Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Microsoft to Discontinue Xbox Live for Original Xbox Titles

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mrjared

EDIT: Jeff made an official news post, so let's use this thread to discuss whether or not we should attempt to arrange some original Xbox sessions.  

This is honestly some fairly surprising news as the Xbox originals still use this service.  

I wanted to let you know that on April 15, 2010 Microsoft will discontinue Xbox LIVE service for original Xbox consoles and games, including Xbox 1 games playable on Xbox 360. Our first step in this process will be to turn off auto-renewals for those members who only use Xbox LIVE on a v1 Xbox. While I can’t comment on the specifics, this change will allow us to continue evolving the LIVE service with new features and experiences that fully harness the power of Xbox 360 and the Xbox LIVE community. We did not make this decision lightly, but after careful consideration and review we realize that this decision will allow us unprecedented flexibility for future features. 

Xbox LIVE general manager Marc Whitten ( Gamertag Notwen) has posted this letter to the community which provides additional context.

The best is yet to come, and we look forward to sharing more details in the near future.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/02/05/xbox-live-being-discontinued-for-original-xbox-consoles-and-games.aspx      

Some may say this is no big deal, but I think its another reminder of how the increasing online focus of all games can eventually come back to bite us.  

Maybe now is the time to arrange some GiantBomb play dates for some of the better original Xbox titles that we'll soon be missing? Who else feels like dusting off their copies of Rallisport Challenge 2 and Phantom Dust?  
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nukesniper

Giantbomb play dates are necessary. Splinter Cell 2 & 3 are sitting here just waiting to be played. 

Other games that I would be interested in maybe popping in. Mechassault 2, Project Gotham 2, and Rainbow Six 3. 

I'm almost surprised they didn't pull a "except Halo 2" type move there, but I'm sure the numbers for that game are crazy low at this point, which is why it lasted so long.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By apathylad

If I remember correctly, the reason we currently have a 100 friend limit had something to do with the way the original Xbox Live was set up. If this is true, then maybe they'll allow everyone to go beyond 100 friends. This is good news for online communities (like Giantbomb). I'm not really surprised that this happened, especially considering Microsoft hasn't really updated Xbox Original downloads all that often.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

One thing this will do for sure is increase the friend limit. They said Halo 2 was the reason it has been stuck at 100. 

Not that it affects me. I like to have four people on my list MAX.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By JJOR64

That blows.  Better play some 3rd Strike online with my friends before it dies.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hamst3r

Finally.

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrjared
    @Apathylad said:
    " If I remember correctly, the reason we currently have a 100 friend limit had something to do with the way the original Xbox Live was set up. If this is true, then maybe they'll allow everyone to go beyond 100 friends. This is good news for online communities (like Giantbomb). I'm not really surprised that this happened, especially considering Microsoft hasn't really updated Xbox Original downloads all that often. "
    Yeah, this seems to be the general consensus. My hope is that when they do expand the friends list they take the concept a step further. I'd love to see the ability to alias your friends (I changed all my AIM contacts on Adium to their real names because remembering everyone's internet handles is impossible) and to create groups for friends as well. That way I could remember who came from which community, which are family members ect.  

@nukesniper: I'd totally be down for a Rainbow Six 3 night. I loved that game to death. When my friends and I found ourselves utterly dominating the other team one of us would call out to "FORM THE TOWER OF POWER!" The next round we'd all switch our main weapons to the chain gun. We'd then find some sort of platform to pose in front of, or failing that, a narrow hallway. 

We'd arrange ourselves in some ridiculous pose with two in back and two crouching in front. As soon as we saw anyone we'd unload until we ran out of ammo. I remember it getting really elaborate by combining smoke grenades with breakable doors ... god damn those were good times!
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#8  Edited By Brackynews
    @MrJared said:
    Who else feels like dusting off their copies of Rallisport Challenge 2 and Phantom Dust?  "
    ???
    I've got Raze's Hell around here somewhere...  maybe a Conker game.  Psychonauts isn't online, right?
    Who am I kidding.  My XBOX hasn't resembled its original blueprint for years, inside or out.  Last of the great modded beasts, and still looks damn cool. 

Things are going to get interesting (and loud).  I'm sure the Halo 2 PC community will benefit at least.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By oldschool

This is why I dislike games where the focus is online.  They have a shelf life and it isn't the graphics.  Online play is neutral to a negative for my gaming tastes.  I never played a single Xbox game online, so I don't really care.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By K0rN

:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((( I still play Halo 2! NOOOOOO!!!
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @K0rN said:
    " :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((( I still play Halo 2! NOOOOOO!!! "
    yeah lots of people do man, o well end of an era? lol
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Andorski
    K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By K0rN
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @K0rN said:
    " :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((( I still play Halo 2! NOOOOOO!!! "
    yeah lots of people do man, o well end of an era? lol "

Halo 2 Vista doesn't seem like such a shitty PC port after all....
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @JJOR64 said:
    " That blows.  Better play some 3rd Strike online with my friends before it dies. "
    WAIT FUCK I just realized that dude they better bring 3s or theirs gonna be ALOT of pissed people.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By JJOR64
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    " That blows.  Better play some 3rd Strike online with my friends before it dies. "
    WAIT FUCK I just realized that dude they better bring 3s or theirs gonna be ALOT of pissed people. "
    Capcom should just port the fucking to XBLA/PSN already dammit.     WERE WAITING CAPCOM!!!!!  WHILE YOUR AT IT, MAKE ME A NEW ONIMUSHA GAME GOD DAMMIT!
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    WAIT FUCK I just realized that dude they better bring 3s or theirs gonna be ALOT of pissed people. "
    Capcom should just port the fucking to XBLA/PSN already dammit.     WERE WAITING CAPCOM!!!!!  WHILE YOUR AT IT, MAKE ME A NEW ONIMUSHA GAME GOD DAMMIT! "
    NO
    mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mrjared

I'd be down for some XBL 3rd Strike, but I've got two problems.. 

1) I don't have my original Xbox stick anymore 
    2) 3rd Strike BC is pretty bad with massive frame chopping occurring on super jump. I reckon that'd cause some sort of de-sync or at least some bad lag. 

We could play DOA2U :D

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Oni

I will parry your super ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK

I don't even know what that means

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.