Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Getting huge "Duke" nostalgia from the X1 controller

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Man... I didn't notice this until now. But there are quite a bit of similarities between the aesthetic of the Duke controller and the new X1 controller. With the Duke being my favorite controller of all time (I have big hands), this excites me.

Look at the bottom of the handles - they have the same cut off. And in the semi-side views, they both have extreme slopes (more accentuated on the X1). And the "bar" area, where the Duke had that droopy area with the Start/Back buttons, is kind of there but without the actual droop.

What really gets me is the slope of the handle area, one thing I loved about the original Duke. It just feels great in my hands so hopefully the X1 will be the same. The new controller is essentially a mesh of all the old versions plus it's own new features.

bgdiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

The original Duke was awesome, especially when it gained 1337 status (sorry, had to) after the release of the Model S. Those black and white buttons did have horrible placement though.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bgdiner: How did it gain "leet" status?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I like the new fat-bottom-girl controller.

The bumpers do stick out a bit. The front sticks out so far. Those handles do look like the duke, strong and sharp. With the bottom short.. :D

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By BigBoss1911

Couldn't stand that fucking controller

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love the "Duke" controller!!!!

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Duke was my all time favorite controller. It just made you feel like a beast at 12 years old.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Duke was terrible, never could play anything effectively with it

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

The Xbox One controller seems to be slightly slimmer than the current 360 controller, so you won't be getting TOO happy with the new controller. I think the Xbox One controller looks a heck of a lot more like the 360 controller tightened up a bit than the Duke. The duke was bulbous and fat, the current 360 looks also a bit fat and curvy compared to the Xbox One controller.

I think you might be hoping it's more like the Duke than it really is, them both being Black prolly helps trigger that for you :) If you truly have large mitts you might wanna look out for the ps4 controller, which is slightly wider than the last ones and the xbox controllers now.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djjoejoe said:

The Xbox One controller seems to be slightly slimmer than the current 360 controller, so you won't be getting TOO happy with the new controller. I think the Xbox One controller looks a heck of a lot more like the 360 controller tightened up a bit than the Duke. The duke was bulbous and fat, the current 360 looks also a bit fat and curvy compared to the Xbox One controller.

I think you might be hoping it's more like the Duke than it really is, them both being Black prolly helps trigger that for you :) If you truly have large mitts you might wanna look out for the ps4 controller, which is slightly wider than the last ones and the xbox controllers now.

Yeah, I guess in terms of actual size I really have no idea how big it was. I remember the first time I held a 360 controller I was shocked at how small it was. But there are still design elements that are similar to both the Duke and 360 controllers present in the X1 controller. I'm excited to get my hands on it. While it might be a little small, I'm sure I'll get used to it. I do get used to the PS3 controller after a while of using it as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.