Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

New Achievement Animation

• 68 results
    ValeYard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ValeYard

After a comparison video at IGN of the ps4 trophy unlock animation, I was surprised at how similar it is to ps3:

However, I reckon the Xbox One animation is a nice improvement:

No Caption Provided

What do you think?

Nubikal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Xbox One pop-up feels too flashy to me, it kind of intrudes and draws too much attention to itself with all the animation. It could do without the whole 'hold guide for details' thing as well, you don't need to be told that every time you get an achievement.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It looks fine, the "hold for details" seem unnecessary. Hopefully the sound remains the same.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hold for details? What happened to just pressing it?

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the achievement unlocked catches the eye a little too much, I much prefer the simplicity of the trophy unlock popup.

Then again, fuck trophies/achievements.

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it :) Alot. Very fresh, and the color really stands out for me

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I didn't really like the colour of the PS3 one, so I like that they've changed it for the PS4.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder

Honestly, I think Steam does achievement notifications the best - just a plain pop up in the corner without any sound.

ValeYard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ValeYard

@village_guy: the hold for details does seem like info overkill with every achievement hmmm...

@beachthunder: I actually really like how achievements pop in FTL, with a nice scifi sound...

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By emprpngn

I hope it doesn't actually say Hold for Details every time. I don't want a notification hanging around that long.

DeadeyeMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having the pop-up scroll between three different bits of text doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

Looks actually pretty awesome. I like how it's so flashy.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's inline with the Metro style they have used on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. I really like the flat, simplistic style MS is currently going for. The Start Screen on Windows 8 might suck in practical use, but I like the way it looks.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm just glad the trophy unlock sound is the same.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

It looks fine, the "hold for details" seem unnecessary. Hopefully the sound remains the same.

If the sound has changed in any way, I am never even touching an X1

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Pressing the button takes you to the dashboard, and I assume they always want it to do that. It makes the game go into a picture-in-picture mode as a tile on your dash.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MideonNViscera

Trophies will always be inferior, even if the achievement animation has ads.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Trophies will be inferior UNTIL the achievement animation has ads

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robertorri said:

Pressing the button takes you to the dashboard, and I assume they always want it to do that. It makes the game go into a picture-in-picture mode as a tile on your dash.

Or it just pops up info about it over the screen like it does now? Who knows

Also glad we can change the color.

Dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reminded me of this.

Loading Video...

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MideonNViscera

@mideonnviscera said:

Trophies will be inferior UNTIL the achievement animation has ads

I think we all know that day is coming. "Congratulations, you completed the tutorial! You earned 50c off a Pizza Hut stuffed crust! Just say 'Pizza Hut' in Bing!"

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Trophies are inferior because there is no real quick comparison. Gamerscore is just so quick to look at and quantifies how much you have played a game or how dedicated you were to it. Trophies are too abstract to really compare.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

Trophies are inferior because there is no real quick comparison. Gamerscore is just so quick to look at and quantifies how much you have played a game or how dedicated you were to it. Trophies are too abstract to really compare.

That's pretty much how I feel about them, beyond the fact that they were a late "me too!" addition anyway.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are all wrong.

Trophies > Achievements

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I need to hear the noise. GIVE ME THE NOISE. MAKE THE NOISE. I LIVE FOR THE NOISE.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are all wrong.

Trophies > Achievements

But . . . but . . . we have actual reasons.

RobotSquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I think Steam does achievement notifications the best - just a plain pop up in the corner without any sound.

But then I don't get that nice Pavlovian reaction.

As for the Trophies vs. Achievement thing, as a late addition to the PS3, Trophies never meant as much to me because they weren't ubiquitous. Starting with the Vita and continuing onto the PS4 though it's fine.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck trophies, fuck achievements.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Too intrusive. It didn't need to be made any more flashy than the 360 popup already was.

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trophies notification looks fine. Very similar to PS3, but I like that the "You have earned a trophy" is much smaller now. I hope it will still show the trophy's image there.. I will assume the images just weren't ready at the time.

Achievement unlock.. there is no reason for it to have 3 scrolling texts, 2 of which are useless. I also do not like that it's smack dab in the bottom centre of the screen. It could be too intrusive because that is where subtitles are usually placed. (I always play with subtitles on)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I don't really care. They're all fine. If I had to nitpick, I don't really like the colour on the XB1 pop-up.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peffy said:

Trophies notification looks fine. Very similar to PS3, but I like that the "You have earned a trophy" is much smaller now. I hope it will still show the trophy's image there.. I will assume the images just weren't ready at the time.

Achievement unlock.. there is no reason for it to have 3 scrolling texts, 2 of which are useless. I also do not like that it's smack dab in the bottom centre of the screen. It could be too intrusive because that is where subtitles are usually placed. (I always play with subtitles on)

They've always moved it to a top corner during sensitive moments like cutscenes. No reason to expect that to change. In my experience it really only fucks over second player on a splitscreen.

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera: I see. I have never played a game on a 360 so I didn't know about that. I just looked up one video and saw the 360 achievement pop up in the top centre. That's good, then.

I still think all that animation makes it too distracting. Sure it looks cool but it's really unnecessary.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There needs to be a different sound between achievements and someone logging in.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince

I vastly prefer trophies over achievements.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera said:

How? What advantage do trophies have?

Trophies are disorganized in the menu, it's ridiculously slow sometimes to actually compare because of syncing and also being disorganized. While achievements are instant and 100% organized. I fail to see any reason to vastly prefer trophies.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could you turn them off on consoles? I know on Steam you can turn it off but I've never dug into the settings on my PS3

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

@liquidprince said:

@mideonnviscera said:

Trophies are disorganized in the menu, it's ridiculously slow sometimes to actually compare because of syncing and also being disorganized. While achievements are instant and 100% organized. I fail to see any reason to vastly prefer trophies.

The only knock against trophies is how long they take to sync. Otherwise they are superior in every other respect in my opinion. Trophies actually matter when playing a game, and when you complete said game, you get a platinum proving that you have done everything possible. The closest equivalent thing to this would be to get the full 1000 points in a game. However this can be done by completing all the achievements in that game, or by playing two games and getting 500 points in each, or playing five games and getting 200 points in each etc... The achievement system devalues playing a game to completion in favor of just playing more and more games to increase your numbers.

When a player has 2000 points, it means he could have completed 2 games, or it could mean that he's completed twenty. When a PS3 player has two platinum's, it shows that he has actually played those two specific games to completion. It's not just a number growing bigger. If you want just a number growing bigger, PS3 covers you on that as well with the leveling system. Overall trophies are just more refined in my opinion.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Syed117

I definitely like the platinum trophy in concept. It works well, but not many people have them. I know very few people who have even one.

Trophy syncing is and always has been a joke. It takes an obscene amount of time. It shouldn't even be a thing. If you're playing online on 360 and you get an achievement, that is it. You have it forever and it's associated with your account.

It should work the same way with trophies. I think it does, but it doesn't feel like it. I'm always connected while playing on ps3. My trophies unlock while I'm connected to PSN. Why the hell does it take 2-3 minutes to sync my trophies? It's a terrible system that should not exist. If I'm offline for some reason on the 360, the moment I log in all my achievements are synced. I don't have to do anything.

Trophy levels are also flawed. What exactly does a level mean? Obviously higher is better but the system itself feels arbitrary. I know it's not, but it feels that way. It's not organized. I don't know how much each trophy changes my level. I'm only level 8 or 9, but I don't really know what that means. If my friend is level 12 or 15, how much higher is that. Has he played a million games and gotten all bronze trophies or played a few and gotten all of them?

Achievement points are just that. Points. The average person doesn't care about 100% in a game. Having a higher number that is calculated by adding points is just simpler. It would be like having achievement levels. Every 5000 points gets you a level, but much less abstract because there is no transparency when it comes to trophies.

At this point I don't really care about either. I start caring about achievements every time I'm about to hit a milestone. Usually every 10,000. When I'm close I'll go back and find achievements that I might enjoy doing and I can tell at a glance how many points I need. It's easy. Getting a trophy level is another layer deeper. If I'm close to a level, how would I figure out if it need a bronze or silver or a combination. It's just not as easy as seeing that I need 100 points and finding achievements that are worth that much.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syed117 said:

I definitely like the platinum trophy in concept. It works well, but not many people have them. I know very few people who have even one.

Trophy syncing is and always has been a joke. It takes an obscene amount of time. It shouldn't even be a thing. If you're playing online on 360 and you get an achievement, that is it. You have it forever and it's associated with your account.

It should work the same way with trophies. I think it does, but it doesn't feel like it. I'm always connected while playing on ps3. My trophies unlock while I'm connected to PSN. Why the hell does it take 2-3 minutes to sync my trophies? It's a terrible system that should not exist. If I'm offline for some reason on the 360, the moment I log in all my achievements are synced. I don't have to do anything.

Trophy levels are also flawed. What exactly does a level mean? Obviously higher is better but the system itself feels arbitrary. I know it's not, but it feels that way. It's not organized. I don't know how much each trophy changes my level. I'm only level 8 or 9, but I don't really know what that means. If my friend is level 12 or 15, how much higher is that. Has he played a million games and gotten all bronze trophies or played a few and gotten all of them?

Achievement points are just that. Points. The average person doesn't care about 100% in a game. Having a higher number that is calculated by adding points is just simpler. It would be like having achievement levels. Every 5000 points gets you a level, but much less abstract because there is no transparency when it comes to trophies.

How is the trophy level arbitrary when points are exactly the same thing; at a glance information on where you stand when compared to other people...? Platinum's are a lot more interesting way of comparing against your friends (which in reality is all these systems are good for.) If I see someone with 100,000 points, it means nothing to me. If I see a dude with 13 platinum's, I can get a sense of the games he likes to beat to completion. Those specific games were platinumed. There is no specificity to achievements. It's just a value that endlessly goes up.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam Trading Cards>everything else

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Loading Video...

*sigh*

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince:

Why do I care what kinds of games my hypothetical friend likes to finish to completion? How is that information valuable to me at all? A platinum trophy tells me someone did everything in a specific game, but again, why is that information important to me? Should I be impressed that he did every single obscure thing in a game?

I don't have random dudes on my friends list for either platform. Only people I personally know and I know all those people well enough to know their gaming habits. Platinum trophies don't mean as much to me personally as their trophy level. Who cares if someone has 5 platinum trophies but has only played those 5 games? Spending time doing every little thing when they could be playing more games.

My achievement score is around 45,000. There might be two or three full 1000 point games. I'm not really interested in getting every achievement, I never have been. I'm more interested in playing more games. Knowing that about someone is a lot more important to me.

Given the choice between having 50 games completed to 1000 points or 100 games completed to 500 points. I'd rather play twice as many games.

When I get my hands on the xbox one and I get close to 50,000, I will start to care a bit until I cross it. Again, I'll see exactly how many points I need and I'll easily find the achievements to get me there.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

I think I don't really care. They're all fine. If I had to nitpick, I don't really like the colour on the XB1 pop-up.

The color can be changed, But who cares.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

@liquidprince said:

@mideonnviscera said:

The only knock against trophies is how long they take to sync. Otherwise they are superior in every other respect in my opinion. Trophies actually matter when playing a game, and when you complete said game, you get a platinum proving that you have done everything possible. The closest equivalent thing to this would be to get the full 1000 points in a game. However this can be done by completing all the achievements in that game, or by playing two games and getting 500 points in each, or playing five games and getting 200 points in each etc... The achievement system devalues playing a game to completion in favor of just playing more and more games to increase your numbers.

When a player has 2000 points, it means he could have completed 2 games, or it could mean that he's completed twenty. When a PS3 player has two platinum's, it shows that he has actually played those two specific games to completion. It's not just a number growing bigger. If you want just a number growing bigger, PS3 covers you on that as well with the leveling system. Overall trophies are just more refined in my opinion.

I feel it's important to point out that Microsoft added a list of completed games to people's profiles, so you get the equivalent of a Platinum Trophy for getting 100% of a game's Achievements.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LiquidPrince

@syed117 said:

@liquidprince:

Why do I care what kinds of games my hypothetical friend likes to finish to completion? How is that information valuable to me at all? A platinum trophy tells me someone did everything in a specific game, but again, why is that information important to me? Should I be impressed that he did every single obscure thing in a game?

I don't have random dudes on my friends list for either platform. Only people I personally know and I know all those people well enough to know their gaming habits. Platinum trophies don't mean as much to me personally as their trophy level. Who cares if someone has 5 platinum trophies but has only played those 5 games? Spending time doing every little thing when they could be playing more games.

My achievement score is around 45,000. There might be two or three full 1000 point games. I'm not really interested in getting every achievement, I never have been. I'm more interested in playing more games. Knowing that about someone is a lot more important to me.

Given the choice between having 50 games completed to 1000 points or 100 games completed to 500 points. I'd rather play twice as many games.

When I get my hands on the xbox one and I get close to 50,000, I will start to care a bit until I cross it. Again, I'll see exactly how many points I need and I'll easily find the achievements to get me there.

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

But seriously, if the aspect of competition and comparison means nothing to you, then that really makes the entirety of the achievement/trophy phenomenon meaningless. Some would argue that it is pointless, but to those who find it valuable, usually don't find it valuable simply because they like to see a number get bigger. The idea of A/T's has some inherent need to be able to brag, or compare. My statement is evidently not directed towards someone like you since you identify yourself as one of the people who does not really care about A/T's.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheHT

@bigjeffrey: Ah, then I all the way don't care, haha.

@peffy said:

I hope it will still show the trophy's image there.. I will assume the images just weren't ready at the time.

The grey trophy picture on the left of the notification looks like a placeholder image. I'm sure trophy images will still be a thing.

@liquidprince said:

@mideonnviscera said:

I'm pretty sure there isn't actually a vast difference between the two.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Trophies always were and always will be pretty lame. Even steam saw how to do it right by copying achievements from the 360. Trophies, friend and profile management are things that make me really hesitant about the PS4 purchase since they were handled so poorly on the PS3.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#50  Edited By isomeri

I don't want to make a new thread for this and it might have been linked somewhere else already, but hey here's the new boot animation for Xbox One.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.