Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Subscription coming up. Worth keeping one more year?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BrockNRolla

I know we've all got our opinions about Xbox Live. I know I do. I'm extremely disappointed in the direction it has gone since the last dashboard update. Things like the interface of the main dashboard, and even the interface of things like Netflix (Which I now how to choose between Netflix and Netflix for Kids every time I use it), are really unacceptable. I don't want them to keep moving in this direction, but I can't say I'm championing what Sony has been doing on the PS3 either.

Which brings me to my replacement for my 360's gold subscription; my PS3. I don't think the software is as good on the PS3, nor do I think it works as well (Amazon Videos look crappier and Netflix doesn't seem to sit at high quality with the same frequency that it does for my 360). I don't think PS3 software is really any more usable, even if it is less obtrusive. I don't have any desire to get a subscription to PS+, nor do I think that would fix any of my qualms with the PS3, but that isn't really at issue.

TL:DR - Should I drop my Gold subscription? I barely play games online, but I do use a lot of online services. I also like to download DLC, and probably will be with Borderlands 2 in the near future and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. So what would you do in my situation, duders? Remember, I'm not asking if I should switch to PS+, only if I ought to hang onto Xbox Live Gold for another year. What are your opinions of the service?

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By j0lter

I'd buy one more year, but be aware that the new consoles are probably coming out in 2013.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you don't have to support MS's bullshit, then don't. Buy Borderlands and XCOM on PS3 and wait out the year for the new consoles.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MideonNViscera

Obviously buying it hinges entirely on whether or not you plan to play Halo 4.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrockNRolla

@MideonNViscera said:

Why do you say that? Are you assuming because of multiplayer? I'll probably play Halo 4, but I don't know that I'll care beyond the single player.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I think you should. I did this month

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By geirr

Really depends if you're interested in Xbox's current path, personally I'm not but the subscription here in Norway is more expensive and you get waaay less for your money. I generally only resubscribe for a month here and there if some must-have downloadable is released.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By laserbolts

Considering you'll pay 50 bucks a year for scarce videos of dudes playing video games this wouldn't be your worst investment.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

I'm fine with it. Don't pay $60 though... you can easily find deals if you search enough. I bought a year for $35 not too long ago.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BrockNRolla

@laserbolts said:

Considering you'll pay 50 bucks a year for scarce videos of dudes playing video games this wouldn't be your worst investment.

Are you talking about a GB membership? I'm talking about an Xbox Live Gold membership. Unless there's some sort of video series on the service I'm not aware of.

Avatar image for thebeastwithtwobacks
    thebeastwithtwobacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mine is also coming up soon. i wont be resubbing. sticking to the PC for a while. seems like you should just stick to your PS3 until next year or whenever

paulm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By paulm

I've been playing less and less games in the past year and even not finishing or skiping some giantbomb videos but the premium content is some of the best, I cant't imagen being locked out of that stuff I'll up for another year.

Edit: Oh you were talking about Xbox live, yea gana laps in the fall and ill wait tell i buy a game i wana play online to get gold again mines

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#14  Edited By Kidavenger

Use that money you would have spent on live and buy a Roku or some other streaming box; one time fee > ongoing expense, and it opens up other content options like watching giantbomb/tested/comicvine/other stuff.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hunkulese

What? You can't buy DLC without gold? That's pretty silly.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kgb0515

Mine doesn't run out until next May, but I have been asking myself the same question. I will most likely want to play Halo 4 multiplayer, but I suck at Halo, and will most likely give up quickly. I'll buy Battlefield 4 for PC since I hate what they have done with MP on consoles with servers and all, and I'm pretty much done with COD. I guess that means I won't resub next year, but I will pay for it if the next Xbox charges for Live again (which they will).

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By JTB123

You don't need gold to buy DLC, I let my gold run out last month because I won't be needing it until Halo 4 comes out and I'm still able to purchase DLC and XBLA games. I think it really boils down to how much you like playing whatever 360 games you have online, if you can live without it or use the PS3 version then let it run out and pick it up again if/when there is a good enough reason to.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By AngelN7

I say not worth it specially with something like PS+ sure those games aren't free but for 50$ you're basically renting X- amount of games for a year I'd say that''s a pretty good deal considering you don't play games online I think is a better choice than paying 50$ for Xbox live or just save the money and buy X COM : Enemy Unknown that game looks like is gonna be really fun... but you're paying also 50$ to watch videos on a videogame website so it's up to you to see what's worth or not.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BrockNRolla

Thanks for the suggestions, and keep your thoughts coming! I didn't realize that DLC and XBLA downloads could still happen without Gold, so that makes a big difference.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

Yeah, I've been thinking about it quite a bit also. I should have bought the 12-Month cards from Amazon when they were only $40, but I figured it would stay that price by the time my subscription ran out. I do have a PS3, not to mention the video streaming is crappy on my PS3 compared to my 360. I really want to play some Halo 4, though.

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rynbeed

I gave up my Gold for for Plus membership last year, haven't looked back. Of course all I do is watch Netflix and play single player games, so I wasn't really making use of the Gold stuff anyway.

Least I get "free" games for the Plus stuff?

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By DharmaBum

@MideonNViscera said:

Pretty much this. If Halo 4 flops, then Gears and Forza aren't enough for me to continue subscribing. There's a reason Halo has never had bots, it's Microsoft's flagship title that they count on to rope in Gold members.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Karl_Boss

If you don't play multiplayer I would say get rid of it.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By beargirl1

i always renew because i always play and chat with friends over Xbox live. if you barely play games online, that's probably a sign that you shouldn't renew because i would think that online play is the biggest draw for xbox live gold.. or maybe netflix too if that's gold only. if you don't play with friends, then you could get both of those things without an extra subscription (besides netflix)

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MideonNViscera

@BrockNRolla said:

@MideonNViscera said:

Why do you say that? Are you assuming because of multiplayer? I'll probably play Halo 4, but I don't know that I'll care beyond the single player.

Even the "single-player" is multiplayer thanks to Spartan Ops though. It's playable SP apparently, but it sounds like a damn good co-op experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.