Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Portable Xbox a 'Matter of When'

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

I found this article on 1up.com and started thinking again about the long debated issue of whether or not there will (or should) be an Xbox portable system. This is interesting because Shane Kim's comments basically lead you to believe this is going to happen. However maybe not in the traditional sense such as a PSP type system. Here is part of what was said:

"For us, it's a matter of focusing on 'when', because if we chased after a mobile or handheld opportunity, we would not have the resources and ability to do things like... Project Natal," said Kim, in response to whether he sees room for the Xbox brand in portable gaming in the future. "So we've chosen to focus on the living room experience from a hardware standpoint, if you will, but we're building a service in Live that will...will extend to other platforms. No question about it."

The article in it's entirety goes on to say basically that Microsoft has plans to bring the Live brand to portable devices. That could be cell phones, or entirely new "Xbox portable" type systems.

So what do you guys think? Is it better to divert resources into building new hardware? Or would you prefer Live on cell phones? Heck, Zune is even a possibility of being the home of portable Live.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Could a mod please delete one of my double posts? Sorry.   : (

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai
    @JJWeatherman: MS are having enough problems making a stable full size console. I really don't want to think how much shit a portable xbox will give you. I also think trying to get into the portable market will be a bad idea for them with NATAL and this whole thing of them trying to be all casual like Nintendo. I think they are starting to lose their focus and they need to concentrate on on the people that do buy their console and their games and those people are not casual gamers. 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

It would be cool I guess.  If they are trying to over take Nintendo in the handheld department, that shit isn't going to happen.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @JJOR64 said:
    " It would be cool I guess.  If they are trying to over take Nintendo in the handheld department, that shit isn't going to happen. "
    Well if they end up going with an existing device such as the Zune or mobile phones, they wouldn't be direct competitors. But I think you're right that If Microsoft did go the route of making new Xbox portable hardware, it would have to be pretty amazing to make a significant dent in the portable market.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.