Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

My XBox One controller is freaking out on me.

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

So here's something weird. My controller suddenly decided to change its button configuration on its own. Pressing A or X makes it think I'm pressing Y which is a BIG problem because A is a pretty important button when it comes to little things like, oh, launching games and navigating the menus. I used the Accessories app to reconfigure it and it worked for all of 20 minutes before going nuts again. I kinda think maybe my rechargeable battery pack may be fucking with it since I left it charging longer than usual because it started happening right after that. It is old (it's the one you needed an adapter to plug a headset into) so maybe it's just going on me.

Has anyone else had even remotely similar a problem? I don't use my One as much anymore so I'd rather figure out a way to fix it than drop $60 on a new one if I can help it.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Did you try removing the battery pack and using the controller only with the cable?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By lego_my_eggo

I had a keyboard that was working fine but slowly started switching up keys on me in the middle of a game, within a few minutes the keys became so screwed up it was unusable. I popped it open to see what the hell was going on, since that's not a normal everyday thing to bug out like that. Turns out someone spilled there drink on it, cleaned it up off the keys, left the liquid inside on the circuit board, didn't bother to say anything, letting the keys short out making it type random things. Is it possible someone got liquid in the controller? I don't remember if cleaning off the circuit board was enough to fix it, or if it was completely broken after that, but its worth popping it open to see if something odd is in there shorting the button presses.

I don't think charging a battery pack for longer then usual would cause to much damage, unless the battery itself was poorly made or damaged. They tend to stop when they are fully charged, and may lose a little bit of longevity from being charged to long. Unless its a shitty aftermarket one, i have never personally trusted third party chargers/batteries after hearing about PSP's blowing up when people used off brand chargers/batteries. I always try and get well made chargers and batteries for that reason alone.

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@vdortizo: Yeah, I did and it still happened. I think I just need a new controller.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@kingpk: Trade it to Gamestop and get one of the newer controllers. They're actually a lot better than the controllers that originally shipped for the One.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.