Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

$250 for a diskless Xbox

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

I got this info from Gamespot. Sigh. With boneheaded decisions like this, Microsoft might as well hand the next generation of console gaming over to Sony.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By frytup

I suspect MS is testing the market for digital-only more than they're actually trying to sell a bunch of these. It's all about the next gen at this point.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They really need to sell these things at a loss to get people used to the idea of an all-digital/streaming future. If this was an Xbox One X and it was $200, then they might have something that might be a bit compelling before the new consoles next year.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Efesell  Online

But...there are Xbox One S bundles WITH disks and a game include for the the same price?

What...is this for?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, without a compelling new service or feature that’s a hard pass for me.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I originally read this as "dickless Xbox", and I think that is much more fitting for this thing at that price.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I originally read this as "dickless Xbox", and I think that is much more fitting for this thing at that price.

"Yes it's true, this Xbox has no disk"

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It is funny to see Microsoft, who had to do damage control for ages because people fought so hard against a console that needed an internet connection to years later releasing a version of the Xbox that quite literally requires one.

The price point is kinda steep and it’s weird that from what I saw they’re bundling Forza Horizon 3 with it (among other titles) instead of Horizon 4, which makes it seem like a real weird bargain bin package.

Also no matter how often and how large they will write “no disc drive” on this thing, I’m certain plenty of parents that have no idea about games and no time to look it up will just grab it off the shelf not knowing what it is. Microsoft has come a long way but man their messaging and branding is still confusing as hell. You have a PS4, PS4 Slim and a PS4 Pro - those all are somewhat self explanatory. Then you have an Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X and now this thing which I forgot the designation but it’s another weird letter combo.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@humanity: It's literally the Xbox One SAD, with the AD standing for "All Digital".

But that acronym is very unfortunate, who thought that was a good idea?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@efesell said:

But...there are Xbox One S bundles WITH disks and a game include for the the same price?

What...is this for?

The Digital Only S includes Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 3 and Minecraft.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get all the hate isn't more versions of a console a + in marketing terms? Think about the dumb spaghetti sauce thing they tell you in every sales seminar.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sub $200 and I would've bought one of these just to get the backwards compatibility. Now I'll just hold out until it drops in price. I also would've rather seen them offer a 6 month sub to Game Pass instead of bundling in those three games.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Regular Xbox One S consoles pretty much cost 200 euros as standard now out here, so €250 seems way high.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

While i understand that a discdrive is not a very expensive component, at this price why would you not want one anyways?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know I really don't like the idea of a discless console. I fear that without competition from sales and pre owned games from actual shops that the pricing for games will be fucked.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Do you mean disc-less, as is without a Blu-ray drive? Or do you mean disk-less, as in without a hard disk drive?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I am actually down for this when the price drops to $170 or so, but yeah, at that price point, I can’t really justify it.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@alexw00d: They mean disc-less as in it has no drive to accept physical media discs like blu-rays or DVDs. Which means that they consider the ability to play Bluray movies on this thing to be worth about $50 of your money, which maybe puts a bit more light on why Sony didn't bother including a 4k bluray player.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whip your disks out if you got 'em.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
    deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The blu ray version currently goes for about $180, so if the digital one is $70 more and isn't smaller lighter more portable like a Nvidia Shield its a real bad deal. Those pack in games are all on game pass too.

Avatar image for koolgoodmiracle
    KoolGoodMiracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really see the issue here. Its a console for a target audience, much like the half step consoles that we have today. I'm sure many people own the S that only have digital games, and I can guarantee many people own the S and have never used the Bluray player either. If someone owns an original xbox one and wants to upgrade to a smaller box but doesn't want to play the X premium, they have another option. Besides, MS has a disc trade in program already in place to receive codes for your physical discs. I understand a lot of people aren't behind the "disc-less future" but the console space is becoming more and more pc like, where many of those users don't have disc drives either. I don't see the problem with more options for more people.

xenolon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has never inserted a single disc into my PS4 or my Xbox One X, I can see the market for this, assuming the pricing makes sense eventually.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drachmalius: They're marketing straight to the Sad boys-crowd that's hugely into emo rap? :D

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

There is no issue

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Efesell  Online

I can't believe it is officially 'Xbox One SAD'.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's some "$600 for a PS3" level stupid on the pricing.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@humanity: It's literally the Xbox One SAD, with the AD standing for "All Digital".

But that acronym is very unfortunate, who thought that was a good idea?

:O

oh my god that's hilarious but also kinda makes me feel bad. all part of their marketing I'm sure: guilt trip people into buying one.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm sure this will drop down near $200 by the holidays, at which point it will be a good deal. I also expect this is more of MS testing the waters for the next generation then expecting to sell a ton of these (I also expect next gen this will be at most an option and that there will still be Xbox consoles with disc drives).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NTM

Yeah, it's kind of dumb, but as some have said they're probably just testing it out to see how well it would do. I think to make it more of a sell though is if it were a digital-only Xbox One X because then you at least have the benefit of higher resolution and perhaps frame rate for games. An S though? Eh. Plus, while I don't care as much for the game part personally since I buy many of my games digitally now anyway, I still like watching movies on disc and hope 4K Blu-rays do well enough to keep going. That said, while I don't love that they're putting this out and at its price point (I mean, I don't really care; it's not for me anyway), it doesn't worry me about whatever they're doing next-gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@efesell: i got my S for $200. It was black friday though

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@ntm: But do you get an accurate view on the willingness to go all digital when the price doesn't make much sense ? There must be plenty of people that would be willing to go all digital, but see a bundle for the same price that includes a game + discdrive and opt for that instead. Or if you didn't care for that game (& the ability to sell it on) you could opt for the version that comes with 3 months of gamepass + xbox live gold instead. Even if you had 0 interest in physical media, people have an interest in keeping some of their dollars in their wallet if they can :)

If you made this thing available for 20-30$ less, there would be an actual decision to be made between 'do i go digital only for the cheaper price, or do i care enough about physical media that i'm willing to pay that 20-30$ extra?' That would make a whole lot more sense to me.

edit: after some thinking, maybe this pricepoint does make sense. They don't want to get the numbers muddied by the amount of people that will just go for the cheapest model instead of having an opinion on digital vs physical. If it sells to internal expectations at this 'worse case scenario', microsoft knows what they can expect at worst in the future. And they can always dial down the price to check the price elasticity of this new model. Yeah, i think they thought this through after all :D

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At that price, i have no idea what they are trying to do with it...

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should be $150.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: Hmm, sorry I don't really understand what you're trying to debate. I mean, I don't disagree with you. I'm curious what you attached onto with my comment to reply since there's nothing you said that I have an issue with. Is it because I said I don't buy physical that much anymore?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@ntm: the part where you said that they are probably just testing it out to see how well it would do made the brainjuices flow here.

I didn't immediatly see how they would be able to see how well this version would do by setting it at this pricepoint.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NTM

@onemanarmyy: Oh, yeah. I don't actually know. It's just one of the reasons that may be why they're doing it, but I'm not confident one way or another. I guess I was just saying that that may be the reason. On the flip side, yeah it wouldn't make a lot of sense because obviously there are those that are clearly saying this isn't worth it, and Microsoft should know that. Then again, maybe if you look at it from a walk in the store and buy it off the shelf kind of thing, which one do most people choose? As well as buying from their site. Maybe they are looking at that, which, again, wouldn't be entirely wise since not everyone buys consoles that way. Maybe they just aren't targetting those that will seek out sales and what have you. It'd be kind of disappointing if they were targetting those specifically not in the know, about bundles/sales, etc.

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By Windir2112

That's waaaaaay too expensive. For $150 I'd maybe consider picking one up just to have for the odd game, but that price is insane when you can get an actual xbox with games for about the same price.

recon_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to get one for 150. 250 is a joke

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.