Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

BC 360 multiplayer require 360 gamertag?

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Hi all,

My brother and I bought GeoW: Judgement to play co-op together on Xbox One. When I log in on XB1, I also log in on 360 since I have the same gamertag.

However, my brother changed gamertags between consoles. GeoW says it won't save any progress unless he signs into a 360 profile. He input the information, but it said recovery was currently unavailable.

In the game, it tells me I have no friends online (even though my brother is online with his XB1 profile), so I assume you NEED a 360 profile to play 360 games online?

If so, does that profile still have to be Gold?

Thanks for any help!

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't have any real knowledge about this topic, but if you have a 360 around I would try having him log into that with his Xbox One profile and see if that allows him to play on both going forward.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@fireburger: On the website for Major Nelson, Gears of War: Judgment is not listed as a game with backward compatibility. He has a PDF file that you can download if you want to check it there. There's also a FAQ over there which mentions that Xbox Live Gold is required for online multiplayer because online multiplayer is a feature of Xbox Live Gold. The website if you want to read is here: Major Nelson website. When I searched for 'gamertag' to see if I could help you with that part of your question on the Major Nelson website, nothing came up, so your brother switching to a new gamertag would not seem to prevent him from playing. It's more about whether Judgment is BC compatible.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccffbb: Thanks to you both for the responses. Unfortunately, we no longer have any 360s around. The game does appear to be BC, though it may not be on that list.

Source: https://gearsofwar.com/en-ca/games/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition/backwards-compatibility

I was able to boot it up and mess around in Survival (or whatever they call it) and also download Gears 1 with an included code. The issue just seems to be with my brother logging in / showing up on my "360" friends list.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccffbb: Gears of War: Judgment is indeed backward compatible and appears on the list on the website you linked to.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@kedi2: Yup, my bad. The PDF file has the game but the table does not.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't quite understand. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a "360 Gamertag" and an Xbox One Gamertag, it's a unified system.

Furthermore I have a friend who bought an Xbox One after never having a 360, and I have successfully played backwards compatible 360 games together with him using his Gamertag, which was never used on an actual 360. For example we played 4-5 levels of co-op Iron Brigade, and we played some versus mode in Soul Calibur II HD. We were both on Xbox Ones using 360 backwards compatibility.

I do think that you need Gold on whatever profile you are using to play online though.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Hmm, that's what I thought too, until my brother had the issues logging in / showing up on my in-game friends list, despite showing up on my system friends list.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

it's possible that the game won't be able to recover his old save data until he signs into the xbox 360 profile with his old data and the game/servers will reconcile the gamertag change. but yeah, as said above the one account should be cross platform but i believe there is some rift where they access Xbox Live in different manners and some features aren't available to 360 users so maybe there is a legacy version of XBL on the backend that we aren't aware of. my guess is that since it's been a while since he's played the game and he's changed his username since then, he probably needs to sign into an actual 360 with his new gamertag and go from there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.