Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live Indie Games

Concept »

An official line of downloadable games for the Xbox 360 that were developed, peer-reviewed, and self-published by a community of indie developers using Microsoft's XNA framework.

Xbox Live Indie Gems

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By superpow

I've recently browsed through the Xbox live indie marketplace. A lot of the games are pretty much crap. Some exist solely for the pleasure of lonely perverts (yes, Ninja Chop, I'm looking at you). Some border on the retarded. Some aren't even games at all !!!! Who would read the description of Gallery Landscapes and think "This is for me!". However, some games are just brilliant. Some of you might be familiar with Cthulhu Saves The World. This is a great little gem in xbox live indie and I'm quite happy I found it.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By superpow

I've recently browsed through the Xbox live indie marketplace. A lot of the games are pretty much crap. Some exist solely for the pleasure of lonely perverts (yes, Ninja Chop, I'm looking at you). Some border on the retarded. Some aren't even games at all !!!! Who would read the description of Gallery Landscapes and think "This is for me!". However, some games are just brilliant. Some of you might be familiar with Cthulhu Saves The World. This is a great little gem in xbox live indie and I'm quite happy I found it.

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hairy_Fish

The Cthulhu game looks pretty good. Shame Europeans don't get indie games...

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By jtmosh

I think indie games get a bad rap sometimes. Yeah, there's a LOT of garbage on there. In fact, there's far more garbage than not. If you know where to look, however, it actually has quite a few great games. Considering most of them cost a dollar I usually feel I've got my moneys worth even if it doesn't last very long. I mean, I used to drop a dollar or more on a single credit in the arcades frequently. Here's a few that I've played that I dig...

AardBloxX: It's basically top down Tetris. You can re-size the grid and throw in some non-standard piece shapes for a little extra challenge. 

Breath of Death VII: Made by the same dev as Cthulhu Saves the World (actually came out before). I haven't played Cthulhu but, from the looks of them, I'd imagine they're fairly similar.

Fishing Girl: You have to catch fish to make money to buy new gear to catch better fish to make more money to save your friend that's stranded on the island across from you. Not super lengthy but I had fun while it lasted.

Head Shot 2: You have to find and shoot the target you're given within a set time limit. Not much to it but it gets quite challenging after a few levels.

I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES: This is pretty much the seminal XBL indie game. Top down dual joystick shooting insanity. EVERYONE should buy this game. It's a dollar and it's awesome.

Miner Dig Deep: You have a mine and you gotta dig. The deeper you get the better minerals you find so you can buy better gear to dig deeper. I honestly can't explain the euphoria when you see a new mineral off in the distance. You know that you have to have it and will do anything to get there. I also like the sandboxy nature of it. When you start out there's just a hole in the ground. You have to make sure to place the ladders and elevators correctly so you can get back to the surface and not kill yourself falling into a pit. The best indie game by far. It started at 240 points but I think it's down to 80 now. Buy it.

Ninja Bros: It's basically a puzzle/platformer. You control up to four ninjas at a time. The stick controls them all at once and each one is assigned to a different face button to make them jump. It starts off easy but after a while it gets down right diabolical.

Shoot 1up: Fairly basic vertical scrolling shoot 'em up, except, as the name implies, it's all about the 1ups. The unique thing about it is that every 1up you get automatically becomes part of your squadron. If I remember correctly you can get to a maximum of 30 ships at the same time.

Soul: It's basically Operation. You move your little soul through the levels and you can't touch the walls, if you do you die. Really nice art in this one. It's got a stupid "screamer' that pops up from time to time that kind of brings everything down, but I had a good time with it.

The Impossible Game: You go along a straight path and have to avoid obstacles. It's only got one level, but I've never been able to beat it without using the check points. 

There's probably more out there that are good, but those are the ones that I've really liked.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Getz

I played one earlier today, trial version of course, called Why Did I Even Buy This and it's basically just a pop-up trying to get you to buy the game. High-concept? Sure. Shamless? You bet your ass. I am in awe of the brass balls on the designers of this thing.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JasonR86

I really enjoyed the Impossible Game and its expansion (though those games are hard as nails) and Flotilla.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ch3burashka
    @Getz said:
    I played one earlier today, trial version of course, called Why Did I Even Buy This and it's basically just a pop-up trying to get you to buy the game. High-concept? Sure. Shamless? You bet your ass. I am in awe of the brass balls on the designers of this thing.
    Without consequences, there's nothing to be in awe about. Anyone can put up shit and ask money for it, like controller "massagers".
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Coombs
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Coombs: That's the upcoming PC version, which should show up on Steam sometime in the near future.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Coombs
    @StarFoxA:  

The original version of Cthulhu Saves the World is available now for 240 Microsoft Points ($3 USD) in all countries where XBox Live Indie Games are supported. Owners of the 360 version will be automatically upgraded for free to the enhanced version when released. The PC release ($3 USD) will include the enhancements by default when the PC version is released this Spring.

I was under the assumption that it was already released as there is less than a month before the end of spring.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Coombs: I think they're working on porting Breath of Death VII before they release.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Coombs
    @StarFoxA:  
    Ahh, 
    Either way this is actually the first I've even heard of this game and I must thank  
    @superpow:  
    for bringing it to my attention, As I really (REALLY) miss the old school RPGs (FFVI is the greatest RPG of all time) 
    And I look forward to giving this a run through.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Getz
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    @Getz said:
    Without consequences, there's nothing to be in awe about. Anyone can put up shit and ask money for it, like controller "massagers".
    nah man, this goes beyond shovelware. It's shovelware that blatantly tries to bully you in to buying it.
    Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Xdsk
    @Hairy_Fish said:
    The Cthulhu game looks pretty good. Shame Europeans don't get indie games...
    What now? 

My brother plays fortress craft quite religiously, I enjoy beat hazard (as it uses your own music to create levels)
    Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hairy_Fish
    @Xdsk: How? Where do I go to download them?
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Only game I have ever bought from IndieGames always meant to check out more.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CptBedlam

My recommendation:

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By superpow
    @Coombs: Hey no problem. I hope you enjoy it. And FFVI is the greatest RPG of all time!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.