Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Microsoft Unveils the Xbox One

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Very little about today's event got me interested in the Xbox. I don't have or want cable. I don't really watch live TV anymore. I wanted games and they showed very little (and didn't seem to care about it that much), especially when compared to Sony. I'm still waiting for E3 to form my opinion further though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@neoepoch said:

@odog4ever said:

People used to be able to sell/lend out CDs too. Then mp3 players made downloading music so much more convenient. The music industry changed but didn't disappear. The same will happen to the game industry. Physical discs and the old practices that went along with them are going away, deal with it.

Games are much more expensive than music CDs.

Yeah, again, the pricing model here is completely different and it's being done by greedy fuckers I wouldn't trust with almost anything. The music industry changed because of iTunes distribution models, but they did so by making it more affordable and convenient to buy just the songs you wanted. The music industry has also made less money than they did in their 90s heyday. This is a completely different scenario; they want to wring as much money out of you as possible. This is all forced connections and DRM and increasingly inflexible pricing, with none of the supposed convenience.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wait. How many transistors?

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

I'd like to see/hear more about relations with developers (stupid Balmer joke here), and how much control MS will cede to devs who want to sell things digitally. GI has an interview up with one of the guys from Sony about this, and they're at least talking a good game about letting devs adjust pricing with little to no interference for the coming cycle.

I think that a dev or publisher having that much control over their prices will be a good thing. Not that everyone is going to turn into Steam over night, but EA already does little one day or weekend sales on the iTunes app store, I am hopeful that they and others would carry that sort of idea over to the console if it's available.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@djou: this was an hour presentation on tv that has to appeal to the widest audience possible, which is people that play sports games and shooters. It is not rocket science.

BUT THE XBOX ONE WAS BUILT WITH ROCKET SCIENCE. ;)

Avatar image for gold_skulltulla
    Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#56  Edited By Gold_Skulltulla
    Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By Alphazero

And into this Xbox he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One Xbox to rule them all.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#58  Edited By LegalBagel

Most of this sucked, but it obviously was not targeted at us at all. If it can run a competent interface with better HBO Go and Netflix, then I'm interested, as that's the primary usage for my Xbox now. But I can't see any reason I would use it as a movie service or cable pass-through with Skype or apps on the side. If I want to do that, I have my laptop, and there's no reason to clutter up my screen and shrink the picture.

Content-wise it was completely not for us but it will work very well. FIFA for people not in the US, NFL for people in the US, and CoD and Halo stuff for the ton of people who buy only those games. That's pretty much every mainstream 20/30-something covered. A complete 180 from Sony's focus on people who buy 10+ games a year and follow games closely.

And I'm fully on board with installing games and registering them with your account. Wish they had discussed their digital plans though, as their digital services have sucked lately compared to Sony. Give me day one digital sales and good pricing online.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
    deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What I think of this used game thing depends entirely on how much this hidden fee is,

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By GaspoweR

@hangnail said:

@fistfulofmetal said:

Terrible name.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

Well, at least they didn't go with something like "Wii" or "WiiU"

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Icemo

Did they give any reason behind the name? Seems really confusing, almost as confusing as Wii U.

All-in-one. One box to do it all. Xbox One. I think that was what they were thinking.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By tourgen

It's amazing how little they said today. So much vague promises and hollow marketing speak. And a lot of talk about cable TV, sports, and .. a Halo TV show.

I just don't think Microsoft wants to sell me an Xbox that bad. They want to sell me a bunch of subscriptions and agree to a bunch of EULAs and direct marketing opt-in agreements.

I guess they can go head to head with the PS4 at E3 and we can see who shows off the best games (running on PCs).

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wizeguy said:

If I have to pay a fee to play a used game I have bought from a store or anyone, then maybe xbox one isn't for me. Who are they to tell me I can't even give my game to a friend and let them play it? So if it going to be true, if I was to lend my mate a game he would have to pay to play it on his system. That would be madness.

Steam doesn't allow me to lend my games or even buy second hand games. I hear nothing but praise for Valve and Steam.

You also don't pay full price plus tax for digital steam games, you can't have it both ways. Valve were incredibly lucky that they managed to build the system they have in such a way that the consumer feels they're getting a benefit for buying into the Steam service, not a barrier.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not being part of the American TV-market makes the very core of their strategy for XBox One rather unappealing to me. Now that that's said, Microsoft's pitch for Xbox One as my future mainstay gaming device of choice was weak. As far as first impressions go, Microsoft just blew the big one.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Draxyle

As someone who doesn't care about sports, kinect, television, CoD, or racing games.. man.

There is a market for this NextBox (I'm not prepared to call it the XBox One), but it's definitely not me.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@flip2000b: Is it really the widest possible audience? Or the biggest audience? To me they spoke to three groups, TV watchers, sports fans, and shooter players, three audiences that are currently popular and seen by millions. A wide audience takes into account other types of fans, a variety types of games and experiences. Even the television they showed is about base, big box entertainment. What about this is suppose to appeal to women, children, or for that matter, anyone not living in the US. The rocket science is tehat this is a carefully tailored presntation designed to seem like it appeals to a wide audience but it really directed at the same bros that you hear shouting epithets on Xbox Live.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, nothing really stands out here to me, if my cable provider offers a package that includes it in the future i may do that but honestly nothing here wows me. Pc gaming is already past what these consoles are doing and i cant see myself spending the cash on a new console when i could just buy myself a new processor and gpu for a bit more and still play most of the games im interested in.

Dont expect many exclusives besides first party at this point anyways, its getting too expensive for developers to make big games for a single platform.

Also, the name is retarded.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#68  Edited By fistfulofmetal

The worst thing about the name is that it's just a retread of the previous name. 360 references 360 degrees of entertainment. A one stop box for everything!!!!

The Xbox One referenced the device as the ONE device you need. The ONE stop box for everything!!!!

lazy

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Brendan
    GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

@devilzrule27 said:

@extreme_popcorn said:

@wizeguy said:

If I have to pay a fee to play a used game I have bought from a store or anyone, then maybe xbox one isn't for me. Who are they to tell me I can't even give my game to a friend and let them play it? So if it going to be true, if I was to lend my mate a game he would have to pay to play it on his system. That would be madness.

Steam doesn't allow me to lend my games or even buy second hand games. I hear nothing but praise for Valve and Steam.

There is no expectation to be able to do that with digital games. However when you buy a boxed copy those expectations change.

The pricing of games on Steam are also completely fucking different from the pricing scheme on console games, boxed and digital.

Steam price of Metro Last Light - £34.99.

Amazon price of Xbox Metro Last Light - £34.99

Yes, Steam has a lot of sales but recently Xbox have been having a lot more sales that have been close to the quality and prices of Steam Sales.

That's for a recently released game though. Wait WHEN THE SUMMER STEAM SALE starts. Now that's when THE REAL STEAM SALES starts coming in (and soon I might add).

Loading Video...
    Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz said:

@extreme_popcorn said:

@wizeguy said:

You also don't pay full price plus tax for digital steam games, you can't have it both ways. Valve were incredibly lucky that they managed to build the system they have in such a way that the consumer feels they're getting a benefit for buying into the Steam service, not a barrier.

It might be different where you live but in the UK I pay the same amount of tax if I buy a game digitally or physically.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#72  Edited By AV_Gamer

The name for it sucks, and it's doesn't seem that much different than the PS4. Both are just gaming PC's. I'll stick to the PS4 this gaming cycle along with my actual gaming PC.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Most of this sucked, but it obviously was not targeted at us at all. If it can run a competent interface with better HBO Go and Netflix, then I'm interested, as that's the primary usage for my Xbox now. But I can't see any reason I would use it as a movie service or cable pass-through with Skype or apps on the side. If I want to do that, I have my laptop, and there's no reason to clutter up my screen and shrink the picture.

Content-wise it was completely not for us but it will work very well. FIFA for people not in the US, NFL for people in the US, and CoD and Halo stuff for the ton of people who buy only those games. That's pretty much every mainstream 20/30-something covered. A complete 180 from Sony's focus on people who buy 10+ games a year and follow games closely.

ETA: And I'm fully on board with installing games and registering them with your account. Wish they had discussed their digital plans though, as their digital services have sucked lately compared to Sony.

I'm not so sure you should base their entire game strategy of one event.

Just because they didn't show any new IP's except for Quantum Break doesn't mean they are not coming when the thing releases. They said they'll have 15 exclusives in the first year? 8 of which are exclusive. That's not a small amount, especially for a first year.

What are you truly basing your statement on that this was 'obviously' not targeted to us (by which I assume you mean hardcore gamers)? The event might not have been so much. But the system sure is.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#74  Edited By veektarius

I'm keen on the NFL deal, that'd be worth something to me. The graphics on the gameplay stuff did not wow me, however - I honestly think Sony's looked better, though I only saw it at that time. Overall, going to wait for the E3 conference before I form a solid judgement but I'm definitely still ambivalent.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By bmccann42

@djm389: Agreed, I'm just far more willing to go PS4, and wait out on Xbox One (I hate typing that, i really do)

Krabonq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Horrendous" is the first word that comes to mind.

This is by far the worst and most abysmal console reveal I've seen in my over 10 years of watching E³ and P.C.s.

It was even worse than the 2006 PS3 announcement, which brought us such gems as Ridge Racer and 599USD.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By HerbieBug

@icemo said:

@kidavenger said:

Did they give any reason behind the name? Seems really confusing, almost as confusing as Wii U.

All-in-one. One box to do it all. Xbox One. I think that was what they were thinking.

One box to rule them all? One box to find them?

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what's faster than gesturing at your tv? Pressing a button. You know what's more convenient than having a ton of windows open on your tv? Having a tablet or laptop right next to you.

Odog4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoepoch said:

Games are much more expensive than music CDs.

Right, they are and your point is?

Optional hobbies might be expensive, news at 11!!!

If you can't afford it you can't afford it. Budget for it or find a cheaper hobby.

Don't rail against the console makers, publishers and devs, because, shocker, it takes actual money to make games. The games industry is not charity put in place for you personal benefit.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

New Call of Duty: Something that didn't work all that well in Fable 2 + graphics on par with Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2. Great?

Noli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MC presentation was one of the most boring ones I had watched in my whole life and the staff they have shown was really boring. That is my opinion of course.

Gavrillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Gavrillo
    hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex "HDMI In/Out portsW"

Might have added an unnecessary W there.

Corleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Corleth

The dog is so going to die. And that's your emotion folks.

The Kinect will then beam live footage of you blubbing to your Xbox Live friends list.

I dunno about you guys - but I've been calling the original Xbox - Xbox 1 for years now. It sounds really weird - this new name.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By jgf

With football fantasy, hbo, netflix and co. I feel like only about 50% of this presentation was relevant to non-us customers. They somehow seem to forget that consoles have a worldwide market which tends to be quite large.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

skelington_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unoriginal, but they should've named it Xbox America, because this glorified bread-maker isn't going to sell anywhere else.

Practically half of that presentation concerned TV integration... which is only going to be available in the US at launch: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407975/xbox-one-tv-only-available-for-us-at-launch/

Plus the death knell of the paywall: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

I might buy a PlayStation 4 at some stage (depending on whether or not the same disc restrictions apply) - I also might buy a PC, but one thing I can categorically state is that, as a European citizen, I will not be buying an Xbox One!

It's obviously not the console for me, as I grew tired of FPS's a few years ago, don't watch television (and when I do, I have catch-up services on my MacBook), and think the Kinect is unnecessary.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By GaspoweR

@icemo said:

@kidavenger said:

One box to rule them all? One box to find them?

One Box to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By LegalBagel

@zevvion said:

@deathpooky said:

ETA: And I'm fully on board with installing games and registering them with your account. Wish they had discussed their digital plans though, as their digital services have sucked lately compared to Sony.

I'm not so sure you should base their entire game strategy of one event.

Just because they didn't show any new IP's except for Quantum Break doesn't mean they are not coming when the thing releases. They said they'll have 15 exclusives in the first year? 8 of which are exclusive. That's not a small amount, especially for a first year.

What are you truly basing your statement on that this was 'obviously' not targeted to us (by which I assume you mean hardcore gamers)? The event might not have been so much. But the system sure is.

Why should I not judge them based on their launch event? It shows where their focus and effort is going. And I don't think based on what they did you can say that the system is targeted at us. Especially since a lot of their new features I'm not interested in and are based around turning it into an all-in-one family entertainment system.

They can change my mind, but based on the two conferences I'm feeling far better about what Sony's doing than Microsoft, especially in light of Microsoft and Sony's actions over the last few years. PS3 has embraced digital, gotten great PSN games, run an amazing service in PS+, and hasn't crapped up their interface so it's unbearable to use. 360 I use to watch HBO Go and Netflix. Their conferences reflected that divide.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@fourwude said:

The Kinect must always be plugged in and on for the Xbox One to function.

What happens if you want a wank in front of the TV? The idea of Kinect watching me is off putting, though I'm sure some of the "uno" crowd may well enjoy broadcasting themselves. The sheer inconvenience of having to move the Kinect camera away, just incase MS are watching me and taking stealth video of me and then blackmailing me when I go on to become Mayor of my town.

No thanks. Wank in peace.

What if it can give you tips on how to improve your wank? Or maybe you get wanking achievements?

Hilts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Hilts

Cant wait to see the price of the bundle with Kinect included. If its more than $399 its too much!

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By kpaadet

Its like MS dosn't want people outside of the US/(UK) to buy their console, most of the stuff they talked about will not be available where I live, so instead I'm left with Fifa and CoD...great....

benu302000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McTangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dog dies at the end. Definitely. Afterlife DLC.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Draxyle

@rasmoss said:

You know what's faster than gesturing at your tv? Pressing a button. You know what's more convenient than having a ton of windows open on your tv? Having a tablet or laptop right next to you.

Yea, this "Minority Report" future of motion and touch controlled everything is fundamentally less intuitive than just navigating with simple buttons. It's a nice gimmick, but that's pretty much all it is.

The voice stuff is potentially useful, but that's nothing that can't be done without a simple microphone.

fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a good reveal. They got the box and "general appeal stuff" out of the way and will be showing games at E3, can't wait. Loving how fast you can switch between a game, tv, internet, or a movie. If the PS4 can't do that it is a huge plus for the Xbox one.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked that the general interface seems much quicker and cleaner. I wouldn't use all those programs but if I can bounce between tv/netflix/games with that much speed that would be pretty cool.

If a good percentage of those 15 exclusives with 8 new IP's are interesting, Xbox One could be an enticing buy much sooner than I thought. I guess all that depends on the costs involved and the games though. E3 will definitely be the deciding factor for me on which console I go with first.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All-in-one?

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@hangnail said:

@xer0ph0kus: Just because we lost the war in the PC-front a while back doesn't mean we should just surrender trying to hold onto our console [used game] rights as well. Leave any false sense of corporate-favoritism behind and get to grips with the state of the matter.

I like how you are saying rights, like it's some sort of UN sanctioned enforceable thing that used games are something you are entitled to. Don't like it? Don't buy the system and games, but where else are you going to go? I guarantee you this wasn't Microsoft choice and it was more the publishers pressuring them to do something about used games. That means Sony the lesser successful console was also under the knife too from publishers to do it. They just haven't told you yet.

And Steam's never been more popular than it is right now. No used games on Steam has resulted in lower overall prices for people buying new. I don't think anything at all was lost on PC. We gained a bigger market, better saves and game management, and lower prices. We lost maybe some people that would have pirated if they weren't given the better option that is Steam?

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this press conference crystallized why I ended up choosing PS3 over 360 when I decided to pare down and only support one console: many of the things Microsoft is focused on are things I care nothing about. Multiplayer? Nope. Sports? Nope. Live TV? Nope (cut the cable like 4 years ago). Call of Duty? Nope (only military shooter I've cared for is Spec Ops: The Line). Controlling my console and/or TV with voice and gestures? Nope. They really are after a demographic that I'm not a part of and, as a gamer, I find that a little surprising. Still, seems like a fine device, really liked the styling, and I'm envious that they still get exclusives from Remedy - for all it's faults, I thought Alan Wake was a fantastic game to play at least once. 15 exclusives with 8 being new IP's? Interested in what these turn out to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.