Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Microsoft offered us a shitty deal

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By lebkin

Microsoft's original Xbox One policies were compared regularly to other online DRM: Steam, Kindle, Apple App store, Netflix, Amazon. I wanted to talk about those services and how the DRM deal they offer is different than Microsoft's.

iPad and Apple

iPad apps have DRM, but once on my iPad they will theoretically stay functional as long as the device does. They never need to phone home. They work without internet. Apple could blow-up tomorrow and those would still work.

iPad apps are also not tied to a specific hardware. iPad 1 games work on modern iPads. All past software are support on new software/hardware. Because of this, it is in Apple's best interest to continue giving me access to the older software - it earns both my goodwill and allows them to sell me more stuff.

The day after Microsoft stopped running the Xbox One's servers, its DRM would have made everything I purchased fail. It doesn't matter which system I use it on - my primary or a secondary - without verification, the games go away.

Microsoft also has shown a dismissive attitude toward backwards compatibility. The 360 poorly supported some old games; the One doesn't support them at all. Based in that policy, there is little incentive to keep servers up long-term. EA already turns off old multiplayer servers - I do not trust Microsoft to continue supporting Xbox One games on old hardware, long after it's ceases to make them money.

This is a similar deal offered with Steam or Kindle books.

Netflix

Netflix is an all digital service that goes away as soon as either your internet fails or Netflix closes. On the surface, it appears similar to Xbox One. The key difference is tied to cost and hardware. I can pay $7.99 a month and get access to everything Netflix has to offer. It doesn't matter how many or how few months I've paid into the system. It's a flat exchange: $8 gets you everything. An exchange we renegotiate every month, but it's clear.

With the Xbox One, the exchange is both more costly and less clear. You pay $60 per game, that will last for some unforeseeable distance into the future. Consoles are good future investments - your NES carts still work in your NES system. We used to only have to trust our hardware - if you keep your 360 work and the discs in good shape, they will last a long time. The Xbox One requires us to trust Microsoft will keep those servers going. It's easy to say today that this will likely happen for a long time. But we'd have said the same thing about SEGA only a few generations ago.

Also, as with the Apple example above, Netflix isn't tied to a single piece of hardware. Thus making it more likely to outlive this generation of consoles than Microsoft's support for Xbox One.

Summary

Microsoft offered us a deal that is one of the worst in recent history toward DRM. With other options available, it was easy to pass on that bad deal and go with those who had better terms.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By EarlessShrimp

You make some good points, but it doesn't feel totally relevant at the moment... I can't place my finger on why.... Hmmm. just call it, oh, a feeling.

EDIT: oh also forgot to mention typo when you say "play 7.99 for netflix" Just tryin' to help you out here!

Plipster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

...and now it's gone.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

damn do you work for a newspaper?

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earlessshrimp said:

You make some good points, but it doesn't feel totally relevant at the moment... I can't place my finger on why.... Hmmm. just call it, oh, a feeling.

EDIT: oh also forgot to mention typo when you say "play 7.99 for netflix" Just tryin' to help you out here!

Thanks for finding the typo. Fixed!

As for Microsoft backing off and the above deal is being currently off the table, I have seen several posts and comments complaining about that change (like this one or this one). I started writing a comment, then it ballooned long enough I felt it was worth it's own post.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tescovee said:

damn do you work for a newspaper?

No newspapers in my career path. But I do practice architecture - which involves a great deal of clear communication, both written and visual. When you want to convince someone a big chunk of change on their house, you need to be able to make it very clear what they are getting. And why they should get it from you instead of some other company.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.