Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Xbox live ban for 5 months????

• 82 results
    zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zdgro

My friend recently got banned from xbox live. The really strange and dumb thing is, he got banned for 5 months!??!?! (February to July) ... the thing is he was banned for having the word 'assholes' in his gamertag profile thingy and also saying something about him being a christian. I mean, it isn't like he had mods or he was cheating or anything...

This seems like a ridiculous amount of time for this kind of code of conduct thing... Is this normal? Is there anything he can do about it? 

Thanks for any advice or opinions!

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By ez123

There should have been a warning first but after that, Microsoft can do whatever they want.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By yakov456

Stop being and "asshole"?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

Did he say Christians are assholes?  Well, that would do the trick.  And besides any mention of sexual orientation or religious affinity is fair game regarding Microsoft's policies of online conduct.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Thats ridiculous. I have never heard of such a petty ban! 

I see 12 year old kids all the time with swearing galore on their profiles, and they still are not banned.

BTW, i see a lot of people with CODE OF CONDUCT repeated about 3 times on their profile... whats that all about?

As for your friend, the only thing i can think to suggest is, get another Gamer-tag to entertain himself for 5 months. Don't think theres much that can be done.

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zdgro

No warning or anything... I have not once heard of a ban for that long for a simple curse word and saying that he is a christian.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @ZGoon: Maybe that mod was having a really goddamn terrible day?
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By TheHT

LOL what the hell was his gamertag?

"I'mAChristian_Assholes456"?

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zdgro
    @HaltIamReptar: Haha he must've... My friend is so pissed. It is pretty much the only way me and him can "hang out" after we graduated and moved far away.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ArchScabby

He must of done something else, because there is this kid on my friends list who has the word Jew in his name, and he has had to change it about 10 times since I've known him. Every time he just changes it to something else with Jew in it.  His current name is Jewnecorous rex.  He hasn't been banned, they just keep making him change his name.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JoelTGM

5 months is way too long.  He must have done something worse that he is not admitting, or maybe he was reported for a number of offenses that add up to 5 months. 

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zdgro

It is ridiculous that the mods are so drunk with power. I heard of some guy getting banned because his actual name was Richard Gaywood. 

... Hilarious name though... Dick Gaywood. ROFL

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Tuggah
    @TheHT: xXxCHR1ST1ANxASSH0L3x420xXx
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By TheHT
    @ZGoon: Jon Stewart the other night was talking about a dude that showed up at some town hall meeting Obama was at who was named Richard Swett.

@Tuggah said:
    " @TheHT: xXxCHR1ST1ANxASSH0L3x420xXx "

It's sad that that seems so much more plausible than my suggestion.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

That's more like a long suspension.

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zdgro

Sorry, it wasn't his GamerTag... It was his profile or bio or something.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By CharleyTony

the code of conduct people dont play games. 
    they do serious work 
    when someone gets banned they always down play what they did...  

to get banned , I think you have to do it on purpose or be a little stupid (or both)

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zdgro
    @Babble: But really how can they charge you for something and then ban you without warning for something as stupid as that... It is just getting way too outta hand.

Besides I have seen much more horribly racist and sexually disturbing things said in peoples bios and gamertags... It just doesnt make much sense... If playstation network didnt suck so much i would almost be mad at microsoft and boycott for a while. But I would much rather play on an insane fascist dictator online service that works than on a broken glitchy flawed one.
    illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By illmatic19

I used to share an account with my little brother when I lived with my parents, he always used to put "faggots are fags" in the description. Got banned for 2 weeks, glad I have my own account now. 

But 5 months? Thats ridiculous. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Brendan
    @CharleyTony said:
    "the code of conduct people dont play games. they do serious work  when someone gets banned they always down play what they did...    to get banned , I think you have to do it on purpose or be a little stupid (or both)  "

I agree, whenever people say they didn't do anything wrong they're almost always downplaying what they did.  It's like the kid in school who always get sent to the office for no reason.  Right.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Three0neFive
    @ZGoon said:
    " @Babble: But really how can they charge you for something and then ban you without warning for something as stupid as that... It is just getting way too outta hand.  Besides I have seen much more horribly racist and sexually disturbing things said in peoples bios and gamertags... It just doesnt make much sense... If playstation network didnt suck so much i would almost be mad at microsoft and boycott for a while. But I would much rather play on an insane fascist dictator online service that works than on a broken glitchy flawed one. "
    Dude, he's bullshitting you. He obviously did something to earn his ban, and I'm not surprised he told you "he only had a swear and a reference to religion in his profile" - people will say anything to make themselves look like innocent angels.

And MS are well within their irghts here, when you guys signed up for XBL you agreed to accept responsibility for anything and everything you do on the service. Don't like it? Cancel your account and stop bitching.
    zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zdgro
    @Three0neFive: Wow, who shat in your cereal?  I am not talking about rights, I am talking about costomer service, just a warning would be nice is all.

Haha and why the hell would my friend lie to me about that, it just makes him look like an idiot for swearing on his profile... I dont know what kind of friends you have, but most 'friends' wouldnt downplay something as trivial as an xbox live ban. Besides, it would actually be funny if it was something much worse... this way it is just sad for MS.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By frankxiv

my brother got his entire profile changed for code of conduct stuff but only got suspended for 2 days

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bones8677
    @Tuggah said:
    " @TheHT: xXxCHR1ST1ANxASSH0L3x420xXx "
    I'm willing to put down a ton of money that that gamertag actually exists. ^.^
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Marz

probably made some enemies and people saw the bio and reported it for having swearing.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jmrwacko

I once got a week ban for having "I'm not gay" as my gamer motto.

Needless to say, I no longer use the Xbox Live service.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By JJWeatherman  Online

Gotta admit that sounds like overkill. Maybe the dude deserved it though. By the way has anyone else noticed that the amount of posts per page has been reduced to 20 instead of 30? I just noticed.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rebirth1337

He did do something else. If his name was asshole they would have just made him change his name. Not ban him for 5 months.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iam3green

hat that is pretty weird. it is ridiculous that they would do that, 5 months.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By CharleyTony
    @ZGoon said:
    " @Babble: But really how can they charge you for something and then ban you without warning for something as stupid as that... It is just getting way too outta hand.  Besides I have seen much more horribly racist and sexually disturbing things said in peoples bios and gamertags... It just doesnt make much sense... If playstation network didnt suck so much i would almost be mad at microsoft and boycott for a while. But I would much rather play on an insane fascist dictator online service that works than on a broken glitchy flawed one. "

there are tools in place in order to point violations, why did you not report what you saw ? that is the way to clean up xbox live. 
    when someone really gets on my nerves online, I submit feedback. it works for people you want to avoid as well as people who appreciate without adding them to your friends list . and when you hear racist or homophobic stuff, that should be an automatic complaint against that person. 
    if you dont care or take that stuff lightly, you are part of the problem...
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jmrwacko

No Charley, it is ridiculous. You have to pay $50 a year for Xbox Live Gold membership, and the fact that they can pull out the rug from under you and basically steal back your membership because you have some lines of explicit content in your profile that isn't offensive to you or your friends is absurd, and bad business. Like I said, I was banned for a week for having "I'm not gay" in my gamer motto as part of an inside joke with my friends. At least that's what I presume I was banned for, because I called up Microsoft customer support and they wouldn't tell me why I was banned, only that I was banned and that the ban was "irreversable."

Like I said, between Microsoft being a bunch of money-grubbing assholes and all the 5 year olds playing Mature-rated games, I'm done with Xbox Live completely. For the next-generation consoles I'll be going with Playstation 4 so I can use their free Playstation Network service and not having to deal with red rings of death and external fans.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I have to think he had to do something more than have 'assholes' in his name.  to get a 5 month ban.

@jmrwacko said:

" I once got a week ban for having "I'm not gay" as my gamer motto.  Needless to say, I no longer use the Xbox Live service. "
    Wow, I wonder what would happen if you had the last line of the Flintstones theme song 'We'll have a gay old time'? Probably get banned even tho you're not using the definition that has anything to do with sexual preference. XBL even banned a guy for having the gamertag 'RichardGaywood' even tho that was his real name.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Mines Shaunass, haven't heard any mention of it. Plus funny names, Dusan Mandic, you pronounce it "Douche on Man Dick" if you haven't watched Bam's Unholy Union well he met a guy with the name.

NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NegativeCreep

I guess with all the bullshit negative press about XBox live that's come out lately, Microsoft is getting a bit twitchy when it comes to the terms of service.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    yeah banned for 5 months...you broke TOS...every other place on the planet with a terms of service would ban you for stuff that breaks their TOS...
    maybe don't break the TOS?
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By chrissedoff

microsoft declares war on christians

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rawrz

5 months? is he a repeat offender? last time i knew first time offenders for stuff like inappropriate words written in there bio resulted in a 24 hour suspension.

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zdgro

He was first time offender, he got no warning. That is the truth and I know it is hard to believe, and a lot of you think he did something much worse. Me and him have both been wracking our brains trying to figure it out, but it really makes no sense compared to any other TOS suspensions I have heard about. Could it have something to do with his current membership being good until july and they are just trying to screw him out of money or something? IT JUST MAKES NO SENSE! It angers me as a person who needs to understand everything in a logical and continuous way; 24 hour for your, 3 days for you, 12 hours for you, 2 days for you, 24 hours for you, 5 MONTHS FOR YOU SUCKA!!!! It just doesnt make sense!!!!!!!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince

Meh, it's Microsoft. Priorities out of wack.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RsistncE
    @ArchScabby said:
    " He must of done something else, because there is this kid on my friends list who has the word Jew in his name, and he has had to change it about 10 times since I've known him. Every time he just changes it to something else with Jew in it.  His current name is Jewnecorous rex.  He hasn't been banned, they just keep making him change his name. "
    This made me LOL.
    NynJah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By NynJah
    @ArchScabby said:
    " He must of done something else, because there is this kid on my friends list who has the word Jew in his name, and he has had to change it about 10 times since I've known him. Every time he just changes it to something else with Jew in it.  His current name is Jewnecorous rex.  He hasn't been banned, they just keep making him change his name. "
    Same here. I know a guy who has the word fetus in his name. First he was DisgruntldFetus, then DismboweldFetus, BeatnFetus, MolestdFetus, I haven't checked what he is now but he gets a name change every month or so, but never a ban and suspension.
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By williamhenry

Its against the TOS to have anything to do with religion, sexual preference, and a mountain of other things in your bio. He got banned because of the Christianity references in his profile.

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zdgro
    @DivineCC: Wow I wish you understood how stupid you sound when you try being a knowitall... If you read my first post and pretty much everything else said on this topic... you would see that I know that it was against the TOS and so does everyone else.
    Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Arjuna

It'd be nice if you could let children play on Xbox Live.  Obviously, don't let them use mics or talk to the very angry people on Xbox Live.  But it's getting really hard when people purposefully try to come up with offensive names.  I once came across someone whose gamertag was "N___er Killer", or something to that effect.  You can block communications with someone like that, but you can still always see someone's gamertag.  their gamertag doesn't get blocked.  These people should be banned sooner and longer.

I don't think Xbox Live pays much attention.  but when your gamertag gets a few complaints then it puts up a red-flag in their system and they'll take a look. 

These are video games...  you know, for fun...  I wish ppl would stop being such douchbags...

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
    RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

this thread is hilarious

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LiquidSwords

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#48  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @ZGoon said:
    " @DivineCC: Wow I wish you understood how stupid you sound when you try being a knowitall... If you read my first post and pretty much everything else said on this topic... you would see that I know that it was against the TOS and so does everyone else. "
    Chill out. Besides, doesn't it seem like an oxymoron to have the word "asshole" in your bio and state you're a Christian?  hahaha
    Xbox2Ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Xbox2Ps3

i got banned for a week for having a quote in my Bio that had the word fuck in it twice. Why does it matter what is in my Bio? Its my Bio and its is about who i am...thus a Bio. Also you gotta be really bored off to bother looking at someones bio. The language shouldn't be a problem because just about every single person on LIVE swears over the in-game chat. If swear words that are written offend someone then that person shouldn't have LIVE because thats all their gonna hear. Also Microsoft doesn't give you the time your suspended back, so they waste your money. If you get banned from Ps3 online network at least it wouldn't waste your money. Also i don't trash talk (let alone talk at all on Live) because then people just start screaming at you. So would someone explain to me what retarded reasoning runs LIVE and makes them think everyone is virgin mouthed angels out in the world. 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Xbox2Ps3 said:
    " i got banned for a week for having a quote in my Bio that had the word fuck in it twice. Why does it matter what is in my Bio? Its my Bio and its is about who i am...thus a Bio. Also you gotta be really bored off to bother looking at someones bio. The language shouldn't be a problem because just about every single person on LIVE swears over the in-game chat. If swear words that are written offend someone then that person shouldn't have LIVE because thats all their gonna hear. Also Microsoft doesn't give you the time your suspended back, so they waste your money. If you get banned from Ps3 online network at least it wouldn't waste your money. Also i don't trash talk (let alone talk at all on Live) because then people just start screaming at you. So would someone explain to me what retarded reasoning runs LIVE and makes them think everyone is virgin mouthed angels out in the world.  "
    Cause its ageist the rules. You might wanna read em. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.