Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Do you like the DRM change?

• 107 results
    kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Edited By kaos_cracker

Poll Do you like the DRM change? (396 votes)

Like the change 57%
    Liked it the way it was 19%
    Doesn't bother me 24%

Am I the only one bummed by this change? The choices that they were making, even though it wasn't viewed well with the internet, was really neat. To be able to play games from the could and not need to worry about the disks or updates and all that crap is probably now gone. I just think it is a drastic change from everything they were saying recently. I wasn't a big fan of the DRM crap, but it was a neat idea.

I still want a PS4 because to me it seemed better with Indie games as well as exclusives, but I still wanted a Xbox One as it was.

• 
    Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By Jazzycola

@mrfluke: I'm bugging you because that's all you've been doing in threads like this. Just keep posting the exact same 10 links anytime somebody says something you don't agree with.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Budwyzer

I never had any plans to buy the xb1 anyway. I didn't have any plans to buy a 360, and didn't until 5 years into its life cycle during a massive sale.

I wanted them to stay their course out of interest in where they would go with it. At first they reminded me of Tony Stark (someone fun and inventive), now they just remind me of Portia De Rossi. :(

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

It was a messaging issue combined with a (minor) policy issue. Basically MS lost control of their narrative this year, and didn't recapture it at E3. They first let the media, then Sony, then internet rage define their message, and its something they should have seen coming. They could have fixed the entire thing with minor changes in vision early in the cycle, and controlling their own message, and for fuck sake having details of very important changes at E3. Here's the compromise I would have preferred:

• 24 hour checkin is only required for using their digital features such as family sharing. Beyond 24 hours all digital content on your xbox (if not DL'd from a family share pool) becomes playable but not shared, and all disk based(either ones pulled off share or ones you installed yourself) require a disk in drive. All games you've shared to a family share program become inaccessible until a new checkin is received from a console that owns that game and is shared. Basically the checkin re-enables those features, but isn't required to play the games you own offline if that's what you want.
    • Specific details on family sharing plan, its uses, and its limitations.
    • Details on the rental and used games programs, how they become de-coupled from an account, and the marketplace therein.

Those are all they really needed up front, but instead they missed the chance, and everyone jumped on the Sony bandwagon because they appealed to the internet asshat with a direct message of "2006 was great, we're keeping everything exactly like that". MS saw that and said well fuck it, why try to change shit if people are just going to bitch anyway. Obviously pre-orders weren't where they needed to be and they lost complete control over the conversation. This was the easiest way to appease the masses, so now we get to wait on the more interesting features. Fortunately I have an adequate PC and no desire to buy either console at launch, so I can just sit back, popcorn in hand, and watch the show.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There's nothing about removing a 24-hour check-in and the functionality of discs that takes us away from the digital future. You should still have access to all the features they promised (unless MS really doesn't know what they're doing, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here).

The big difference is that now the console will be viable for people who can't use that stuff. So, theoretically, everyone wins here.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jazzycola: because i want to see what these people who are complaining about the xbox one now that its more open to all demographics and writing off the people who are anti drm as a vocal minority think when i shove those links in their face, it ticks me off with what those "digital zealots" want in this present time, because in my opinion, it kills options for a underestimated sizable crowd that isn't ready for an always online future and uses stuff like used games and rentals to even experience games, and if the pc crowd had that from the beginning, they would get where im coming from, (im sure i dont need to repeat the facts i threw at those guys faces if you've seen my links and arguments that are not preorder related posted in the other threads)

yes yes, preorders can be canceled, there are no stone cold preorder numbers we the public can see (publishers definitely watch preorders though, i have a buddy that worked for activision who was an analyst for them and said they track preorders, he told me that MW3 based on the preorders, turned a profit within the 1st month of preorders, also, if you really think about it, preorders are kind of similar to pledging on kickstarter, except that data is public), preorders doesn't mean there is a catch all overall winner of the console war, i know this and i get this, but to the absolute very least, absolute very least, those links and the facts i threw at those people at least show that there is a very sizable audience that you can at least extrapolate that isnt ready for a digital always online future, and it was the main reason why MS dropped those policies.

im not asking for you to agree with me, you dont have to, but to see where im coming from to the very least. now lets drop this and end it civil,im sorry for being over aggressive whether it bothered you or not. i could have done better in showing restraint, but the minute i see more selfish zealots complaining and actively fighting people in threads saying it was a vocal minority, im gonna throw the facts in the face and see what they say, as they do not see the present day big picture,

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Of course, this generation started as an easy win for Sony... now its going to get interesting.

Also, I don't know why people say the change in DRM somehow prevents Microsoft from making all those cool ideas. Obviously, they supported the XBox One to be disconnected for hours at the time, so no developer would base their entire game on something that had to work even if it is not online for 20 hours. Games that use "the cloud" to process extra physics or heavy process are nice but, what would such a game look like if I am during a "down" period? Suddenly I have to face half the amount of enemies? Suddenly it will look like a last gen game?

The only exception are games that CAN'T work while offline (games like MMORPG or Diablo 3 on PC), and there is nothing technical on the new XBox that the old one couldn't handle. You also seem to forget Sony already has their one cloud infrastructure in place, so it can match the features one to one if it comes to that...

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@thefridge said:

I want a future where disks aren't in my way. Where i don't have to change a disk.

Not to mention all those server side "cloud" based experiences (like drivatars) are less compelling if ppl aren't connecting online.

I may sound dumb and be against majority, but I really did like where Microsoft was heading. I will still buy both day one though.

I am curious, but... How is it that you think the DRM affects the technical details of those features? Games on consoles can be downloaded on day 1 without the need of DRM, and some cloud features could be cool, but hardly indispensable since the console allowed to play the game offline for some ours (at least, not so indispensable as an Internet connection for online matches). How is it that the DRM and lend/used games policies enabled Microsoft to create those features? Which part of those features will not work now that Microsoft decided to revert the new terms in the EULA?

grimmie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@tonyp2121: if you wanted anyone to lose.. you dont count as a gamer and are scum.. a monopoly situation for the gaming world would be an absolute disaster. dont pretend you are Sony's little cuddlebuddy, theyre still a money hungry usiness machine

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.