Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Help me make decisions: Should I get an Xbox One X?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By hatking

Poll Help me make decisions: Should I get an Xbox One X? (49 votes)

Yes. 73%
    No. 27%

I upgraded to a 4K/HDR television this week. I do most of my gaming on a launch Xbox One, and even it looks incredible on this new television. The bright neon of Crackdown 3 is way richer than the color I was getting out of my previous display and the silky smooth environments of Red Dead 2 are one of the most stunning things I've seen in a game. I'm honestly not that guy who notices minor graphical improvements or dropped frames, but I'm impressed. I'm trying to decide if I go all in.

Is the Xbox One X going to offer a noticeable improvement over the launch one? It seems like one of those things that you have to see in person to actually see the difference. Watching comparisons on YouTube just isn't going to cut it. Anybody here make the upgrade and can speak to it? Is this a super obvious choice?

A few things to consider:
    -As I said, I do most of my gaming on my Xbox One. That's also what I stream movies through. It's not a matter of me using it, because I would definitely spend a lot of time looking at it.

-I'm not a graphics snob. If the difference isn't substantial, I probably won't notice.

-The Fallout 76 bundle is marked way down, and although I have no interest in that game, I will happy take it for the $100 discount.

• 
    Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By Slag

Assuming your budget allows this (especially since you just bought a TV), I definitely would .

I've got a PS4 Pro on a 1080p tv and I notice the difference in that versus base Ps4 just even in simple things like load times and frame rates.

a Xbx is an even larger jump in performance than PS4-> PS4 Pro and you have a Tv that will actually benefit from the hardware. Not to mention the Xbox, in your case, is your primary gaming machine.

Really comes down to what you can afford but if you can, I do think the machine provides meaningful benefits and it sounds like something you'd personally get a lot of use out of.

Cure_Optimism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's been a lot of buzz about new consoles so personally I'd be hesitant to make that investment this late in the console generation. But if you don't care about that and you're getting 100 bucks off then why not. You'll certainly see a big difference between a base Xbox One and an X.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The difference between base Xbone and XB1X is monumental. If you want console based 4K gaming for your nice new TV, that's definitely the way to go. PS4 has better exclusives of course but if xbox is your main jam, go for it. I've been very happy with mine. Lots of games run at Native 4K

I recommend Red Dead Redemption 2 and Hitman 2 for some real showcases. Especially RDR2. That game is jaw dropping in native 4K.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Being a PS4 owner for most of this generation, the general trend for games to function worse and worse on base consoles pushed me towards getting an X because why not have the system that will play mutliplatform games the best it can. Considering you already game on an Xbox I think it will be a great switch. Even without a 4K TV games just tend to look better and the performance is palpable. I had to go through a pretty rough adjustment period from the PS4 interface to the XB1 but you're already set.

I say if you can afford it then definitely go for it.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

In your situation I would definitely say yes, if your budget allows for it.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Depends on how much disposable income you have. Microsoft is going to announce something at E3. How soon it's going to be released is the question.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Xbox One X is leaps and bounds better than a vanilla Xbox.

It’s not essential, but the enhancements are immediately noticable.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Games frame rates are way more solid, load times are shorter, graphics are less blurry and the system is silent.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@hatking: Yeah, it depends on how hung-up you get about graphics. I got lasik, an Xbox One X and an OLED all within a year, so it looks pretty night and day to me.

I’d personally shell out the extra money without hesitation, but everyone’s cost-benefit on this sort of thing will be different.

I do wish that the dashboard was a little snappier with the X, but something like Witcher 3, for an older game, looks fantastic. Hellblade is a marvel, as well. I think a lot of that for me is good HDR implementation.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

i have 1080p tv still, but the differene in performance is significant almost across the board. go fo rit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.