Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

New Xbox owner - I have some questions

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I am trying to get my head around some features and need help.

1. - Taking screenshots. At first this boggled my mind, because I disabled all capture features because I don't need the Xbox to record clips for me automaticaly and I don't really need to do it manualy either. I didn't realise this also disables screenshots. Afer enableing the feature again, I only found the option to pause the game with the main Xbox button and then press Y. Is this the only way to take a screngrab? On PS4 I have the SHARE button set up to take a screenshot by pressing it (and holding for recording) and the notification for this disabled, which means I can just push it and get back to it when I want to, without interrupting the gameplay in any way. Is there a way to do something similar on Xbox? Can I disable game video recording but still have an option to take a screenshot?

2. - Game volume while using headphones. I use headphones 90% of the time playing games, using the jack on the controller On PS4 Ican plug them in and it automaticaly reduces the speaker volume to zero. Xbox just keeps playing both, so I have to takee it down manually. I can not find any setting to correct this, I was thinking it might be an issue of setting the headphones as a headset for chat only or something like that, but I don't know where elese to look. To be clear, I want the game audio on headphones via controller why my speakers would be silent without the need to mute them with my TV remote. I often switch between PC and consoles and hate constatnly adjusting the audio.

Thanks in advance. If there are other people with questions, feel free to throw them in this thread of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@quipido: Yeah the headphone audio is a bit weird. It's been a while but I think there's a setting you can set while the headphones are plugged in that says to mute the television audio. I can't remember though and remember scratching my head over it when I faced a similar problem. Don't remember what my solution was either. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'd actually like some clarity on this issue as well.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Let us know if you ever figure out how to get to your games cause from what I hear on both podcasts it’s basically impossible!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Quipido

@humanity said:

Let us know if you ever figure out how to get to your games cause from what I hear on both podcasts it’s basically impossible!

What do you mean "get to your games"?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"get to your games"?

It's literally the default icon on the main screen, "My Games and Apps".

As far as the headphone audio, I believe in the system settings there is an audio level setting for headphones.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retrometal: Yes, there is a headphone audio level adjustment bar, but at the same time the audio continues to output to HDMI, which is my problem.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido said:
    @humanity said:

What do you mean "get to your games"?

I was just joking around cause whenever the bomb crew bring up the Xbox One on the Bombcast everyone always points out how they can never find the games because the UI is so confusing (I'm sure it's fine).

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Quipido

@humanity: Oh, ok. Yeah it's fine, but I do prefer how the management is on PS4...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido said:

@humanity: Oh, ok. Yeah it's fine, but I do prefer how the management is on PS4...

Yah but it's like, not hidden right?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Of course not, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with it. The lists of all installed, purchased but not installed games is literally on the home screen all the time and accesible on the home button, two clicks away all the time. If those lists are too big, you can use a custom list (called "pins") to add whatever you like, or customise the home screen itself. It's a consumer device made for masses, of course it's at least somewhat user friendly, even if less so then the other consoles.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido: Personally I dislike the filmstrip UI of the PS4. Everything is just too big, the font, the icons, the buttons.. it feels like a UI made for TV's from 10 years ago.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By whitegreyblack

@humanity: It used to be a bit more of a pain than it is now. The latest UI changes are not too bad - one of the major enhancements was to make getting to "My games and apps" and "My pins" faster and easier. I still think the UI in general is a bit clunkier and less intuitive than other consoles, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.