Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Is the XBone controller better than the XB360?

• 80 results
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By tourgen

It's worse than the 360 controller. The shape and size are not good and a step back in terms of cramping my hand. The bumpers are bad. But the real killer are the analog sticks. I think I actually prefer the old dual-shock sticks over these things. They're really bad.

I was hoping for a step up and was going to bring it over to my PC. After using it a few days I'm definitely sticking with 360 controllers on the PC.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I like the Xbox One controller a lot. In some ways I wish the springs were a little more resistant on the Xbox One controller. But, other than that I think the thumbsticks are fantastic. Gone are the days of substantial deadzones and controller drift. It isn't quite as good as the PS4 controller. But, that Xbox One controller is pretty fantastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5bc497650e6
    deactivated-5e5bc497650e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Feels the same apart from the sticks making my thumbs a little sore

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By Sambambo

To me, no. RB and LB are horrendous on the Xbox One controller. It seems designed well, thought a bit small for big hands, but the bumper buttons are a huge oversight.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#56  Edited By extintor

@vuud said:

@jesushammer: the OG Xbox controller is still the best. It convinced me that it was possible to play shooters without a mouse.

No Caption Provided

If it's good enough for Covie-Killin'...

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Overall I like it. It's nice, but not the same revelation that the DS4 was compared to the DS3.

Judging from the click noises the dpad makes, it seems to be 'true' 8-directional digital input now rather than the analog swivel solution of the 360 version. I haven't opened up the One controller though, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I fucking love the triggers, moreso than the DS4 triggers even.

The only real bummer is the bumpers, as many other have pointed out, they are a blatant downgrade from the 360 controller.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Everything except the bumpers is an improvement, IMO. I don't find myself slipping off the sticks at all, and there isn't a trigger better than on the X1 controller. If only they'd put the 360 controller's bumpers on there....

otoboke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm about 50/50 on it. I like the overall feel and aesthetic better. The face buttons are less mushy, the D-pad is an all-around improvement (even over the special chrome editions they did) and the triggers feel great.

That said, like others, I prefer the bumpers on the 360. I also prefer the larger and more rigid analogue sticks.

If given a choice though, I would probably pick up the X1 controller over the 360. The bumpers are (most of the time) a non-issue as they are rarely used for critical inputs, and the analogue sticks are more of a personal preference, born mostly out of using the 360 controller and only the 360 controller for eight years.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No that is the problem I really can't stand using the Xbox one controller, and I loved the 360 controller, maybe it is just because of how good the ps4 controller is that it has ruined all others for me now.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Seems fine, the bumpers don't click properly in the region most central to the controller though which I find pretty annoying.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I held a display XBONE controller briefly at a Walmart. I immediately hated it, the analog sticks were made of some hard plastic with hard uncomfortable ridges around the brim. If it hadn't been attached to the display I would have dropped the damn thing.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Corevi

If you are looking for a PC controller I would go with the PS4 one, it just feels higher quality, and you can even use the touchpad as your mouse.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I played with the X-Box 3 controller at a Futureshop and it felt really nasty and uncomfortable to handle. Meanwhile the PS4 one felt super nice. I think the X-Box 3 controller is a step backwards compared to the 360.

Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Xbox One controller has better analog sticks, stick resistance, trigger and bumper design, d-pad and positioning of the battery pack as well as the back/start buttons. The controller seems to be made of better materials as well. I would give a negative to the proprietary mic jack. I also have two controller and they have a small amount of flex in the hand rests. I don't think it is a problem with the materials or build quality as much as it is the shape. The hand pieces on the 360 controller come to a more rounded end, where on the One they are slightly more pointed. I think this design doesn't allow the front and back of the controller to lock together as tightly as the 360s so you can feel a tiny bit of flex.

cogbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bought one to use on PC. The bumpers and sticks are awful. I wish there was better support for the DS4 on pc. That is a great controller.

abara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading all the negative posts here. this controller is so much fucking better

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#68  Edited By Entreri10

I really loved my 360 controller but I definitely prefer my Xbox one controller, for me it just fits in my hands more comfortably.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seemed mostly the same to me. Maybe slightly better feel

bremaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played with the controller for a bit, and the only problems I had was that the analog sticks are a bit smaller, and I would prefer them to be a tad bit bigger like they are on the 360's. Once I get the Xbox one, I'll get used to the controller.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I still find it slightly awkward to hit the shoulder buttons because of the way they don't work if you hit them further up, so I still am sometimes letting off of them when I don't mean to and stuff like that. The analog sticks feel better especially when I was using a Xbox 360 pad on my PC which felt instantly decades older... such a weird thing cause it seemed perfectly fine the week before but as soon as I was using that new hotness all of a sudden the old and busted surely felt busted.

The d-pad is usable, which is great considering how junk the past one was. Not a lot of PC games use it because the last one was junk though so I haven't really been using the new one either :S In time it will get used more I'm sure, ,maybe for better things than radial menu hotkeys like the d-pad is used for now.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Everything better except shoulder buttons. Those bumpers are terrible. They marshy rather than clicky.

D-pad is colicky for great input response, sticks are tightened up, triggers are rumble. There ya go

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, in every single way. Somehow they managed to improve on the best controller of all time.

htiawe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels good, a bit too small fo rmy hands but otherwise alright. But what is up with the range of that thing? With the 360 controller i could wander around in the apartment during level loads while talking to party members but now i can barely move from the couch before it looses contact. Why move from RF to Bluetooth if its such a downgrade?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cogbert said:

Just bought one to use on PC. The bumpers and sticks are awful. I wish there was better support for the DS4 on pc. That is a great controller.

was considering a ds4 to replace my 360, is it really that bad? i thought the computer recongized it right away? also i would suppose you could use something like x360ce to make sure it works. i did have problems with a 3rd party ps3 controller and Dark Souls, so maybe there's similar issues with the ds4. eh i have one available to me so maybe i should just try it. damn my laziness!

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htiawe: The goal was to reduce latency from the controller to the system. I wish I could remember the exact numbers, but I remember seeing that it was a noticeable reduction in lag.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Nice weight. Better thumbsticks (the grooved rubber, slightly smaller tops, smaller dead zone, and overall more accurate feel). Some of those same principles carry over to the triggers, plus if a game ever wanted to take advantage of the trigger rumble, there's that. I also like the feel of the rumble much better, which is too subjective a thing to put as a plus for everyone, though wasn't the better rumble a touted feature of the controller? Finally, on the PC side, the controller actually shuts itself off instead of needing to remove the battery tray.

As for the shoulder bumpers, they aren't any better or worse as far as I can tell. The only problem with them is just that they're *different*, and that difference is jarring for someone so used to the 360 controller. It didn't take long for me to get used to them after forcing myself away from the 360 pad between playing Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 (I didn't want to switch mid-game because so much of those games becomes about getting the feel down).

On the cons side, no wireless currently. Needing to be tethered when using a controller really brings me back to a period I haven't experienced since Wavebird and it just feels wrong.

cogbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: the PC will recognize a ds4 but not every game will see it. There are work arounds but for me it wasn't worth the hassle.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I like the shape and the triggers more, also the weight and the D pad, but it feels cheap, and the thumbsticks are too lose for me.

htiawe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: really? I didnt know that, i never had any problems with latency on the 360 but i guess its for the better. Wish my controllers would stop dropping connection with the console tho..

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By monetarydread

@htiawe said:

@monetarydread: really? I didnt know that, i never had any problems with latency on the 360 but i guess its for the better. Wish my controllers would stop dropping connection with the console tho..

Loading Video...

Here is a video talking about the reasons for the different protocol. It should start at the proper time, but in case Youtube fucks up, they start talking about wireless at the 4 minute 35 seconds mark.

htiawe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htiawe: I'ts no problem. That's what community is for, we try to be friendly at this place.

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it's better than the Xbox 360's controller. I enjoy everything about the controller.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.