Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

I'm thinking on buying an Xbox one this fall. Am I insane?

• 100 results
    toma2598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

First of all I'm not creating a console war thread. I have no bias at all. I'll play on whatever system will give me the best experience.

For a bit of context,I have always been a console gamer, only recently getting a gaming pc. While I bought my ps3 first, my Xbox 360 is by far my most played console, I even bought two. I don't care about the resolution controversy, I gamed on an standard def TV for half of the last gen and i still use it even after going hi def. I enjoyed the single player exclusives quite a bit more on ps3 and multiplayer more on my 360. I don't care a huge amount for obscure indies, but I do play some of the more notable releases. Please Don't go on about portable consoles being the best option right now, i own both psvita and 3ds. I have been considering ps4 until now but I have changed my mind quite recently. I even thought about a wii u for a while.

So, convince me (or not).

Should I buy the Xbox One?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Forza yesterday and it looked completely terrible.

Infamous on the other hand looks incredible. I will still end up owning both consoles.

Take that for what you will.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You didn't really explain why you've changed your mind on the PS4 in favor of the X1.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

We can't decide for you; look at the games, the price, the prospective, and decide for yourself.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Infamous on the other hand looks incredible.

What?

toma2598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are not insane for considering buying an expensive electronic device.

You are insane for asking strangers on purchasing advice on an expensive electronic device.

toma2598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: i guess so, i'm just incredibly indecisive about these things

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@extomar: I just recently came out of a year long coma, would the Roku be a good device to catch up on my TV shows?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theking said:

@xalienxgreyx said:

Infamous on the other hand looks incredible.

What?

I don't know how to describe it any more clear.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I think the Xbox One has more potential than the PS4. At this point that potential has not manifested itself. I would not buy one until it has.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By pyromagnestir

No you aren't insane, provided you're thinking of buying it to play games, not to do something weird like have sex with it.

toma2598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oraknabo

For context. I had a PS2 and loved it, never owned an XBOX. Then I skipped the PS3 and got a 360 last gen and never once regretted it.

I haven't bought either of the new ones yet, but I think even if I was given a choice between the two for the same price, I think I'd pick the PS4.

Nobody can know which one will have the better game library, so it's hard to decide on that, but I have a better feeling about the PS4 like I did about the 360. I'm not at all interested in all of the non-game media stuff in the XBOX or the Kinect. I also like Playstation Plus Instant Game Collection and already have a Vita, so i'm excited about how the two interact. Also, if the Gaikai/Now stuff works out, I think that adds a lot of value.

toma2598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo: i already make use of the psplus deals myself, how are they on ps4?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toma2598: x1 is a good machine but lets wait and see what e3 is like. who knows, maybe nintendo will blow everyone away this year.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toma2598

I think the main issue with the latest consoles is that they don't have a sufficient enough library to justify them yet, unless you're really into playing one of the few games that have been released so far. Nothing released for either console has been compelling enough to tempt me to shell out any money just yet.

That said, Sony have a considerable amount of good-will with me, and it seems sales are going very well overall, so I think that's the more likely purchase, long term, if I had to choose just one. I'm not sure what it was that changed your mind on PS4, as you didn't really give enough details there. A deeper explanation of that would probably help. With you owning a Vita already, there'd be some very clear benefits to it with the PS+ free games, at the very least.

Personally, I'd just stick with the gaming PC for now. Just plug that into your TV and get a nice wireless keyboard and mouse setup, and a few controllers. Out of the three, it's easily the premier place get the best of every world, limited exclusives aside.

Overall though, if you're on the fence about either console, I think it would be best just to wait a while.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EXTomar

@connerthekewlkid said:

@extomar: I just recently came out of a year long coma, would the Roku be a good device to catch up on my TV shows?

As someone who is completely and totally just a random dude who is hip and loves high tech electronics and completely and totally not someone hired by any vendor to bolster their electronic reputation by planting information: The Roku is a reliable and inexpensive device suited to all of your television and streaming needs! I'm not saying it is awesome but it is pretty awesome!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You know as much as I dislike anything microsoft right now , what you should do is wait for E3 and see what games are announced for both consoles , as it looks Xbox is going the multiplayer route more than PS4 , but things could change. Also look at the exclusives right now and see which tickles you fancy.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Nope. Your not insane at all. I would say keep in mind when buying any new console that you're buying into it's future and not necessarily it's current catalog. Whether or not you get a Ps4 or Xbox one is superfluous outside what exclusives you're interested in. So don't let anyone condemn you for suggesting getting one. As far as games, I don't have any firsthand knowledge out side of Titanfall (I own it on Pc), but Dead Rising 3 looks cool. Those are the only two worthwhile exclusives that immediately come to mind. In the end you'll just have to take a chance and bet on which console you'll think will have an exclusive library you're more interested in.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

You know as much as I dislike anything microsoft right now , what you should do is wait for E3 and see what games are announced for both consoles , as it looks Xbox is going the multiplayer route more than PS4 , but things could change. Also look at the exclusives right now and see which tickles you fancy.

That's probably the best idea at this point.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm sure either of the consoles will be a fine choice by the end of the year. Titanfall is rad, but if you've got a gaming PC that doesn't really matter.

I mostly just wanted to say Titanfall is great again.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@toma2598: No. I personally think it is too early to buy into either system of this generation, but I don't care for Infamous and I have a fairly powerful PC.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Thiago123

@toma2598: I bought a XBONE at launch. At the time I was on the fence based on price and the console's horsepower but ultimately the games that I wanted to play were on the XBox so that's what I went with (Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, Titanfall). I felt confident that MS would turn around on the indie stuff like they have because the pressure was on them.

I've played some third party titles like AC4 and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and they play perfectly fine. Like you, I'm not one of these crazy videophiles that's going to make a decision on resolution: OMG PS4 has 1080p, that's like 100 more ps than the BONE version. But if that is your thing great. I think in a year or so everything will be comparable so the decision will come down to, which of the first party IPs do you want to play the most.

So with that said, here are some more details (pros and cons I guess) based on my time with the system:

The TV stuff, voice control, etc...all that stuff that seemed like a gimmick, is actually pretty great. Saying "Xbox, On" is a little spotty, but once it's on the voice commands work well. I have a baby daughter so it is really nice to be feeding her and when I realize the DVR/TV remote is on the other side of the room, to just say "XBox, Watch ESPN" or "XBox, Volume Down" is awesome. I bought the $25 media remote, and since everything runs through the xbox (except recordings on the DVR), its about as cheap of a universal remote as you can get.

With that said beyond the voice commands and IR Blasting (I think the Kinect handles it??), the Kinect is pretty useless and I doubt I'll ever get a Kinect game again. I wish there was a different setup for the mic and that they had a cheaper kinect-less version.

Also, being able to snap in TV is awesome if you are a sports fan. I loved having college basketball on the side while running through a track on Forza. The only downside is that the XBone always gives priority to the TV sound, so you can't really do that for a single player game that you are trying to understand the story. I hope they patch the option to switch sound focus in at some point.

A lot of the stuff that worked really well and easily on 360, like parties, the blades via the guide button, etc, are much, much more clunky on the XBone. You are constantly switching through apps, trying to snap things in, etc. Very frustrating, but they seem to be working on it.

OK I guess that's it. I switched back to my 360 to play through Dark Souls 2, and for a while I regretted that I didn't wait on my XBone because they soon had a price drop/titanfall bundle, but ultimately I spent plenty of time with it after purchase.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

These threads are so dumb. Like fuck if there's games you want to play on the system get it. Don't base your financial choices on other peoples opinions. Weigh the pros and cons yourself and see if it's right for you.

I'm just sick of seeing these threads. "Convince me to buy this" or "Should I get this?" or "Am I insane/dumb/stupid for getting this?" or "Would it be a mistake to get this?".

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

If the Xone has the games you're interested in, you're probably not insane for wanting to get that one. Would be kinda crazy to go for the PS4 then. The PS4 surely is the technically more powerful device, but from previous generations we should've learned that power is largely irrelevant. Good developers make due with what they have to work with, and it really only comes to the creativity and competence of the people developing software for the machines.

The most sane thing to do at this point would be to wait until both consoles have larger libraries though, but if you really want to play the games on one of it, and are willing to spend $500 on that, go for it.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would wait until e3 before really making a console buying decision.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew

If that's what you want, that's totally cool. Don't let random internet strangers tell you what to do. Both systems have their own advantages and disadvantages, and appeal to different people for different reasons. I'd probably lean more towards the PS4, but that's me. You're not me. You're someone else, I hope.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@shinjin977 said:

@toma2598: x1 is a good machine but lets wait and see what e3 is like. who knows, maybe nintendo will blow everyone away this year.

YOU KNOW IT BABY

No Caption Provided

Also yeah it pretty much depends on what games you wanna play.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You said this fall. If you want an XB1 then buy it. It's your money.

DiamondDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I wouldn't buy any of the new systems, simply because there's no games out that interest me. I think you'd be much better holding off until E3 before making a decision.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I really don't know if it's healthy to throw down $500 for an entire system if you need a community of strangers to decide for you. I still prefer the Xbox One myself because I know from experience that Microsoft tends to put out more games than Sony that I enjoy.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By spraynardtatum

Wait until they change their terms and conditions agreement or remove the Kinect. It's completely idiotic to put that camera in your living room before there are some serious changes to their terms. Right now you're basically giving Microsoft, and anyone they choose, right to do whatever they see fit with anything you do or say in front of it. Plus they want to use it for ads.

At the very least read the conditions before you make a decision.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/LiveTOU

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want a Xbone, go get one. Life is way too short, enjoy the little & big things while you can.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Franstone

Go for it.
    It's a great system.
    I have no regrets.
    Having lot's of fun with Titanfall, Forza, Dead Rising, Fifa, Plants Vs. Zombies and Trials later today.
    As much as people love to argue against it and resolution-gate, knowing DirectX12 is coming is pretty exciting.
    Controller is great, Live is great, plenty of good games will be coming for both systems.
    Sony's IPs just happen to do nothing for me.
    If I had piles of cash laying around I'd probably get a PS4 as well, just not before the Xbox.
    Also have a nice PC and the WiiU.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#37  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

You're not insane at all, but it's a bit hard to advise you on a purchase without knowing more about what you value in a system. Do you have a lot of cash to burn? How many titles are there on the One that you actually want? Is there a specific advantage to you buying those games on the One as opposed to another system? Do you value features like the Kinect? These are the sort of questions that go into a purchasing decision like this and these answers are going to be different for every person. You kind of just have to work out what the answers to these questions are for you before you or anyone else can decide what console you should get.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
    DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'd be insane to buy an Ouya.

Why on earth would it be insane to buy either an XB1 or a PS4?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By toowalrus

Oh my god, buying a game console? Only a crazy person would do that.

OneFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OneFreeman

Guys, guys, what should I have for dinner? I kinda want a curry but I've got a lasagne too. Which should I go for? Kinda want the curry, am I insane?! GUYS!?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GaspoweR

@toowalrus said:

Oh my god, buying a game console? Only a crazy person would do that.

Yeah, man! The sane choice is to build a PC, right? Right, guys?......

Guys?...

Anybody?....

I...built one last year and it was fun... No, don't run away, come back!!!

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Syed117

Base your decision on the games, not the platform.

I bought both at launch. In terms of exclusives, it's not even a competition at this point. I have ZERO doubt that the PS4 will have incredible games, but it's just not there yet. Killzone and Infamous are both average at best. They look incredible but they are shockingly average. PS Plus is obviously worth it overall, but there have been very few exceptional games for the PS4 that have been free.

Of all the games to come out so far, Infamous is by far the most disappointing. Maybe Forza, but I haven't regretted paying $60 for a game in a long time. Terrible writing and dialogue, mediocre story, and gameplay that couldn't be more last gen. I'm enjoying it for what it is, but compared to other open world games, it's average at best. Just keep moving from area to area, do the same 6-7 things, district showdown, and repeat over and over. I don't think I've ever played an open world game that is this repetitive.

I met a friend this weekend and I thought I would share our conversation. He's a die hard Sony fan. Like the basement dwellers on neogaf that don't actually care about games, just which machine has sold more units.

I asked him what he had been playing since launch. He said Killzone. This is a guy who has never played any of the previous games in the series. He's the kind of die hard fan that convinces himself that mediocre franchises are amazing simply because they are on a Sony platform. He loves shooters and denies titanfall's existence because it's on the XB1. His response? "Titanfall 2 will be on PS4". When I said he could be playing a fantastic new shooter that a lot of our other friends are all enjoying, he has no response. The very idea of buying an XB1 is insanity.

Recently he said he loved Infamous for PS4. When asked how he liked it compared to the first two? He said he never played them.

Just don't be one of those guys. Play the games, not the platforms.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're gonna get thrown in the looney bin for thinking like that, you crazy nutcase.

Seriously though, judge for yourself. E3 is 52 days away, maybe wait for that before making your decision?

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you own a vita, then a PS4 and PS+ is such an obvious choice it practically beats you over the head. The value is huge. Or don't, whatever.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xyzygy

I am kind of against buying consoles when they're new because of the inevitable drought. But by the time Fall comes around you'll have a nice library to pick from, especially when all the 2014 games are released. I say go for it.

@syed117: Man, those people are the worst. I will never understand blindly defending a company like that. It's like being an unpaid spokesman or something.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sdharrison

@syed117 said:

Base your decision on the games, not the platform.

Why is it so awful to critically think about what platform you're purchasing? Since when did debating a piece of hardware make somebody a fanboy?

I bought both at launch.

Seems like you have some money to burn.

In terms of exclusives, it's not even a competition at this point. I have ZERO doubt that the PS4 will have incredible games, but it's just not there yet. Killzone and Infamous are both average at best. They look incredible but they are shockingly average. PS Plus is obviously worth it overall, but there have been very few exceptional games for the PS4 that have been free.

All subjective.

Of all the games to come out so far, Infamous is by far the most disappointing. Maybe Forza, but I haven't regretted paying $60 for a game in a long time. Terrible writing and dialogue, mediocre story, and gameplay that couldn't be more last gen. I'm enjoying it for what it is, but compared to other open world games, it's average at best. Just keep moving from area to area, do the same 6-7 things, district showdown, and repeat over and over. I don't think I've ever played an open world game that is this repetitive.

I met a friend this weekend and I thought I would share our conversation. He's a die hard Sony fan. Like the basement dwellers on neogaf that don't actually care about games, just which machine has sold more units.

Just because a lot of Neogaf posters are negative about the Xbox doesn't mean they don't care about games.

I asked him what he had been playing since launch. He said Killzone. This is a guy who has never played any of the previous games in the series. He's the kind of die hard fan that convinces himself that mediocre franchises are amazing simply because they are on a Sony platform. He loves shooters and denies titanfall's existence because it's on the XB1. His response? "Titanfall 2 will be on PS4". When I said he could be playing a fantastic new shooter that a lot of our other friends are all enjoying, he has no response. The very idea of buying an XB1 is insanity.

Recently he said he loved Infamous for PS4. When asked how he liked it compared to the first two? He said he never played them.

Just don't be one of those guys. Play the games, not the platforms.

It seems like you're angry at your "friend" for playing Killzone and Infamous. He's playing games - just not on the platform you want him to.

Responses in bold.

I really hate this defense of the Xbox one. "Hey man, it's all about the games. Don't be a guy who debates the platform."

No it's not. If these platforms were identical in every way except for branding, then yeah, it really would be senseless to debate them. But they aren't. We have radically different platforms, at different price points with different specs. Since when is it illegal to not like the garbage Microsoft put to market, even if decent games might come to the platform? Titanfall looks like a fun multiplayer shooter. The Xbox one is a poor offering from Microsoft. The two realities can coexist.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point I just don't think it's wise to go pick up one of the new consoles until we see what happens at E3. It's not that far away, and there could be all manner of changes or new announcements and promises for the year.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zelyre

You really shouldn't use the opinion of strangers who have horses in the race for your purchasing decisions.

As a primary PC gamer, I say buy what you want. If it's got the games you want to play, go for it.

But, as someone who is fairly financially responsible, I would look at it this way.

XBox One $499 + 10% tax. $550. + XBLive + Tax = $600. So, right off the bat, you're looking at just under $600. What's coming out between now and the fall that's MS exclusive that interests you? Over $600 interests you.

If there are no games you -want- to play on it, why not wait until a price drop? A Kinect-less XBox One? A slimmer XBox One? Maybe all the first generation One's will melt fiery deaths. Highly unlikely, I know. I mean, it's not like any previous consoles had issues. Heck, who knows? Maybe the XBox One will be the next Kin, Courier, or Zune!

What was I saying? Oh yeah, a Dreamcast 2 -would- be pretty sweet.

GiffE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sdharrison: If you were to argue the platforms and not games then you must take into account the console features outside of games. I'll be honest I really enjoy my Xbox One, but I'm a huge multimedia whore. I haven't seen my television remote in months and searching for tv or movies on netflix by just saying "Xbox Bing <Movie Name>" is fantastic. My girlfriend and I are also big fans of "Xbox Pause" if say... things are going down on the couch mid-movie...

I'm not concerned about performance or indie markets, DX12 is slated to be a huge bit of software optimization and Microsoft made it clear that all X1's will support being devkits. Recently the prices of xbox one's are down to $460 including Titanfall, which is equal to what you pay for a PS4. So all that's really left is if you're a real junkie for exclusives..

I know it's become popular to hate the Xbox One.. But the reality is both consoles are about par for the course.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.