Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One X Enhanced

Concept »

Games in which specific enhancements are made when played on an Xbox One X.

What games should I play first on the Xbox One X when I get a 4K TV?

• 50 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Although not at all the game to try out first, I am currently reinstalling Assassin's Creed Unity because I heard the game runs at a steady 30fps on the X (the last time I played it, which was just before AC: Origins, it ran better than I remember it, but still not perfect). Anyways, that aside, what would you recommend I install/buy/keep on the system for trying out on the new TV first? I plan on buying the TV today, though considering it's going to be through Amazon, I won't have it today.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

As far as pure visuals, HITMAN, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield 1, Forza Motorsport 7/Horizon 3, Battlefront II, and Titanfall 2 all look really damn good. Also, Red Dead's 4K patch makes that game look as good as a game that old possibly can.

As an aside, I hope you're going HDR on the TV as well. It's more impressive than 4K, IMO.

The One X is dope. Congrats on the purchase (and TV!). I've loved mine so far.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@notnert427: Yes, definitely HDR (the TV I am getting is supposedly the best 4K gaming TV for under $1000 as far as my research into new TV's has told me), although it isn't an OLED since I don't have that kind of money to spend, and... I've heard some things about possible, permanent burn-in which, even if unlikely to happen, I want to avoid like the bubonic plague. Thanks for the recommendations. I got the X a couple of months ago, and I've more or less just been playing that. I haven't gone back to the PS4 since really. I do however plan on (with a little help) buying a PS4 Pro as well at some point. I want to play the exclusive games in 4K.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By soulcake

Horizon 3 has a great look to it, being set in Australia and the "real sky" technology they used makes it even better looking. (They filmed the sky for a couple off months and implemented into there game :D.)

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

get game pass for a month.

The first party MS stuff - GOW, horizon, and sea of thieves - all are all. That latter is kinda boring, but will look real pretty on your new TV.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@ntm: RE: oled, no worry about burn in. Unless you are trying it would be super hard to do. I've been gaming for the last few years on OLED and zero problem.

You 4k/HDR is a TRAP! It is going to force you to connect your TV to a PC :)… as you are seeing your new sexy... as yourself.. what if it was 60fps with more sparkly grafix? :)

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitman, Halo 5, No Man's Sky, Star Wars Battlefront, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Fallout 4, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim, Morrowind, Red Dead Redemption, Fortnite, Battlefield 1, CoD WW2, DOOM, Far Cry 5, Homefront The Revolution, Monster Hunter World, Sea of Thieves, Star Wars KotOR, The Division, Destiny 2, The Witcher 3.

I play/have played all of these on my Xbox One X and they all look great. I've put all of the most visually impressive games in bold.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, the 4K TV should arrive on Friday. I got the TCL 55R617 55-Inch. I'm excited about it; can't wait. Thanks for the recommendations.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I am gonna be getting a 4k/HDR TV in the next 6 months or so. Let me know how it works out for ya! I just got a One X a couple months ago and can't wait to get a proper TV for it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: Cool, what TV do you plan on getting? And okay, I'll report how I feel about it.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By nutter

I can confirm Hellblade and Gears 4 look AMAZING.

Red Dead looks great for an...eight year old game?

Titanfall 2 looked really nice, but didn’t blow me away.

I need to revisit Rise of the Tomb Raider and Witcher 3.

Edit: WWE 2k18, my guilty pleasure, runs great on an Xbox One X. On the base console, there are modes that REALLY shouldn’t have been included for performance reasons. On Xbox One X, everything is silky smooth (that Career mode is still ass...tech can’t fix that mess).

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By big_denim

@ntm: Hmm probably either TCL or Vizio P Series. Ive heard those are the best budget 4Ks for gaming.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitman, Final Fantasy 15, and Witcher 3 are good games to showcase the X. They all have HDR too I believe. I would imagine Destiny 2 looks good but I played that on PC.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

@big_denim: Yeah, TCL is the best you can get for budget (which is why I got it). The Vizio P Series is the best mid-range price (which is going to cost around $2000 though), while the LG C8 is the best altogether (which is the highest price, and not much more than the 'mid-range' at about $2200.) I went with the TCL because I didn't want to go over $1000. I should say it also depends on the size. If you get the Vizio P Series at 55 Inches, it'll still reach to about $1000 with taxes.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@big_denim@ntm: I'm waiting to see how the Vizio Quantum Dot TVs stack up against the LG OLED TVs before I make the leap to 4K/HDR/Xbox One X. The last time I looked into it the Vizio Quantum Dots will be out sometime this summer.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With prices, watch for sales. Set-up a Slickdeals alert or something and give it some time. I saved $800 on my newest TV.

I got my first HD set for half-off ($999 down from $1999) when the new model came out. That new model’s only improvement was the addition of a DVI port... yeah...

There are deals to be had if you don’t need a set this very moment. Know what you want, know what you want to pay, and be patient.

Camelcamelcamel is a cool site to get an idea of Amazon price history. And I’ve always avoided non-authorized retailers. A lot of them get kinda shady about things like delivery dates and general trustworthiness.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: Hmmm...I'll have to look into these (I don't follow TV news that much). I am trying to stay under $1000 for something between 50 - 60 inches if possible. Normally I'd be okay with spending more, but I am gonna have to buy a GPU upgrade as well for the 4k TV. I have a GTX 1080 in my upstairs PC, but want to keep that there rather than downgrading that just to get the living room setup running okay.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Apparently, Red Dead Redemption 2. Holy hell.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

Apparently, Red Dead Redemption 2. Holy hell.

Yep. I had never played RDR and it was the first game I played on my XB1X. The 4K patch didn't disappoint, even with a game that old. I'm excited as hell for the sequel on XB1X

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: Just saw the video for the gameplay. Looking good.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

@big_denim: If you really want to stay under $1000 like I did, TCL is really the only option right now. The Quantum Dot will be in the $2000 range from what I understand. My TV comes tomorrow, I'm excited. Just kind of disappointed I have to work. I just want to play with the TV, ha ha.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although not entirely on topic, it's close enough I think, I was wondering if anyone has checked out 4K Blu-Ray's and can say how they compare to normal Blu-Ray's.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I have some digital UHD stuff in the Nolan Batman trilogy and one disc, Serenity. I’m not about to buy Pacific Rim or some garbage because it’s pretty garbage.

Anyhow, streaming looks good. Serenity looks good. Blu-ray at 1080p looks totally fine. Most movies these days are digital and NOT native 4k. So while they might get cleaned-up a little, it’s not night and day. The Nolan Batman films, even streaming, looks much cleaner and the black levels are just fantastic.

That copy of Serenity, some shots look amazing. Other shots, sometimes in the same scene, look washed out. It really depends on the film since so few are shot for 4k/HDR.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: I had some shrubbery pop-in, but generally, that game was silky and clean as hell on Xbox One X.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Alright, thanks. I might check it out at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NTM

@big_denim: Hey, just wanted to report. I've only played about ten to thirty minutes of any one game, but I can say that without a doubt it looks a lot sharper and a lot more vibrant. I think in addition to, but probably less so the enhanced detail the image brings, I'm sitting only 5.6 feet away from the 55 inch as I was the 40 inch 1080p, and I can't see any pixels or issue in that regard, but it helps make you feel like you're part of that world more than before. Supposedly, at a vision of 20/20, you should be sitting about 8 feet away for a 55 inch 4K, but my room and how I have things situated doesn't really permit me that 'luxury', but I think I'm happy with the distance I'm at.

Also, although each game I tried looks more impressive, I am honestly most surprised by how last-gens Red Dead Redemption looks. Although that game doesn't support HDR, I started a campfire and saved it to go into nighttime, it brought me to a stormy evening with rain and lighting, and it looked super good. The lighting off in the distance, over the mountains, was impressive, where the flash would make you squint for a second. It's hard to describe the feeling, and though I wouldn't say that you will be 100 percent blown away and impressed by everything you see, it is much improved in every regard and definitely worth the money.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: You’re right about Red Dead. Clean image, smooth frame rate, and the lighting is spectacular.

The night sky looks great, darks at night are rich and pleasantly dark and noon in a sandy patch in Mexico is downright blinding.

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfenstein 2 is in full 4k, 60fps, and is a great game!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

@nutter: I'm playing Fallout 4 right now, and aside from some frame rate issues, it also looks great. The color banding that was in a handful of games on my previous TV is gone too, which is nice. I am borrowing Fallout 4 from my brother after I got an X since it was enhanced. I have it on PS4 and went through everything in the game on there, but I might just trade versions with him. Talking about blinding, I was just fighting some mutants and I look up to the left in the distance, and a human enemy in armor was surveying the streets below where I was. It's nighttime, so he had a flashlight going and it also made me squint like 'who the hell is that that's flashing the beaming light in my face?' Even without HDR, just the quality of the image seems a lot more 'realistic' if you will. Details, not just textures but lights in the distance are a lot more pronounced too.

In Red Dead when the lightning was going and it flashed, making the rain light up was really good looking. RDR almost looks as good as modern-gen games now. The snow and city lights in The Division was a better sight too. I've also played a little Doom, Destiny 2, and The Witcher 3. I'm curious whether I should just keep going and exploring the games I have installed now, or deciding which game to install next. I find Gears 4 to be a little boring, but I should probably check it out. I just recently took Battlefield 1 off, but considering it also just got updated I should probably put it back on. If I put that on, I will probably consider that good enough that I don't need to also reinstall Battlefront II. Hmm. I'm not sure. Maybe I should reinstall Rise of the Tomb Raider.

@devvyboyyy: Yeah, maybe. I already have it on PS4, so I'm not sure I want to buy it again.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I've heard Hitman looks real good.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Man, I love the campaigns, but I think horde mode in Gears 2 and 4 is just outstanding.

Fill a game with friends and it gets tense. I still remember our first win in Gears 2 and only win in Gears 3...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: I'm playing The Witcher 3 as I wait for Gears 4 to install. I love Gears 1 - 3 and even enjoyed Judgment, but four can get kind of boring. I wasn't into the new characters so much as the dialogue was super predictable and cliche. Also, I just tried Battlefield 1; it didn't look as good as I was expecting it to.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Awesome, glad to hear you're liking it! Just hoping I have the willpower to hold out until Black Friday ?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Rise of the Tomb Raider yesterday and it's probably the best use of HDR that I've seen so far. It actually enhanced the atmosphere to a degree. I was shocked at first though because it looks really weird like my brain was telling me it looked wrong as it wasn't something I was used to. Anyone remember how daytime looked back when we had the lunar eclipse? That is kind of what it looked like when I started playing. I am still in the beginning snow part where you run into the wolves. It has an overcast sky, but through those cracks in the sky was blue and it was really vibrant as it really would be. And going into tombs was actually kind of spooky to me.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard Hitman looks real good.

It really does. The Paris level in particular was a "wow" HDR experience for me on par with seeing HDTV for the first time. I don't think there's a better-looking console game out there.

@ntm said:

Although not entirely on topic, it's close enough I think, I was wondering if anyone has checked out 4K Blu-Ray's and can say how they compare to normal Blu-Ray's.

As far as 4K HDR Blu-Rays go, Planet Earth II is a must-own. It's a jaw-dropper TV showcase. Again, 4K to me isn't that big of a leap and isn't leaps and bounds above a standard Blu-Ray, but a good HDR Blu-Ray is the "holy shit" you're looking for.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: Is Hitman good enough to get despite already having it and played it on the PS4? We tried a free month of Game Pass, but I don't think we're going to renew it. We don't want to pay extra for that. And yeah, getting a 4K screen just because it's 4K probably isn't the wisest decision. It's about the quality and what it can do, like HDR that help make the purchase more justifiable.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

@notnert427: Is Hitman good enough to get despite already having it and played it on the PS4? We tried a free month of Game Pass, but I don't think we're going to renew it. We don't want to pay extra for that. And yeah, getting a 4K screen just because it's 4K probably isn't the wisest decision. It's about the quality and what it can do, like HDR that help make the purchase more justifiable.

I mean, I'm maybe not the best person to ask, because it's quite literally my favorite game ever, but if you haven't played the GOTY edition and can pick it up on the cheap, absolutely.

Then again, with HITMAN 2 coming out soon, which should be of similar graphical excellence at a confirmed 4K HDR, it probably makes more sense to just get that. Still, HITMAN is a looker for sure.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: I just saw the review on rtings.com for the Vizio P Series Quantum. It looks like you can't go wrong with the Vizio P Series Quantum, but I am not sure if it's better than the LG C8. I'm asking for clarification. Obviously you'd still have to do more research before deciding as this is only one source, but still. I'll update you on what they say about which is better for gaming. Ratings-wise they gave the C8 higher overall, but for gaming (both for standard, and HDR) they rated the Vizio higher.

@notnert427: I got the GOTY Edition on PS4. I played it after it was all out. Yeah, I'll just wait for two probably.

w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd add in Assassin's Creed Origins as well. Stunning game visually.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: They said '[T]he C8 is better if you play games that are not at risk of burn in. If the games you play have a lot of static content, then the Vizio PQ is better.'

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ntm Thanks for the info. I wonder what the threshold is for burn in. I mean, I can put in some marathon sessions on weekends!

The true blacks of OLED sure sound nice, but I don't know if they're worth the nearly $1,000 price difference. Considering I have to get a new receiver and the Xbox One X too - probably not!

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane said:

@ntm Thanks for the info. I wonder what the threshold is for burn in. I mean, I can put in some marathon sessions on weekends!

The true blacks of OLED sure sound nice, but I don't know if they're worth the nearly $1,000 price difference. Considering I have to get a new receiver and the Xbox One X too - probably not!

I spent hours staring at the LG OLED vs. the Sony X900 I ended up buying and could not discern any visual difference, even with the black levels. The price difference, burn-in, and lacking inputs on the LG were the dealbreaker for me. Quality local dimming can basically achieve what the point of OLED is, at least visually. I couldn't recommend the X900 more highly; it's been awesome.

Mattca123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Gears of War 4, Forza 7, Wolfenstein II, TitanFall 2, Forza Horizon 3, Halo 5, - all the games i own that look great

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.