Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Question for XB1X owners, maybe specifically Project Scorpio edition owners?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RetroMetal

I got my XB1X Project Scorpio edition on launch day as I pre-ordered it through Amazon.

Ever since hooking it up I thought my TV was starting to fail, let me explain.

I had (still have the TV, just in another room now) a 55" Vizio 3D TV (1080p, from about 2012 I think) and everything in the entertainment center (PS4 Pro, AppleTV, XBox One X, Cable box, Nintendo Switch base and a Roku Ultra) connected to a Onkyo receiver. The receiver was from around 2012/2013 also. So it was new enough that it would pass 4K video and 3D but not new enough to pass HDR signal.

Periodically while using the XB1X the Vizio TV would just turn off without warning. I could turn it back on and everything would be fine for a random period of time and it would turn off again. So I assumed my TV was starting to die.

So, I purchased a new Pioneer receiver that is 4K and HDR compatible and a new 55" LG TV that is 4K and HDR.

So, now, connected to this new receiver, the TV doesn't turn off randomly, but the receiver will randomly switch inputs to "TV" source and I have to turn it back to the input that the XB1X is connected to. Everything is fine, other than it just apparently stops sending video output over the HDMI port. Which seemed to confuse my older TV into just turning off, and my new receiver thinks it's been turned off so it switches to another input.

Has anyone else had this issue? There is a small Redit thread about this same issue but not many people have posted to it, so I thought I would see if anyone here had been experiencing this?

Also, it might be limited to Project Scorpio models? Not sure.

I contacted Amazon and they said the would refund me, but I can't exchange it for another Project Scorpio unit as they don't have them in stock any longer.

So, now I wonder if I need to contact Microsoft about this. Even if they do help me out, they will send me a "refurb" unit, which sucks as I bought this thing new... I should have a new unit. But I just want a working unit.

Should I refund through Amazon and just buy a "standard" XB1X (non-Scorpio Edition)?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By frytup

I have a day one X1X (not Project Scorpio) and haven't had your problem, but I'm going directly to the TV not through a receiver. I'd suggest you take the receiver out of the mix and see what happens. If it's randomly losing signal on multiple devices, the logical conclusion is Xbox hardware problem.

Out of curiosity, are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox? I suppose it's possible that an HDMI cable that isn't 18gbps compliant could be cutting out when trying to carry a 4K @60hz signal, but that's not very likely. They tend to either work or not work, not somewhere in between.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mention it, but I have run it directly to the TV, bypassing the receiver, and the same issue happens.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@frytup said:

If it's randomly losing signal on multiple devices, the logical conclusion is Xbox hardware problem.

Or an HDMI cable.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, tried a few HDMI cables, and made sure they were all 2.1.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fnrslvr

You should probably speak to Microsoft about this, at least to find out what they can offer. I imagine they have to send you a working Scorpio, at least.

EDIT: oh, and no, I haven't experienced this problem on my XB1X, though I didn't opt for a Scorpio.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have a Scorpio edition connected directly into my TV (Samsung 51" 1080p Plasma) and have not had that issue happen.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By GundamGuru

@retrometal: I have a regular Xbox One X connected to a non-4k Denon receiver and a 4k non-HDR Vizio TV, and this does happen very rarely. I always chalked it up to some kind of firmware issue or HDMI handshake problem. It's not been common enough for me to worry about it. I did decide to bypass the receiver and plug the Xbox directly into the TV (to get 4k resolution), and the problem seemed to go away completely. Though that does limit you to 5.1 Dolby Digital audio as per the ARC spec.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just purchased new HDMI cables (2.1/HDR/Ultra 4K compliant) yesterday and replaced all of my cables with brand new cables, the problem still persists. It literally can take hours to happen or it can happen several times within a few minutes.

This is very frustrating as I'll never be able to get a replacement "new" Project Scorpio edition since they were a limited run.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OurSin_360

Might be a fault in the hdmi port on either your tv or the xbox. Also is ARC being used at all? Could be an issue with that. Does it happen on multiple ports on the tv? Also is the scorpio trying to send 4k signal at all? (i don't have one so i don't know exactly how it works), maybe it's an issue of it randomly trying to send a signal your tv won't allow.

Also does it happen if you bypass the reciever and go straight to the tv?

Edit: saw you got a new reciever and 4k tv, maybe check if something like "Limited" or "Full" color is being used on the xbox, and also check and make sure the hdmi ports on the tv are set to advanced/enhanced/2.0 or whatever that model would call it so you are getting the full 4k 60hz signal. Also some model tv's only get full 4k 60hz through specific hdmi ports while others only get 30(i am not familiar with your tv so i can't get specific)

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've decided to just return it to Amazon for a refund and purchase the regular Xbox One X, It "SEEMS" the only difference in the two are "badging", so at least I'll get a new unit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.