Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Do you know what the "start" and "back" buttons on the Xbox One are called?

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By Joemotycki

Poll Do you know what the "start" and "back" buttons on the Xbox One are called? (282 votes)

Yeah I like calling things by their real names 13%
    If I think about it for a bit it comes to me 13%
    I've heard people say it but I never remember 33%
    They'll always be back and start to me 41%

So none of the new consoles have a "start" button on them, but the Xbox One went particularly crazy with the labeling of their buttons so I was wondering who here is regularly able to remember what the two middle xbox buttons are called. Do you call them by their proper names when mentioning them in conversation? Are you worried about people not knowing what the hell you're talking about if you do? Personally I think its pretty funny how they gave them new names even though they pretty much have the same functions they did on the last console. Putting seemingly random symbols on them doesn't really help me remember what they're called either.

For the record, the button on the left with the boxes is view, the button on the right with the lines is menu. Intuitive, right?

• 
    bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

I never even called it the "back" button on the older controller. Start/Select 4lyfe.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I call them the hamburger and non hamburger button

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hamburger and rectangles right?

photomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I know the real names...refuse to use them because they're really out of place. I don't mind Menu, but View is ridiculous.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i know what they're called, but i still call them start and back

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Those buttons have always been start and select as far as I'm concerned. Microsoft calls one of them the menu button but I'm not sure which one.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@bassguy said:

I never even called it the "back" button on the older controller. Start/Select 4lyfe.

Yeah totally, didn't even know a console called one of its buttons back anyway.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, they're start and select, right? I mean there's no other names for those buttons that could possibly make sense on any controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know what they're called and I would maybe use the actual names if they ever came up in conversation, but I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I have to name them.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I know Microsoft wants to call one of them Menu, but I never remember which one. They are Start and Select now and forever.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Menu and View yeah? I always just call them Start/Select as I do for every other controller regardless of console or official naming.

Calling one of the buttons menu isn't too bad, but view was always a really silly name to me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The menu button is the one that is used as a menu icon on practically all smartphone apps.

In fact if you visit Giant Bomb on your phone, you see the menu "hamburger" every single day.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know their names, but I usually just call them start and back.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, there used to be a "Back" button?

Start/Select is kinda where I'm still at, but I get how those names can seem arbitrary and/or anachronistic. Menu makes lots of sense; View makes a bit of sense in the sense that I'm usually hitting it to view an overworld map or a list of tabs in the Edge browser or something. It wouldn't be the most horrible thing if Menu/View caught on.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
    tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the "two squares" button, and the "three lines" button. That's honestly what I call them. It was a horrible joke at first and now it's just kinda stuck.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Isn't it the "window" and "menu" button? Honestly, I LIKE that there is a "menu" button. That thing is pretty nice. The other one? Meh.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The "Start/Select" naming scheme was invented in an earlier time when "start" actually started the game, and "select" would select a character to play as, for example. Since then, video games have changed, and the names stuck around until recently because they were so entrenched in our brains. Because of this, we take pride in these names, despite the fact that most games allow you to press any ol' button to start a game and that the "select" button more often than not is just another menu button.

I think the Xbox's "menu" button comes closest to meaning what it normally functions as. I think it's safe to say that every video game has some kind of menu, and whatever else other than a "menu" button would you press to bring it up? I think "view" is a better name than "back" for the other button, since it's normally used to 'view' an important part of a menu, such as a map or a character screen.

Personally, for me on the PS4, I still call the "options" button the "start" button because I think "options" is a dumb name for a button that does much more than select game options, which in a video game context might as well be a synonym for "settings." I've stopped calling it the "select" button, however, since it was replaced by a much, much bigger button that also functions as a touchpad. It looks so different from before that it's unrecognizable as a "select" button for me, so I just call it the "touchpad button."

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Moonshadow101

I call them "Start" and "Select" out of habit, but I know what they're really called and frankly, those names are better. The "Select" button, in particular, hasn't been used to select things at any point in my gaming lifetime. It's a totally anachronistic name with no real value. I don't get people who are really into those names, it just seems like silly nostalgia.

I also don't get the frustration people have over the "Hamburger" thing. Every mobile website on the internet, Giant Bomb included, uses three horizontal lines as a shorthand for "Menu." It's a well-established convention.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By petethepanda

I feel irrationally compelled to refer to them as "Lines" and "Squares" and I do know the actual terms, but I usually just stick with Start and Select. (I say Start with the Dualshock 4 as well, but I do say Share for the other as it has a clear, dedicated purpose.)

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this particularly crazy compared to Sonys option, share and mr. trackpad?.

Anyways i usually refers to them as "one of the small middlebuttons" in speech. It gets the job done.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The names seem dumb especially at splash screens when it sometimes says "press Options to start" or something like that. Makes sense in-game because the start button usually called up Menu/Options.

I don't think Sony's share button is weirdly named - it never does anything else than share related things.

Took me days to realize that the trackpad had two buttons and was not just a uniform click, that could have been made clearer.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The buttons are obviously called Lineux and Windows.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

You mean the, "Line-Line-Line" and "Two Overlapping Squares" buttons?

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I know they are Menu and View (or something like that) but for convenience it's Start and Select.

Also, unless i refer to "triggers", It's R1/R2 L1/L2 for me regardless of Platform.

If convienient, i also may refer to XB face buttons with PS symbols or vice versa.

Goddamn hate the WiiU though for switching up the positions/labels (i know it's probably Microsoft that swapped the button names in the first place but since Nintendo did thier own thing between SNES and WiiU [DS/3DS aside] my standard change)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I know both of their names (Menu = Start and View = Back/Select) and I use Menu when referring to that button (as the symbol is quite known and the naming makes sense), but View is still back/select because the only thing that uses it as it's intended purpose (to view more info) is the Xbox Dashboard.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By Justin258

It will always be start and select to me. Drop this "menu/view" nonsense! Same goes for you, Playstation!

I didn't even know that the Xbox called select "back" until several years after getting a 360. Never paid it any attention, and even after learning that I still called it select.

Edit: oh, this is a necro...

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think of options and share as start and select on PS4. I don't have an Xbox one controller.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my head, Lines and Boxes. If I actually referred to them out loud, I'd say Start or Select.

Kronikskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I call it start and select as well but if its call menu is the middle button home then cuz I call it the menu button

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Every controller is start and select to me (thanks NES!). I only recently learned (thanks to some model train game on Xbox Game Pass that I played for a quest) that the left button was called "View." When it said in the tutorial to push the view button, I figured it was one of those two.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it count as a necro'd thread if it's still relevant today?
    Dirt 2 wants me to press the "Start or Enter" buttons, and if i'm telling a friend to press one i'm calling them Start and Select... not that i know what they're actually called.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

You know what? I feel kind of bad about it because it makes me feel like I'm my parents trying to play games. I play on Xbox One X a lot, and still, I often have to look at the controller when a game tells me to press one or the other as the symbols mean little to me. It will always be back/select and start for me. PS4 Dualshock is easier as I never have to press the share button. And um, I don't know which one is which off the top of my head. Which one is the option button? *shrugs*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.