Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility

Concept »

Xbox 360 and original Xbox games that have been approved to run on the Xbox One's backwards compatibility feature.

Porting the Emulator?

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

An odd (and potentially ludicrous) idea popped into my head as I was reading about the varying performance issues of backwards compatibility on Xbox One. Since it's running an x86 architecture now, could you see the emulator being ported to Windows at some stage in the distant future? Perhaps as a paid app through the Windows store, connected to your Xbox account? Yeah, I know it's probably not going to happen, but it'd be especially interesting since the power of a good PC could fix some of the chugging people are observing. Plus, Red Dead Redemption on PC? People would lose their minds...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It certainly won't be any time soon since they're currently focused on using it as a selling point for the Xbox One.

I'm kinda inclined to say that it won't ever happen. It's just not the sort of thing that benefits MS in any capacity to make available, and I think issues might arise with developers/publishers if they were trying to do everything "legit". For better or worse, unofficial emulators don't really have to concern themselves with what developers and publishers want, but Microsoft absolutely would have to work with them on something like this.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Macka1080

@chaser324: Yeah, you're right. Microsoft would get little to nothing out of it, regardless of when they did it. Disappointing, though. It's such a technical accomplishment to emulate just one generation back, and I feel like it could be utilised so much better on PC. Oh well...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.