Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Microsoft makes it too easy to buy stuff.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yit

Hail friends. I bring a tale of confusion, panic, and all around failure.

So, this fine morning, I woke up, and checked my email. "Hm, an email from Microsoft? I didn't buy anything..." I thought to myself. "14 MONTHS OF GOLD? $50? WHAT?" I thought in caps. Needless to say, I checked the timestamp. "1 AM? I was asleep!" Thus, I rushed to my Xbox to see what was the matter.

It was on. A controller was connected. It was sitting on the Beatles Rock Band main menu. I rush to my Dad; "Did you buy Gold last night?" "What? No!" "Oh god..." 

I look at all my controllers. Off. Nary for one. This bastard:

No Caption Provided
    Yes, he was on. Why? Because, as you may know, on this guitar, the neck detaches, for shipping / packing purposes, I guess. Apparently, one or more of those connections between the frets and the head were faulty.

I turned off the Xbox with a standard wireless controller. It turns back on. I glance at the guitar. The jewel glows. I pick up the guitar. I jiggle it. It registers as an "A" press. Then it hit me.

As of late, when you boot up the Xbox as a silver member, you are greeted with a "14 MONTHS OF LIVE" icon already selected. I thought: 2 buttons. One to select, one to confirm. Then, my cats. They run around, and are heavy. They must have jostled it, and bought me Live!

So, all in all, Microsoft makes it too easy to buy shit. Luckily, I got the charges reversed on my card, and my Gold canceled. 

Be wary of these guitars, they do bad things.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Yukoei

Duder, epic.

pacman326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By pacman326

Wow what an AMAZING set of coincidences. Sheesh I did not realize how hard Microsoft was pushing live to silver members.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yit
    @pacman326: 

Not even that, the CSR on the phone was like "Are you sure you want to cancel? It's a good deal. BLAH BLAH NETFLIX BLAH BLAH HALOZ"
    pacman326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pacman326
    @Yit: No I understand that. I left my 360 at home for the semester at college, and as a result I only get back maybe once every 2 weeks if I am lucky. Luckily for me, the HDD in my 60GB starter kit was defective, and as a result I got 2 3 month live cards out of the deal so my live is still free at the moment. 

But yeah, I would and people should NEVER get live for full price. You can find it for 35 or less most of the time anyways.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Andorski

Damn... that sucks.  MS really has streamlined the way you can buy stuff off of Live, which is both a blessing and a curse.  It's great when you want to buy something, but if not, you are inundated with all these options to purchase things (be it games, videos, themes, etc.).  It's all in the way MS has blurred what you own and what you can buy in the 360's interface.

There have been so many times when I have a friend play on my 360 and then ask "hey... I was playing a game on your system and it asked if I wanted to unlock the rest of it.  Can I select okay?"  For those who frequently use the 360 works would immediately know that 1) What they were playing was a demo, not a full game and 2) Unlocking = Buying.  It doesn't help that when the 'buy' screen pops up, you are shown what the game costs in Microsoft's funny money points system instead of it's cash value.

So yea... I try to take all the precautions for things like this not to happen.  I only buy points when I have to, and I never pay for XBL Gold or MS points using a credit card over Live.  Letting MS have direct access to your credit card is a bit 'No, No.'

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By turbo_toaster

Whoa holy crap, lol

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yit

Also, I found this gem in my account on xbox.com

No Caption Provided
    So um, do I get gold until the year 10001?
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Afroman269

You make it sound like having a gold account is a bad thing.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yit
    @Afroman269:  When I don't want to pay for one, it is.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

wow thats crazy man. its a good thing they reversed it tho :P

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By immike

lol, the title was very misleading. More like: "Plastic Guitar bought me Xbox Live".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.