inspired by a historical figure of the same name. This game marks a slight comeback of Eagle Vision, but you are not able to see NPCs through walls. Also, Naoe is able to crawl in a prone position and there are tech/upgrade trees for every weapon in the game. Only time will tell if this game has the Ubisoft bloat to be expected of most Ubisoft open world games these days.
    • Release Date - November 15th, 2024

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl

• What is it? - Stalker 2 is a post-apocalyptic FPS game with survival and RPG elements. Stalker 2 is advertised as having a “huge, borderless open-world and a non-linear story.” This game has faced multiple delays due to its developer GSC Game World, being Ukrainian and it losing multiple members of its development team to Russia's invasion. Also, You are not a true Stalker fan until you get past the first hour of the first game with the head bob and starting pistol.
    • Release Date - September 5th, 2024

A New Family Of Xbox Hardware But They All Come Without A Disc Drive

What is it? - Microsoft briefly shared its console revisions before promising that there will be more to come from Xbox hardware in the future. There's now a new 2TB Xbox Series X and a 1TB Series X in white, but the white version does not come with a disc drive. The always discless Series S is getting 1TB of storage and Xbox promises that this version of the Series S will be able to "(use) Quick Resume, lightning-fast load times, and gameplay of up to 120 FPS." Whether that means the Series S will have new internals is anyone's guess.

The odd miss here is that the new discless Xbox Series X comes with less storage than the version of the new Xbox Series X that comes with one. The idea of using an Xbox console without a disc drive without at least 2 TB of storage sounds miserable, especially considering that your only expansion options are one of two types of expansion cards.

Day One Game Pass Confirmed: Do you think any of these will come with a coupon for something like three to four months of Game Pass?

Release Date - Later This Year

Gears of War: E-Day

• What is it? - It's a new Gears of War game! This game marks the return of some of your classic Gears of War characters as it throws things back to Emergence Day, the day in which the Locust Horde emerged from the underground caverns of the planet Sera and launched a full-scale attack on its inhabitants. Now, you might be apt to point out that this setting concept was the basis of Gears of War: Judgment, and you would be correct. However, with this game featuring the return of Marcus Fenix and Dominic Santiago, obviously, this game is a lot different from Judgment. Likewise, HUGE PROPS for giving us a dramatic rendition of Mad World. That's just great stuff.
    • Release Date - None indicated

Every Xbox Showcase Game With 2024 Release Date

• Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn - July 18, 2024
    • Age of Mythology Retold - Sep 4, 2024
    • STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl - September 5, 2024
    • Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 - October 25, 2024
    • Flight Simulator 2024 - November 19, 2024
    • Indiana Jones and the Great Circle - 2024
    • Avowed - 2024

What Were Your Thoughts? Also, Spencer And Company Are Goddamn Cowards

Overall, this was a good showcase. I would even go so far as to suggest this was one of the best showcases they have had in years. There was a diverse assortment of games with a little of everything represented. There were a few notable games that have no information about their release dates, which is a bit distressing, but in terms of calming people down that Xbox is throwing in the towel, I think this showcase at least temporarily calmed those concerns. Nonetheless, while I liked this event and the games shown here, I don't know if I feel inspired to buy an Xbox console.

That said, the decision by Microsoft to auto-ban users in their chat for saying "layoffs" or making any reference to the studio closures prior to this event is a horrible look for Spencer and Sarah Bond. With no one from Xbox even offering the slightest gestures that they are aware of the frustrations of people impacted by those studio closures, led by one of the most profitable corporations in the world, left an awful sour taste in my mouth. You cannot have raa raa moments during a television production of a press conference after laying off hundreds of people while plugging your ears and pretending nothing's wrong, and then also act surprised that people tried to bring these things up.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ben_H

That new Life is Strange game announcement blindsided me. I had no idea a new one of those was being released so quickly. As soon as the voice over in the trailer started up I immediately recognized it as Max's and then when they cut to showing the character I was surprised to see it was who I thought it might be (though I shouldn't be. Deck Nine isn't DONTNOD. DONTNOD said these characters were done but then Deck Nine doesn't follow that rule). It seems like they're leaning on the weird dimension hopping super power thingy that was in the comic series, which is fine.

In general though I'm down for another one of those games. True Colors was great. I'm kind of surprised they got Max's voice actress to come back because she never was a full-time voice actor, didn't really do any other voice acting after this character, and had moved on to other things. Of all the GB cinematic universe, only Vinny and Alex quickly picked up that it was the character from the first game.

Other than that, this conference seemed decent. It had a lot more stuff than Sony's did and had a breadth of different things rather than half the show being taken up by hero shooters. None of this gives them a pass for closing studios though obviously. It wasn't great seeing Matt Booty and Phil front and center in it given that those two's mismanagement of Xbox is what put them in this situation in the first place. I wasn't aware they had banned any mention of layoffs from their chat. That's not a great look but this is modern Microsoft, they don't seem to care about how they look. They only care about money.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Yeah... Life is Strange is a weird one. On top of the stuff going on at Deck Nine, I don't know how you could possibly justify Max using her powers again considering the ending I got. I never saw the other ending though. Is that one more amenable to future Max powers?

I have absolutely zero interest in any of Xbox's output going forward with their decision to ignore this problem until it goes away. Get bent.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ever since Microsoft stopped talking about TV and sports on their presentation (that is to say, the Phil Spencer era basically), I feel like they have done the same presentation every year, down to even the same franchises that keep appearing on them. It's pretty good usually but I'm also increasingly getting the feeling that they are deathly afraid of making a miscalculation that gets mocked online. It's getting stale.

So, I can just put here the same comments that I have put on every Microsoft presentation in the past decade or so. Lots of games. Too many franchises. Too many games that look alike. Annoying obfuscation about which games are exclusives and which ones aren't. Very little gameplay footage on most games. Announcing games that have barely started development that don't even have a release year (there's a decent chance some of these games will never come out). How many State of Decay 3 trailers have we seen without any apparent progress on the game?

Perfect Dark is clearly the biggest surprise here considering the recent news about very troubled development. It could be that those rumors have been incorrect since the game looks pretty good here, but I also wonder if there was tremendous pressure on them to put something out to counter the rumors and that the final game ends up looking nothing like this.

Also Phil Spencer is a coward and I really didn't want to see him bragging about what a great year this is for Xbox. If he knew how to read a room, he would have skipped this presentation and let his subordinates handle it.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ben_H
    @brian_ said:

Yeah... Life is Strange is a weird one. On top of the stuff going on at Deck Nine, I don't know how you could possibly justify Max using her powers again considering the ending I got. I never saw the other ending though. Is that one more amenable to future Max powers?

Kind of but not really? The premise of this game does seem kinda weird but also it sort of doesn't matter. These games are full of inconsistencies and plot holes where if you think about them hard enough, they unravel completely. Like in the first game the premise is that she has to go back in time to undo everything she changed if she wants to stop the tornado but the time she goes back to she had already changed several things and had messed with her power at that point. It's silly. Though in general, the main plot of these games tends to be the weakest part.

From what they showed and wrote of the game, she freaked out after finding her friend dead, tried to use the power but then it didn't work and instead opened a portal to a parallel timeline. I guess the most charitable interpretation is that in the first game she figured out that as long she didn't actually change anything, she could use the power safely, so maybe she just wanted see if rewinding would let her see what happened to her friend? I dunno.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ben_h: Yeah, I mean, I can wave away time traveling stuff not making sense. It never does. It just seems odd to do that for the emotional weight of the ending I got, and the consequences of messing with time, and in the exact same situation as last time. But hey, maybe I just chose the wrong ending. Maybe that town wasn't worth it after all.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm down for more Life is Strange and Mixtape looks cool. At this point with Fable, I'm just kinda shrugging my shoulders. I hope it turns out great but that series seems cursed as fuck after 2.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think Xbox consistently shows well- and this year was no different...the sheer quantity of creative teams under the Microsoft umbrella almost makes this a guarantee now. conversely if they have an 'off' year that's bad for Xbox AND "one of the top publishers on PlayStation." so uh, i'm glad games appear to be coming together!

that said i think i'm most interested in DOOM, South of Midnight, Winter Burrow, and Mixtape. the legacy Xbox stuff (Perfect Dark, Gears, Fable), despite having lived it in the 360 era, isn't doing much for me based on these trailers- but i'm certainly down for good versions of those with new ideas. and maybe Perfect Dark is just secret Deus Ex- so that could be good.

so yeah- very good ads/promises; here's hoping they stick the landings.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

1. I don't want to hear another goddamn word out of Phil Spencer's mouth until he takes meaningful accountability for his mismanagement of Xbox and the impact to the lives of people affected by it.

2. I'm disappointed that Gears is going back to the past instead of continuing the story of 5. If this had come out a couple of years after 5, I would understand, but it's been half a decade and there's no release date attached to this.

3. The Dragon Age trailer was ASS.

4. That being said, best of the showcases so far this spring, and I'm not sure it's a particularly close contest. But Xbox has had good showcases recently, and it's never led to great results.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthedinos: I think that #4 is what really matters here.

Who cares about the stupid showcase? Microsoft's games always show well and then they come out and half of them are Redfall (disasters) and half of them are Hellblade 2 or Starfield (either mediocre or divisive depending on your perspective.)

I'm not a gamer because I love well-made trailers. I'd rather watch an actual TV show or movie or even a cut scene in a game with a good story than a trailer.

Also I was extremely grossed out when Matt Booty started talking about how great the Xbox teams were and their creativity.

You know what was a great team? The team that made your last big critical hit, Hi-Fi Rush. How did being a great team and making a great and creative game work out for them? How was that rewarded? Let me tell you that 100% of developers would rather keep their jobs than be praised generically by Matt Booty during a showcase. I didn't do a survey but I am confident in my numbers.

I sound angry because I am. Some of these games will be good and I'll play some of them and enjoy them, and it's true that Microsoft isn't fundamentally different from other companies (it's not like Sony doesn't lay off developers who do good work; look at what they did to Japan Studio) but the sheer disconnect and the "this is fine" energy was huge this year.

Yes it was the best showcase of the year and there were some great trailers. Who cares? Put up or shut up.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching this showcase just made me miss E3. This was a prime example of what made that "week" so great.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3. The Dragon Age trailer was ASS.

yeah- i forgot to mention that in my original post- but that certainly looks like a game that changed it's subtitle from DREADWOLF to VEILGUARD.

if it reviews well i'll give the game a fair shake- but i think it just further underscores how much Larian's present success can at least be partially attributed to being New Bioware that continued to evolve and refine. whereas Bioware Actual really feels like a Thrasher shirt or something- to be invoked when legitimacy is required, but not meaningful beyond that.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13 GTxForza  Online

The Xbox Series X special edition looks so beautiful and I'm glad to hear Microsoft Flight Simulator gets a new update, I'm disappointed to hear Forza Horizon 6 was not announced in this showcase.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mellotronrules: Dragon Age looks like it could maybe be an okay game but it doesn't look very Dragon Agey. Was anybody hoping that they'd reinvent the franchise as a cartoonier light hearted romp? Bioware games have always had humor in them but...

Maybe they can pull off something akin to the recent D&D movie? That was a good film.

Larian and CD Projekt Red are arguably both the new Bioware. Obsidian is the new(ish) Bethesda.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reaction to the Dragon Age trailer, both here and elsewhere, has me very reminiscent of Wind Waker's reveal.

"It's too cartoony! It used to be dark! That doesn't look like Dragon Age!"

All of which is baffling to me as Dragon Age is a series that basically redesigns itself with every entry. It doesn't have a defined style.

We've known since basically it's announcement that this was going to be a magical heist story and this trailer is very clearing evoking that "We need to build a crew" style of trailer that heist movies love to do. It did a good job of revealing your new party members and it was fun. I liked it.

The real test will be what the game player reveal has to show us tomorrow. Which, if they haven't changed much since that leak a while back, could be REALLY rough. But until then I'll enjoy a little bit of optimism about a franchise I love that I've not had any of for a decade.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@creepingdeath0: I think I'm pretty clearly agnostic on whether this could be a good game or not (as I said, the D&D movie showed that you can do high fantasy comedy pretty well with the right balance) but I do understand why other people aren't excited by the change.

For one thing everyone wants the old Bioware back, and this clearly isn't that. For another, the only Dragon Age game that people all really loved was the first. The last two have been divisive for different reasons, so I think a lot of people want the series to get back to that original game (in line with a lot of what Larian has done since) and not just continue striking out in different directions.

This is especially true because modern Bioware has such a horrible track record. It's been a series of flops.

Now maybe they pull it off and it's a great, fun, lighthearted time, and that can be what Dragon Age is from now on or it can just be a universe and franchise name for different takes on fantasy. Yakuza became Like A Dragon and switched to turn based RPGs and that worked. Franchises can reinvent themselves.

But there's a certain element of "Hey we don't want to give you the old thing you liked, we're just going to keep you new stuff and using the old names, and so far the new stuff has been awful" that makes people understandably wary.

I don't think the trailer looked horrible so if the game is great I'll celebrate that. There's no reason not to give them the opportunity to prove that this was the right direction.

But I would have been more excited to see something that tied closer to the old games that were spectacular. More "From the studio that brought you Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect" and less "From the studio that brought you Mass Effect Andromeda and ANTHEM!"

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

The Xbox show was clearly the best one over the weekend. Way better than Sony's State of Play, and the boring main video game show. This was a show Microsoft needed to happen. Almost every game they showed was interesting. They finally showed what the new Perfect Dark and Fable looks like. Many of the games they announced will be coming to Game Pass day one. And they had a good Call of Duty 6 presentation. Seriously, if these games come out in a timely manner, and are good, Microsoft is right back in the race. Especially, since Sony is not releasing any more exclusives for the year, or so it seems.

With that said, I'm starting to think that Swan Song is the new Half Life 3 and Beyond Good & Evil 2. A game that keeps coming up every now again, but will never happen.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I looooved DA:O, liked and enjoyed DAII, and didn't bother with Inquisition. I just don't think Dragon Age is for me anymore and the latest trailer further solidified that.

Other than that, I thought Xbox killed it. There was so much to be hyped about. My two biggest are probably DOOM and South of Midnight. I'm hoping SoM starts getting more love in the next few weeks.

MechaBreak looked wild and I'm hoping it plays well?

I'm pretty tired of the open world shooter concept and what *I* want from a new Gears is just more Gears. Give me cool set piece levels.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h said:
    @brian_ said:

Kind of but not really? The premise of this game does seem kinda weird but also it sort of doesn't matter. These games are full of inconsistencies and plot holes where if you think about them hard enough, they unravel completely. Like in the first game the premise is that she has to go back in time to undo everything she changed if she wants to stop the tornado but the time she goes back to she had already changed several things and had messed with her power at that point. It's silly. Though in general, the main plot of these games tends to be the weakest part.

From what they showed and wrote of the game, she freaked out after finding her friend dead, tried to use the power but then it didn't work and instead opened a portal to a parallel timeline. I guess the most charitable interpretation is that in the first game she figured out that as long she didn't actually change anything, she could use the power safely, so maybe she just wanted see if rewinding would let her see what happened to her friend? I dunno.

Something, something, time travel. The thing that unsettled me was how the name Sophie really un-Americans Max's French voice actor. I can't unhear it now.

Mixtape bothers me. There's surely more to it but it feels like a blatant nostalgia bait. The cynic in me makes me wonder how shallow it'll end up being. Maybe I don't look back to my adolescence/young adulthood with that kind of fondness but marketing just loves to plunder that well.

I want Fable and Perfect Dark to cross the finish line in a decent shape. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting the latter to pivot in such a different direction. Meanwhile you've got the Snake Eater remake which is aiming to be faithful. It looks nice but I'm waiting for something special to really convince me to get it. I'm quite happy with the old version.

Dragon Age looks like it's chasing others rather than chasing themselves. We get enough Marvel writing from the Marvel games. I don't know what that tonal shift is likely to achieve when that tone is already prevalent.

Doom looks like the most sure fire thing, for me. I would like them to maybe step back from the combat puzzle overload of Eternal but I don't think that series can go in any other direction. I have to go with the flow on that. The shield is definitely looking to add more options in a fight.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The world is not enough - James Bond

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ben_H
    @shindig said:

Something, something, time travel. The thing that unsettled me was how the name Sophie really un-Americans Max's French voice actor. I can't unhear it now.

Max's voice actress is American. Her friend's name is Safi. This game is being made by a studio located Colarado. The French studio that made the first game hasn't had anything to do with this series for about 6 years now. The last game had much more natural sounding dialog than the first game.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh. That makes a lot a more sense. Silly me.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

Mixtape bothers me. There's surely more to it but it feels like a blatant nostalgia bait. The cynic in me makes me wonder how shallow it'll end up being. Maybe I don't look back to my adolescence/young adulthood with that kind of fondness but marketing just loves to plunder that well.

yeah, i'm interested in seeing how Mixtape shapes up but i relate to this criticism. i'm normally pretty skeptical of self-indulgent nostalgia, and it definitely feels like game more concerned with *~ViBeZ~* than being period-accurate. and maybe that's exactly what they're going for since there's a good amount of supernatural stuff in that trailer.

but the sea of anachronisms is distracting. they've combined John Hughes films (80s) with a discman (90s) with Devo (80s) next to the Smashing Pumpkins (90s) with the title of Mixtape (cassettes) with a titlecard evoking CD-Rs (late 90s).

again maybe it's all intentional, but i hope it isn't just a shortcut to emotionally manipulate people without having anything interesting to say.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they can pull off something akin to the recent D&D movie? That was a good film.

yeah, that's a fair point. it isn't what i would expect from a DA game- but then again i've only played Origins, so i don't have a ton of credibility in that regard. defo one to watch the reviews on.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but the sea of anachronisms is distracting. they've combined John Hughes films (80s) with a discman (90s) with Devo (80s) next to the Smashing Pumpkins (90s) with the title of Mixtape (cassettes) with a titlecard evoking CD-Rs (late 90s).

Well, when you lay it out like that that does kinda bother me now. On the flip side, they could be aiming for a mid-late 90's feel. It's not like John Hughes movies and Devo disappeared when it became 1991.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will say the presentation looked pretty strong and I may keep my PC Game Pass sub active for more than a couple months now. More opportunities to vote for Bluey for the Game Pass Game Club amiright @bigsocrates?

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always down for more Life is Strange, and I was pretty excited to see Max again.

Expedition 33 went from "this looks kinda cool" to "holy shit" as soon as they showed what kind of game it was. Who ever decided western studios weren't allowed to make big-budget JRPGs anyway.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chamurai: Technically you don't need a Game Pass subscription to vote for Bluey in the poll just like you don't need a driver's license to commit grand theft auto.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cikame

I'll just work my way through the list with notes.

I'm actually kind of interested in Black Ops 6, the last one i played was MW2 but was disappointed so i was taking a break, i opted to continue playing MW1 instead of picking up Cold War which had a mixed reception so i don't know what's going on in the story, but i'm sure that doesn't matter, the 90's setting should bring the classic guns back instead of the polymer arsenal we've been stuck with for a while, and they're talking about 3 lane maps so my dumb ass is interested again.

I was burned by Doom Eternal's "lots of combat mechanics but only one correct way to play" design, hopefully the new mix will give more agency to the player, there were lots of grey rocks in the trailer hopefully there's more variety to the visuals.

I hate how Dragon Age looks, i've never properly played a Dragon Age game i tried the 2nd but didn't like it, Inquisition looked weird, this looks weird, i feel like i should just play Origins.

Clair Obscur: Expedition 33, is a bad name, is Clair Obscur a franchise? I looked it up and only saw mention of a movie about Turkish sexism... Anyway, the game looks awesome, totally didn't expect to see flashy JRPG style combat in the show, i'm kind of tired of these apocalypse adjacent stories of doom and gloom but there's a bit more going on here i think, the walking segments didn't look very engaging in the trailer, got my fingers crossed.

South of Midnight looks like a solid £20 game, i don't know if the stop motion style is working here, it looks fine but then gameplay kicks in and everything is 60fps except the characters so it feels like there's a disconnect in the gameplay, but otherwise it looks fine. I have a friend who lives in Louisiana so i told him about the game and he said "oh yeah this place is great after hurricanes man, debris everywhere, mosquitoes out the asshole, possible death and destruction and looters. it's awesome", so making a whimsical game about it is a choice.

Metal Gear Delta.... hmmm... ok, hardcore MGS fan here so naturally i'm hyper protective of these games, but i can't really be that upset by it because it's not really a remake as much as a high level remaster, the story and performances are all intact though i'm wondering if Hayter recorded new lines, i'm worried we're losing the original performance but we'll see, the good: CQC looks to be expanded or at least has cool new animations which are great, stealth in the jungle was always awkward with how stiff the mechanics were so a new moveset is welcome, environmental detail looks great, the bad: faces, i don't know, the original game had an art style and these more realistic faces look weird to me, it's like putting a cartoon character into a realism AI art filter.

No Caption Provided

Levels are identical but we don't know if they're still connected by loading screens or not, i'm assuming they are.

Perfect Dark is hard to judge because i feel like what they showed wasn't representative of what the final game will be, compared to previous games the level felt claustrophobic and extremely linear to support the Mirror's Edge parkour, the shooting didn't look too great in the presentation, Perfect Dark had melee to support the stealth and disarming people but the John Wick stuff makes me worried about where the focus of the game is, Joanna's voice is great, face not so much.

Flight Simulator continues to look as good as 2020 but i'm worried the missions/jobs they're adding will be a pretty secluded part of the game, instead of a career or having some kind of a progression they'll probably just be things you can select on a menu, i just hope the engine is better optimised than 2020's.

Mecha Break looks amazing but when i found out it's multiplayer i was a bit sad, reminded me of Strike Vector but i want a single player big explosive mech game.

It's cool the Sniper Elite devs are doing something different, Atomfall could be cool.

Gears of War: E-Day removes the thing i liked the least about the last couple of Gears games and that's the Gear kids, i didn't like the Gears kids, finding an excuse to have a Fenix lead game again is alright by me, i'm guessing the game ends with him going to prison.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:

Clair Obscur: Expedition 33, is a bad name, is Clair Obscur a franchise? I looked it up and only saw mention of a movie about Turkish sexism... Anyway, the game looks awesome, totally didn't expect to see flashy JRPG style combat in the show, i'm kind of tired of these apocalypse adjacent stories of doom and gloom but there's a bit more going on here i think, the walking segments didn't look very engaging in the trailer, got my fingers crossed.

Had a similar realization about the walking segments after I stepped back a bit. It was a lot of cutscenes and combat and very little exploring the world. Wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be a flashy but limited 10-20 hour experience. Still cool, but just tempering my expectations. Then again, it's still a ways off from release, so there could be a lot that's not ready to show.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

For what it's worth, multiple outlets (at least VGC and GamesBeat) have said that the Dragon Age: The Veilguard demo relieved all fears that the trailer created. So stop me if you've heard this before, but something showcased in the Xbox presentation was a poor representation of the product.

Sidenote: I'm just referring to this game as DA:V going forward, I absolutely hate the "The" in its title.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthedinos: The 20 minute video of that demo they put out definitely portrays the game in a much better light than that trailer. Especially the tone, which seems pretty in line with the previous entries in the series and nothing like whatever that trailer was trying to do.

That trailer was truly a baffling unforced error by whatever marketing team put that together. Even the visuals and art in that trailer somehow look worse than the actual game despite it apparently being an in engine trailer.

I get that they were likely to trying to appeal to a wider audience with that trailer, but having that be the game's big introduction after all these years just created an unnecessarily bad first impression, especially considering they had this pretty good gameplay demo ready to be shown.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheRealTurk

That presentation was the proverbial "mixed bag" for me:

Doom: The Dark Ages - Hard for me to get excited for this seeing as I did not like Eternal at all. Also, they already made this game. It's called Hexen.

Avowed - I love both Pillars of Eternity games to death, but what I've seen of Avowed isn't doing it for me. I don't think the art style is doing it any favors and the combat looks really . . . maybe slow is the word? Something's off about it to me. It looks stiff and not very fun or engaging.

Dragon Age: Veilguard - I'm really hoping this is a case of "marketing didn't understand the franchise and made a shitty trailer" rather than "BioWare didn't understand the franchise and made a shitty game." Unfortunately, I don't think that studio really gets the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Edit: It's both. Just saw the gameplay trailer and . . . hoo boy. How not to make a Dragon Age game. They've managed to take the franchise from a tactical RPG to a generic-as-fuck action game in record time. This does not look the least bit interesting.

Stalker: Heart of Chornobyl - Very excited to see how this one turns out. The original was one of those very ambitious and very janky games that had a ton of charm if you could get past how hostile the entire experience could be.

Metal Gear Solid Triangle Symbol - MGS3 was one of those games I just never played, so I might be tempted to give this one a shot since I've heard it was one of the better ones.

Assassin's Creed Shadows - I'm not falling for it again. I'm not. Ubisoft can try all they want to talk about how this AC game will be different, but dollars to donuts it'll be another tired icon-vomit game because that's all Ubisoft knows how to make. It also doesn't help that they were obviously going for some Ghost of Tsushima vibes in that trailer, but that just serves to remind me how much better that game was than modern AC.

Indiana Jones and the Lens of Nostalgia Great Circle - I don't know why Troy Baker is getting so much stick for his Indy voice. He got close enough that at first I thought they'd pulled some AI shenanigans, so he must be doing something right. In any event, it's got artifacts, the theme, and punching Nazis, so I'll probably play it.

Fable - I'm getting strong "the devs still don't know what this game is" vibes from this one. Are they reinventing the franchise or not? Some of that trailer says yes, some of it says no, and I think they need to pick a lane.

Perfect Dark - I will play this. I never played the originals and people can't stop talking about them as classics, so I suppose I need to see what all the fuss is about.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: Uhh...buddy. I would not say that people can't stop talking about the original games (plural) as classics. I would say that the Perfect Dark series has one game that was incredibly well designed but a technical mess on its original platform (it was fixed for Xbox 360) and one game that was one of the biggest disappointments I can remember and completely rejected by the fanbase that loved the first.

That is what we call in the business a mixed track record. And this new game doesn't seem to have much in common with either other than story ties and being an FPS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.