Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live Indie Games

Concept »

An official line of downloadable games for the Xbox 360 that were developed, peer-reviewed, and self-published by a community of indie developers using Microsoft's XNA framework.

Mid-Week Blog: Let's Trial Some Indie Games (Part 1)

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

So, this week I decided to spend a little of my spare time trialling a few Xbox LIVE Indie Games and noting down my impressions of them. I’ve never wished to discredit the work of aspiring, young developers out there, especially not as I’m currently studying video games programming myself, but I’ve felt like on the whole the quality of the stuff on Xbox LIVE Indie hasn’t been all that... Well, good. On my venture through the depths of the Xbox LIVE Marketplace I hoped that some of the games I found would help prove me wrong. The rules I set myself were that I could only play the trial of each game once, up until the trial time for it expired. I also tried to pick a fairly random handful of Indie games for the sake of fairness. So, without further ado, here’s my quick review of the first four of the eight games I tried out.

Zombie Accountant

This game is proof of how a simple concept can sometimes be the best concept.
    Thematically this game is exactly what you’d expect; in fact I couldn’t help but be reminded a little of Jonathon Coulton’s ‘ Re: Your Brains’ while playing. Gameplay is very simple, the stage continually scrolls from right to left and you must use the A button to jump over objects in your path and the X button to duck while making your way past office workers. As you continue to jump over the objects blocking your path your speed will increase, but you can slow yourself down by deliberately running into one of the obstacles on the ground. There are also loose documents scattered along your path which you can collect to raise your score and eventually level up.

I didn’t feel like there was much incentive to keep moving at high speed as you only lose lives when you run into an office worker. If you stay slow it’s easier to collect documents, dodge office workers, and there’s no easily discernible penalty for doing it. Overall I feel like Zombie Accountant is a solid game though; it has fairly competent graphics, it keeps itself simple, and the levelling component genuinely made me consider jumping back into the trial for more.

Ubergridder

Ubergridder is a top-down action game where you control a vehicle which can only move along the lines of a fixed grid. As your vehicle moves along the lines it leaves a trail behind it, and should you be able to paint your trail around the entire border of the various rectangles on the grid, those rectangles will be filled in. The goal in each level is to fill in all the rectangles on the grid while avoiding the enemies, although enemies can be stopped temporarily through the use of traps you can drop on the track. In fact this game is pretty much Amidar.

The game has a rather sci-fi art style and in general looks good. I felt a bit restricted by only being able to move along the lines, and holding the control stick in one direction, in anticipation of reaching a point on the grid where you could change your direction felt somewhat janky, but perhaps these are more personal gripes than anything. Unfortunately I encountered somewhat of a game-breaking bug multiple times while playing. Occasionally I’d appear to highlight all the way around the sides of a rectangle but it wouldn’t be filled in until I moved back over one of the corners of it. For the price it’s sold for some might be able to get a certain amount of enjoyment out of Ubergridder, but I’d rather just download Game Room and buy myself a copy of Amidar.

Break Limit

Death to the green blocks!
    Break Limit is a top-down sci-fi shoot ‘em up, not unlike Galaga. However, Break Limit favours having a large quantity of collectables on screen at all times to help you rack up your score. Stages also feature bright blue orbs that you can collect to increase your ‘limit meter’. When you use your limit meter you will start moving at a high speed, destroying everything in your path without taking any damage. The levels themselves also feature branching paths and multiple routes for players to take.

I felt like Break Limit had a lot of potential and I really wanted to like it, but I felt there were also a lot of issues that added up to mean that Break Limit couldn’t be everything it should’ve been. Firstly, the shooting mechanic felt rather uncomfortable. The ship will not only shoot straight ahead but will also shoot at a very slight angle, however it feels just plain awkward tilting the control stick very slightly right or very slightly left to be able to shoot at the angle I’d sometimes want. Secondly, warnings, information about upcoming paths etc. are usually spelled out in pick-ups. Not only does this seem like a very lazy way of giving the player feedback but it leads to situations where the game just plain slows down so you can focus on the “text”.

I also generally didn’t like the attitude of the game. It’s a minor detail but meaningless pictures of the developer’s dog and throwing in phrases like “EPIC FAIL” for no particular reason turned me off of the game a little. Enemy variety was another problem, with the only enemies I encountered being asteroids and moving walls that would damage me if I bumped into them. In fact encountering the moving walls was a bit of a low point for me; it seemed like I’d been bumbling through the game with a fair amount of ease and then all of a sudden the game threw a series of obstacles at me which seemed very difficult to work my way through without using the limit meter.
    I’d encourage people to try out Break Limit but until they can tighten up some aspects of the game and smooth out its various issues it’s not going to be a game I want.

Alpha Blasters

Alpha Blasters is the most easily describable of these games yet. It’s basically Geometry Wars, but less frantic and using faux pixel art instead of faux vector graphics. I loved Geometry Wars, and I’ve made a couple of top-down shooters myself, but I didn’t enjoy this. The best part of the game by far was the pixel art, but with the game being so close to Geometry Wars I couldn’t help draw comparison between the two, and when I did it just made Alpha Blasters feel slow and sluggish. The only real surprise within the game was the difficulty suddenly jumping up when certain enemies I destroyed released enemies that were much smaller, much faster, and much harder to see than everything else on the screen (partly due to being masked by the explosion of the dying enemy they spawned from). This led to the game inappropriately gaining a slightly heightened sense of urgency and then slowing back down painfully fast once I’d defeated the enemies. In the end I decided I was done with the Alpha Blasters trial when one of the enemies spawned on top of me, ridding me of my last life.

Overall the game is far too much like Geometry Wars, but lacks originality and excitement. 

Pause Screen

So, that’s the lot for this week. I’ll be back next week with my thoughts on the other four games I tried out but I warn you, it gets worse before it gets better. Good luck, have Batman.

-Gamer_152
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

So, this week I decided to spend a little of my spare time trialling a few Xbox LIVE Indie Games and noting down my impressions of them. I’ve never wished to discredit the work of aspiring, young developers out there, especially not as I’m currently studying video games programming myself, but I’ve felt like on the whole the quality of the stuff on Xbox LIVE Indie hasn’t been all that... Well, good. On my venture through the depths of the Xbox LIVE Marketplace I hoped that some of the games I found would help prove me wrong. The rules I set myself were that I could only play the trial of each game once, up until the trial time for it expired. I also tried to pick a fairly random handful of Indie games for the sake of fairness. So, without further ado, here’s my quick review of the first four of the eight games I tried out.

Zombie Accountant

Thematically this game is exactly what you’d expect; in fact I couldn’t help but be reminded a little of Jonathon Coulton’s ‘ Re: Your Brains’ while playing. Gameplay is very simple, the stage continually scrolls from right to left and you must use the A button to jump over objects in your path and the X button to duck while making your way past office workers. As you continue to jump over the objects blocking your path your speed will increase, but you can slow yourself down by deliberately running into one of the obstacles on the ground. There are also loose documents scattered along your path which you can collect to raise your score and eventually level up.

I didn’t feel like there was much incentive to keep moving at high speed as you only lose lives when you run into an office worker. If you stay slow it’s easier to collect documents, dodge office workers, and there’s no easily discernible penalty for doing it. Overall I feel like Zombie Accountant is a solid game though; it has fairly competent graphics, it keeps itself simple, and the levelling component genuinely made me consider jumping back into the trial for more.

Ubergridder

Ubergridder is a top-down action game where you control a vehicle which can only move along the lines of a fixed grid. As your vehicle moves along the lines it leaves a trail behind it, and should you be able to paint your trail around the entire border of the various rectangles on the grid, those rectangles will be filled in. The goal in each level is to fill in all the rectangles on the grid while avoiding the enemies, although enemies can be stopped temporarily through the use of traps you can drop on the track. In fact this game is pretty much Amidar.

The game has a rather sci-fi art style and in general looks good. I felt a bit restricted by only being able to move along the lines, and holding the control stick in one direction, in anticipation of reaching a point on the grid where you could change your direction felt somewhat janky, but perhaps these are more personal gripes than anything. Unfortunately I encountered somewhat of a game-breaking bug multiple times while playing. Occasionally I’d appear to highlight all the way around the sides of a rectangle but it wouldn’t be filled in until I moved back over one of the corners of it. For the price it’s sold for some might be able to get a certain amount of enjoyment out of Ubergridder, but I’d rather just download Game Room and buy myself a copy of Amidar.

Break Limit

Break Limit is a top-down sci-fi shoot ‘em up, not unlike Galaga. However, Break Limit favours having a large quantity of collectables on screen at all times to help you rack up your score. Stages also feature bright blue orbs that you can collect to increase your ‘limit meter’. When you use your limit meter you will start moving at a high speed, destroying everything in your path without taking any damage. The levels themselves also feature branching paths and multiple routes for players to take.

I felt like Break Limit had a lot of potential and I really wanted to like it, but I felt there were also a lot of issues that added up to mean that Break Limit couldn’t be everything it should’ve been. Firstly, the shooting mechanic felt rather uncomfortable. The ship will not only shoot straight ahead but will also shoot at a very slight angle, however it feels just plain awkward tilting the control stick very slightly right or very slightly left to be able to shoot at the angle I’d sometimes want. Secondly, warnings, information about upcoming paths etc. are usually spelled out in pick-ups. Not only does this seem like a very lazy way of giving the player feedback but it leads to situations where the game just plain slows down so you can focus on the “text”.

I also generally didn’t like the attitude of the game. It’s a minor detail but meaningless pictures of the developer’s dog and throwing in phrases like “EPIC FAIL” for no particular reason turned me off of the game a little. Enemy variety was another problem, with the only enemies I encountered being asteroids and moving walls that would damage me if I bumped into them. In fact encountering the moving walls was a bit of a low point for me; it seemed like I’d been bumbling through the game with a fair amount of ease and then all of a sudden the game threw a series of obstacles at me which seemed very difficult to work my way through without using the limit meter.
    I’d encourage people to try out Break Limit but until they can tighten up some aspects of the game and smooth out its various issues it’s not going to be a game I want.

Alpha Blasters

Alpha Blasters is the most easily describable of these games yet. It’s basically Geometry Wars, but less frantic and using faux pixel art instead of faux vector graphics. I loved Geometry Wars, and I’ve made a couple of top-down shooters myself, but I didn’t enjoy this. The best part of the game by far was the pixel art, but with the game being so close to Geometry Wars I couldn’t help draw comparison between the two, and when I did it just made Alpha Blasters feel slow and sluggish. The only real surprise within the game was the difficulty suddenly jumping up when certain enemies I destroyed released enemies that were much smaller, much faster, and much harder to see than everything else on the screen (partly due to being masked by the explosion of the dying enemy they spawned from). This led to the game inappropriately gaining a slightly heightened sense of urgency and then slowing back down painfully fast once I’d defeated the enemies. In the end I decided I was done with the Alpha Blasters trial when one of the enemies spawned on top of me, ridding me of my last life.

Overall the game is far too much like Geometry Wars, but lacks originality and excitement. 

Pause Screen

So, that’s the lot for this week. I’ll be back next week with my thoughts on the other four games I tried out but I warn you, it gets worse before it gets better. Good luck, have Batman.

-Gamer_152
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I haven't bought any Indie games. I did try that Lacrosse game trial. I read they put out a newer version this year with an actual Lacrosse license. I liked the trial, I should have bought it. I should buy the newer version.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Aetheldod

I guess this indie games are only available in Europe US & Canada cuz I havent seen them , where you found this games?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Claude: With the price the indie games are sold at if there's something you're interested in it's almost always worth the purchase price.

@Aetheldod: I don't know what territories Xbox LIVE Indie Games are available for apart from the US and UK. I'm in the UK and on our Xbox system to access the Indie Games you go Game Marketplace> Explore Game Content> Games & Demos> Indie Games.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude
    @Gamer_152:  It's only 400 points... I'm gonna do it. Thanks.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I've played a handful of indie games on XBLA, and to be honest, I haven't been impressed.  I don't know if it's the limitations of the development tools or the creators themselves, but most of the efforts feel a bit half-assed both in concept and excecution.  However, that being said, I am in no way a programmer or an expert in these things, and I applaud anyone who takes the time to try to attempt these things.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jonnyboy

I have bought some amazing indie games on XBLM. I also got really drunk one night and sorted the list by popularity and bought the bottom 5 entries. That was a bad/awesome idea.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw: I feel like the biggest limitation for the Indie Games is that Microsoft place a 150MB maximum limit on Indie Games. Beyond that developers are forced into using XNA to create their games and must essentially pay to get their games published, however there's no real reason that even within those constraints people can't create a high quality game.

I think one thing people often forget is that the games most people are used to playing, even if they're indie releases, and even if they're not very good, are made by the most skilled people in the industry and often in large groups. Most of the people creating games on Xbox LIVE Indie Games are amateurs or people still learning development skills, either working by themselves or in very small teams. For the average developer-wannabe out there, even with a lot of time and willpower on their hands, it can also be very difficult to pick up professional industry skills, it's just not common knowledge how people should go about designing a game, let alone co-ordinating a full development process, and even if it was it would still be a very difficult task.

That's not to say there aren't some very skilled indie developers out there but for those few who genuinely possess great skill in a field of games development it's more beneficial for them to look for a team that can create a real high quality indie game and release it on Steam, than it is for them to stick to creating Xbox LIVE Indie Games.

@jonnyboy: I've gotta say that does sound like a pretty interesting experiment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.