Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Microsoft Unveils the Xbox One

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By graf1k

I really hope that's not true about XBLA games not carrying over, but considering they completely skirted that in their conference, I'm not optimistic. That said, while 90% of the new functionality they showed doesn't interest me (I don't have cable, I don't follow sports much, and I don't play fantasy football) a new IP from Remedy is very interesting to me, as is Forza 5 as a launch title. The 15 exclusives could be interesting depending on what they are, but I'm glad to hear Microsoft come up with the 8 new IP in 12 months figure. Obviously with new IP, each title could go either way, but it's good to hear Microsoft isn't going to just rely on Halo, Forza, Fable & exclusive DLC.

I'm curious to see what type of RAM the Xbox One (Terrible name. Infinity would have been better for Christ's sake...) uses, if it's unified, ect. I'd say thus far nobody has completely blown it, but Sony showed better thus far, maybe enough to negate the momentum Microsoft has and the money they can throw around for exclusive DLC deals. As long as Microsoft can stay price competitive despite the Kinect in the box, I'd say both are very even matched right now.

Honestly, right now it looks like the perfect time to wait and build/upgrade a PC. As platform exclusivity erodes among the consoles, Steam will have the best and best looking game lineup. If anybody should be shitting themselves right now, it's Nintendo. The best they can hope for right now is to hang onto the Nintendo faithful.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Rasmoss

@draxyle said:

@rasmoss said:

You know what's faster than gesturing at your tv? Pressing a button. You know what's more convenient than having a ton of windows open on your tv? Having a tablet or laptop right next to you.

Yea, this "Minority Report" future of motion and touch controlled everything is fundamentally less intuitive than just navigating with simple buttons. It's a nice gimmick, but that's pretty much all it is.

The voice stuff is potentially useful, but that's nothing that can't be done without a simple microphone.

But I hate talking at my tv. I feel like a moron. Never used it with the old Kinect either.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By striderno9

I hate my Cable UI so if MS can replace it with a better one I am in.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

@mctangle said:

The dog dies at the end. Definitely. Afterlife DLC.

All Dogs Go to Heaven and Call of Duty crossover. What everyone's been waiting for.

bhtav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By bhtav

Anyone see any avatars?

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106  Edited By maskedarcstrike

I'm keen on the NFL deal, that'd be worth something to me. The graphics on the gameplay stuff did not wow me, however - I honestly think Sony's looked better, though I only saw it at that time. Overall, going to wait for the E3 conference before I form a solid judgement but I'm definitely still ambivalent.

You know with the NFL deal if they gave me the option to screw around with camera views on the field during commercial breaks then I'd be interested. Does NFL's premium online package do that?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So we all know that the dog is going to die to get a cheap emotional pop out of the audience right?

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

ok guys i have been giving this a lot of thought and i have came up with the nick name for the XBOX ONE similar to how we called the xbox 360 simply the "360" drum roll please we call it

THE XONE

im giving this stuff away for free microsoft

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Microsoft really needed to show actual gameplay from COD to truly wow the general public, I don't think comparison photos really does it. Can't believe they didn't show a dude on stage playing a game...they better wow at E3, the exclusive talk in the first year sounds pretty great though. The TV stuff was super amazing, but would never work in my country anyway, we don't even get Netflix. But having that ability to integrate Fantasy Team with live EPL games is pretty appealing, in all honesty I could see the NFL Fantasy Team integration sell so many consoles on that alone, Snap right is a useful feature though, used it today with Twitter in Windows 8 while watching the stream, getting live snarky game press tweets was pretty cool. Show me some great new IP's at E3 and I'll buy "One".

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#110  Edited By bemusedchunk

Dog of Duty

RichieJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 9

I'm not sure about this. If they're super aggressive with pricing I'll get it but at the moment the PS4 will be my next console.

bye_default

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By bye_default

@extreme_popcorn: Microsoft always gets a load of flak for their digital download pricing but recently they've had some pretty decent deals on there. A couple of weeks ago they had Far Cry 3 for £15! That's quite the bargain.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@deathpooky: Because it's the reveal event?

To put things in perspective: you say you like the PS3.

When it was announced, Sony made sure to state that devs had to come to them instead of trying to get great games on their console. They wanted your PS3 to do more than 'just' play games, They announced Metal Gear Solid 4, GT5 and Warhawk and it was 600 bucks.

How's that for a first impression?

This is just the reveal of the Xbox One and they said 15 exclusives in the first year. You didn't see them, but that's allot of titles. That's more than PS4 has as far as we know.

I agree with you that Sony did a better job of presenting to the core gamer than Microsoft did, but it looks like they weren't really trying to do that with this event yet though.

At E3 there will be games and I think it will be made more obvious to you there that this is aimed at the core gamer.

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By darkstorn

Hmmmm. I tend to switch console manufacturers every cycle (original Xbox, then PS3, now XBO?), but my reasoning is that I get to catch up on games I missed via backwards compatibility. No b/c means I have no reason to get an Xbox over a PS4, and considering my lack of a cable subscription this device doesn't seem to be for me.

natedagr811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#115  Edited By natedagr811

...we call it

THE XONE

im giving this stuff away for free microsoft

No Caption Provided

The whole Xbox/Pizza Hut thing has come full circle.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116  Edited By Zirilius

This conference/presentation officially solidified my purchase of a PS4 first. Don't give a rats ass about any of the TV functionality or Kinect stuff.

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reveal show was so boring to watch even with the GB crew hackling at it.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lack of backwards compatibility might have put a bullet in this for me.
    Now don't go ranting at me like we did at the end of the last generation, the 360 is my gateway to playing my favorite fighting games and black ops 2 with my friends, i'm still going to want to play those games and more after the new consoles come out.

3 things stand out to me from that conference, pre-rendered video, sports, kinect... all things i don't care about.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gavrillo: Thats actually pretty interesting. Any word on how Microsofts stock is doing?

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jackel2072: Honestly, the X-ONE or XONE both sound like much better brandings than the "XBOX ONE", which is all but guaranteed to cause some people confusion as to whether they're talking about the next xbox or the first xbox.

It seems to me that there are a ton of things they could have named this that would be objectively better choices just due to that concern... but what do I know. After all, Microsoft probably focus-grouped the ever loving shit out of that name.

TehChich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By TehChich

This sounds nightmarish. Just a multitude of horrible decisions. Do they not have anyone telling them these are all really terrible things to do with a video game console? Or are they actually trying to kill themselves off?

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wh1terav3n: I like where your heads at. I usually could give a poop about names (dreamcast: love it, PSVita: sure) but this ONE took me for a loop.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In honor of the Xbox One reveal, I will once again not play my 360 today.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

OH NO MY PRECIOUS USED GAMES NOOOOOO HOW WILL I LIVE?!!?!

Jesus, some people are such manchildren. Physical software is a long outdated paradigm, and is basically meaningless at this point. The future is software licensing, whether you like it or not.

420 smoke gamestop errday

I'm sorry you don't care about your rights as a consumer to own and be able to do whatever the fuck you want with the thing you bought, but I do. This is fucking garbage no matter how you slice it.

Xer0ph0kus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hangnail said:

@xer0ph0kus: Just because we lost the war in the PC-front a while back doesn't mean we should just surrender trying to hold onto our console [used game] rights as well. Leave any false sense of corporate-favoritism behind and get to grips with the state of the matter.

The state of the matter is when you buy a used game you are not a Microsoft consumer nor are you a consumer of whatever publisher/developer made the game. You are a consumer of the store from which you bought it. Microsoft will not and should not cater to you, you have given them zero money for a game and expect to be able to play it. Explain to me why they should care about what you want?

Penny-Arcade has a relevant comic that says it well. http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/08/25

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Darji

They probably created the perfect US console but the rest of the world will give a shit about it.

Shnowmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I'm a manager at a Gamestop. I am in no way have any strong tie or with loyalty with the chain, as well as I own all the current gen consoles. That being said, the Xbox One potentially charging an additional fee for playing a used game will lose a large portion of their consumer base. I have heard more complaints about the, once before rumors, that the next Xbox would not play used games than anything else, when customers have asked me about it. If it is indeed true that they will charge a fee for the ability to play a used game, it will have to be nominal. If not, I worry for potential drop of the Microsoft consumer base. That aside It looks like the cable box under my grandmothers television.

Regular_Kirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I am so pumped! I've been waiting years to watch TV on my TV!

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By HerbieBug

The more I think on it the more this name selection offends me. It is not merely mediocre. It is, I think, enthusiastically awful. The whole point of naming convention is to give your console a brand identity that interests people. Combined with the perplexingly retro-80's (in a bad way) stylings of the physical unit, it's a marketing disaster. They might as well have made it that muted grey yellow colour that was ubiquitous to PC's in the 90's. My refrigerator has a better name and design than the Onebox.

I'm no expert at marketing here but to me I think a title should, at minimum, sound exciting or useful or something. :/

Shoulda called it Xbox Boom. Boombox. That would have been rad. T_____T

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@fiberpay said:

If the PS4 can't do that it is a huge plus for the Xbox one.

Except it isn't because nobody will actually do that and I can already accomplish it with my TV remote. :/

furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it.

macguyver912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" EA Sports announced a special partnership with Microsoft"

Just like EAs unprecedented partnership with Nintendo?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By iamjohn

@hangnail said:

@xer0ph0kus: Just because we lost the war in the PC-front a while back doesn't mean we should just surrender trying to hold onto our console [used game] rights as well. Leave any false sense of corporate-favoritism behind and get to grips with the state of the matter.

The state of the matter is when you buy a used game you are not a Microsoft consumer nor are you a consumer of whatever publisher/developer made the game. You are a consumer of the store from which you bought it. Microsoft will not and should not cater to you, you have given them zero money for a game and expect to be able to play it. Explain to me why they should care about what you want?

Penny-Arcade has a relevant comic that says it well. http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/08/25

People who buy used games don't buy new games? People who buy used games don't turn around and go spend money on DLC and other shit for that used game? People who buy used games don't sometimes do so when the game is out of production and there is no way to buy a new boxed copy? The majority of used games sales don't happen after a game has been out for months which, in an extremely front-loaded business like games sales, means that the affect on the publisher/developer is negligible?

It's clear you don't understand how the vast majority of people enjoy games. But that's okay, since obviously neither does Microsoft, and they're in for a world or hurt!

Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This console is the only ONE that I want, for now.

I'll give Sony a chance when they have a price drop in a couple years.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Just did some quick sums and just on games alone and just in the last year and a half I've saved £2,440 by renting them through Lovefilm. Again, that's just in a year and a half, and just on games alone, not including DVDS or BluRays. And where did a lot of that money go? On XBL Arcade games, Indie games and DLC. I'm out. Rather than making £2,440 they've lost hundreds of pounds I was spending on XBLA and DLC. Guess it's time to start saving for PC parts.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I'm honestly shocked that the new console won't play digital games purchased on the previous hardware. It seems that if you're trying to sell people on purchasing everything digitally and not worrying about "owning" a physical copy anymore, which they clearly are, telling consumers to essentially throw away some of the best games in their library is NOT the way to do it...

IndoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By IndoAssassin

I'm buying both. Will buy PS4 day one but the Xbox I'll buy when it drops in price. For one all that espn stuff they were spewing I don't get in Canada so who cares.

Microsoft will release a shit tonne of games in the first 2 years to try and outdo Sony in the exclusive department to get the system in gamer's hands initially, so they can start spreading the news to their families. Then the casual market will get wind of it and with what has happened with the original Xbox (abandoned it), the 360 (where is the exclusives for this year and next year? Yah it does have games but all those games I get for my PS3 anyways, and Sony still supporting their PS3 with 2 big new IP's this year), I am a little skeptical with their whole this is a gaming first machine.

I'll wait for E3 to make a decision whether to buy it day one or not althought that Quantum Break game did look intriguing enough to consider buying an Xbox.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@wizeguy: It also means that you can give your buddy the game disc and he can install it for a fee and you can both play together online. Sounds awesome to me.

This is what I like. One person can buy the game and pass it around so other can play with them for a cheaper price with the same disc. And no one knows if Sony will be doing something similar or not. Just because it hasn't been brought up, doesn't mean it will not happen.

I strongly hope you can play the game off the disc for free, and it is an install fee only. But in the end, I do not feel it is that big of a deal. "Additional fee" doesn't always mean it will be near full price, but who's to say until these things really get flushed out, which I'm thinking will be around E3.

riptide0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By riptide0

Super disappointed if the backwards compatibility thing is true, of course I never used it on the 360 but that's mostly because the couple of games I actually WANTED (Timesplitters, Gladius) weren't supported because of whatever dumb reason, I'm 99% sure I'd almost never want to play a 360 game once the new system comes out but not having the XBLA games available is a real bummer, Castle Crashers, Trials, Megaman 9/10, the Perfect Dark HD port, Super Meat Boy...more and more they're becoming available on Steam but all my progress is on the 360 and I feel ripped off buying the same game twice for each Microsoft system (Xbox/Windows), the PC seems so much nicer because when I upgrade my system I know my games come with it, going between Xboxes not so much

new system looks cool but there's a big debate going on in my head about buying this system VS waiting for a steam based machine or buying a minipc for the TV, decisions decisions

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked microsoft consoles, still don't, way to sell me on nothing.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@veektarius said:

I'm keen on the NFL deal, that'd be worth something to me. The graphics on the gameplay stuff did not wow me, however - I honestly think Sony's looked better, though I only saw it at that time. Overall, going to wait for the E3 conference before I form a solid judgement but I'm definitely still ambivalent.

You know with the NFL deal if they gave me the option to screw around with camera views on the field during commercial breaks then I'd be interested. Does NFL's premium online package do that?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I don't think the NFL has an online package for people inside the the US. DirectTV had exclusive rights.

SupberUber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a positive note, the consoles design is an improvement over the previous ones.

SilverTorch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have always hated what Microsoft does with the xbox names. Xbox 360 came off as desperate and pathetic as it was clearly just trying to get the number 3 in there to compete with PS3. Now Xbox One is going to confuse people as to whether you're talking about the original Xbox or the new one. Also it's just a silly, dumb name.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By neoepoch

@neoepoch said:

Games are much more expensive than music CDs.

Right, they are and your point is?

Optional hobbies might be expensive, news at 11!!!

If you can't afford it you can't afford it. Budget for it or find a cheaper hobby.

Don't rail against the console makers, publishers and devs, because, shocker, it takes actual money to make games. The games industry is not charity put in place for you personal benefit.

You don't think I fucking know that? I know how to budget for my hobby and I do it damn well, don't jump to any conclusions about how I deal with my hobby. I'm playing devil's advocate for those who are talking about used games, especially since your analogy was for a market that is far cheaper than the games industry. Furthermore, games are expensive to make, no shit, but that onus is on the publishers constantly trying to make bigger and more expansive games along with all those other bullshit buzzwords because they keep over hiring (which is why you see layoffs consistently after a game is released) and requiring better software the develop for the systems. There are cheaper indie games, that don't cost nearly as much to make and still provide equal or better entertainment than the big budget games.

Long story short, don't put fucking words in my mouth. I know the games industry is a buisness and companies want to make money, that is well within their right, as it is within my right to say that consumers are probably going to resist this model.

MichiganJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By MichiganJack

Well, I wasn't expecting Xbox One. I wonder if this sets a new naming convention for the next Xbox systems; Xbox Two, Xbox Three and Xbox Four.

I'm very disappointed to hear that the digital games will not work. Looks like I will have to buy a new Xbox 360 download all of my digital games and assign the DRM to that system and never hook it up to a internet connection. I suspect that in about 7 years we won't have access to that content.

While 8 GB of ram sounds nice, but may not be enough since the system will be running 3 separate operating systems.

So how much of Shadow Dancer will we get in the new Call of Duty: Ghost game.

Call of Duty: Ghost: Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#146  Edited By Matterless

The only thing tying me to Microsoft was the XBL Arcade investment and my library of games. Rightly or wrongly, my PS3 was just a Blu Ray player. Now that that library will be unusable on new hardware, my decision is pretty much going to come down to E3.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@marokai said:

@devilzrule27 said:

@extreme_popcorn said:

@wizeguy said:

If I have to pay a fee to play a used game I have bought from a store or anyone, then maybe xbox one isn't for me. Who are they to tell me I can't even give my game to a friend and let them play it? So if it going to be true, if I was to lend my mate a game he would have to pay to play it on his system. That would be madness.

Steam doesn't allow me to lend my games or even buy second hand games. I hear nothing but praise for Valve and Steam.

There is no expectation to be able to do that with digital games. However when you buy a boxed copy those expectations change.

The pricing of games on Steam are also completely fucking different from the pricing scheme on console games, boxed and digital.

Steam price of Metro Last Light - £34.99.

Amazon price of Xbox Metro Last Light - £34.99

Yes, Steam has a lot of sales but recently Xbox have been having a lot more sales that have been close to the quality and prices of Steam Sales.

I just bought Hitman Absolution off Amazon for $5. Microsoft will never beat that with a new copy of a boxed game. The cost of the actual package and shipment of that package is probably more than $5. Amazon and Steam have ridiculous 80% or more off sales. A boxed game is just not going to be able to match that. And Xbox Live might have some sales but they are much less numerous than the ones on Amaon and Steam. Plus you have to pay $50 a year to get the discounts.

Plipster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HYPED! Any mention of a new Rumble Roses? I got dumped again recently.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Honestly, i dont give a damn about the pre-owned game thing, i buy games i want and i keep them so thats not a deal breaker, i dont even care that it cant play 360 game discs. What i do care about is that my digital stuff wont carry over, there is literally no reason they cant make my live arcade games work. Until they address that ill stick with my WiiU and PC combo.

Luddite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Luddite

As someone who plays a lot of games, doesn't care about sports, and doesn't care about cable TV, I'm not seeing a lot of draw here. Given the US-centric nature of these features, are they ceding the international audience to the other consoles? That seems like a mistake.

But perhaps they are targeting a difference audience that I am not simply a part of, and that's ok.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.