Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

How intrusive is the micro-transaction stuff?

• 68 results
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hey guys, I have a PS4 on pre-order for Christmas but I've been thinking of swapping it to an Xbox One due to the fact that it just simply has more games I want to play at launch (which include Ryse, Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3) the thing is that after watching the quick looks I saw that full priced games were offering micro-transactions, and that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

To those of you who own an Xbox One, how bad is that aspect of the console? Does it ever annoy you?

I also own a gaming PC, anyone think that like last gen quite a few of the consoles exclusives will be on PC?

Thanks.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, I have a PS4 on pre-order for Christmas but I've been thinking of swapping it to an Xbox One due to the fact that it just simply has more games I want to play at launch (which include Ryse, Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3) the thing is that after watching the quick looks I saw that full priced games were offering micro-transactions, and that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

To those of you who own an Xbox One, how bad is that aspect of the console? Does it ever annoy you?

I also own a gaming PC, anyone think that like last gen quite a few of the consoles exclusives will be on PC?

Thanks.

I do not own a XBox one so take it with a grain of salt but I have sen lots of footage as well as streams via twitch. In first party games micro transactions are really every where. It is not only Forza that does it that way. Ryse is the same in this regard. Of course not as badly implemented but you get remembered a lot that you can buy stuff. Third party games are very different in this regard.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just have Forza. Its basically just an option on one of the screens. I dont look for it, so I dont really notice it. Its fucking tacky as hell, but I dont really see a reason to get upset over it,

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bigjeffrey

No Microtransaction in Dead Rising 3 (this game is pretty good btw), KI not microtransactiony just paying for the game up front or buying characters individually if you choose the free version (chart). Have not played Ryse but multiplayer shit and campaign xp boosters seem to be present.

As for the console itself it's snappy but the UI is in a sort of mess right now, party system is not that great, viewing achievements (if your into that shit) is terrible. Don't really navigate the UI much but since i really only play games and the occasional salty bets. Also I hated kinect v1 and think it's stupid but i find using the kinect on shit that would take more than a button push also it turning on/off your tv and shit is pretty sweet.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Yeah, a huge chunk of salt. There aren't really microtransactions anywhere out of the ordinary. Forza and GT both have them....and they're both the same style. Killer Instinct has "microtransactions" in terms of buying characters...but it's not the first fighter to do that. That's that. You can buy gold in Ryse, but I haven't missed an upgrade yet just playing with moderate skill..as upgrades can be purchased by gold and/or valor in the game. That's that...it's not anything extraordinary...

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By monetarydread

I hate to be so blunt about this, but if micro-transactions bother you then you are fucked this generation. Get another hobby because developers have found out that adding micro-transactions significantly increases profits. It does not matter what system you choose (even PC is going to head in this direction), you are going to have to deal with $60 games that offer micro-transactions. All you have to do is look at IOS games. The top-100 list of most profitable games are almost all micro-transaction based games.

At GDC the last couple of years (when developers started making games for the generation) most of the talks were about how micro-transactions, games as service, and online only are the future of gaming.

There are going to be a few outliers, but micro-transactions are your future, no matter what the gaming community thinks of it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Darji

@oginor said:

@darji: Yeah, a huge chunk of salt. There aren't really microtransactions anywhere out of the ordinary. Forza and GT both have them....and they're both the same style. Killer Instinct has "microtransactions" in terms of buying characters...but it's not the first fighter to do that. That's that. You can buy gold in Ryse, but I haven't missed an upgrade yet just playing with moderate skill..as upgrades can be purchased by gold and/or valor in the game. That's that...it's not anything extraordinary...

No they are not doing it the same way. In Forza for example it is in your face you see it all the time that you can buy shit. In Gran Turismo you only can buy these credits only in the PSN store and there is no mention of it in the actual game at all. I do not mind micro transactions at all but I think it is bad if you are getting remembered all the time in the menus that you can do that . And this is what all MS publlished games right now have in common. That in your face feeling.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: No...they don't. Ryse hasn't reminded me once unless I was looking for it...I can't speak to Forza because I haven't seen it..but in either case, you have to buy the credits from the XBLM too.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

@oginor said:

The difference being that GT is mostly buried in the store whereas Forza is in your face every page, sometimes in multiple places per page. It's the presentation aspect that's gross in the X1, not just that it exists.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OGinOR

@liquidprince: Yeah...and that's a semantic difference at best. It's a fan-boy thing, I get it...but lies and misinformation are ridiculous.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By joshwent

I hate to be so blunt about this, but if micro-transactions bother you then you are fucked this generation. Get another hobby because developers have found out that adding micro-transactions significantly increases profits. It does not matter what system you choose (even PC is going to head in this direction), you are going to have to deal with $60 games that offer micro-transactions.

This is the exact line of thought that allows this shit to happen in the first place. We're not helpless tools to be used by the whims of devs/publishers. I proudly refuse to buy these manipulative games, and lots of other folks do too. And if enough of us continue to, it'll change.

If you don't really care, then fine, but if you're just caving to what you think is inevitable... take a fucking stand, man.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor said:

@liquidprince: Yeah...and that's a semantic difference at best. It's a fan-boy thing, I get it...but lies and misinformation are ridiculous.

It's insightful insofar as the fact that it tells you where each respective companies head is at. They both do the same thing, except one is tacky and smacks of desperation, and the other just exists if you want it. They give off very different vibes.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince: Yeah...not really. Again...I get that you (the plural, general 'you') want them to be, but they really aren't.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor said:

@liquidprince: Yeah...not really. Again...I get that you (the plural, general 'you') want them to be, but they really aren't.

They do....

For example the progressions system in GT6 is as good or even better than it was in GT5 2.0. You can easily get 2-6 million for a event later on, you always win cars and so on. In Forza they had to cut half the content because it is a launch title and then they are letting you grind like no one else. But hey you get reminded on almost every menu that you also can buy tokens which lets you buy cars. That is the really huge difference here. The game was made with Micro transactions in mind while GT offers it as an Option. This has really nothing to do with fanboyish arguments. Just watch the Forza 5 quicklook for example. And Again in ryse you also get remembered everytiem you go to the skill selection screen.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rafaelfc

If there is a button in-game that you press to spend real money, it is already too intrusive.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I still think we are in an odd industry where people still preorder and buy season passes. It'd be WONDERFUL if these people who decide to pay more are the ones helping the majority who like a sale, but that's not the case because Forza 5 and Ryse aren't a free to play game. And how do these games benefit the majority of the audience?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

I still think we are in an odd industry where people still preorder and buy season passes. It'd be WONDERFUL if these people who decide to pay more are the ones helping the majority who like a sale, but that's not the case because Forza 5 and Ryse aren't a free to play game. And how do these games benefit the majority of the audience?

Why are pre orders bad? Even if reviews are bad yous till could cancel it most of the time. Kickstarter is basically the same as pre ordering for example. You just show trust and encourage developers by pre-ordering stuff.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: I didn't say they are bad. But people are willing to pay more before hand, the idea of value isn't really as much of a top priority to publishers if they could still milk out customers early on for their own excitement for a product. And that's necessarily a bad thing, maybe some fandom of a series might get you a poster or a nice statue you might enjoy.

But again the idea of value should be top priority with micro transaction models, like base models or coin doublers. Right now reviews and bloggers are saying Killer Instinct does micro transaction right, which has a lot to say about what's wrong with this problem. The full price model that adds coin doubler isn't working.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What microtransaction stuff? That is my answer on how intrusive it is. If you don't press a specific button to go look for it, it is an entirely irrelevant feature.

You get the full Killer Instinct for $20. You get Forza 5 minus the future DLC car packs for $60. You never need to look at microtransactions if you don't want to.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to be so blunt about this, but if micro-transactions bother you then you are fucked this generation. Get another hobby because developers have found out that adding micro-transactions significantly increases profits. It does not matter what system you choose (even PC is going to head in this direction), you are going to have to deal with $60 games that offer micro-transactions. All you have to do is look at IOS games. The top-100 list of most profitable games are almost all micro-transaction based games.

At GDC the last couple of years (when developers started making games for the generation) most of the talks were about how micro-transactions, games as service, and online only are the future of gaming.

There are going to be a few outliers, but micro-transactions are your future, no matter what the gaming community thinks of it.

I'm sorry but no, I cannot accept this and won't stand for it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spraynardtatum

Depends on if you're a real human being or a monster with no decency.

The defenders will tell you that microtransactions are optional and there's no reason to be upset about them. And what an option it is!!

Stubstub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Stubstub

I've been playing Forza without doing any of the microtransaction stuff or it bugging me. I could see where if you wanted to race the crazy high end cars on the first day you would be screwed, but I'm having fun working my way up through the normal cars for now. I got the combo breaker pack for Killer Instinct because I played the demo with Jago and liked the game. I think Powerstar Golf has microtransactions as an option to get new equipment instead of earning in-game currency, but I haven't felt any need to investigate that option.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ericdrum

@darji said:

For example the progressions system in GT6 is as good or even better than it was in GT5 2.0. You can easily get 2-6 million for a event later on, you always win cars and so on. In Forza they had to cut half the content because it is a launch title and then they are letting you grind like no one else. But hey you get reminded on almost every menu that you also can buy tokens which lets you buy cars. That is the really huge difference here. The game was made with Micro transactions in mind while GT offers it as an Option. This has really nothing to do with fanboyish arguments. Just watch the Forza 5 quicklook for example. And Again in ryse you also get remembered everytiem you go to the skill selection screen.

In FM5, I notice the "doubler" option when I start races and I can see that every time that I buy a car, I can purchase it with tokens or CR. If you call that "getting reminded on almost every menu", then I guess it really is that horrific and you can't enjoy the games due to microtransacations. And if you've played another Forza game, they gift you a million credits for each one. There is never anything in the UI that pops up and asks you or reminds you about pouring more money into the game that you have to click through or something like that.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BRich

@ericdrum: Yea I actually feel like the 3 million gifted credits may have been too much. It took me hours to spend it all and I have a car for every event already. Much less to work towards now other than completing every racing series.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nekusakuraba: They are not intrusive, they are there if you want them but if you don't you can avoid them.

They way the GB crew describes them is way over the top, anything that is a minor annoyance to anyone else is "disgusting" or "garbage" to the GB crew. It's just an optional page/menu you can go to, i'm not-sure if the GB crew realizes, but you have to make the micro-transactions easy to find for people who do want them. Just because they have no interest in buying a car or extra XP doesn't mean the devs should bury the menu so it's hard to find for the people who do.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ericdrum

@brich: Agreed. I'm thinking of just blowing the lion's share on a couple of expensive cars now to make me not feel so wealthy. I was one of those people who saw 2 million credits for a car as sooooo far away to attain, yet I had enough credits to progress and get new cars. I was okay with the economy because I enjoy the grind. But others play the game differently and I get their complaints.

The game has a lot of niggles that can drive people away. I still do not like the career and would love for something more.... fun and compelling. You have to enjoy the game for the driving experience and buying/tuning/customizing your cars. If you can enjoy the game for that(which I really do), then it's tons of fun. Turn 10 has their work cut out for them in the next game though.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ericdrum: I currently have 2 million credits from the first reward tier of 1 million credits, and I earned another million on my own. I really think most people complaining about the lack of credits are those like the GB crew who play on easy with all assists on.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasar7 said:

@ericdrum: I currently have 2 million credits from the first reward tier of 1 million credits, and I earned another million on my own. I really think most people complaining about the lack of credits are those like the GB crew who play on easy with all assists on.

Yes.

But still, that's why removing the gift cars is a dick move. Basically, if you play with all assists off it's acceptable, but removing cars for winning events means that if you're not great at the game, you are going to feel the pressure to spend money a lot more.

That's bad design, period. You sell microtransactions to the good players, who are the ones deep enough down the rabbit hole to dump some more money on the thing. If you're pushing MTs more to the more lightweight players, your economy design is backwards.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I've only bought Killer Instinct and Dead Rising. Haven't seen any microtransactions in either unless you count paying for characters a la carte instead of paying for all at once which I don't because I just payed for them all at once. It's fine. Don't want microtransactions don't buy Forza or Ryse. Word is you shouldn't anyway so that works out.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks.

Micro transactions are not exclusive to the XBone they are pretty much everywhere. As for the games you mention Forza is the only one you mention you can argue Microtransaction get in the way of the gameplay. As for Ryze, DR3 and KI not really.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noelveiga: I get that. I think this game has to be a lot of different things to a lot of different people. We all seem to play this game very differently and there are huge, passionate groups people that do X or Y mostly and that's what they care about. So for whatever the reason, Turn 10 didn't do a great job at appeasing us all and making it fun/compelling for all of the ways that people enjoy the game. I still think that if you raced with more assists on, you could still buy cars fine(just not the McLaren P1 type of cars). The rate just isn't as fast. It's not THAT grindy, IMO. The side effect of having less cars in this version (which I think is why they don't give them out after each level/milestone) has made me appreciate my smaller pool of cars that I own much more. So I've enjoyed that much more about this game. I had so many cars in 4 that I just didn't focus on my particular cars and tweak them and stuff.

So I'm way off topic now. At any rate, for the games that I play so far on the Xbox One, I don't see microtransactions at all being offensive or in my face. I still haven't put an extra penny into DR3 or Forza 5 and my enjoyment has not been affected one bit.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think MS should tone down the amount of obvious in your face micro transactions. But, with that said people will get used to it to some extent, we all learn what to look at and what to ignore. I think in time we might not notice 'mt' consciously as long as they are not shoved in our faces and as long as the game play is interrupted less often.

Many people didn't like DLC in 2006, but now we accept it. When DLC is done well we praise it, and only rage when it is done poorly or looks too much like stripped content. With that said, I think MS needs to admits their will be price sensitivity this time. With Sony selling games over a wide price range and the indies they do have likely being cheaper, they are making an issue MS has to pay very close attention to. MS needs to not make itself look like the Nickel & Dime machine that has $60 games, $20 passes/XP doublers, and every game having some 2nd money system. All those thing can be done, but they should avoid doing them all at once. I think for all MS apologies their are very much going forward with their plans from last May, they want to monetize the beejesus out of games, that is where they see the money coming from...but we need to tell them "NO F__KING WAY!"

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nasar7

@noelveiga: True, but I think that would be more accurate if Forza 5 was F2P. That way casual players would just fart around grinding out credits while hardcore racing fans would shell out some money for their favorite cars. However, it's the opposite. Because Forza 5 is not F2P, the players that are already deep down the rabbit hole will see the microtransactions as something they don't need or want as the whole purpose they bought the game is to play it and win the various challenges. But the more casual fan of racing games might not care a whole lot about spending 3 bucks for those one or two cars they really want. I don't know, it's sort of a mess in that regard of "who is this for?" But yeah, taking out the car rewards seems like an oversight.

Edit:

@ericdrum Not to be elitist, but should a racing sim necessarily be all things to all people? If someone plays with all assists on and doesn't turn the realism up as they get better, maybe they should just stick to NFS Rivals. It just seems like that person would be happier with a more arcade-style racing game. Hence, the creation of Forza Horizon. I think that's the point of what GT tries to do with it's license system, actually teach you how to drive well, so you can get more out of the game.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's disgusting for a full price game to bleed you dry with "micro" transactions. It's fine for $0-$30 game, but with full price I expect a full game. Expansion DLC is fine, but it must be expansion not integral part of the main game experience / plot.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ericdrum

@nasar7: My comment was more directed at the career racers vs. the MP only racers vs. hot lappers vs. drift racers vs. drag racers vs. car people who want all of a certain make... etc. Those are all hardcore players, but they all care about different aspects of the game more than others. If you go look at the Forza forums, they are all vocal about the shortcomings in their particular area.

I am all about introducing new drivers to more sim-like racing and getting them to ease into games like this and I think GT6 looks like it's doing a great job at that. But as far as completely catering to people who don't want to learn/grow in these racers, I completely agree. There are other games out there for you to enjoy.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They sort of ruined Forza for me. Also, just from a hardware/controller perspective I like the PS4 a lot more. Everything is a lot snappier to me. If you're only getting system, I'd say to just get a PS4, it'll have awesome games eventually.

ragintaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ragintaft

It's no more intrusive than it was last generation. Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf has had microtransactions for player upgrades for years now. It is more prevalent, just because it's in a higher percentage of games now. This is mostly due to the fact that the library is so small, but it is an increasing trend in the industry at large.

I've played through a few hours of Forza, and I haven't felt like the microtransactions are intrusive or gross. I've never had a pop-up saying "Hey, why don't you plop down some real cash on some credzzzzz?" like a lot of mobile games will do. My gameplay has not been gated by the choice of waiting real time or paying money. That's when microtransactions are intrusive and actually disrupt game experience. In Forza, it's an option, it's there, and it's probably too expensive for what they're offering. However, I most likely will not spend any more money than I did for the disc and will be fine. (I am admittedly a very casual Forza player.)

Assassins Creed IV also has a few dumb microtransactions, like paying to have every collectable revealed on the map (which kind of removes the fun of climbing the towers). That option was advertised on the main menu of the game last time I logged in. I played through 20 hours of that game, and once again, thoroughly enjoyed it without spending an extra penny.

Honestly, I just do not get the outrage at just the mere presence of microtransactions anywhere. I personally think they are pretty dumb, and I've never spent money on them because I do not think they are worth it, unless it's a piece of DLC that I feel adds value to the game experience. That's it! The only way a game like Forza or Assassins Creed or Tiger Woods or any game can "bleed you dry" is if you opt into paying for those add-ons. If the base experience doesn't seem worth it, then don't buy that game, plain and simple.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ragintaft said:

It's no more intrusive than it was last generation. Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf has had microtransactions for player upgrades for years now. It is more prevalent, just because it's in a higher percentage of games now. This is mostly due to the fact that the library is so small, but it is an increasing trend in the industry at large.

I've played through a few hours of Forza, and I haven't felt like the microtransactions are intrusive or gross. I've never had a pop-up saying "Hey, why don't you plop down some real cash on some credzzzzz?" like a lot of mobile games will do. My gameplay has not been gated by the choice of waiting real time or paying money. That's when microtransactions are intrusive and actually disrupt game experience. In Forza, it's an option, it's there, and it's probably too expensive for what they're offering. However, I most likely will not spend any more money than I did for the disc and will be fine. (I am admittedly a very casual Forza player.)

Assassins Creed IV also has a few dumb microtransactions, like paying to have every collectable revealed on the map (which kind of removes the fun of climbing the towers). That option was advertised on the main menu of the game last time I logged in. I played through 20 hours of that game, and once again, thoroughly enjoyed it without spending an extra penny.

Honestly, I just do not get the outrage at just the mere presence of microtransactions anywhere. I personally think they are pretty dumb, and I've never spent money on them because I do not think they are worth it, unless it's a piece of DLC that I feel adds value to the game experience. That's it! The only way a game like Forza or Assassins Creed or Tiger Woods or any game can "bleed you dry" is if you opt into paying for those add-ons. If the base experience doesn't seem worth it, then don't buy that game, plain and simple.

And when they gate game progression behind a pay wall for a game that you paid a full price for? It might not be the case now, but in the future who knows. I agree that "cheat" micro transactions are dumb and not needed, because they take the feeling of accomplishment out of the game (for me at least). I guess there is demand for them, otherwise these options wouldn't be in games would they?

I think DLC is fine, I'm willing to pay for extra content if I like the game.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to point out that I used to charge the patrons at my amusement park $300 for an umbrella in Roller Coaster Tycoon when it was raining because it was profitable and I made a killing. There is such thing as asking too much even if some people are okay with it. Even after buying an umbrella for the absolute maximum price there were a couple dumb green smiley faces in my park oblivious to the wringer I was putting them through. They just liked the rides and were happy not to have pneumonia.

The demand for microtransactions was created out of thin air, what used to be cheat codes and character/weapon skins are now booster packs and....character/weapon skins for a little bit of paper. We're just supposed to accept them more and more as time goes on. I don't accept them (especially in retail games) and I think people are working against their own best interest if they make excuses now.

I'd rather not have every game release from here on out be a debate over how acceptable one shitty plan is over the other. They're all bad. It's like that South Park. Saying GT6's microtransactions are okay and Forza 5s aren't is like choosing the Giant Douche over the Shit Sandwich. They're both bad. They're a recent phenomenon in video games that are making their way into more and more titles and therefore intrusive by nature.

At the very least I'd like games with microtransactions to have it clearly marked on the box so people know what they're buying into. That way the people that suffer from needing to collect everything know what to avoid and the people that love this stuff can complete the horrible cycle that they desperately want.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To the OP's original question: just get the one that has the games you want. Microtransactions are not an Xbox One exclusive problem. It's not like Sony won't ever put microtransactions in their games. Besides, most of the games you play will probably be third-party and they will have the same monitization systems on both consoles.

ragintaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ragintaft

I agree with you. Gating game progression behind a pay wall just doesn't work for a full priced game, and if that's the case for a game, it is probably a ripoff and worthy of outrage. I'm glad that it hasn't gotten to that point for most games (it seems like Crimson Dragon might be a sad exception), and I'm hopeful that most publishers will realize that is a bad business model in the long run.

My point was more about the outrage towards any type of microtransaction.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@monetarydread said:

I hate to be so blunt about this, but if micro-transactions bother you then you are fucked this generation. Get another hobby because developers have found out that adding micro-transactions significantly increases profits. It does not matter what system you choose (even PC is going to head in this direction), you are going to have to deal with $60 games that offer micro-transactions.

This is the exact line of thought that allows this shit to happen in the first place. We're not helpless tools to be used by the whims of devs/publishers. I proudly refuse to buy these manipulative games, and lots of other folks do too. And if enough of us continue to, it'll change.

If you don't really care, then fine, but if you're just caving to what you think is inevitable... take a fucking stand, man.

Accepting the future of gaming does not necessarily mean I agree with it. When you are talking about individual games, sure, not buying it MIGHT change something, but the evidence shows that the majority do not care enough for developers to change at this point. When it comes to a system though, there is no point in choosing one system over another based on launch game in-app-purchases. Link: Sony boss defends micro-transactions. The inclusion of IAP depends on the game developers and is not some decree passed down from the system manufacturer. Since both systems have been designed from the ground up for inclusion of IAP, and you see the success of IOS games (a lot of them charging for the game then requiring IAP) making more money than traditional $60 retail games, you will see developers heading in this direction. Its just simple economics.

The fact is, game development is more expensive now than it has ever been and, adjusting for inflation, games cost less than ever to purchase. Developers have to make their money back somehow and this industry is a business (ie. not art) that is driven by profit first and foremost, so if publishers make more money with IAP then why would they not try it out? It started with horse armour (which actually sold well), then moved to map packs (which almost doubled the profits on games like COD), then seasons passes, and now IAP. You have to realize that the people who are against IAP are the people who grew up without them in the first place. We live in a world where there are older people with enough disposable income to not care about spending an extra $20 on a game that they are invested in, and a younger generation that has known nothing but free-2-play / IAP focused business models. The people who care enough to post on games forums are actually a minority when it comes to the industry as a whole, so the consensus on a forum is meaningless to most developers making AAA titles.

Now I am not saying that IAP cannot be a shady business practice. We are in a learning phase right now and things are going to get worse before they get better. So I agree that people do need to speak with their wallets when games abuse IAP. Yet, again, MOST games in future are going to be built around that model because of how successful it is. That is why I say that people who hate IAP are fucked this generation and should find a new hobby if that bothers you. Its inevitable for the next three years or so.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By flippyandnod

I wouldn't switch consoles based upon launch games. They mean very little. I probably wouldn't switch based upon microtransactions either because as mentioned above, you're going to see them on both platforms.

Ryse may be better than reviews say, but no one is going to be any more interested in playing it a few months from now than anyone was interested in playing the various Ridge Racers, or PD Zero or Kameo much after launch. And KI definitely isn't going to be around long, the fighting community will blow right by it. So if you are considering not buying a PS4 because the launch games don't appeal to you I think I would consider not buying either of them if I were you.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Microsoft is going to be worse about microtransactions. Prove me wrong Microsoft.

Obviously WiiU is the best bet if you want as little of this nonsense as possible.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum: If by "this nonsense" what you mean is "videogames", then I whole-heartedly agree.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor said:

@spraynardtatum: If by "this nonsense" what you mean is "videogames", then I whole-heartedly agree.

haha but Mario

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor said:

I couldn't give two shits what other people think and or want to imbue on the console. I have both consoles, and Microsoft already has my money. I don't have to pretend to like some shitty design choice that Microsoft has implemented into their system for fear of coming across as a fanboy. If you want to turn a blind eye to the disgusting in your face microtransactions that Microsoft is shoving down your throat, by all means do so. But don't try and convince other people that it's honey when it's really just a pile of shit.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't notice it at all. It actually pisses me off that reviewers shit on Crimson Dragon for this, and that's not even a thing at all. They made it sound like the game gated your progress and you had to pay to get through or some shit.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince: Yeah...no..again...as others have said on this thread, they're not a big deal. You can pretend to be wounded by it all or outraged, but honestly, you're taking it a bit hard and blowing it way out of proportIon. Also..if this bothers you...how do you get through your day otherwise? How do you read this site, with the ads everywhere, begging you to spend money?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor: Uh... yeah. You apparently have a tendency to see only what you want to see since there are just as many people complaining that it is annoying and detracts from the overall experience. And no, I'm not acting all wounded or outraged. I already said that I don't care if they do it or not but that doesn't mean that I don't see it as a crappy move on Microsoft's part, regardless. Just because I don't care if its a shitty move doesn't mean that I can't recognize it as such. Also I get through my day perfectly fine because I don't have people running up to me in the streets shoving ads in my face, and I'm a premium member on this site which removes ads altogether. For other parts of the internet there exists adblock.

Oh, and don't turn this into a system wars thing. If Sony did the in your face mircotransaction thing, it would be equally disappointing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.