Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Micro$oft wants more money. Meanwhile, you agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
    deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

In this day and age, most companies are lowering their prices to compete with the looming market right now. Microsoft, on the other hand, thinks they’re more than special; they’re untouchable. So what does the community think of this? Well, the Microsoft community is all for it. Sure, why not. It’s only  your wallet!

Why is Xbox Live worth it to said community?  Hulu, I’ve heard.  ESPN, I’ve heard.  Last.fm, I’ve heard.  Facebook, I’ve heard. I’m sorry but I thought we were talking about a gaming system. Sadly, all of the features that people are paying for are available on other systems for free. Before we get into the typical flame wars of console vs. console, let me explain that this has nothing to do with the base model of the Xbox 360. It has everything to do with the extra services they offer. So if you want to have a war of some sort, let’s war over the services these fine machines offer.

The big news is the price jump from $10 extra per year for annual payments or $2 extra per month. This doesn’t look that bad right now, but let me be honest. I could care less about the ‘extra’ junk outside of playing online. I get all of those other services on my PC for free. I don’t want to be able to watch Hulu on my 360 for a premium per month. So why can’t Microsoft pump out a Platinum membership for these other non-gaming features? Gold membership should be subject to just gaming. I don’t get these service plans. It all boils down to, “Hi. We’re a greedy company that demands more money.”.

This isn’t just the shortcomings of one company. This is all companies in general. Greed makes the corporate ladder taller.

I’ve already switched my long-loyal companionship over to the dark side, Sony, and didn’t have a huge issue with Xbox Live until I got out of it. I still pay for it (I buy the cards so I can save a lot of money), but after this price jump, even how small it might be, I’m dropping out.

I understand that some of you don’t have other means to play games. I just don’t understand why people are jumping on board to say, “Well worth it! Here’s my money, Microsoft! No argument from me! And I’ll be on the forums later defending it to the point of getting banned!!”. I’m voting with my wallet on this one though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In this day and age, most companies are lowering their prices to compete with the looming market right now. Microsoft, on the other hand, thinks they’re more than special; they’re untouchable. So what does the community think of this? Well, the Microsoft community is all for it. Sure, why not. It’s only  your wallet!

Why is Xbox Live worth it to said community?  Hulu, I’ve heard.  ESPN, I’ve heard.  Last.fm, I’ve heard.  Facebook, I’ve heard. I’m sorry but I thought we were talking about a gaming system. Sadly, all of the features that people are paying for are available on other systems for free. Before we get into the typical flame wars of console vs. console, let me explain that this has nothing to do with the base model of the Xbox 360. It has everything to do with the extra services they offer. So if you want to have a war of some sort, let’s war over the services these fine machines offer.

The big news is the price jump from $10 extra per year for annual payments or $2 extra per month. This doesn’t look that bad right now, but let me be honest. I could care less about the ‘extra’ junk outside of playing online. I get all of those other services on my PC for free. I don’t want to be able to watch Hulu on my 360 for a premium per month. So why can’t Microsoft pump out a Platinum membership for these other non-gaming features? Gold membership should be subject to just gaming. I don’t get these service plans. It all boils down to, “Hi. We’re a greedy company that demands more money.”.

This isn’t just the shortcomings of one company. This is all companies in general. Greed makes the corporate ladder taller.

I’ve already switched my long-loyal companionship over to the dark side, Sony, and didn’t have a huge issue with Xbox Live until I got out of it. I still pay for it (I buy the cards so I can save a lot of money), but after this price jump, even how small it might be, I’m dropping out.

I understand that some of you don’t have other means to play games. I just don’t understand why people are jumping on board to say, “Well worth it! Here’s my money, Microsoft! No argument from me! And I’ll be on the forums later defending it to the point of getting banned!!”. I’m voting with my wallet on this one though.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AltonBrown

I'm sorry, your post is well written, but spelling Microsoft with a dollar sign for an s is pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @AltonBrown said:
    " I'm sorry, your post is well written, but spelling Microsoft with a dollar sign for an s is pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever seen. "
    you mean brilliant
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @AltonBrown said:
    " I'm sorry, your post is well written, but spelling Microsoft with a dollar sign for an s is pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever seen. "
    you mean brilliant
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

The current gaming community is one of the dumbest we've had in years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AltonBrown:  
    I only added the $ because it made the title more cha-chingy.
    dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By dipstick

If you have a market with millions of users and you KNOW they'll keep paying for you service, wouldn't you charge more? They could charge 85$ for it and people would still buy it. It's like if I came up to you and said "Hey there, would you like 5$ or 10$"?

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Improved voice chat is promised in the upcoming year - I'll just pretend that's where m y $10 is going, and honestly, I'm ok with that. 
    I support you speaking with your wallet, more people should do it - it's the best way to send a message, just stick to your guns.

Bloopa79Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Bloopa79Aus

I feel the same way really , I let my gold lapse a year and a bit ago , I only used it for the odd game every few months . I never used any other the other features . As I have a pc . I have also found I am starting to just buy more games on the ps3. If all companies went to pay for online play , I will probably just do without as the amount I use the service a monthly or yearly fee is not justified in my opinion. If they consider it download fees. That is included in the price of the items .

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RobotHamster

I agree, that's why I'm not renewing mine when it's up in a few months, plus I haven't really been playing it all that much lately.  I might just sell it and stick with my playstation because there are many exclusive I'm looking forward to on it plus the online if free and for free its good.  Microsoft has been letting me down year after year and all these price increases and the path their taking is not helping, kinect will probably be the final nail in the coffin.  Now I'm not saying I'm going to buy move but for me I think Sony has won me over.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By pweidman

It's typical business, and bottomline, most people will just pay the difference regardless.  Moot topic really.  If you divide the cost and account for hrs played online, the service is a bargain still.  Not justifying the MS decision to hike the yearly price, but this was coming sooner or later, especially after the big pubs started grumbling about missing revenues from online gaming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pweidman:  
    The problem I still have with Xbox 360 is it's a bargain... if that's all you have. There's literally no difference in quality when it comes to PS3vsPCvs360 multiplayer. PC has a "do whatever the heck you want" atmosphere, which I like a lot more. It's all the "eye of the beholder" type thing though. 

I just don't like the people that are tools. Those people are the ones that scream "GOOD!" when their company screws them.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By zombie2011

I don't care it's only $10 more a year. I'll drink cheap bear for a couple days and i'll be square.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.