Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Is Anyone Else Going To Boycott Xbox One? (Topic 4 years old)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

Boycott? Look, I know how much people love being reactionary on the internet, but holy shit.

BazookaXp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not boycotting at all. Probably end up picking up 2 Xbox ones this Xmas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

"Oh fuck, SupermanJohnathanKentJr is gonna boycott our new console release. We're stopping production right fucking now and moving forward in our negotiations with him."

"But sir, we are in way too deep to feasibly halt the prod-"

"GET THE FUCK OUT."

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Best troll I've seen on GB. *slow clap*

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I just want to have fun and if Microsoft's new console let's me do that, then I'll get one.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*fartnoisefartnoisefartnoise*

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By djou

I don't plan to boycott, but I definitely don't plan to buy one. Is it just me or is what MS proposing with the Kinect extremely creepy? It tracks eye movement and your heartbeat by analyzing skin temperature? Yikes! Coupled with the fact that the device always has to be plugged in and positioned under the TV, I'm out. I don't need a camera pointing at my face when I'm in my living room, although I'm the guy that puts a post-it-note over my iMac camera. I want a console that plays video games and streams media in that order. I don't need bells and whistles driving up the console price. With the 360 it was easy enough to stash the Kinect in a box but Xbone will be feature crippled without it.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I hadn't planned to buy one anyway, but with the new restrictions/requirements they've announced for the system, I'm definitely not buying one now.

So I guess so.

tonyp2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't boycott it, i just won't buy it until its cheap, I have no plans to support this but until I decide the exclusives are worth the price I won't purchase it.

Rabbi_Mafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I might wait a bit to see how each console does, like watching reviews etc. It is way to early to say that the used game stuff is true. GiantBomb has posted about the inconsistency of what the "used game fee" is. So I think it is a smart idea to wait my friend.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, but I was not going to buy one anyways so.. I don't think that counts.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By sonicrift

I don't like what they're showing off and my 12th replacement Xbox 360 is dying, so no, I will not be buying any hardware from this manufacturer in the foreseeable future, beyond possibly replacing my 360 come Black Friday 2014.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Not boycotting, just won't fucking get it, ever. What has been shown on the conference has not been interesting to me AT ALL. I won't pay a monthly/yearly fee, I won't pay a fee for using a game. I won't support the disgusting "always online" shit, and I sure as hell won't support Xbox's ad shit either.

So, no. I was hyped, and I was right in being so. Sadly, Xbox did NOT please, AT ALL.

Xbox can take their "FUCKING SHIT!" "console" and shove it up their tight assholes.

No offense to Bill Gates. I love that guy. He is a genius. ..It is the Xbox Team i'm pissed off at. - No "FUCKING SHIT!" "console" in this home.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm boycotting this thread.

...shit

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not boycotting it i just don't want one....

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As a PC gamer I guess I'll be "boycotting" both systems... Yeah! Fuck those corporate pigs! ANARCHY! ANARCHY! *runs out waving a burning flag*

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm surprised no mods have boycotted this thread yet and were already on page 5.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a PC gamer I guess I'll be "boycotting" both systems... Yeah! Fuck those corporate pigs! ANARCHY! ANARCHY! *runs out waving a burning flag*

made me lol!
    Love how people act like Sony is some altruistic company.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Dacnomaniac

No I'm boycotting it, because that implies I wanted to buy it in the first place. Which, after all that's been going on recently is never gonna happen...ever.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm boycotting it because I'm fairly sure Microsoft supports terrorism.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Boycott is a pretty strong word. I'm probably not going to get it when it comes out, but then I didn't get the 360 until it'd been out six months either. I didn't buy a PS3 until 2008.

I've never 'boycotted' a console, I just haven't had the resources or the inclination to buy some of them, and I don't think I've ever had one at launch.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#225  Edited By BoFooQ

question, if PS4 does the same thing are you going to boycott the whole next gen console. means you can play PC and wii U games for the next 5 years.

Stopbeingsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey kids. Not buying something you otherwise would IS a boycott. Keep being sheep and grab those ankles for MS.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Hey kids. Not buying something you otherwise would IS a boycott. Keep being sheep and grab those ankles for MS.

Thats some deep dedication signing up with a whole username just to get that one liner off.

People are really offended at the prospect of owning next gen consoles.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#228  Edited By yetiantics

Why does "not buying one" have to be associated with "boycott"?! That's so dumb.

I'm not buying it because I cant afford 2 systems. simple! Does not mean I'm "boycotting" it.

EDIT: I see @stopbeingsheep as one of those morons that keep saying "WAKE UP AMERICA"

Stopbeingsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yetiantics: then don't boycott it, go ahead and grab your ankles. This forum is full of people saying you can't boycott something that isn't out yet. Actually you can. Every product is built on the expectation a certain percentage of their target demographic will buy it. That target audience speaking up and saying they won't buy it due to horrible business practices is a boycott.

Dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stopbeingsheep: "Hey kids. Not buying something you otherwise would IS a boycott." I like how you refer to us as kids while posting such an idiotic comment that someone under the age of, ohh let's say, 12 would make. You're clearly the most mature one here.

"Keep being sheep and grab those ankles for MS." I'm not sure if you've read ANY of the posts on here, but many people have decided to either not buy it at all or wait until after it's released to see what it can actually do. Not many people are "grabbing their ankles" (which you seem to be really obsessed with btw) for Microsoft.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boycott? No, Buy a PS4 instead? Yes.

conantheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By conantheking

I will.

My reasoning is that the Xbox One looks just as complex in starting a game as a PC. You have to turn on the console, connect to the internet, check the game is registered, check that Kinect is connected and then there might be mandatory updates and then you play your game.

On Steam you boot up the computer, possibly connect to the internet (Steam has an offline mode, I used it for 8 months straight at university), check the game is registered, do downloads in your own time and then play the game.

The advantage of consoles has typically been about ease and that does not apply to the Xbox One, when I buy a game for £45 I want to feel I own it and am not just renting it, games on the PC are at least typically £35 to make up for this. And should the Xbox One take off we can expect the generation after to be doing whether it is Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony and I do not like that.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best troll I've seen on GB. *slow clap*

This a million times.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Schmollian

I'm buying a PS4 instead of an Xbox One... Does that count?

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By ThomasG666

It's not boycotting. I'm simply not buying.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It looks like I'll be pulling a switcheroo on the purchasing plans I made during this current generation, where I had the Xbox 360 at launch but only picked up a PS3 well after the slim came out.

Why?

The video games.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to buy one anyway. So, Yeah.

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By RTSlord

Im just buying a ps4 instead. Not super impressed with either console, but i'm liking the PS4 better right now. Also screw Kinect.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't buy one. That thing is dumb.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the term boycotting is a bit dramatic. I just prefer their competitors' products.

EarthBowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not. In a weird way, I'm more interested in knowing more ofthe Xbox One and their exclusives than the PS4.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is stupid. No I'm not going to boycott a potentially worthwhile product.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not boycotting it. I probably won't buy one for a few years though.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not interested in Xbox One. I'm kind of hoping it flops big time. Ever since they added the DLC feature the whole thing was going downhill in my eyes. Plus the never-have-a-sale-never XBL store that I pay a monthly fee to have things sold to me (for yet more cash). No support for my 360 library was my nail the final nail in the coffin for me.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By jdh5153

Not interested in Xbox One. I'm kind of hoping it flops big time. Ever since they added the DLC feature the whole thing was going downhill in my eyes. Plus the never-have-a-sale-never XBL store that I pay a monthly fee to have things sold to me (for yet more cash). No support for my 360 library was my nail the final nail in the coffin for me.

Never have a sale? I got Dark Souls for $10 last weekend... o.O They've been having a lot more sales lately.

Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boycott? That's a bit of a strong word, but I'm not planning on buying one if that's what you're asking.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

@lind_l_taylor said:

Never have a sale? I got Dark Souls for $10 last weekend... o.O They've been having a lot more sales lately.

That's because they're abandoning it. If you bought a digital copy of Dark Souls for the 360, well I'm not even sure that will ever work on the Xbox One so you'll have to consume it quick & then dispose of it, rather than play it whenever you feel like it. I just don't want to buy the same old game a second time because Softy says they're not carrying it over. Now if Xbox One simply stated they would make these games work, the whole point of going with Xbox One (with all of the existing problems I don't like) wouldn't bother me...at least I'd have my ROI from the library. But instead I get to be stuck with a dead game system.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By AngriGhandi

Giant Bomb loves two things: video games, and apathetically giving up all consumer agency! (Apparently.)

Being less inclined to the latter, I probably will switch to PS4 if the XBO's final used games policy ends up being too draconian, and PS4's less so. Because that would make PS4 a better product to suit my needs.

And yes, I would hope that any customer who does that would send a polite email to Microsoft letting them know why they didn't buy their new system-- just so they don't try to rationalize any lost sales as "we didn't market it enough during football" or "not enough casual free-to-play" or whatever stupid thing they would rather pretend caused the problem.

Corporations, after all, are cold, dehumanizing constructs that exist only to make money (no shit), but... that works both ways. If enough people complain about any given thing, they will be forced to placate them to save face and maintain profitability-- and "no more used games" strikes me as the kind of thing that your average Gamestop-going CoD rube might get pretty viscerally pissed off about. I hope they do.

After all, consumer outrage changed the entire ending of Mass Effect 3. Why can't it change this shitty thing?

(And really, "I bought the product, why doesn't the product fucking work??" Is a pretty reasonable complaint for a customer to make.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.